• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Overdrive (Pathtracing)

Elysion

Banned
What exactly is this ‚overdrive‘ mode supposed to add if it‘s not full pathtracing? Doesn’t CP already have normal raytracing?

Too bad it sucks ass
Most people say this, and then go on to play skyrim, fallout, asscreed and souls and pretend they have better writing, quests, and presentation lol

Absolutley mindboggling how any experienced gamer over the age of 22 can compare the rpg's of say... fallout 4, skyrim, quest for quest, gunplay to gunplay, presentation to presentation and come to the conclusion that cyberpunk just doesnt compare lol

It does look great but the problem with CP2077 isn't the visuals but that it's all just is a pretty painting with 0 interactivity
How did you feel about the witcher 3?

They have the same level of interactivity...why did you expect more from the developer of the witcher 3? You know this wasnt a rockstar sandbox game right?

How about talk about what it did better than games of its actual genre

Braag

Most people say this, and then go on to play skyrim, fallout, asscreed and souls and pretend they have better writing, quests, and presentation lol

Absolutley mindboggling how any experienced gamer over the age of 22 can compare the rpg's of say... fallout 4, skyrim, quest for quest, gunplay to gunplay, presentation to presentation and come to the conclusion that cyberpunk just doesnt compare lol
Some people expected the game to have the gunplay of DOOM and CoD, stealth gameplay that rivals MGS, the world design of GTAV, the writing of TW3, the narrative design of Fallout NV, the car controls of Forza, the interactivity of RDR2, the first person mobility of mirror's edge, and the best graphics we have ever witnessed.
I'm only half joking obviously, but some people expected this game to do it all and do it better than anyone else without any logical thinking, only to be disappointed when it was basically TW3 but in a Cyberpunk setting.

Last edited:

Filben

What the heck is path tracing now and how is it different from ray tracing? Isn't it rays anymore bouncing about?

Somehow I feel like my 4090 is going to struggle with the pathtracing patch coming.

I'm loving getting 100+fps with DLSS3 and frame generation at 4K Ultra with psycho RT settings.

I'm thinking I'll probably drop down to 60fps or below when the pathtracing patch hits lol. Either that or I'll have to turn down some settings.

Last edited:

Crayon

What the heck is path tracing now and how is it different from ray tracing? Isn't it rays anymore bouncing about?

It's a term for an image that's rendered with only raytracing. That's what we used to mean by raytracing. Then we got raytracing and it's just for some improved effects over traditional raster graphics. Probably should have expected that intermediate period but speaking for myself I always thought of raytracing in terms of all or nothing.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President

Oh, yes those games suck too. Only Witcher 3 and Elden Ring are great.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I am really excited to see what is possible with the upcoming Pathtracing upgrade in Cyberpunk 😀 what do you think?

With all settings on max and Psycho Raytracing it looks already sometimes stunning and it is one of the Best looking Games.

When the overdrive patch is out i take some compare Screenshots 🙂

Some impression of the Beauty
psx_20230317_224405x1ifx.jpg
psx_20230314_222623-3ne7e.jpeg

psx_20221123_090604-6icup.jpeg

psx_20230317_230326zjdum.jpg
psx_20230317_224116-fffpe.jpeg
psx_20230315_212021e5ivg.jpg

psx_20221126_181153ocerm.jpg

psx_20221126_223119-rre5v.jpeg

This looks really nice. There is a shot with a cloud, though, with the sky blue... the cloud looks like it's straight from Mario 64.

nemiroff

Gold Member
What exactly is this ‚overdrive‘ mode supposed to add if it‘s not full pathtracing? Doesn’t CP already have normal raytracing?

In many ways they are kinda the same but have slightly different approaches in the way that light is traced. They both have their advantages, but path tracing is supposedly more efficient for bigger scenes, but don't quote me on that . You could in some ways say that path tracing is good at global illumination and Ray Tracing is good at reflections...somewhat, extremely simplified, keep in mind I'm no expert, lol..

Anyway, let's ask ChatGPT:

Ray tracing and path tracing are both techniques used in computer graphics to generate realistic images, but they differ in their approach to simulating the behavior of light.

Ray tracing is a technique that simulates the behavior of light by tracing the paths of individual rays of light as they interact with objects in a scene. It calculates the path of each ray of light from the viewer's eye to the light source and then back to the eye again. This approach can produce very realistic shadows, reflections, and refractions, but it can be computationally expensive, particularly when dealing with complex scenes.

Path tracing, on the other hand, is a more advanced form of ray tracing that uses statistical methods to simulate the behavior of light. It works by tracing a large number of light paths from the camera into the scene, bouncing off surfaces and objects until they reach a light source or are absorbed. This process is repeated many times, with the resulting data being used to calculate the final color of each pixel in the image. Path tracing is generally considered to be more accurate and physically realistic than traditional ray tracing, but it can be even more computationally expensive due to the need for many iterations.

In summary, ray tracing is a simpler and more basic technique that follows individual light rays, while path tracing is a more complex and advanced technique that uses statistical methods to simulate the behavior of light in a more physically accurate way.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Just different technique within the over arching RayTracing technology.
Path Tracing is generally more accurate than what games have been using so far but even it isnt the limits of RayTracing.
We could go deeper and use Metropolis Light Transport to speed things up, or go to Bidirectional Path Tracing to get even more accurate.
How close to reality you want to go and how much time you have to do that will dictate what techniques you use.
Nvidia and co are constantly improving their algorithms cuz they know we want accuracy but in reality we want results nao!

bbFyORu.jpg

For simplicity's sake just assume Path Tracing is a more accurate form of what we currently call RayTracing in gaming.

Crayon

Just different technique within the over arching RayTracing technology.
Path Tracing is generally more accurate than what games have been using so far but even it isnt the limits of RayTracing.
We could go deeper and use Metropolis Light Transport to speed things up, or go to Bidirectional Path Tracing to get even more accurate.
How close to reality you want to go and how much time you have to do that will dictate what techniques you use.
Nvidia and co are constantly improving their algorithms cuz they know we want accuracy but in reality we want results nao!

bbFyORu.jpg

For simplicity's sake just assume Path Tracing is a more accurate form of what we currently call RayTracing in gaming.

That is interesting. The context I've always heard it used was refering to purely raytraced scenes.

Oh, yes those games suck too. Only Witcher 3 and Elden Ring are great.
Well what level of suck?lol because cp2077 is shitting on those games in terms of writing, creative quests, and world. So is it less sucky?

And in order to "suck" there'd have to be this majestic open world rpg that is shitting on cyberpunk 2077. And I dont know what title that is?

Like...would you tell a gamer that loved the witcher 3, loves half life 2, loves bioshock and stories, and creative quests to play fucking elden ring? No. Because elden doesnt have that shit lol its pretty much about throwing hands all the way through lmao so that games is out because it doesnt scratch that itch at all. Im not gonna play a quest like "the Hunt" in elden ring. Its gonna be *gasp* a boss fight. Suprising.

Abd the witcher 3 and cp2077 essentially have the same fundamentals lol so you should like it if you really like the witcher 3 and arent just going along with general consensus

Last edited:
Witcher 3 ain't all that, either. I get a chub seeing geralt in the bathtub like the rest of you but I don't let it cloud my judgement.
But I like well written quests where I dont know what to expect next. From haunted parties, to fights, to birthing corrupt fetus's, to bosses, to choosing between a helping witches sacrfice children, or a tree cannibalize a forest. You know...creativity. cp2077 had it and so did the witcher 3

Will elden ring or breath of the wild give me that? Or am i just fighting shit the whole time and roaming randomly?

Crayon

But I like well written quests where I dont know what to expect next. From haunted parties, to fights, to birthing corrupt fetus's, to bosses, to choosing between a helping witches sacrfice children, or a tree cannibalize a forest. You know...creativity. cp2077 had it and so did the witcher 3

Will elden ring or breath of the wild give me that? Or am i just fighting shit the whole time and roaming randomly?

Wicher 3 had wonderful dialog and one of the most universally appealing MC's since Bayonetta. General production was very nice.

I thought the dialog was very good in cp, production was through the roof, and the gameplay (including combat, management, and balance) hung in better though still a weak point. And of course it have a boring disposition for a create-a-chacter instead of geralt.

They both manage to add up to more than the sum of their parts but the lack of interaction and sloppy gameplay are twin boat anchors.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Damn, that's insane.
*goes back to playing Deus Ex.

I'm saying!

So long as the game void of any quality substance or content, I don't care how good that shit looks. Their focus should be on actually making it a workable game, this game isn't even on the level of Deus Ex at this moment. Years later and this is the shit they are focused on? smh.
its sad to see gamers more excited about graphics than game features/mechanics , level design

ikr

At this point, it sounds like gamers have given up on this team actually making a feature rich game. Something looking good is only part of it for me as a gamer, if its still the empty shell, tech demo, lifeless AI etc, I see no point for me to return to it.

HazukiSensei HazukiSensei That doesn't make any sense though, why would we expect a development team to NOT progress with AI or NPC behaviors or interactivity? So everyone else can get better, but CDPR shouldn't be expected to or something?

The things being talked about are not exclusive to Rockstar, this isn't about making this GTA, this is about make this game fit the very narrative they are telling us about this fucking living breathing world. So asking for interactive RPG elements isn't even a Rockstar exclusive thing btw, that is what anyone should be expecting for a "RPG" of this nature (considering this very team literally stopped calling it an RPG before its release).

Why make a city like this to tell a story and omit the very features that would assist in telling that story?

So...you'll jump on the "omg FINALLY" bandwagon when they actually make a sequel that has those elements, I doubt you'll be out here crying over smart NPC, a working train system and feature rich game.

I don't know why that would be a benefit to not have those elements or something when that has become common place in RPGs and open world games.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
That is interesting. The context I've always heard it used was refering to purely raytraced scenes.
Terminology can be weird.
Path Tracing itself is actually a form of Ray Tracing.
Photon Mapping, Ray Casting and many other techniques are all encompassed within Ray Tracing.

It would be weird and unnecessarily confusing if whichever technique Game X is using was what they decided to name their Ray Tracing, which is why people kinda just catch-all things into Ray Tracing (meaning alot more cheats and not perfectly accurate), MLT way more accurate but still cheats by having certain rays lookup what other rays nearby have seen, "Full" Path Tracing each ray goes as far as your Max Depth setting is and reports back, whether the ray is fired from the camera or fired from the light sources is up to you, BiDirectional PT the light and the camera both fire rays.

In offline rendering they tell you what technique is being used, but thats because someone who needs an offline renderer knows what kind of results they need, the time frame they have to get results and knows the strengths and weaknesses of the techniques.
If I need to render this:
GTPjayf.jpg

I know what technique would achieve this in the best possible time.
"Real caustics are the next next step for real time if you ask me, and yes those are real caustics rendered on a consumer GPU".

But to end users like gamers.....just say its Ray Tracing and we have a broad idea of what that means.
Say Path Tracing and we know its more accurate....going too deep isnt really pointfull for devs.

Wicher 3 had wonderful dialog and one of the most universally appealing MC's since Bayonetta. General production was very nice.

I thought the dialog was very good in cp, production was through the roof, and the gameplay (including combat, management, and balance) hung in better though still a weak point. And of course it have a boring disposition for a create-a-chacter instead of geralt.

They both manage to add up to more than the sum of their parts but the lack of interaction and sloppy gameplay are twin boat anchors.
Why are you dismissing good quest writing as "dialogue"? Lol

Theres a thing called standards, as a standard, as gamers we want less procedural and fetch quests, and more quests like what CDPR did.

They raised a standard that alot devs rather have as a procedural generated content.

I'm saying!

So long as the game void of any quality substance or content, I don't care how good that shit looks. Their focus should be on actually making it a workable game, this game isn't even on the level of Deus Ex at this moment. Years later and this is the shit they are focused on? smh.

ikr

At this point, it sounds like gamers have given up on this team actually making a feature rich game. Something looking good is only part of it for me as a gamer, if its still the empty shell, tech demo, lifeless AI etc, I see no point for me to return to it.
But...you can actually do more sick shit from a gameplay mechanic standpoint in cyberpunk than you can do in deus ex. Assuming you care about mechanics as much as you say.

Deus ex is stiff in comparison.

I cant exactly do crazy dashes, slides, high jump platforming, throwing knives, hold stances with katanas in deus ex. The upward potential of what you can do purely mechanically, abd creatively. Was more enjoyable in cp2077. On top of the integrating the quickhacks on enemies aswell.

Any seasoned gamer should credit the game for actually intertwining that level of gunplay with creative quests in a western open world rpg.

Somethig Fallout 4, skyrim, and deus ex dont achieve all at once. And I wouldnt say that deus ex's quests are more creatively written than what CDPR does. Otherwise we'd be hyped for their games more often. Theres a reason we arent. CDPR is better at writing

Last edited:

yamaci17

Theres a thing called standards, as a standard, as gamers we want less procedural and fetch quests, and more quests like what CDPR did.

They raised a standard that alot devs rather have as a procedural generated content.

But...you can actually do more sick shit from a gameplay mechanic standpoint in cyberpunk than you can do in deus ex. Assuming you care about mechanics as much as you say.

I cant exactly do crazy dashes, slides, high jump platforming, throwing knives, hold stances with katanas in deus ex. The upward potential of what you can do purely mechanically, abd creatively. Was more enjoyable in cp2077. On top of the integrating the quickhacks on enemies aswell.

Any seasoned gamer should credit the game for actually intertwining that level of gunplay with creative quests in a western open world rpg.

Somethig Fallout 4, skyrim, and deus ex dont achieve all at once. And I wouldnt say that deus ex's quests are more creatively written than what CDPR does. Otherwise we'd be hyped for their games more often. Theres a reason we arent. CDPR is better at writing
thats the problem, people usually do not want to get creative. most people i see abused auto lock weapons or some stuff

katana/z blade builds are amazing. double jump around, running swiftly using cyber enhancements. immersiveness and gameplay is there, its just that most people do not see the value in it or they simply see take the easy road most of the time and pummel down enemies with a boring old SMG/rifle

EDMIX

I cant exactly do crazy dashes, slides, high jump platforming, throwing knives, hold stances with katanas in deus ex

lol and? I'd play DMC if thats what I wanted.

CDPR is better at writing

I greatly disagree. Part of writing that narrative is also things happening in the world to reinforce those ideas. So you end up in a situation where they spend more fucking time talking cause the game can't illustrate the thing they are talking about...so you can't have a mission where its like "this company is upping the price of the train system for personal gain" and actually see it happen cause that feature doesn't exist.

You don't have any type of mission where someone is like "we need to do xyz to their car to hack into" cause the fucking game doesn't have the function.

So I'd argue Watchdogs 1 has a better story cause the things said in the story, are reinforced in the actual fucking world. They are not merely TELLING about the character, you are doing the things the game is talking about.

Cyberpunk spends more times TELLING you about a fucking city or character or idea, then about it actually being able to be done actively in the game. ie "man look how evil those gangs are, sooooo evil...they can't chase after you in vehicles" lol

All of that effects the story sir.

I'm saying!

ikr

HazukiSensei HazukiSensei That doesn't make any sense though, why would we expect a development team to NOT progress with AI or NPC behaviors or interactivity? So everyone else can get better, but CDPR shouldn't be expected to or something?

The things being talked about are not exclusive to Rockstar, this isn't about making this GTA, this is about make this game fit the very narrative they are telling us about this fucking living breathing world. So asking for interactive RPG elements isn't even a Rockstar exclusive thing btw, that is what anyone should be expecting for a "RPG" of this nature (considering this very team literally stopped calling it an RPG before its release).

Why make a city like this to tell a story and omit the very features that would assist in telling that story?

So...you'll jump on the "omg FINALLY" bandwagon when they actually make a sequel that has those elements, I doubt you'll be out here crying over smart NPC, a working train system and feature rich game.

I don't know why that would be a benefit to not have those elements or something when that has become common place in RPGs and open world games.

Let me break it down for you like this. The most I can do is paint a picture of perspective so that maybe you can see where Hazukisensei is coming from.

Open world western rpg's

Elder scrolls, fallout, deus ex , mass effect

I played and loved them all, but for the longest time it seemed that this was what you were going to get:

Great storytelling but stiff gameplay and AA presentation values (mass effect). or bad storytelling, procedural quests, and stiff gameplay but ALOT of freedom (skyrim, fallout ). Or great storytelling, good rpg laws, stiff gameplay, not so open world.

This was what you could expect from the western open world rpg.

Then CDPR made the witcher 3. Stiffish gameplay, but better than skyrim. But presentation and quests continuously surprising and hand writren across 200 hours? Not commonly seen at the time, while having AAA production values across the entire game and every quest? While having true RPG laws? Not seen.

Thats where CDPR raised the bar and progressed the medium for that genre.
For a gamer not to recognize that, is hurtful to the industry as a whole. We need standards and bar setters.

Cyberpunk was made after that, I hadnt seen gunplay mechanics where i could dash, slide, take cover in first person, have huge loot variety, with continuously handwritten and creative quests, while having AAA presentation values consistebtly throughout.

Fallout doesnt do it, deus ex doesnt do it, skyrim doesnt do it, ubisoft doesnt do it, mass effect didnt even do it (but was closer).

They had good gameplay, with great quests, with AAA production values throughout. Thats where they raised the bar.

If you want to talk about a dev who gets away with not really being all that ambitious...look at FROM.

EDMIX

Let me break it down for you like this. The most I can do is paint a picture of perspective so that maybe you can see where Hazukisensei is coming from.

Open world western rpg's

Elder scrolls, fallout, deus ex , mass effect

I played and loved them all, but for the longest time it seemed that this was what you were going to get:

Great storytelling but stiff gameplay and AA presentation values (mass effect). or bad storytelling, procedural quests, and stiff gameplay but ALOT of freedom (skyrim, fallout ). Or great storytelling, good rpg laws, stiff gameplay, not so open world.

This was what you could expect from the western open world rpg.

Then CDPR made the witcher 3. Stiffish gameplay, but better than skyrim. But presentation and quests continuously surprising and hand writren across 200 hours? Not commonly seen at the time, while having AAA production values across the entire game and every quest? While having true RPG laws? Not seen.

Thats where CDPR raised the bar and progressed the medium for that genre.
For a gamer not to recognize that, is hurtful to the industry as a whole. We need standards and bar setters.

Cyberpunk was made after that, I hadnt seen gunplay mechanics where i could dash, slide, take cover in first person, have huge loot variety, with continuously handwritten and creative quests, while having AAA presentation values consistebtly throughout.

Fallout doesnt do it, deus ex doesnt do it, skyrim doesnt do it, ubisoft doesnt do it, mass effect didnt even do it (but was closer).

They had good gameplay, with great quests, with AAA production values throughout. Thats where they raised the bar.

If you want to talk about a dev who gets away with not really being all that ambitious...look at FROM.
lol thats nice.

Sounds like they spent more time making it a action adventure then an actual RPG lol So if i wanted that, I'd stick the games that actually do that better.

Last edited:
lol and? I'd play DMC if thats what I wanted.
Well no dude, you cant exactly just dismiss me giving you clear examples of more mechanical depth when your entire premise of argument is based upon cyberpunk not doing anything right lol

Okay, then when you talk about cop a.i. i'll just say "who cares, this isnt GTA" lol

Thats like if a soulslike or MMO had combat on the level of DMC, i just say "nah i have dmc for that" lol like what?

I actually can see how it doesn’t compare - cus cyberpunk isn’t nearly as interactive as those games. Like not on any level. And I love cyberpunk, loved it from the beginning.

The writing/quests? Largely better. Gunplay - definitely better.

The feeling that you’re in a real simulated world tho is not really close - but I felt the same with Witcher 3. It’s a different type of game imo - I just don’t see how u can hate on cyberpunk and think the Witcher 3 is so much better when it has many of the same issues in that respect.

EDMIX

Well no dude, you cant exactly just dismiss me giving you clear examples of more mechanical depth when your entire premise of argument is based upon cyberpunk not doing anything right lol

Okay, then when you talk about cop a.i. i'll just say "who cares, this isnt GTA" lol

Thats like if a soulslike or MMO had combat on the level of DMC, i just say "nah i have dmc for that" lol like what?

Thats a strawman you created, I never said shit about "mechanical" anything.

What I'm talking about is in regards to actual rpg elements to reinforce the idea of the world.

lol thats nice.

Sounds like they spent more time making it a action adventure then an actual RPG lol So if i wanted that, I'd stick the games that actually do that better.
What? The goal is to get the gameplay in the genre to be on par with those great action titles lol who do you think they learn from or aspire to in that department?

You want that elder scrolls with say... dark messiah combat. Thats the dream lol you somehow managed to turn that into a negative lol impressive

I actually can see how it doesn’t compare - cus cyberpunk isn’t nearly as interactive as those games. Like not on any level. And I love cyberpunk, loved it from the beginning.

The writing/quests? Largely better. Gunplay - definitely better.

The feeling that you’re in a real simulated world tho is not really close - but I felt the same with Witcher 3. It’s a different type of game imo - I just don’t see how u can hate on cyberpunk and think the Witcher 3 is so much better when it has many of the same issues in that respect.
Agreed. But i think alot of people are just going along with general consensus on both games lol they'll say the witcher 3 is good, because everyone else says so. But they dont really understand why its good.

Cyberpunk had more hate, so people are just going along with thay creating argyments that make no sense if you truly understand why the witcher 3 was good lol

So its like...did some of you like tge witcher 3 as much as you lead on? Haha

Because the two games are good at tge same exact things

Last edited:

EDMIX

What? The goal is to get the gameplay in the genre to be on par with those great action titles lol who do you think they learn from or aspire to in that department?

You want that elder scrolls with say... dark messiah combat. Thats the dream lol you somehow managed to turn that into a negative lol impressive

its ok Hazuki, you'll jump on the bandwagon when they make a sequel with those very features =)

Thats a strawman you created, I never said shit about "mechanical" anything.

What I'm talking about is in regards to actual rpg elements to reinforce the idea of the world.
You just agreed with a post that said gamers care more about graphics than gameplay systems and mechanics so I figured it was safe to assume those were your sentiments.

Arent quests themselves a major component of the rpg? More important thab police chases? Real question

Crayon

The optional quest lines in w3 were no doubt more compelling than cp. That is a point for Witcher, it's not everything. W3 had plenty of filler quest even if they were not procedurally generated. And again, those were pepped up by some great dialogue with the quest giver. I had a better time mopping up trash mobs in cyberpunk then sniffing glowing trails or bashing up admittedly neat monsters in w3's minor quests. Not really comparable components of the games, but better not to mention w3s regular encounters.

Well speaking of gameplay. I described both having week game play and systems, but cyberpunk being better. I should clarify that I agree with you cyberpunks gameplay is actually pretty good if you have a little imagination and have fun with it. I do that all the time with sloppy games and I actually had a great time with cyberpunks gameplay. I call it poor because it highly incentivizes cheezy strategies like hacking straight through walls. I cannot believe they put that in there. I had a good time, though. I did hacking and I didn't take the wall perk. I'm sure a lot of people find out when it's too late but I could tell that was going to be game breaking.

Buggy Loop

CD Projekt RED's Cyberpunk 2077 is technically one of the most challenging games on the market thanks to its massive world scale and visual variety. Its neon-illuminated environments and vast Night City vistas are already pushing the envelope of what's currently possible in real-time graphics. RT: Overdrive mode aims to take it to the next level by bringing RTX Path Tracing into the mix.
We all are well too familiar with the limitations of the current real-time direct and indirect lighting algorithms. Things like non-shadow casting lights with non-physically based range, low-resolution indirect light multiplied by screen-space ambient occlusion, or screen-space reflections are still widely used. While delivering satisfying performance on lower-end hardware, they limit maximum image quality and reduce content creator flexibility.
RTX Path Tracing aims to minimize constraints put on the content creators by delivering pixel-perfect soft shadows and indirect light contribution in fully dynamic environments from all the lights - be it an analytical local light, emissive surface, skylight, you name it.
Join our session to find out how the new unified lighting pipeline created by the core algorithms of RTX Path Tracing, can improve the game's image fidelity while simplifying the direct and indirect lighting pipeline simultaneously.
Welcome to the Future! via GDC

I mean, it does sound like they're using path tracing for the GI ?

The difference between ray tracing and path tracing is :
Ray tracing : Follow the thread, its basically known paths from the camera's perspective (so you).
Path tracing : The lights emit the ray and may/may not end up hitting the user's perspective (you). Can can literally get lost. But they have algorithms to lower the calculations of those stray ones.

RTXGI (Ray tracing) + RTXDI AKA ReSTIR (lights emit ray ~ Path tracing), as showcased at GDC 2022, is pretty much fully path traced and 30 bounces

Quake 2 RTX and Minecraft RTX can have up to 100 lights, while RTXDI can trace up to millions of dynamic lights. It basically has no penalty for thousands of lights

Its beyond any Quake 2 RTX tech because it is NOT the traditional Monte Carlo Path tracing solution. God knows what they did honestly, but its a game changer. When you say Quake 2 Path tracing would be impossible for a game like Cyberpunk 2077 is because you think they're still brute forcing their way.

They now have millions of light sources emitting rays.

"Even with the advent of hardware-accelerated ray tracing in modern GPUs, only a small number of rays can be traced at each pixel in real-time applications. This presents a significant challenge for path tracing, even when augmented with state-of-the art denoising algorithms. While the recently-developed ReSTIR algorithm [BWP∗20] enables high-quality renderings of scenes with millions of light sources using just a few shadow rays at each pixel, there remains a need for effective algorithms to sample indirect illumination. We introduce an effective path sampling algorithm for indirect lighting that is suitable to highly parallel GPU architectures. Building on the screen-space spatio-temporal resampling principles of ReSTIR, our approach resamples multi-bounce indirect lighting paths obtained by path tracing. Doing so allows sharing information about important paths that contribute to lighting both across time and pixels in the image. The resulting algorithm achieves a substantial error reduction compared to path tracing: at a single sample per pixel every frame, our algorithm achieves MSE improvements ranging from 9.3× to 166× in our test scenes. In conjunction with a denoiser, it leads to high-quality path traced global illumination at real-time frame rates on modern GPUs."

Last edited:
The optional quest lines in w3 were no doubt more compelling than cp. That is a point for Witcher, it's not everything. W3 had plenty of filler quest even if they were not procedurally generated. And again, those were pepped up by some great dialogue with the quest giver. I had a better time mopping up trash mobs in cyberpunk then sniffing glowing trails or bashing up admittedly neat monsters in w3's minor quests. Not really comparable components of the games, but better not to mention w3s regular encounters.

Well speaking of gameplay. I described both having week game play and systems, but cyberpunk being better. I should clarify that I agree with you cyberpunks gameplay is actually pretty good if you have a little imagination and have fun with it. I do that all the time with sloppy games and I actually had a great time with cyberpunks gameplay. I call it poor because it highly incentivizes cheezy strategies like hacking straight through walls. I cannot believe they put that in there. I had a good time, though. I did hacking and I didn't take the wall perk. I'm sure a lot of people find out when it's too late but I could tell that was going to be game breaking.
How are those optional questlines compared to say it's contemporaries.

Like we need a bar. What bar of a game when it comes to optional questlines or sidequests is cyberpunk or tge witcher 3 not reaching. I need a game here for reference. Theres only so many...

I always get vague critical-ness of CDPR but then people get excited for starfield and go on to play soulborne or asscrred valhalla. So i need a bar setter to understand what exactly you are comparing it to...

Last edited:
lol yea, lets actually reply based on what is being stated vs strawman assumptions...
Uh, no you definately piggybacked on the mechanics vs graphics statement. So if I bring up a gameplay argument like I did, in favor of cyberpunk, to refute that; its certainly fair game.

Especially when i directly compared it to a game you favor.

So if i wanted great quests, with great presentation, good rpg mechanics, with good gunplay you'd reccomend me deus ex over cyberpunk?

Last edited:

lmimmfn

I started playing Cyberpunk on release with a 1080Ti, it was buggy and woth low FPS.

I picked up a 4060Ti, cranked everything up to full except no Ray tracing(not interested), and it looks and plays sublime and one of the best games I've played in years, absolutely fantastic.

I've no interest in this raypath version, it's only a mechanism for Nvidia to sell upcoming cards and create a need for them.

Banned

everything lighting related will be raytraced. the game has raytracing but it falls back on screen space based solutions in many cases.
for example the lighting inside of reflections is missing a lot of detail that only gets filled in if the reflected object is in screen space, this leads to artifacts that IMO aren't even worth it in the current version (but there is no way to deactivate screen space effects separately sadly)

this overdrive mode will user higher quality raytracing and raytracing for basically everything in the game.

this mode will run like ass on almost any PC tho btw.
this is ridiculously straining shit. according to the devs, a 4090 will barely hold 30fps with overdrive, and it's designed to be used in combination with DLSS3 frame generation and DLSS upsampling.

it's basically a futureproofing mode that will in the future run on every PC no issue, but in the here and now is simply a tech demo.
I bet this will be basically unplayable on any AMD GPU for example.

Last edited:
Top Bottom