• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Overdrive (Pathtracing)

Nafeken

I am really excited to see what is possible with the upcoming Pathtracing upgrade in Cyberpunk 😀 what do you think?

With all settings on max and Psycho Raytracing it looks already sometimes stunning and it is one of the Best looking Games.

When the overdrive patch is out i take some compare Screenshots 🙂

Some impression of the Beauty
psx_20230317_224405x1ifx.jpg
psx_20230314_222623-3ne7e.jpeg

psx_20221123_090604-6icup.jpeg

psx_20230317_230326zjdum.jpg
psx_20230317_224116-fffpe.jpeg
psx_20230315_212021e5ivg.jpg

psx_20221126_181153ocerm.jpg

psx_20221126_223119-rre5v.jpeg

Last edited:

sertopico

I wouldn't expect a revolution, the lighting system will be rather more cohesive and showing less artifacts like light bleeding through surfaces, wrong ambient occlusion (ever seen those sharp lines on indirectly lit surfaces which unrealistically divide a lit surface from a dark one?) and such. The full res rt reflections will also help quite a lot, making the overall image less blurry. It'll be quite taxing on the HW though and it'll give us an idea on how demanding the next titles will be.

Nervertheless I'm excited to finally see in detail what they've been working on. Cannot wait to feast my eyes on some new tech.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
They are not going full PT. We can barely run Portal on path tracing, and with lot of trickery.

At GDC 23 there will be a conference by nVidia hosted by some members of the CDP team btw. It should be next week.
Ahh I see

yamaci17

Those are genuinely the best shots I've seen from CP2077. Amazing.

Too bad the game looks rather average when in motion - although I haven't tried it with psycho/pathtracing settings as my GPU is far too weak.
game looks like this at 4k/dlss performance/balanced even in motion

you can run the game at native 1440p and motion will still suffer. only way to get high quality lods+assets+4K rendering hints is to run the game at 4k/upscaling

sertopico

you can run the game at native 1440p and motion will still suffer. only way to get high quality lods+assets+4K rendering hints is to run the game at 4k/upscaling
Well, I've been playing on my 1440p monitor with all settings maxed out, frame generation on, some cas sharpening+quint sharpening through reshade and it looks gorgeous. There are no more visual artifacts induced by upscaling (DLSS). The image is pristine and stable, the volumetrics and RT effects are rendered at an higher resolution, making everything look better. The new texture pack released released by Halk Hogan rounds up an overall excellent image fidelity. I feel like my 4090 is not that wasted for a 1440p panel.

Last edited:

bbeach123

I rather have less pop-in , better distance cars and people but maybe thats just me .

If you install any flying car mod then you'll understand why this game had no flying cars . The pop-in when you're flying is so freaking bad .

yamaci17

Well, I've been playing on my 1440p monitor with all settings maxed out, frame generation on, some cas sharpening+quint sharpening through reshade and it looks gorgeous. There are no more visual artifacts induced by upscaling (DLSS). The image is pristine and stable, the volumetrics and RT effects are rendered at an higher resolution, making everything look better. The new texture pack released released by Halk Hogan rounds up an overall excellent image fidelity. I feel like my 4090 is not that wasted for a 1440p panel.
depends on your view distance too

Thebonehead

Banned
Really looking forward to seeing how this runs on my rig.

The opacity micromaps would seem to be a performance booster on rtx 40 series so will be Interesting to see the performance uplift between 30x and 40x in framerate advantage.

Source: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/dlss3-supports-over-35-games-apps/#cyberpunk-2077

Cyberpunk 2077’s neon-illuminated environments are key to its aesthetic, and with the new Ray Tracing: Overdrive Mode their level of detail is taken to the next level:
  • NVIDIA RTX Direct Illumination (RTXDI) gives each neon sign, street lamp, car headlight, LED billboard and TV accurate ray-traced lighting and shadows, bathing objects, walls, passing cars and pedestrians in accurate colored lighting
  • Ray-traced indirect lighting and reflections now bounce multiple times, compared to the previous solution’s single bounce. The result is even more accurate, realistic and immersive global illumination, reflections, and self-reflections
  • Ray-traced reflections are now rendered at full resolution, further improving their quality
  • Improved, more physically-based lighting removes the need for any other occlusion techniques

Supporting the new Ray Tracing: Overdrive Mode are several new NVIDIA technologies that greatly accelerate and improve the quality of advanced ray tracing workloads, for even faster performance when playing on GeForce RTX 40 Series graphics cards:
  • Shader Execution Reordering (SER) reorders and parallelizes the execution of threads that trace rays, without compromising image quality.
  • Opacity Micromaps accelerate ray tracing workloads by encoding the surface opacity directly onto the geometry, drastically reducing expensive opacity evaluation during ray traversal, and enabling higher quality acceleration structures to be constructed. This technique is especially beneficial when applied to irregularly-shaped or translucent objects, like foliage and fences. On GeForce RTX 40 Series graphics cards, the Opacity Micromap format is directly decodable by ray tracing hardware, improving performance even further.
  • NVIDIA Real Time Denoisers (NRD) is a spatio-temporal ray tracing denoising library that assists in denoising low ray-per-pixel signals with real-time performance. Compared to previous-gen denoisers, NRD improves quality and ensures the computationally intensive ray-traced output is noise-free, without performance tradeoffs.

Last edited:

Codiox

So it's a polished turd now?

Game is still a lifeless open world game. They still haven't fixed the shadow animations while swimming. And don't get me started on the so called "cop AI".

Such a shame, was promising.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Pathtracing? Jesus the PC able to run this well will cost an arm, a leg and your genitals

Its not full path tracing.

RTX Path Tracing in this implementation is mainly going to be for Soft Shadows and Indirect light contribution.

Its still going to completely fuck up our machines, but Indirect light contribution should actually be cheaper than current RTGI kinda like how Remedy had a "GI" that was actually Indirect diffuse lighting, it basically gives all the benefits of RTGI but youll need to calculate the Shadows/AO in a seperate pass......with RTX Path Tracing in CP2077 what im understanding is they are doing a similar technique and bringing even better shadow accuracy to make up for the indirect light contrbution not doing perfect shadows.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It's an absolutely gorgeous world, no doubt one of the best ever created buuuuut it feels utterly lifeless and videogamey and simply a background to the missions.

They really missed a trick with making this not only a technological marvel to look at but also feel alive.

Hopefully A.i. in the future can populate these incredible worlds with actual inhabitants not on an A to B repeatable path but simulate a living breathing world. Rockstar are the absolute masters of this with world's that feel real and alive with surprises round every corner, can't wait to see what they do with next gen technology in the next GTA and how they'll leverage A.i. with future games.

It's just such a shame that CDPR will no doubt shelve this city without it actually reaching it's full potential

artsi

So it's a polished turd now?

Game is still a lifeless open world game. They still haven't fixed the shadow animations while swimming. And don't get me started on the so called "cop AI".

Such a shame, was promising.

The swimming thing is the most minor problem I never knew even existed.

Better police system is supposed to come with the next major patch, they've been working on it for a while.

TVexperto

I have to disagree, in many parts of the city the game and colors look off especially in motion and everything cranked to 4k and DLSS

when it rains and its nighttime then it looks amazing I agree

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
its sad to see gamers more excited about graphics than game features/mechanics , level design
we got the game and its mechanics already (and it seems people quite like it now after all the terrible bugs) so lets focus on making it look as good as it can possibly be

StereoVsn

My 3080Ti am cry. 😉

I get like 50-60 frames with DLSS on with RT at 4K with some fljudicial custom settings. Not at psycho, lol, that's slideshow territory.

It's a shame there is nothing to do in the city and it's called completely non interactive. It's too bad that CDPR is switching engines vs using current engine and building on that.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The screenshots look nice, but the game is graphically sound anyway. I doubt this mode sends many to the store for new hardware. LOL

Last edited:

yamaci17

Fucking seriously. I run with an RTX 3080, and I can never get my games to look as good as the pics people post online, no matter how high I turn the settings up.
most of the trick comes form using 4k hints+lods+assets. 1080p/1440p based hints will never look pristine/clean as 4k hints does.

i have a 3070, i can play this game 1440p high frame rate but it honestly looks like dogwater (for me). once I use 4k/dlss performance, game looks pristine, clean and photorealistic most of the time. its just my experience. some 1440p users saying their game look great. icyberpunk never looked proper/good at 1440p for me. i just feel like game only and only uses proper lods+assets+4k textures if your output resolution is 4K and 1440p is having a weird interpolated lods+texture value.

i always upload 4k dlss performance screenshots to steam and many friends that have similar hardware to me are "surprised" and asks me why my game looks much different than theirs. naturally most of them on their "native 1440p" or 1440p dlss modes. game looks horrible then.

but with 4k dlss perf, i can barely get 40 45 fps. i play with locked 40. that's a tradeoff very few can do. with a 3080 and above u can get hfr though

Last edited:
Those are genuinely the best shots I've seen from CP2077. Amazing.

Too bad the game looks rather average when in motion - although I haven't tried it with psycho/pathtracing settings as my GPU is far too weak.
During nighttime it looks incredible with maxed settings, in motion. I never get tired of just driving around, looking at the neon reflections on my car and the water puddles. As ridiculous as it may sound.

KXVXII9X

its sad to see gamers more excited about graphics than game features/mechanics , level design
It is unfortunate because good art direction can give you really good visuals instead of using all of your resources to make everything look shiny. Resources could go into more physics systems, AI/NPC behavior and more interaction with the environments. Playing a tiny part of The Finals made my jaw drop at some parts.

Top Bottom