• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 PlayStation 5 Free Upgrade Can’t Be Confirmed at the Time; Full-Blown Next-Gen Release May Come Later On

Cyberpunk2077-Missed_me_missed_me_RGB-1920x1080.jpg

Cyberpunk 2077 may be playable on PlayStation 5 at launch, but CD Projekt Red cannot confirm anything until Sony addresses the cross-gen upgrade matters.

Speaking at a recent Q&A session, SVP of Business Development Michal Nowakowski confirmed again that the highly-anticipated role-playing game will be playable on Xbox Series X at launch thanks to Smart Delivery, which will allow the developer to release a free upgrade.

In terms of Microsoft’s console, like I said, we have officially confirmed both the update and the cross-gen availability, meaning that you’ll be able to play the game from the get-go on the next-gen
The same cannot be confirmed for Cyberpunk 2077 on PlayStation 5, as the developer is waiting for Sony to make announcements regarding cross-gen updates and they do not want to jump the gun ahead of them.

There’s no official announcement coming from PlayStation so we really can’t confirm or deny anything. It’s PlayStation that first needs to address these issues and then we’re happy to make a comment, but we can’t jump the gun ahead of them
During the same Q&A, it has also been confirmed that a proper, full-blown next-gen release may come, but only at a later time.

However, when it comes to a proper, full-blown next-gen version, that’s going to come later, we haven’t announced when and I don’t have a new comment here on that.
Cyberpunk 2077 launches on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on September 17th, 2020. Despite the current pandemic, the game is still on track for the announced release date.

Since mid-March, we have been working from home while ensuring continuity of all our operations. We’ve been operating in this mode for over three weeks and to-date results confirm that we can carry on with all our operations without major disruptions. Our goals haven’t changed; first and foremost, we intend to release Cyberpunk 2077 in September. We feel motivated and have the necessary tools at our disposal to meet this goal.

The article says as much, but I'll chime in to say I really hope it's just a case of PR timing here. It'd be crazy to me for Sony to charge for a next-gen upgrade while their competition offers the same thing for free.

I don't think it'd kill Sony in terms of overall console sales, but it certainly wouldn't be good PR.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The article says as much, but I'll chime in to say I really hope it's just a case of PR timing here. It'd be crazy to me for Sony to charge for a next-gen upgrade while their competition offers the same thing for free.

I don't think it'd kill Sony in terms of overall console sales, but it certainly wouldn't be good PR.

I think CDProject is saying here that regardless of the free SeriesX patch (and likely PS5 one too), they plan to make a proper next-generation remaster anyways.

See:
However, when it comes to a proper, full-blown next-gen version, that’s going to come later, we haven’t announced when and I don’t have a new comment here on that.

Last edited:
I think CDProject is saying here that regardless of the free SeriesX patch (and likely PS5 one too), they plan to make a proper next-generation remaster anyways.

See:

I think that's just some weird wording.

We already knew that Cyberpunk would be playable on the Series X because of backwards compatibility.

We also know that the "free upgrade" means you'll get the Series X version of the game for free once it's available. That's not going to be there on day one.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Full blow next gen release means it will run at full 1800p and not checkerboarded 1440p from 1080p. And a stable 30fps. FULL RERELEASE

Tomeru

This is billshit. If they cant release a seperate update, release the full updated version for owners. Its still the same x86 platform.

I'm interested in what sort of marketing push CDPR will deliver, determined as they are to release the game on September 17, amid E3 cancelation, amid a pandemic, and in between summer vacations, assuming most folks will still be able to enjoy them, which remais to be seen at this point.

I'm counting on Cyberpunk showing up on whatever digital event MS have in store to replace their E3 presence, come early June. It's just that their marketing has been so erratic, especially for a game that's as close to the finishing line as it , a game which recently has been rated by boards across the globe.

Ms have double-dippers back's covered. It would be unwise if Sony didn't match the move. I see many people declaring they will be holding off on the game till they can play it on PS5 and with a window of a mere two months between game release and console release, they might just do that.

Mato

Free upgrade, lol. Anyone who expected this is delusional. There are hundreds of millions of dollars on the table for CDPR from a potential port. There's no way they will give it away.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

Very interested to see if we get a 'censored on Sony' version? How they handle a AAA game with full nudity could have long running ramifications.

Tamy

Banned
They already confirmed that the next-gen version is a free update on Xbox Series X.

Yup, that's the point of Smart Delivery:

Smart Delivery: This technology empowers you to buy a game once and know that – whether you are playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X – you are getting the right version of that game on whatever Xbox you’re playing on. We’re making the commitment to use Smart Delivery on all our exclusive Xbox Game Studios titles, including Halo Infinite, ensuring you only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on. This technology is available for all developers and publishers, and they can choose to use it for titles that will be release on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.

This is good for crossgen games, like GTA 5, released on lastgen and currentgenm buying it on xbox 360 would give you the xbox one version for free - if the developers supports it.
This is NOT about BC/enhanced version of a game, this is about the xbox series x version - which is a huge difference!

But I think sony will allow the same, we just have to wait a little until they fully reveal everything.

Cobenzl

Is it really the case that the versions playable on Series X and PS5 are next-gen? Playable to me means that it will run, not necessarily the full upgrade..

mckmas8808

Banned
Sounds more like they know what the deal is but they can't talk about it because of NDA with Sony's PS5 info.

Pretty sure will be the same as Xbox, since almost certainly we will see The Last of Us 2 as a release title for Ps5 in background compatibiy mode with Ps4.

This is exactly what they are saying.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Sounds to me like the next gen version might be a timed exclusive for Microsoft (it's coming via Smart Delivery, not via Backwards Compatibility). Because it's weird to deliver a Series X version at launch and at the same time say that a full next gen release will come later. This could be due to development being much easier between Windows and Xbox, Series X uses the same DX 12 Ultimate as PC and can just run at higher framerate and with PC ultra details/raytracing, while they have to actually build all that for PS5. Xbox does have the marketing rights after all. So it will even end up on Game Pass a year after launch.

Last edited:

Tamy

Banned
Sounds more like they know what the deal is but they can't talk about it because of NDA with Sony's PS5 info.

Pretty sure will be the same as Xbox, since almost certainly we will see The Last of Us 2 as a release title for Ps5 in background compatibiy mode with Ps4.

There’s no official announcement coming from PlayStation so we really can’t confirm or deny anything. It’s PlayStation that first needs to address these issues and then we’re happy to make a comment, but we can’t jump the gun ahead of them

This sounds to me like:
If Sony offers something like "Smart Delivery" - then CD Projekt Red WILL support it.
If Sony does NOT offer something like "Smart Delivery" - then you would have to buy it again on PS5.

But we will see how it turns out. There is still plenty of time until september.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think it's two different things isn't it.

At launch, Gen 8 cyberpunk will be playable on XsX via smart delivery and the equivalent of a 4k asset pack or enabling patch. It might also use the Xbox upscaling engine in use with x1x now.

At launch, Gen 8 cyberpunk may not be playable on PS5 because they are still testing backwards compatibility and they haven't made announcements yet. But we'd still expect the patch to be released by the devs.

If a proper Gen 9 game is made then you will get it free on XsX if you own the Gen 8 game.

If a proper Gen 9 game is made then you will need to rebuy it for PS5.

That's how I understand it.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I was really hoping we wouldn't go through this stupid thing again.

I keep saying but this is a huge advantage for PC gaming.

Tamy

Banned
I was really hoping we wouldn't go through this stupid thing again.

relax, XBOX does support it 100% confirmed.

And I firmly believe that the PS5 will work and offer exactly the same, we just have to wait until they announce it. There is still plenty of time.

yurinka

For what the CD Project said, PS5 will also get a free enhancement patch for Cyberpunk PS4 users.

But they still can't announce it because Sony still has to announce that they will allow devs to release a PS5 version of PS4Pro-like enhacement patchs to enhace PS4 games when played on PS5, and/or the crossbuy featured in PSP+PS Vita+PS3+PS4.

If Sony offers something like "Smart Delivery" - then CD Projekt Red WILL support it.
If Sony does NOT offer something like "Smart Delivery" - then you would have to buy it again on PS5.
Smart Delivery is just Sony's Crossbuy feature (+ Pro/X patches) with another name.
Sony implemented crossbuy in all their current gen and previous gen consoles and handhelds and PS5 is confirmed to be BC. For sure PS5 will feature crossbuy, and very likely PS4 Pro-like free enhacement patches. They just have to wait until announce them once desired (probably once they reveal the console or OS UI/UX and related features).

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
For what the CD Project said, PS5 will also get a free enhancement patch for Cyberpunk PS4 users.

But they still can't announce it because Sony still has to announce that they will allow devs to release a PS5 version of PS4Pro-like enhacement patchs to enhace PS4 games when played on PS5, and/or the crossbuy featured in PSP+PS Vita+PS3+PS4.

Smart Delivery is just Sony's Crossbuy feature (+ Pro/X patches) with another name.
Sony implemented crossbuy in all their current gen and previous gen consoles and handhelds and PS5 is confirmed to be BC. For sure PS5 will feature crossbuy, and very likely PS4 Pro-like free enhacement patches. They just have to wait until announce them once desired (probably once they reveal the console or OS UI/UX and related features).

Yep, kinda funny how Xbox fans fall for that stupid marketing name like if Smart Delivering is something new and amazing lol

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
There is no way I'm playing this on current gen. I'll be waiting for the Series X experience.

Same with FFVII remake.

I'm going to try to do the same. I hope Game Pass has some truly killer games in September to help me avoid the temptation to jump on CP2077 day 1. I really want to experience it for the 1st time on the XsX, after Halo Infinite of course.

Pallas

So we know both next gen consoles will be backwards compatible with this gen, so both next gen consoles will play this game but only those who had purchased CP2077 for the Xbox One will get the next gen upgraded version for free via the smart delivery system on the series X.

It honestly sounds more than just a patch, but the full blown upgraded next gen title of 2077. Sony will hopefully have something similar but they haven’t announced anything about it yet.

Sony sells millions more of the witcher 3, cd project gives ms exclusivity. Sony should just stop cd project games on ps5.

Should put down the peace pipe for a bit.

Aidah

Ah, so these free upgrades, whether on XBX or PS5, aren't a "proper" next gen version.

I guess remasters of current gen games are still in.

Last edited:

Aidah

It honestly sounds more than just a patch, but the full blown upgraded next gen title of 2077
Actually it sounds very much like a patch, as he says right there at the bottom a next gen version will come later.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Some very confusing wording here, especially in regards to the already announced XSX version -- "A full blown next gen version will come later".

So does that lead us to believe the Xbox Series X version we're supposed to get for "free" with the Xbox One version is just a BC-enhanced version of the game? Because it's sounding an awful lot like that's the case. Why else would he use the "A full blown next gen version" line?

Geki-D

Banned
Some very confusing wording here, especially in regards to the already announced XSX version -- "A full blown next gen version will come later".

So does that lead us to believe the Xbox Series X version we're supposed to get for "free" with the Xbox One version is just a BC-enhanced version of the game? Because it's sounding an awful lot like that's the case. Why else would he use the "A full blown next gen version" line?
I was wondering the same thing. Under that context, what does a "free upgrade" actually refer to? If the "full blown next gen version" comes out a year after the current gen one, and I go out and buy the game second hand for XB1, will I just get the XSX version for free because it's in my library? What if I get the game at launch on XB1 then sell the disc? The thing is "full blown next gen version" coming later implies another disc all together.

He says the update will be playable "from the get-go on the next-gen", so that means the XB1 version but that clashes with the idea of the actual next gen version coming later. Sounds like an upgrade at launch, but a separate game later on. So what do you actually get for free as the upgrade?

It's all very unclear and it sounds like making actual to spec next gen versions that take extra dev time to the point they need to be released later will be a massive money sink if they have to give it away for free.

Pallas

Actually it sounds very much like a patch, as he says right there at the bottom a next gen version will come later.

We will see, I don’t see the point of emphasizing that it’s something new and free if its just a patch.

Can't wait for Digital Foundry to do an analysis on this game, between next gen consoles and pc. I'll definitely have popcorn ready, and head over to the forums to be entertained.

Batiman

Banned
Ya I got so many games to play right now and will wait to play this on series x along with FF7. Will play tlou2 on ps5.
FF7 is like my favourite game of all time but I can’t believe I’m able to wait that one out. Demo was alright and the whole midgar thing makes me less hyped.

Aidah

We will see, I don’t see the point of emphasizing that it’s something new and free if its just a patch.
Anyway, even if the patch is just higher resolution and frame rate, it's still very significant, especially if current consoles will struggle to run it.

Edit: Apparently they clarified. At launch playable, enhanced later.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Surely this is up to the publisher, not the console maker.
Up patching a game to a new system is something the console maker needs to confirm, like if that's possible. Platform holders do actually vet updates anyway. Though it could also be that Sony have told them to not say anything yet because they want to use it as a selling point when they do a full console reveal, like MS did.

RaySoft

Devs are under NDA's, so they can't deny or confirm ANYTHING that Sony themselves has not confirmed already.

Last edited:

Fbh

Sounds like they just need Sony to properly announced their plans for cross buy/cross gen stuff before they are allowed to say anything.

I'm expecting it will be something like:
Series X: Available at launch with a patch that takes advantage of the better hardware which will translate into higher resolution, better frame rate and some overall visuals improvements that are available on PC but not on current gen consoles (probably the equivalent of graphical settings going from low-mid to high-ultra)
Free if you own it on Xb1

Ps5: Available at launch, might get some improvements from "boost mode". Enhancement patch still uncertain (though I would expect so)
Free if you own it on Ps4

Assuming it's a big hit, at some point after 1-2 years they'll release a "proper next gen" version, possibly with new features and content as well as visual enhancements that weren't on PC either in the original version. That one will either be a paid upgrade on Ps5/Series X or a whole new release. Depending on how big it is I see them releasing it as a free update on PC but maybe it will be a paid one (like Skyrim Definitive).

Last edited:
Top Bottom