• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Preview Ran at 1080p with DLSS 2.0 Enabled on an RTX 2080Ti Powered PC

thelastword

Banned
A few select colleagues in the press were recently able to access a Cyberpunk 2077 preview build in order to try the highly anticipated open world game in development at CD PROJEKT RED.

While some apparently had remote access to the game via GeForce NOW, others such as PC Games Hardware got to actually play on a proper PC at a local event. The performance report from the German publication is a bit concerning on multiple levels, as the Cyberpunk 2077 preview apparently ran at 1080p with DLSS 2.0 enabled (announced yesterday by NVIDIA to be available for the game) and some (but not all) raytracing effects enabled on a computer powered by the mighty RTX 2080Ti graphics card.

We play in Full HD - a fact that we first have to digest a bit, given the RTX 2080 Ti in the Alienware presentation computer, there should actually be a little more in the pixel density. In addition, DLSS is activated, so the internal render resolution is again less than 1,920 × 1080 pixels. But ray tracing is also active, in our preview version in the form of shadows, ambient occlusion and indirect lighting (Ray Traced Diffuse Illumination). As we have also known since our Gamescom 2018 impressions of the raytracing titles that appeared later, they run much better after the release - whether it is Battlefield 5 , Metro Exodus or Shadow of the Tomb Raider. The already integrated DLSS already makes a very good impression. Even for Full HD, the picture on the huge 65-inch telly looked relatively sharp, despite the fact that the preview version had chromatic aberration and film grain switched on. The graphics menu was not yet integrated in our build.
From our previous experience with DLSS 2.0, we know that the rendering resolution can go as low as 540p with a 1080p output resolution, though we don't know for sure that was the case in the Cyberpunk 2077 preview.

Additionally, as mentioned earlier, the raytraced reflections are apparently missing from this build and enabling them would certainly make the game even more taxing on any system. Even with all these caveats, the frame rate dropped below 60fps and down to roughly 30fps in at least one instance, as the article's author added in a forum post.

But at least at one point, the performance has dropped to ~ 30 fps or even just below it, I could see that and noticed it on the controller. In addition, the game is often jerky, especially when driving. The rest of the time it was okay, but in my opinion, it only relatively rarely hit 60 fps or more.
That's not to say the Cyberpunk 2077 preview was bad by any means, as the PC Games Hardware article points out that it looks a lot better than previously released gameplay footage, particularly thanks to the ray traced ambient occlusion, diffuse illumination and shadows. However, it is clear that there is a lot for CD Projekt RED left to optimize and we now understand the latest delay a bit more.

The RTX 2080Ti should be able to play the game at 4K resolution with DLSS 2.0 active and all ray tracing effects enabled, while it seems to be struggling a bit even at 1080p for the time being. Let's hope these final five months can be fully devoted to optimization (and bug squashing, of course).

https://wccftech.com/cyberpunk-2077...dlss-2-0-enabled-on-an-rtx-2080ti-powered-pc/

GHG

Gold Member
People who play this on the baseline current gen consoles will be made to feel like switch owners minus the portability.

Based on a few of the previews it seems like the console versions are pretty much the reason for the delay.

And people are out here championing Lockhart.

Oh well.

Mister Wolf

I remember when people were having a panic attack when Battlefield and Metro Exodus were shown running at 1080p 60fps with raytracing on a 2080ti before their release.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Wow. Punching down a top-of-the-line PC rig to sub-1080p? It's no wonder it looks so next-gen, it... essentially is.

This is also a fantastic showing for DLSS, as I don't think anyone was able to tell yesterday.

What does this mean for the base consoles and less powerful PCs though? Unless the game is insanely scalable, I'm instantly thinking 'Uh-oh' with this news. Maybe even a bit for Xbox One X and PS4 Pro.

I feel justified in my decision to play this on next-gen, for right now, though.

Gravemind

Yeah I'll definitely be playing this on next gen hardware.

Im kind of glad it's been delayed again to be honest. I'm not sure I would have been able to wait a couple of months to purchase it. I definetly would have caved and then had to play it on base Xbox One/ base PS4.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Will be playing on Series X so I won't have any issues whatsoever but current gen consoles will still have the game look amazing. Look at AC Odyssey and RDR 2 for PS4 and Xbox One. They still look great.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Doesn’t surprise me it was running on 2080Ti, what does surprise me is how different this is going to look on a base PS4/Xbox One 🥴.

Hopefully my 2070Super can handle this monster at decent settings/frame rate.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

kgyU37i.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
Will be playing on Series X so I won't have any issues whatsoever but current gen consoles will still have the game look amazing. Look at AC Odyssey and RDR 2 for PS4 and Xbox One. They still look great.

Those games are nowhere near as dense or detailed as Cyberpunk though.

Skill Up basically said this was as if someone had taken a highly detailed linear single player game (I think he referenced the last of us 2) and then made it so that the amount of detail, variation and density remained at that level throughout a whole open world.

lukilladog

That´s the mission nvidia engineers are given when they are sent to work with independent studios on big games, make sure that the installed base of cards choke enough at normal resolutions to make you feel like you need to buy a new one, 3xxx series on this case. It doesn´t matter if the console version can handle the standard resolution just fine or can be ported later to the switch, it has to underperform on your card if you want the high or the highest settings.

Fake

Can't understand people shitting next gen consoles while accepting this on PC at 1080p.

But at least at one point, the performance has dropped to ~ 30 fps or even just below it, I could see that and noticed it on the controller. In addition, the game is often jerky, especially when driving. The rest of the time it was okay, but in my opinion, it only relatively rarely hit 60 fps or more.
lol

Last edited:

GymWolf

Those games are nowhere near as dense or detailed as Cyberpunk though.

Skill Up basically said this was as if someone had taken a highly detailed linear single player game (I think he referenced the last of us 2) and then made it so that the amount of detail, variation and density remained at that level throughout a whole open world.

did the guy ever played rdr2 on pc?

Fake

because pc master race are not all obsessed with ultra setting everywhere and even with a mix of ultra-very high-high the game still looks and plays miles better than console version.

only morons or very rich people care about ultra settings.

Don't make much sense at all. Consoles usually do the same, no?

That bad... From Gamekult (a french media), there is some hard drop on some area... That really not good from a 2080 Ti card running in 1080p(720 with DLSS 2.0 infact)...

Fake

But consoles can't do 4K60 or 1440p120 at those settings.
Do you even read the OP? Even without the full RT (partial RT on), the game runs on PC at 1080p and rarely target 60 fps.
Lets hope for a better optimization.
Thats why I want a option to disable RT. Such a performance waste.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I'm at the point when I see these (And "TLOU2 IS AMAZING/PURE SHITE") threads and I just start hearing that Death Stranding trailer song in my head...

"A silent faulty feeeeeeeling..."

I'm gonna take a few days (read: minutes) break lol

GymWolf

Don't make much sense at all. Consoles usually do the same, no?
you can't choose on console.

on pc you can tailor the setting around your tastes.

you can singularly disable rtx and a shitload of other graphical setting to achieve what you want.

on console the max choice you have is a resolution mode or a performance mode with a framerate less stable than the average member on reeeeeee.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
did the guy ever played rdr2 on pc?

Yes and I have as well (both on PS4 and PC) .

Based on what I've seen so far Cyberpunk looks like a significant step up.

And for what it's worth, going from Rdr2 on console to Rdr2 on PC does not result in a game world that is suddenly more dense or detailed. It's the same thing but with better lighting, shadows and most importantly much better framerate.

Going from console to PC doesn't suddenly result in an increase in texture variety, buildings/props or NPC character models

Last edited:

Fake

you can't choose on console.

on pc you can tailor the setting around your tastes.

you can singularly disable rtx and a shitload of other graphical setting to achieve what you want.

on console the max choice you have is a resolution mode or a performance mode with a framerate less stable than the average member on reeeeeee.

Well, they call dynamic for a reason.

GymWolf

And for what it's worth, going from Rdr2 on console to Rdr2 on PC does not result in a game world that is suddenly more dense or detailed. It's the same thing but with better lighting, shadows and most importantly much better framerate.

imo cyberpunk is not gonna have all the physics interactions, animations and details of rdr2.

just the animal ecosystem in that game is more complete and realistic than dedicated hunter games ffs and the attention for details is absolutely nuts.

also significant step up sound like a pretty big hyperbole tbh.

GymWolf

Going from console to PC doesn't suddenly result in an increase in texture variety, buildings/props or NPC character models

the iq improve a lot too, for some strange reason, 1440p on pc is more clear than 4k on xone x...

RaySoft

Cuberpunk is designed with a more capable hardware in mind, that's why you see the jump.
You can scale down from target quite a bit, but it's actually harder to scale up from your set design. Yes you can up the resolution and filters etc, but you can't make a gameengine designed for last-gen look like next-gen with just scaling upwards. The engine just won't suffice.

Rikkori

Is that the same for the footage they released? Looked really nice.

Base console version: 540p/25fps no DLSS

No, footage = 4K 30 with no RTX (just standard, presumably ultra, settings).

The only RTX footage we have are screenshots released from Nvidia.

This go around various journos (zee germans, skillup, etc basically criminals :D ) DID get to play with RTX but we don't have that footage.

As for dips etc, that's a very normal thing for open world games, even released ones, let alone ones still in full testing phase, and to say nothing of when you add experimental features like RTX into the mix. I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest.

GHG

Gold Member
the iq improve a lot too, for some strange reason, 1440p on pc is more clear than 4k on xone x...

I've said this before but got attacked.

To be honest I don't know why because it's supposed to be 4k on Xbox One X. Possibly the AA solution being used.

GymWolf

To be honest I don't know why because it's supposed to be 4k on Xbox One X. Possibly the AA solution being used.
someone answered this question on the pc topic of the game if you have the patience to look through all the pages, i don't remember if it was the AA method because the pc use the same method and you have to disable it manually with some tricks if i remember well.

i was onestly flabbergasted when i saw 2k screen of the pc version, the xone x version looked blurried in comparison.

Last edited:

RaySoft

That's just filtering. Next-gen brings with it a huge boost in iq compared to last-gen. I guess that's some of the last -Not "diminishing returns" -And "actual eyecandy" left to spend the frame budget.

Shin

Banned
The game was streamed through Parsec, because of Corona - those that were actually invited would have known.
Embarrassing and poor excuse of a writer, to make matters worse and create another snowball effect the OP ran with and everyone joined the bandwagon.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I wonder if PS4-Xbox1x are going to be 1080p
i guess:

XB1 - 720p 20-30fps
PS4 - 900p 25-30fps
Pro - 1080/1440p 25-30fps (upscaled to 4k if 1440p)
XB1X - 1440/1800p 25-30fps (upscaled to 4k)

PS5 - 1800p 30fps with much higher settings and some light raytracing
XSX - 4K 30fps with slightly higher settings than PS5 and similar raytracing

Last edited:
Does anyone know how well the 20 Series card do RT? As it stands it doesn't seem like they do very well. Some people have speculated that the Nvidia rushed/pushed RT too early and that the 30 Series should be able to handle them much much better. It makes me wonder how the AMD cards, and consoles, will tackle RT. I wonder if they learned a few things from Nvidia. So far, the only thing I've heard about RT in the next gen consoles, at least when it comes to performance, is what throw away quote from Mark Cerny at the Road to PS5 thing, something like "i've seen implementation of RT, with very minimal hit to performance" but who knows really.

ZZZZ

i guess:

XB1 - 720p 20-30fps
PS4 - 900p 25-30fps

This seems reasonable.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A little off-topic, but have to ask: I'm planning on building a new PC for this game. Do you think November is a good time, specially with the new console generation so close to release?

GymWolf

Resolution, detail, texture, etc... For quite some time I believe, at least on the console departament.
Is this DLSS some sort of or I mistake something?
dlss is a learning IA reconstruction technique, the best way to have high details and framerates with almost zero lose in fidelity compared to native 4k.

I can only imagine how it'll look on a base PS4....ughhhh.... and for my fellow brothers on the OG Xbox One... pour one...

Game didn't even look as good as TLOU2 on a Pro while running on a 2080ti..... and animations looked subpar compared to industry's best.

These third party devs need to step up big time, at least get to Rockstar level...shhhhshhhh....

Kinda feels like false advertisement considering this game will be consumed mostly by base PS4, Xbox One's and people with 1060's (and lower cards)

Last edited:

Aidah

1080p DLSS, not max settings, a lot of pop-in in that desert area, on a 2080ti, and still drops to console level frame rate?

Sure there are months left to optimize and we don't know how old this build was, but "optimization" isn't that magical when there's only a few months left.

RaySoft

i guess:

XB1 - 720p 20-30fps
PS4 - 900p 25-30fps

To the contrary of popular belief, there is no performance delta between XSX and the PS5. Both will do 4K (4096 × 2160) mostly 30fps, with some titles 60fps.
The only way MS is tooting their 120fps horn is because of their BC catalogue. #thereisnospoon

Last edited:
Top Bottom