• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Cyberpunk 2077' publisher's stock plummets 22% after Sony pulls the buggy game from its online store and offers refunds

kretos

Banned
  • CD Projekt stock tumbled as much as 22% to a nine-month low on Friday.
  • The "Cyberpunk 2077" developer shed up to $1.8 billion in market capitalization after Sony said it would pull the buggy game from its PlayStation store and provide refunds to players.
  • CD Projekt apologized on Monday for disappointing players and promised to fix the problems in the coming weeks.
  • "After three delays, we were too focused on releasing the game," co-CEO Adam Kicinski said during an analyst call this week. "It was the wrong approach and against our business philosophy."

Good. Next time they decide to ship and unfinished buggy game while deceiving customers that it runs well they will think twice.

I'm enjoying the game on PS5 and plan to buy it for my PC as well but CDPR needs to get shit on for this. I feel bad for the devs but the higher ups need to be fired for knowingly shipping a broken game to last gen consoles and then lying about it.

Such bullshit is inexcusable, and hopefully other publishers are learning too from this fiasco (looking at EA, Bathesda, and Ubisoft)

Max_Po

Banned
4ce.gif

Meicyn

Gold Member
Wonder what the floor on that stock price drop is. Might have to buy some shares. Gamers are fickle but people love redemption stories. See: Final Fantasy XIV and No Man’s Sky. There’s enough passion in the development team to get the game into a proper state eventually, and one quick drop of a Witcher sequel trailer will have everyone crawling back again.

Wonder what the floor on that stock price drop is. Might have to buy some shares. Gamers are fickle but people love redemption stories. See: Final Fantasy XIV and No Man’s Sky. There’s enough passion in the development team to get the game into a proper state eventually, and one quick drop of a Witcher sequel trailer will have everyone crawling back again.

You can make a killing from it, they will fix it with patches and the stock price will normalize again

SJRB

Gold Member
Someone in upper management needs to take responsibility and just fuck off from the company.

Aside from the massive amount of false information over the last, well... year now there have been some colossal errors in judgement, which in turn trainwrecked a game a lot of devs have been working on for six or seven YEARS. Imagine crunching for god knows how long only to have management release this game in this state on consoles. And then see it get yanked from the fucking Playstation Store.

I mean, holy shit dude.

sn0man

Without the PS5 they’ll probably have to rely on revenue from another source.

Last edited:

Bogey

Banned
Without the PS5 they’ll probably have to rely on revenue from another source.

They do indeed.

Now what is an absolute guaranteed, easy to make pot of gold? Something you absolutely know for certain will net you a killing?

Witcher 4.

BRING IT ON!

Last edited:
Hopefully they take a lot of time to fix it and fill it with more things to make REEEtards shit their adult diapers.
Wasn't Reeeee hating on this game before release because it was "transphobic" and whatever other reason? Not to mention how often the woke crowd hated on GOG for different reasons.

I imagine they're popping champagne over at Reeee right now due to all the bad news surrounding CDPR.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They do indeed.

Now what is an absolute guaranteed, easy to make pot of gold? Something you absolutely know for certain will net you a killing?

Witcher 4.

BRING IT ON!
lol Witcher 3 got a massive downgrade as well. I am sure they will manage to fuck up Witcher 4 as well. I suspect it will take five years. They will rush it out for a christmas 2025 launch and it will only run well on next gen (current gen) mid gen systems.

Bogey

Banned
They will rush it out for a christmas 2025 launch and it will only run well on next gen (current gen) mid gen systems.

I would actually hope so. I hate old gen holding back graphical advancement.

Cdpr did well not targeting cyberpunk towards the poor capabilites of last-last gen. They only fucked up trying to release for those anyway.

Wasn't Reeeee hating on this game before release because it was "transphobic" and whatever other reason? Not to mention how often the woke crowd hated on GOG for different reasons.

I imagine they're popping champagne over at Reeee right now due to all the bad news surrounding CDPR.
The best part of this is that the game is going to relaunch and these idiots are going to have to go through that stupid drama all over again.

Bkdk

Cyberpunk or Witcher online will likely be a big success though. Should give them enough profits to make future single player campaign releases a kind of side gig for them.

yurinka

Well deserved. Let's hope both they and other AAA teams learn from this and they fire the CEO and management team in charge of taking these awful decisions are fired and replaced with reasonable people.

CD Project management didn't provide enough time and resources to the team to properly finish it with a realistic planning, and instead crunched them during a lot during a long period of time and decided to release it in the current form.

They should have delayed it for longer, hired way more people and outsource way more work to external studios. Now they must stop the development of any post-launch free and paid content including the multiplayer and the next-gen consle versions of the game and to put all these resources to fix almost everything and make the base PS4 and XBO versions look and perform properly in terms of framerate, image quality and detail as expected from an important 2020 AAA open world game.

What's that Miyamoto quote?
A quote that can only be applied to companies with infinite resources and don't have responsabilities with publishers, investors, 1st parties who signed marketing deals, streaming platforms who paid to have it at launch and so on, and that also has many other teams developing big selling games at the same time and many other revenue sources like selling consoles and 3rd party games.

They release one game every 5 years. it's bizarre that they were valued as an 8 billion dollar company.

they are barely even worth a billion.
It's a very overrated and overvaluated company. Even if they end selling well (specially The Witcher 3), every time they release a new game they have a bigger mess, GOG has a very small market share and they don't own any game IP.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Well deserved. Let's hope both they and other AAA teams learn from this and they fire the CEO and management team in charge of taking these awful decisions are fired and replaced with reasonable people.

CD Project management didn't provide enough time and resources to the team to properly finish it with a realistic planning, and instead crunched them during a lot during a long period of time and decided to release it in the current form.

They should have delayed it for longer, hired way more people and outsource way more work to external studios. Now they must stop the development of any post-launch free and paid content including the multiplayer and the next-gen consle versions of the game and to put all these resources to fix almost everything and make the base PS4 and XBO versions look and perform properly in terms of framerate, image quality and detail as expected from an important 2020 AAA open world game.

A quote that can only be applied to companies with infinite resources and don't have responsabilities with publishers, investors, 1st parties who signed marketing deals, streaming platforms who paid to have it at launch and so on, and that also has many other teams developing big selling games at the same time and many other revenue sources like selling consoles and 3rd party games.

I am going to say, and mind you, that's just speculation since I know nothing of cdpr internal workings but I work on commercial software development, that a year ago or even earlier they had enough indicators that shit was going to happen and they had a meeting to decidece whether to continue with their plans to support old-gen or focus on next-gen and pc. At that point refshuffling the launch platforms would have costed way less money. The problem is, because games are very frontloaded, they decided keep their plans in order to suck up as much money as possible in the first week of sales to recoup the investment and start working on something else.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Controlling what games are on their store is a flex by SONY. They don’t want bugs in their house.

Madflavor

Holy shit. At this point it's anyone's guess if CDPR are even going to fix Cyberpunk beyond it's performance and bugs. Even though they sold an assload of copies, that stock plummet and all those refund will mitigate a lot of that. I hope to god I'm wrong, but I would not be surprised if Management cans any notions of fixing the game, including whatever DLC plans they have. Not to mention how likely it is that a lot of their development team might just end up quitting soon.

This could be the end of CDPR. I'm not saying their doors are gonna close over this, but given the disastrous press their getting, coupled with the horrid work conditions, they're probably gonna lose a lot of talent. I've never seen a video game company rise and fall so fast as CDPR. This is one of the all time biggest fuck ups in gaming history. I don't know if this will happen, but their management needs to step down. All that extra revenue they made forcing this game out could not have been worth all this.

Typical, goddamn, motherfucking, Short Term Corporate Thinking. I see it all the time these days. Make money now, deal with the consequences later. Only the consequence came for them much much sooner than they anticipated.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It's still available physically on PlayStation. It is planned to be brought back to PSN and a proper PS5 version will launch the see date as the Xbox Series version next year.

The game is removed from the store, not banned from the PS ecosystem. Every Cyberpunk 2077 owner will still receive any forthcoming patches.

Their stocks were already trending downward. Let's not give Sony all the credit here, if the bloomberg article was accurate, apparently Sony and CD Project Red had a meeting and they came to the conclusion that pulling the game was the best thing to do right now.

VFXVeteran

Banned
lol Witcher 3 got a massive downgrade as well. I am sure they will manage to fuck up Witcher 4 as well. I suspect it will take five years. They will rush it out for a christmas 2025 launch and it will only run well on next gen (current gen) mid gen systems.

So stop complaining about the company and don't buy their games.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
You can make a killing from it, they will fix it with patches and the stock price will normalize again
Unlikely, this is most likely a correction of an overvalued stock. CDPR does not have diversified portfolio except GOG, and that is getting pummelled as well atm.
Stock can raise if they can demonstrate the MP component to be on the scale of GTA Online but who knows when it will be released, if ever.

Top Bottom