• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 studio explains how gender customisation works.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Level designer Max Pears told VGC at Tokyo Game Show that players will be able to mix and match gender voices and body types, but that genitalia will be defined by the latter. Cyberpunk is set to feature fully-nude sex scenes.

Pears also revealed that one way the game is attempting to be inclusive for all players is by having NPCs refer to the player character, V, by name instead of gender.

He said: “We really want to make sure players get the representation that they want. In the genre of Cyberpunk as well, it asks such deep questions about what it means to be human, let alone what it means to define your gender.

“Having that customisation match how you feel is your representation of how you feel… it’s important for us and it’s important to the lore of this world too.”

The designer added: “One of the things we’ve done to make sure the game addresses things a certain way is a lot of the time NPCs are just going to refer to you as ‘V’, because you won’t be able to choose your name.

“That way it helps people know that it’s their character that’s being spoken to and also however you’ve envisioned your V, that’s still your V. That’s been our focus: your version of V is your version as the player and that’s how you will be addressed in the game.”

On character customisation, Pears said: “We have the body type that you select and then the genitals will be determined by that. You can have a male or female voice with either body, but the genitals are defined by the body.”

Since Cyberpunk 2077 is not bound by a predefined character like in The Witcher series, the game will feature romance options going beyond heterosexual, CD Projekt Red has said.

However, one major support character will not be available for romance, said Pears: “Keanu plays a crucial role in the game, but as for the option to romance him, I don’t believe you can.”

TeamGhobad

Banned
tfw jackie won't call you jaina...

116.gif

Last edited:

Despera

Banned
CDPR is in a precarious situation. If they had full control over this project without external influences (and perhaps some biased internal ones), they would have surely allowed players to mix and match whatever body type with whatever genitelia with whatever voice.

But you got people raging left and right over the most trivial things.

Locking the character name to V with some freedom in character gender customization sounds like an excellent solution that will surely satisfy most while keeping the project's scope in check. Good decision.

Fuz

Banned
no. character male or female is called V.

V for Victor
V for Victoria
V for Violet
V for Vincent
V for Veronica
V for Vance
Yeah, well, they should have given us a definite protagonist then. What's the point of customization when he can't be what you want?

I was pretty happy about creating MY own character, but without naming him I won't be able to feel him as truly mine.

I get it, they're tiptoing around SJW triggers, but this is stupid as fuck.

Last edited:

Bergoglio

So CDP, you are saying: "biology is determined by culture, choices and human behavior".

CDP, wait for the backlash next year. That's your business.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Yeah, well, they should have given us a definite protagonist then. What's the point of customization when he can't be what you want?

I was pretty happy about creating MY own character, but without naming him I won't be able to feel him as truly mine.

I get it, they're tiptoing around SJW triggers, but this is stupid as fuck.
the character has been named V from the very start. this isn't tiptoeing around anybody. it's a decision they made. deal with it or don't buy the game.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I've never heard of that before, can you give me an example?
the only game off the top of my head that would voice custom names was Fallout 4.

you could name your character what you wanted and i think a robot (just the robot) would call you by that name (if bethesda recorded it).

there was only a limited amount of names because of course it would be impossible to record every name for every NPC that called you by it. what if your name isn't on there? then they they need to change the dialogue/voices to suit that.

it's much easier just to not let you choose a name. V is unisex because it can be assigned to either a male or female character. simple. but oh no let's get offended!!

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I've never heard of that before, can you give me an example?

yeah the reason the character is called V is because it saves them having to record loads of names and even then not everyones name will be included. it's impossible.
You can name "Shepard" and "The Grey Warden" in Mass Effect and Dragon Age, just to say two (well, six).

I actually have trouble thinking of a RPG with a custom character that's not possible to name.

They just want to stay away from pronouns.

Last edited:

Thabass

However, one major support character will not be available for romance, said Pears: “Keanu plays a crucial role in the game, but as for the option to romance him, I don’t believe you can.”

Y'all are getting mad at the wrong thing. You can't romance Keanu. Preorder cancelled.

yeah the reason the character is called V is because it saves them having to record loads of names and even then not everyones name will be included. it's impossible.

calling them V saves all that hassle. it's not pandering to or tiptoeing around SJWs.

maybe they didn't want to go around it. see above.

Yes, I agree with this. It's not a case of pandering here. Putting a ton of names in an already packed a huge game would be a pretty big undertaking. Also, have you heard the way VO's so your name in video games? It's jarring. I'd rather them stick to just calling it V to make it sound more natural.

Last edited:

DrJohnGalt

Banned
So CDP, you are saying: "biology is determined by culture, choices and human behavior".

While I agree that CDPR appears to be caving in to political correctness, I do think it would be plausible for cyberpunk world characters (NPCs and players) to let culture and choice dictate gender/body type. I came across this stuff occasionally in my pen & paper adventures back in the day. So many of the people in a cyberpunk setting are into body mods, alterations, and augmentations. Being hip and being cool is everything. Pushing the envelope and going for maximum shock value is the norm. The more different you are, the higher your status.

I think CDPR is digging themselves a hole by trying to justify or explain their decision any other way, especially how it relates to 2019 society and culture.

I'm willing to be in the year 2077 we'll still be dealing with made up genders anyway, so CDPR is just making the game more immersive by keeping that argument going in their game. I don't really care since I don't think they're doing it to win brownie points with a bunch of crazy people like DICE, Bioware, and etc have done.

Also - Saints Row 4 let you use female voices with a male body and vice versa. I'll just do what I did then - male body and male voice, or female body and female voice.

Fox Mulder

I love how CDPR has to explain like every other week how they arent bigots. Just make the game you want, it's highly anticipated by many people beyond twitter. There will always be people on either side looking for reasons to bitch about something. Should have kept no fucking Keanu as a secret closer to release. How many lost sales?

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I get they feel pressureed to explain things, but they really don't have to. I'd rather they just show the game, as words always seem to be taken out of context.

Speaking of which. Within the context of the games's themes and the fact it's an Roleplaying game, it makes sense to me. Cyberpunk has and continues to explore themes of ideinty and what it means to be human in an ever increasingly technological world. The human body and the augamentonion of the human body has always been a primary theme within Cyberpunk genre.

The problem I have with so called "progressive" agendas in certain titles is when it's very apparently forced and inorganic to pander. This is not one of those cases.
I can't imagine seeing a game that looks as good as CP2077 and deciding not to play it because NPCs won't explicitly mention that I'm a guy lol.

Last edited:

klosos

I can see it now soon after release a Big youtuber will play Cyberpunk 2077 and make there character with a female body and female V voice with a big biker beard and make a joke video and the same people CDPR have looked to appease will be up in arms again.

take my word for it

Last edited:

Fbh

-Gaming in the mid 90's: Let me tell you about how this 3D thing is going to change games as you know them!!!
-Gaming in the mid 00's: Let me show you all the detail that HD resolution will bring to gaming. And get your friends together because we are taking console online gaming to the next level!!

-Gaming now: Let me tell you how your genitals will relate to the body type you choose and how we made sure to avoid gendered pronouns. !!!.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I can see it now soon after release a Big youtuber will play Cyberpunk 2077 and make there character with a female body and female V voice with a big biker beard and make a joke video and the same people CDPR have looked to appease will be up in arms again.

take my word for it
The problem isn't that they're complaining, the problem comes from the vocal minority of detractors being given attention for the most arbitrary and pettiest of complaints. People will always be opinionated, and it's pretty much a given not everyone will enjoy every aspect of the experience. Why do we need to acknowledge them?

Bioware games have pretty much been doing this for years, but all of a sudden it's a controversy with CP2077 because some representatives from CDPR decided to use certain buzz terms, even when their reasoning makes sense on a certain level. Even though the CDPR doesn't have history of pandering to SJW or so called "progressive" intersectionality agendas.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
When gender shit is the only thing they explain about this game it says a lot about the quality of the final product.

I was interested, now it's a pass. I'm tired of all this gender idiocy pandering.

big facts here folks

lukilladog

This small group of ideologues are making game makers like CDPR their little bitches. There is no need to complicate simple things, because even most of the people that are not either fully man or woman, think of themselves as such, it´s only normal. Now we start to see everyday words and concepts getting banned from games, artificially disturbing the narratives, putting new restraints on creativity. They are so toxic.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Expecting the game to recognize individual names is silly. I do however think NPC's using He or She is vital. This is CDPR cutting corners.

Last edited:
Top Bottom