• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 tweet makes light hearted joke about gender spectrum [up: tweet deleted]

That is one of the worst interviews I've seen. No one (as in the vast majority of people) do not care about gender fluidity. Real gamers care about how well the story is told and how well the game plays.

oagboghi2

Eurogamer's interview with Philipp Weber, senior quest designer on Cyberpunk 2077, contains more of the same shite: -

And when Weber responds to one question and says that there are character names that will work for both male and female characters, the follow up question is.....

I'm starting to feel like this is some kind of disease that's spreading from person to person, cos how else have so many people in games journalism turned into these crazy Tumblrites in the last few years? Do they really think that this is the kind of shit that the majority of gamers want to read? They have an opportunity to interview someone working on one of the most anticipated upcoming games and they spunk half their time asking stupid shit like this.
I would be embarrassed to ask questions that stupid.

Who cares about the "gender fluidity" of a goddamn object datatype in a game. That is literally all it is, when it comes down to it.

benkenobi

Neo Member
My confusion is, if the point of being trans is to be the opposite gender. As being recognized as a woman and not a man or vice versa, instead of a transman or transwoman. Then isn't being able to choose your own gender without being recognized as trans fullfilling the ultimate goal?

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Eurogamer's interview with Philipp Weber, senior quest designer on Cyberpunk 2077, contains more of the same shite: -

And when Weber responds to one question and says that there are character names that will work for both male and female characters, the follow up question is.....

I'm starting to feel like this is some kind of disease that's spreading from person to person, cos how else have so many people in games journalism turned into these crazy Tumblrites in the last few years? Do they really think that this is the kind of shit that the majority of gamers want to read? They have an opportunity to interview someone working on one of the most anticipated upcoming games and they spunk half their time asking stupid shit like this.
Jesus Christ. Burnt it all down

Humdinger

I don't think that Eurogamer article went far enough. They should've asked more follow-up questions, such as:

"Will I be able to use any gender pronouns, or will I just be limited to a couple like Ze, Zir, etc.? How about Thons and Xyrs?"

"Will other characters use these pronouns when addressing me, or will they assume my gender?"

"If other characters assume my gender, will I have the option to yell at them or punch them?"

"If other characters don't address me by my preferred gender pronoun, can I call the police and have them arrested?"

"Will air-horns be in the game?"

Shmunter

It’s a shame gaming sites have to elevate their self importance by pushing social politics. Good thing my kids aren’t old enough to be coughed up in so much ugliness.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
It’s a shame gaming sites have to elevate their self importance by pushing social politics. Good thing my kids aren’t old enough to be coughed up in so much ugliness.
It’s ok, by the time your kids are old enough, gaming websites won’t exist. They’ll go straight to Youtube. Then they can filter out the nutcases.

CD'S BAR

You know what I don't get? When people list their preferred pronouns. It's always she/her or he/his. Doesn't one imply the other. Is there someone out there who really uses she/his, for example. Moral of the story: all this shit is dumb as hell.

Kadayi

Banned
That Eurogamer Interview was hilarious. I honestly do not understand why they fixate on special snowflake shit, that the vast majority of people and gamers don't give a damn about in any way shape or form, let alone waste half an interview on it. The question about whether pronouns will be included...Christ on a bike, common sense alone dictates that the developers aren't going to waste time, money, creative energy and resources on recording separate dialogue options for each of the innumerable pronouns that have emerged from the likes of Tumblr over the last few years. Let alone for a game that's set in an alternative future.

MayauMiao

That Eurogamer Interview was hilarious. I honestly do not understand why they fixate on special snowflake shit, that the vast majority of people and gamers don't give a damn about in any way shape or form, let alone waste half an interview on it. The question about whether pronouns will be included...Christ on a bike, common sense alone dictates that the developers aren't going to waste time, money, creative energy and resources on recording separate dialogue options for each of the innumerable pronouns that have emerged from the likes of Tumblr over the last few years. Let alone for a game that's set in an alternative future.

Judging by the comment section, the interview was pretty much a shit show.

MayauMiao

That won't dissuade them from continuing along those lines. Eurogamer gave itself over to that sort of nonsense some time ago.

I drop the site like a bad habit. I do love how the comment always downvote the author/moderators of the site when they go social justice on the readers.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I drop the site like a bad habit. I do love how the comment always downvote the author/moderators of the site when they go social justice on the readers.

You would think a light bulb would go off. But that is not what it is about. This is all false altruism for a dying media market. They know polarizing content is what is driving their traffic, so they sold themselves out to the current "flavor" at the moment.

Lanrutcon

You would think a light bulb would go off. But that is not what it is about. This is all false altruism for a dying media market. They know polarizing content is what is driving their traffic, so they sold themselves out to the current "flavor" at the moment.

They're soulless goons chasing clicks and riding whatever trend they need to in a desperate bid for relevance.

Watch them kiss the ring when the game comes out.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This game is going to absolutely kill it in game sales. Just like Kingdom Come: Deliverance did. And there's nothing the outrage crowd can do about it. I can pretty much guarantee you this whole "saga" will increase their sales more than it hurts it. They'll get a tiny bit more publicity from it, and they'll also get the gamers who want to stick it to the outrage culture types by buying it just to make a point.

Another little effort that will end up being futile. Companies have to stop catering to these people. If all this nonsense would have been nipped in the bud years ago, it'd have never gotten to the place that it is. They should have kept the tweet up and refused to apologize and these people would have just moved on to the next thing to get angry about a few days later.

EDMIX

This game is going to absolutely kill it in game sales. Just like Kingdom Come: Deliverance did. And there's nothing the outrage crowd can do about it. I can pretty much guarantee you this whole "saga" will increase their sales more than it hurts it. They'll get a tiny bit more publicity from it, and they'll also get the gamers who want to stick it to the outrage culture types by buying it just to make a point.

Another little effort that will end up being futile. Companies have to stop catering to these people. If all this nonsense would have been nipped in the bud years ago, it'd have never gotten to the place that it is. They should have kept the tweet up and refused to apologize and these people would have just moved on to the next thing to get angry about a few days later.

"They should have kept the tweet up and refused to apologize" huh? So they can just add more fuel to the fire? No, they did the right thing removing it and apologizing and they can let those who are angry grasp at straws (on BOTH SIDES btw), but leaving it up would just give more reason for it to continue.

So if the team felt it was the right choice to remove it and apologize, why get mad at their choice? It is after all their game and their company.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
"They should have kept the tweet up and refused to apologize" huh? So they can just add more fuel to the fire? No, they did the right thing removing it and apologizing and they can let those who are angry grasp at straws (on BOTH SIDES btw), but leaving it up would just give more reason for it to continue.

So if the team felt it was the right choice to remove it and apologize, why get mad at their choice? It is after all their game and their company.

I'm not "mad" at their choice, I really don't give a shit, it doesn't affect my life. For a variety of reasons, they made the wrong choice, though. Leaving it up wouldn't have caused any harm. For one, they did nothing wrong. Secondly, the people who didn't like the tweet would have forgotten about it and moved on in a week's time. And three, it's better to stand your ground against outrage types so future situations don't happen like this. Can't let these people be empowered by catering to them. Apologize when you do something wrong. They did nothing wrong. Go ahead and let people be angry, what the fuck are they gonna do about it, but complain on social media? CD Projekt Red had nothing to fear. But I'm not "mad" at them, they deleted it and that is that, just saying they made the wrong choice from an analytical perspective.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I'm not "mad" at their choice, I really don't give a shit, it doesn't affect my life. For a variety of reasons, they made the wrong choice, though. Leaving it up wouldn't have caused any harm. For one, they did nothing wrong. Secondly, the people who didn't like the tweet would have forgotten about it and moved on in a week's time. And three, it's better to stand your ground against outrage types so future situations don't happen like this. Can't let these people be empowered by catering to them. Apologize when you do something wrong. They did nothing wrong. Go ahead and let people be angry, what the fuck are they gonna do about it, but complain on social media? CD Projekt Red had nothing to fear. But I'm not "mad" at them, they deleted it and that is that, just saying they made the wrong choice from an analytical perspective.

I guess, if you think so.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I guess, if you think so.

I'm just not for apologizing if you've done nothing wrong, because by apologizing you are basically kind of admitting you did do something wrong. I think it's wrong of the people to demand an apology for such things, not the person who made the joke. If every time someone made a joke they had to apologize for it, the world would be a shitty place.

EDMIX

I'm just not for apologizing if you've done nothing wrong, because by apologizing you are basically kind of admitting you did do something wrong. I think it's wrong of the people to demand an apology for such things, not the person who made the joke. If every time someone made a joke they had to apologize for it, the world would be a shitty place.

ok, then don't.

How do we even know the team is even doing that anyway? For all we know they are apologizing because they indeed are admitting it was wrong on that persons part. Nothing wrong with that. This is not just "someone" this is a company, of course if that isn't what they all believe in, they are going to act accordingly.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
ok, then don't.

How do we even know the team is even doing that anyway? For all we know they are apologizing because they indeed are admitting it was wrong on that persons part. Nothing wrong with that. This is not just "someone" this is a company, of course if that isn't what they all believe in, they are going to act accordingly.

Like I said, I don't take great issue with them apologizing and deleting the tweet, I just think it was the wrong call and I explained my logic as to why I felt that way.

Adry9

3%, lol, butthurt!

Let's look at that a bit closer: 3% from magazines and video game websites. So that's 1.5% from websites. Round it down to 1%. 1% care about them. 1%. Which is as much as the advertising category. Which is what games journalism is: glorified advertising.

Edit: I wonder what the original Twitter question meant to ask? It looks like the tweet missed out a comma, "I want more, guys," meaning I want some more screenshots. Or did it refer to actual guy characters in the game, which is odd because I'm sure there are already lots of guy characters in the game. All a bit strange, so the tweet really was just a misplaced joke after all.
It missed the comma. The guy was asking for screenshots but since there was no comma it read as if he was asking for more "guys". That was the joke. It never even was about SJWs.

Grinchy

Banned
You know what I don't get? When people list their preferred pronouns. It's always she/her or he/his. Doesn't one imply the other. Is there someone out there who really uses she/his, for example. Moral of the story: all this shit is dumb as hell.
I think I've seen like she/their or they/her or something once. I can't remember, because like in all other cases, I don't pay attention to ridiculous demands.

It missed the comma. The guy was asking for screenshots but since there was no comma it read as if he was asking for more "guys". That was the joke. It never even was about SJWs.

So it was all over nothing then.
You ever heard the funny comma joke?...

Time to eat grandpa.
A comma could save you life.

Damigos

CP2077 Twitter account posts meme response to a guy a gamescom.

Tl;dr - Some guy tweets at CP2077 saying 'he wants more guys' while referencing a pic of some people and CP2077 responds with 'Did you just assume their gender?'

-

A lame eye-rolling joke, sure, but as you can guess, they went ballistic on the other site.

This doesn't deter my interest in the game.

That is a good joke :)

Cosmogony

If anyone wondered whether the fucking SJW lot were going to let this go...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...k-2077-matters-but-not-because-its-cyberpunk/

By apologising, they've now drawn them in and will keep getting hammered for any perceived flaw, however minute.

Representation, the notion that a character is not just a fictional device, a fictional individual, but should instead be primarily read as author's commentary on the vast real-life groups she or he can be pigeonholed into, this notion is a monstrosity. It is fraud at its worst and doesn't withstand scrutiny.

Reportedly, it has been leading to a foray of bland, hollow and shallow characters, because the accusation that by writing flawed personas you are in fact casting aspersions on real-life women or ethnic, sexual or religious minorities at large is always lurking around the corner, ready to cast you as a phobe of sorts and decapitate your writing career in one sweeping Tweet.

The reason CDPR should not have apologised is not because it awarded a tactical advantage to the mob, though it did that too. The reason they shouldn't have apologised is because they did nothing wrong. Moral people do not apologise when they've done nothing wrong. It is in fact immoral to apologise when you've done nothing wrong. They were not transphobic, not offensive, unless you are willing to redefine offensive as anything that has ever offended anyone anywhere, for whatever reason. If that's the criterion them pointing out the Earth is not the centre of the universe was offensive as well, which just goes to show how utterly meaningless that redefinition is.

Vote with your wallet and your mouse. Giving traffic to RPS is rewarding them for their mediocrity and dishonesty.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Oh I'm well aware that they're cunts. Just that it's always worth keeping an eye on the enemy.

Top Bottom