• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Will Support RTX Ray Tracing | New Screenshots

Mista

Banned
Cyberpunk-2077.jpg

Nvidia officially announced that the game will support their ray tracing tech. It’s a new type of rendering technique that’s said to be a huge leap forward for graphics. Along with that announcement came some screenshots to show it off.

Matt Wuebbling, head of GeForce marketing at NVIDIA:
“Cyberpunk 2077 is an incredibly ambitious game, mixing first person perspective and deep role-playing, while also creating an intricate and immersive world in which to tell this story. We believe the world of Cyberpunk will greatly benefit from the realistic lighting that ray tracing delivers,”

Adam Badowski, Head of Studio, CD PROJEKT RED:
“Ray tracing allows us to realistically portray how light behaves in a crowded urban environment,”
“Thanks to this technology, we can add another layer of depth and verticality to the already impressive megacity the game takes place in.”

First look at real-time ray tracing in Cyberpunk 2077:

Vesper73

Looks like ray traced global illumination! Which is the only kind I'm interested in at this point. The future is path traced, and with it comes the cheers of graphics developers all over the world! I'm so excited!

Been playing with the path traced Minecraft recently. No going back.

Last edited:

Se_7_eN

Uhhhh.... Am I the only one that sees a huge penis on that girl in the middle poster!?

The game looks beautiful, going to (hopefully) get one of the new SUPER 2080 TI's for it... If they are readily available.

Last edited:

somerset

Cyberpunk will 'support' anything whose sponsors will pay CDPR some real cash as their bad times get worse, sadly. Once again, behind closed doors, the combat is described as *bad*- the game's biggest issue it seems. But the general public still seem pumped, which is good.

But will CDPR hit their new delayed release date, that has the misfortune to fall into a period where a bunch of other *massive* titles are all releasing as well - missing Xmas is becoming a far nastier issue than it seemed at first. A ton of infinitely more financially stable titles have chosen to miss Xmas for the same reason.

Of course, CDPR is desperately trying to raise cash via pre-orders (hence all the box art that leaked for a game nearly one year away) as well, which has its own issues.

Gameworks is the worst idea in the world for a game boasting state-of-the-art visuals, for now those 'visuals' need a Turing card from Nvidia. All cos CDPR has to go begging for the few million Nvidia will pay CDPR for selling out. Worse again cos people are expecting the infamous *downgrade* that happened to Witcher 3.

I wish CDPR well, but I still think it will be a miracle if they survive.

kegkilla

Banned
Cyberpunk will 'support' anything whose sponsors will pay CDPR some real cash as their bad times get worse, sadly. Once again, behind closed doors, the combat is described as *bad*- the game's biggest issue it seems. But the general public still seem pumped, which is good.

But will CDPR hit their new delayed release date, that has the misfortune to fall into a period where a bunch of other *massive* titles are all releasing as well - missing Xmas is becoming a far nastier issue than it seemed at first. A ton of infinitely more financially stable titles have chosen to miss Xmas for the same reason.

Of course, CDPR is desperately trying to raise cash via pre-orders (hence all the box art that leaked for a game nearly one year away) as well, which has its own issues.

Gameworks is the worst idea in the world for a game boasting state-of-the-art visuals, for now those 'visuals' need a Turing card from Nvidia. All cos CDPR has to go begging for the few million Nvidia will pay CDPR for selling out. Worse again cos people are expecting the infamous *downgrade* that happened to Witcher 3.

Do you have a source for the combat being described that poorly? From what I saw in the gameplay previews it looked dope.

Se_7_eN

What in the hell are you talking about!?

kegkilla

Banned
Damn those shots look gorgeous. If it looks that good at launch I'll cave and buy the RTX 2090 or whatever is available.

Ivellios

What are you talking about? CDPR is doing fine

Ragnarok

I think the setting plays well with RT technology here. Having a lot of neon light sources and reflective surfaces should mean that the ray tracing implementation will look pretty awesome.

Vesper73

tUYjwLp.jpg

Mista

Banned
Uhhhh.... Am I the only one that sees a huge penis on that girl in the middle poster!?
No. They addressed that too because it’s a transgender with a massive penis. So they explained. Check other thread

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member

The game looks beautiful, going to (hopefully) get one of the new SUPER 2080 TI's for it... If they are readily available.

Been living under a rock the last few days?

For some weird reason you have an agenda against CDR. This is the second time I’ve seen you posting BS with nothing to back it up.

The gun/shooting criticism was posted by a single publication, and several other publications have come out saying the opposite.

Stuart360

Er unless there is a new GTA releasing at the same time, i dont think they have anything to worry about lol.

Mista

Banned
I came back today to look at those screenshots. Damn, never thought RTX is actually massive and changes how the game looks!

Se_7_eN

No. They addressed that too because it’s a transgender with a massive penis. So they explained. Check other thread
Been living under a rock the last few days?

For some weird reason you have an agenda against CDR. This is the second time I’ve seen you posting BS with nothing to back it up.

The gun/shooting criticism was posted by a single publication, and several other publications have come out saying the opposite.

It was meant to be a joke, I guess I should have made it more obvious.

lukilladog

Nvidia should focus first on bringing rtx to their whole line of products, not only it´s their worst tech launch ever product wise, it´s the most unneeded, worse performing, and most pricey.

Last edited:
These RTX screenshots look nice indeed but so are all previously released ones. Feels like a missed opportunity to not show the same scene with RTX ON/OFF.

Ascend

These RTX screenshots look nice indeed but so are all previously released ones. Feels like a missed opportunity to not show the same scene with RTX ON/OFF.
It probably won't be huge. There is little reason to expect a higher jump than the current implementations.

b0uncyfr0

Gotta say I don't like this. They pulled the same thing with W3 and AMD cards suffered unnecessarily.

Ray Tracing tech is nowhere near mature this generation. It really seems like a cash grab again by CDPR sadly.

I like them as a company but when they pull these kinda stunts Im remembered they are also in the money making biz, nothing will change that.

For now, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt it will actually work and not cripple performance at launch.

thuGG_pl

Gotta say I don't like this. They pulled the same thing with W3 and AMD cards suffered unnecessarily.

Ray Tracing tech is nowhere near mature this generation. It really seems like a cash grab again by CDPR sadly.

I like them as a company but when they pull these kinda stunts Im remembered they are also in the money making biz, nothing will change that.

For now, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt it will actually work and not cripple performance at launch.

I would expect from such companies to go after the new technologies like ray tracing.
Also the tech won't mature if it's not used/implemented.
AMD suffers by their own inability to push the technology.
Also "stunts"? Implementing some new tech is a stunt now, lol.

Last edited:
It probably won't be huge. There is little reason to expect a higher jump than the current implementations.

Futuristic sci-fi Cyberpunk 2077 setting seems to be a much better fit for ray tracing technology than for example Metro Exodus. I'm playing Metro with RTX ultra and in some scenes difference between RTX ON/OFF is massive. Generational-leap massive.

b0uncyfr0

AMD suffers by their own inability to push the technology.
Also "stunts"? Implementing some new tech is a stunt now, lol.

Very true AMD have lost innovation but still - I cannot see this but CDPR covering their asses financially. As I understand : NV will be paying them to incorporate the tech... ? If so then ofc they'll use it. They have nothing to loose.

Also stunt is a poor choice of words I admit.

thuGG_pl

Very true AMD have lost innovation but still - I cannot see this but CDPR covering their asses financially. As I understand : NV will be paying them to incorporate the tech... ? If so then ofc they'll use it. They have nothing to loose.

Also stunt is a poor choice of words I admit.

You think they're so desperate to get Nvidia money? They're fine without it, they have over 1 million preorders for Cyberpunk right now, they don't need some scraps from nvidia.

b0uncyfr0

You think they're so desperate to get Nvidia money? They're fine without it, they have over 1 million preorders for Cyberpunk right now, they don't need some scraps from nvidia.

Maybe not. Either way NV is paying them, not the other way around. Who turns down free money?

thuGG_pl

Maybe not. Either way NV is paying them, not the other way around. Who turns down free money?

So where is the problem exactly? New tech comes out, CDPR adopts it (maybe for money, but i doubt it, after all poeple want to see cool new tech in games). Some users will have a good time experiencing it. What's so wrong about it?

Top Bottom