• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Won’t Let You Attack Children, Story NPCs.

Kadayi

Banned
I know that they showed a child in one of the trailers using some kind of VR setup but there seemed to be an abject lack of kids in the streets or mums to be or pushing buggies. I would just assume they'd largely forego the issue for the most part and kids will be the exception rather than the rule.

Personally I'm not a fan of being coddled but given the penchant for Edge Lords to seek their 5 seconds of infamy doing stupid shit in games and for mainstream media to jump all over it and be all 'think of the Children/ban this sick filth' I get the necessity.

CuNi

Step 1, replace all NPC models with kids models

Step 2, holster your weapon

Step 3,????

Step 4, games are banned world-wide because they instigate violence against children. CDPR closed because media doesn't understand what mods are or how they work. "just a cheap excuse of the dev to shift away the blame!" says polygon. "we never heard of mods do such thing before!! Must be on the devs!!" kotaku adds.

Mista

Banned
I don’t mind that. Killing story NPC’s means I won’t be able to progress in the story and killing children might be a bit too much to do even in a video game. But it’s a video game at the end of the day and we’ll see lots of crazy modding

mortal

Gold Member
They would just rather avoid the controversy altogether, I get it, although it's silly. Like they're not...real. We all know they're not real, right?

Honest question, Why would killing kid NPCs in a virtual fictional world be any worse than killing adult NPCs? Should I feel any remorse for killing so many "innocent" adult NPCs? Most developers don't seem to care.

levyjl1988

Banned
Better this than censorship. Things like this can be modded. Censorship however kills games. I look at games like One Piece World Seeker and they deliberately removed an entire dlc because of skin, Halo 5, they put clothes on Cortona, Sword Art Online Alicization Lycoris and they put clothes on the boss. If genuine intent can’t be preserved you are just coddling people. I fucking hate censorship. Something like this can be bypassed. Fuck censorship.

Skyr

So, it is okay to kill fictional adults, but not fictional kids?

Sorry, I was promised freedom.

Nah I'm fine with either. But I also understand that they want to avoid unnecessary controversy with such a big release.

The reason I said that, is because that one thing is enough to tip you over from intending to buy the game to not buying the game. That's rather concerning.

It also was a little reference to your recent thread

Yeah, killing children in a videogame is a no-no.

Not being able to kill story NPCs makes sense but would love to know if there was ever a game that let you do that.

I'd prefere another solution than "it's a RPG but you won't face consequences because we won't let you fail". If you can kill, then you should be able to kill everyone, but then it could led to game over o something like that.

BigBooper

Surely no one is surprised considering it hasn't been possible in any of their games, unless you are talking about time traveling wizard children or undead fetuses.

FranXico

In Morrowind you can kill everyone. Even Characters that you need for the main Questline.
That's not better game game design or open world freedom, that's just Bethesda not thinking things through. You could seriously break Morrowind in so many ways, I don't find it a good example at all.

Not being able to kill kids and quest NPC's could pull me out of the game, if I were inclined to do that sort of thing, but because Im not, I dont care too much about this.
Ideally though, players should be able to kill whoever they want, in open world type games.

Stimpak

Kinda lame, but not surprising in the least.

It’d be better if the game punished you for killing NPCs (children included)

In fallout 1 (with mods I believe) or 2 if you killed a child you’d be marked a “child killer” and the whole town would be hostile.

This would lock out quests, trading, etc in the area.

Chromata

That's what I was expecting, I hope killing NPCs isn't something that's brushed off. In some games you just hit them until they're down but then they just get back up.

It would be cool to have a police system react to NPC aggression, especially since they're going for an immersive experience.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I guess Drakengard is only game let’s kill or in Arioch’s case eat children. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I guess it’s obvious remaster for original Drakengard is impossible in to today’s gaming culture unless it’s heavily censored.

Ivellios

I have no problem with this whatsoever.

When they say i can do everything in this game, it never crossed my mind "can i actually kill children? Yay!"

keraj37

Yeah, killing children in a videogame is a no-no.

Not being able to kill story NPCs makes sense but would love to know if there was ever a game that let you do that.
In Morrowind you can kill everyone. Even Characters that you need for the main Questline.

In fallout 1 & 2 you could kill everyone and game would not stop so evenly you would understand you killed someone essential for story.
Damn, I miss games like original fallouts :/

And BTW, you made me try finally Morrowind as I played only Daggerfall, Oblivion and Skyrim.

Last edited:

keraj37

Also Fallout 1 & 2 let you kill children but the consequences are dare, as no one will like you from that point.

Y0S76ZG.png

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
In fallout 1 & 2 you could kill everyone and game would not stop so evenly you would understand you killed someone essential for story.
Damn, I miss games like original fallouts :/

And BTW, you made me try finally Morrowind as I played only Daggerfall, Oblivion and Skyrim.
Morrowind lets you kill everybody yes, but it tells you said person is vital for a quest. Once you beat the game you can murder anything without worrying about it/have a choice. I wish more modern games weren't lazy in this regard.

What happens if you try and kill children or important NPCs in the Witcher series? I never tried, but I'm assuming you couldn't which, if the case, why the surprise over this decision for Cyberpunk?

FranXico

Did you ever play Morrowind?
Yes, and I killed quest givers by accident, finding myself in a situation where I would not advance. Picking up the main quest was difficult enough as it is.

Loved the superjump/light as a feather scrolls flying, combo, though. I think speedrunners really know how to use those.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, and I killed quest givers by accident, finding myself in a situation where I would not advance. Picking up the main quest was difficult enough as it is.

Loved the superjump/light as a feather scrolls flying, combo, though. I think speedrunners really know how to use those.
The game told you when you killed somebody that was quest related the second you did. Could have just reloaded a save.

Top Bottom