• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Xbox One will receive the Xbox Series X upgrade for free when available.

D3SCHA1N

This certainly removes any hesitation I may've had about picking the game up for my X1X, though we'll need to get what "when available" clarified. Would be great to see more devs adopt this but I think for 3rd parties this'll be a pretty rare occurance. People will still buy next-gen upgrades, especially early on when there isn't a ton of options. I know when rockstar re-releases RDR2 with more upgrades I'll still buy it yet again...

ManaByte

Gold Member
This certainly removes any hesitation I may've had about picking the game up for my X1X, though we'll need to get what "when available" clarified. Would be great to see more devs adopt this but I think for 3rd parties this'll be a pretty rare occurance. People will still buy next-gen upgrades, especially early on when there isn't a ton of options. I know when rockstar re-releases RDR2 with more upgrades I'll still buy it yet again...

"when available" means when the Xbox Series X version is available.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Has there been any further clarification on whether or not this kind thing only applies to digital copies? Or will they allow it to work with the physical copy used as authentication when playing?

Kagey K

Banned
Has there been any further clarification on whether or not this kind thing only applies to digital copies? Or will they allow it to work with the physical copy used as authentication when playing?
I know last gen with stuff like Ghosts it had to be digital as proof of ownership, but with B.C. and smart delivery being a thing,I imagine it’ll be pop the disc in and it’ll get the appropriate patches for the system you are on.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I know last gen with stuff like Ghosts it had to be digital as proof of ownership, but with B.C. and smart delivery being a thing,I imagine it’ll be pop the disc in and it’ll get the appropriate patches for the system you are on.
Yeah that's what I'm hoping for.

Nice work. MS again leading the way in pro consumer practises this next gaming generation.
A certain lot of posters mysteriously absent from this thread.....

Stuart360

So is this confirming an actual Next Gen version?, i mean like if you havent bought the game on XB1/PS5, you will be able to buy it on next gen, and all this is saying that if you already own the game, the upgrade will be free?.
I mean we all knew there was probably going to be a next gen version, regardless of what CDPR said publicly, but i'm trying to work out if this is talking about a patch for the game, or confirmation of a next gen version.
The way they say 'the upgrade will be free' seems to me to confirm a full next gen release.

So is this confirming an actual Next Gen version?, i mean like if you havent bought the game on XB1/PS5, you will be able to buy it on next gen, and all this is saying that if you already own the game, the upgrade will be free?.
I mean we all knew there was probably going to be a next gen version, regardless of what CDPR said publicly, but i'm trying to work out if this is talking about a patch for the game, or confirmation of a next gen version.
The way they say 'the upgrade will be free' seems to me to confirm a full next gen release.
There won't be a Cyberpunk 2077 that was made with next gen in mind, there won't be a port for XSeX, there will be one version of the game and it will run on all systems, that version comes out on Xbox One. It will be as if you had bought the game on PC.

The only "next gen" version you'll be seeing is the Cyberpunk 2077 GOTY Box with an XSeX label (most likely), that disc will still run on Xbox One, because this is what the Smart Delivery System is all about. It's meant to get rid of console generations and splitting up the user base. There will be one version for all three Xbox systems and any Xbox system to launch in the future.

We've also been experiencing what the transition of next gen will be like over the past years with Xbox One/PS4 > Xbox One X/PS Pro, especially how Microsoft has planned it. They want this to continue, they want developers to patch their games to run better on enhanced consoles, just like it has been done countless times for Pro and X.
Look at how many millions the current gen version of GTAV sold. I still expect many publishers to have full next gen releases of current gen games, same with 4k remasters.
There won't be any 4K remasters, at least not on XSeX because there is no need for them to exist.

The console can apparently render Xbox One games at a higher framerate, resolution and graphical fidelity without the devs having to do anything. The console most likely improve texture filtering, ambient occlusion, shadow filtering etc. Stuff that can easily be done with injecting code, just like mods do it for bad console ports on PC.
Four generations of gaming: Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before. Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gaming accessories also come forward with you.
Lazy remasters like Last of Us should not pop up on XSeX, however remakes or completely altered versions of games (like Persona 5 Royal) are a different story. We'll obviously still see them.

Stuart360

There won't be a Cyberpunk 2077 that was made with next gen in mind, there won't be a port for XSeX, there will be one version of the game and it will run on all systems, that version comes out on Xbox One. It will be as if you had bought the game on PC.

The only "next gen" version you'll be seeing is the Cyberpunk 2077 GOTY Box with an XSeX label (most likely), that disc will still run on Xbox One, because this is what the Smart Delivery System is all about. It's meant to get rid of console generations and splitting up the user base. There will be one version for all three Xbox systems and any Xbox system to launch in the future.

We've also been experiencing what the transition of next gen will be like over the past years with Xbox One/PS4 > Xbox One X/PS Pro, especially how Microsoft has planned it. They want this to continue, they want developers to patch their games to run better on enhanced consoles, just like it has been done countless times for Pro and X.

There won't be any 4K remasters, at least not on XSeX because there is no need for them to exist.

The console can apparently render Xbox One games at a higher framerate, resolution and graphical fidelity without the devs having to do anything. The console most likely improve texture filtering, ambient occlusion, shadow filtering etc. Stuff that can easily be done with injecting code, just like mods do it for bad console ports on PC.

Lazy remasters like Last of Us should not pop up on XSeX, however remakes or completely altered versions of games (like Persona 5 Royal) are a different story. We'll obviously still see them.
Yeah thats what i meant, i didnt explain myself very well lol. I just wasnt sure if this tweet was simply talking about a 'patch' for XSX that would upgrade the game, and a patch is all it would be on next gen, or if there would be an actual retail full release of Cyberpunk on next gen as well. You get me?
Its just i have always suspected CDPR of pulling a Rockstar by saing 'there are no plans for a next gen version', while eveyone and their dogs knows there will be.

D3SCHA1N

"when available" means when the Xbox Series X version is available.
Ok I was hoping that was all it meant but thought it might've been an implication of specific conditions like only digital copies were eligible or something, but that makes sense. No qualms about pickin' it up day one now though....

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Called this a while back. There is no legitimate reason to sell two different versions between these gens. It will be actually pretty outrages when someone tries to do that.
Well everybody been complaining about cross gen lol. Maybe Sony’s model will be completely different but this is very consumer friendly

RayHell

"We have no plans to support new hardware"

This quote from them was insulting for everyone intelligence. Trying to prevent pre-order cancellation in the worst way. Now that a lot of people cancelled their pre-order, waiting for next gen there's trying to make up for it by offering free update.

Message for those who plan buying a next-gen console and want to pre-order again for old gen and get next-gen patch:
Better keep for the best visual experience for the first play through.
If you want to resell the game, last gen disk will probably end up worth less then current gen over time.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
This quote from them was insulting for everyone intelligence. Trying to prevent pre-order cancellation in the worst way. Now that a lot of people cancelled their pre-order, waiting for next gen there's trying to make up for it by offering free update.

Message for those who plan buying a next-gen console and want to pre-order again for old gen and get next-gen patch:
Better keep for the best visual experience for the first play through.
If you want to resell the game, last gen disk will probably end up worth less then current gen over time.

Yeah no kidding, not to mention the "Free upgrade" will pretty much only be applied to digital versions and no option for anyone who bought disc versions which what they're trying to avoid. This is exactly what I was talking about when I was talking about the "double dip." There's going to be a chunk of people who will buy the game twice regardless + those who buy because they already beat it and want to play it on a better platform.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Isn’t this basically how all Xbox One/X and PS4/Pro games are? Free enhanced patch?

Are there any games where there were distinct OG and X/Pro versions requiring another $60?

should he common knowledge with the way the systems are BC.

but probably a reminder for anyone thinking SeX and Xbox One will be like 360 and One which were different.

LMJ

So are we talking somthing like higher res and texture maps?

Because if were talking something like PS3 vs PS4 GTA5, then I dont think only a download will work?

Then again if I could believe it possible CD Project Red will be the studio I would put faith in, they earned that over thier continued stellar work with Witcher 3

nikolino840

Isn’t this basically how all Xbox One/X and PS4/Pro games are? Free enhanced patch?

Are there any games where there were distinct OG and X/Pro versions requiring another $60?

should he common knowledge with the way the systems are BC.

but probably a reminder for anyone thinking SeX and Xbox One will be like 360 and One which were different.
Becouse next gen mean also a different box for retail games... PlayStation 5 and Xbox (i don't they put the series X)

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Yeah no kidding, not to mention the "Free upgrade" will pretty much only be applied to digital versions and no option for anyone who bought disc versions which what they're trying to avoid. This is exactly what I was talking about when I was talking about the "double dip." There's going to be a chunk of people who will buy the game twice regardless + those who buy because they already beat it and want to play it on a better platform.
They've clarified that it will work for physical copies as well. But this whole Smart Delivery stuff is going to be similar to Play Anywhere, in that it's up to devs and publishers whether or not they plan on implementing it.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I've heard in here, that Sony believing in generations, is legitimely good thing, so I hope even if this feature is present, you going to buy that game again, because like you said, it's a good thing.

Top Bottom