• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D3 Publisher starts new countdown, seemingly for Earth Defense Force 5

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think a few of you may have had some passing interest in this franchise or something? I don't know, EDF fans don't seem to express much enthusiasm when the games are mentioned.

https://www.d3p.co.jp/countdown2016/

Gematsu said:
Update 3:05 a.m.: Apparently the source code of the countdown.js file on the website contained the following reference, before it was removed:

’https://www.d3p.co.jp/edf5/’:new Array(‘2016/9/13 18:00:00′,’2016/12/31 23:59:59’),

Earth Defense Force 5 it is, then?

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2016/09/d3-publisher-launches-new-project-countdown-website#RBePOyWMei95HUgC.99

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF!

To save our mother Earth from any alien attack
From vicious giant insects who have once again come back
We'll unleash all our forces
We won't cut them any slack
The E.D.F DEPLOYS!

Our soldiers are prepared for any alien threats
The Navy launches ships, the Air Force sends their jets
And nothing can withstand our fixed bayonets
THE E.D.F DEPLOYS!

Our forces have now dwindled and we pull back to regroup,
The enemy has multiplied and formed a massive group,
We better beat these bugs before we're all turned to soup,
The E.D.F DEPLOYS!

TreIII

Hopefully, this one has more Kaiju battles. Even 4's update only added two Godzilla rip offs, and then they expected you to make use of that version's new mobile suit to fight them.

They made sure to have so many levels with them damn dragons, though...

Aters

EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF!

The E.D.F DEPLOYS!

THE E.D.F DEPLOYS!

The E.D.F DEPLOYS!

Amazing

salromano

So with EDF5, we also have D3P's full TGS lineup (they previously teased two unannounced titles):

Idol Death Game TV (Vita)
Happy Manager (PS4, PSVR)
Schoolgirl Zombie Hunter (PS4)
Earth Defense Force 5 (PS4)

derFeef

I am relatively new to EDF and kinda in a love-hate relationship with it. What can I expect here as I have zero knowledge of the previous games except 4.1 on PC. Hat does every new release include? Graphic update? More content?
Is it going to be console exclusive?

eXistor

Always down for more EDF. Hope it's really EDF5, these games never get boring.

/edit:

EDF!
EDF!!
EDF!!!

bede-x

Straight to the top of my most wanted list and I'll buy every version for every platform they choose to support at least once. I hope they keep the class system and add one or two new ones, but that aside I just want more more more. I'm giddy with excitement right now and can't wait to tell my EDF co-op team a new one is on the way :)

Straight to the top of my most wanted list and I'll buy every version for every platform they choose to support at least once. I hope they keep the class system and add one or two new ones, but that aside I just want more more more. I'm giddy with excitement right now and can't wait to tell my EDF co-op team a new one is on the way :)

I like to see them add more customization to the classes. Like being able to spec a Wing Diver to have more energy reserves at the expense of health, or a Ranger being able to reload faster but smaller clip sizes. Small tweaks that allow for different play styles.

Yes yes yes. I finally managed to get one of my friends to believe me that EDF isnt a garbage game, and now I can finally have a full team to play the new game with.

EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF!

The E.D.F DEPLOYS!

THE E.D.F DEPLOYS!

The E.D.F DEPLOYS!

hG2a5U8.gif

my body is ready

I like to see them add more customization to the classes. Like being able to spec a Wing Diver to have more energy reserves at the expense of health, or a Ranger being able to reload faster but smaller clip sizes. Small tweaks that allow for different play styles.
That wouldn't be unwelcome, but what the game really needs is a move towards some kind of on-the-battlefield 'customization', like basically every other shooter ever made. They probably don't want you to actually be able to pick up new weapons off the ground like Halo, I get that, but being given some minor control over the shape of the fight would be extremely welcome. Calling in weapon drops (Air Raiders already have a bit of the tactical thing I'm talking about here), temporary power weapons, even a Crysis-style fast weapon mod system could work. The older, simple, very-PS2 approach reached its apex in 4.1, it's time to give the core gameplay loop slightly more tactics.

This would also remove some of the existing trial-and-error structure of the game, which has gradually gotten better with each sequel but is still present. It's not fun to start a mission, get really into it, and then discover your weapons won't work so you need to back out and start again. At the same time you want to maintain some level of surprise so you can't just list enemy types for each mission. I'd be thrilled even with a simple weapon change station in various areas, you could even have it only offer various custom loadouts you've already configured.

Just to be clear I love the EDF series dearly. I'll buy it even if it is 4.1 with some new maps and enemies. But I really believe they could make the gameplay just slightly more complex without losing any of the existing spirit or pace. The basic mission flow hasn't changed since the original game, which didn't even offer right-analog stick aiming as the default control option! That's how 'not-shooter' the series started, and for a Japanese game in 2003 that was probably for the best. But Sandlot can probably safely move it in a slightly more complex direction by now.

Kyoufu

I'd love a character growth system that goes beyond just grinding armor and weapons. I'd love for "Suit" upgrades, like Wingdiver's energy systems.

I doubt the EDF team has the resources to really revamp the series in this manner but I'd love it.

magnetic

I'd love a character growth system that goes beyond just grinding armor and weapons. I'd love for "Suit" upgrades, like Wingdiver's energy systems.

I doubt the EDF team has the resources to really revamp the series in this manner but I'd love it.

It wouldn´t even have to be much - just make equippable pieces of armor drop just like weapons drop, instead of this "slowly going up one by one" non-system right now.

This plus the dreaded underground cave levels are two things that always hindered my enjoyment of those games. I otherwise really love them!

semisonic

Banned
EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF!

The E.D.F DEPLOYS!

THE E.D.F DEPLOYS!

The E.D.F DEPLOYS!

A legendary hero will soon lead us to glory,
8 years ago he sunk the mothership says history.
Tomorrow we will follow this brave soul to victory,
The EDF deploys!

EDF!! EDF!!

salromano

So I think D3P gave up on the countdown since everyone figured out it was EDF5?

Countdown was originally seven days long, but now it's over and the bottom of the page just has links to Happy Manager and School Girl Zombie Hunter. There's still one more title to be announced for D3P's TGS 2016 showcase though.

Top Bottom