• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC) Demo now Live

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
DEMO NOW LIVE:

btOeP1R.jpg

rejoice :D
d4_thumb.jpg

Thank you random dude for the heads up!

BOTEC

So has anyone explained why Playism is distributing this and not Microsoft themselves? Did it underperform so badly that MS is washing their hands of it and letting any ol' schmuks pick it up and do whether they want with it?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
So has anyone explained why Playism is distributing this and not Microsoft themselves? Did it underperform so badly that MS is washing their hands of it and letting any ol' schmuks pick it up and do whether they want with it?

Well they never really owned the IP and I don't think they wanted to pump any more money into it after the first season so I imagine that's where Playism came into the picture.

BOTEC

Well they never really owned the IP and I don't think they wanted to pump any more money into it after the first season so I imagine that's where Playism came into the picture.

Huh? Interesting. So does that mean that Access just kept it exclusive to Xbone out of the goodness of their own hearts? That's weird. But it does explain the fuck all MS did to promote the game. Fucking SWERY. Makes games weird, sells games weird.

ike_

I've followed, liked, subscribed, commented, donated, reported, stalked, I don't know what else. Please just let me buy and play the game.

vlyEKIW.png

N2374GU.png

That is a really cool bumper image they used though. <3

def sim

Huh? Interesting. So does that mean that Access just kept it exclusive to Xbone out of the goodness of their own hearts? That's weird. But it does explain the fuck all MS did to promote the game. Fucking SWERY. Makes games weird, sells games weird.

No, it wasn't done out of kindness. Microsoft funded it.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, that's exactly what I wanted. My PC specs are borderline, so I wished for a demo to test it before I buy the full game.

Rembrandt

Banned
Then that certainly doesn't explain the fuck all MS did to promote that game. But then again, if it made any sense at all, it just wouldn't be SWERY.

Has any of his games been shown at E3 before MS did it? It seems this game got the most advertising any of his games did, they also made it free with gold. His games just aren't appealing to lots of people and understandably so.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Goddamn Swery is boss. Imagine Swery and Kojima at Platinum Games.

Will buy this on Steam even though I bought it three times on Xbox One. (brother, gf, my own)

BOTEC

Has any of his games been shown at E3 before MS did it? It seems this game got the most advertising any of his games did, they also made it free with gold. His games just aren't appealing to lots of people and understandably so.

E3? I'm not sure, but the original Red Seeds Profile was shown at a trade show, maybe TGS? (That's where Shane Bettenhausen first caught wind of it.) Still, Microsoft, the platform holder of the console where D4 was an exclusive did NOTHING to promote that game. Fuck, there was a NeoGAF thread started by a dude that was essentially a call for help to try to promote the game and gets some sales going that probably did more to promote the game than anything MS did.

def sim

Then that certainly doesn't explain the fuck all MS did to promote that game. But then again, if it made any sense at all, it just wouldn't be SWERY.

IIRC, Swery presented a Kinect demo to MS in a TGS long ago and MS gave him funding for D4. I assume they decided it wasn't worth the marketing budget sometime during production and it didn't help that MS wasn't fully behind Kinect anymore.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Now to see if the Framerate dives the longer your computer has had uptime.

Still bitter.

Rembrandt

Banned
E3? I'm not sure, but the original Red Seeds Profile was shown at a trade show, maybe TGS? (That's where Shane Bettenhausen first caught wind of it.) Still, Microsoft, the platform holder of the console where D4 was an exclusive did NOTHING to promote that game. Fuck, there was a NeoGAF thread started by a dude that was essentially a call for help to try to promote the game and gets some sales going that probably did more to promote the game than anything MS did.

Showing the trailer at E3 was a huge push and it wasn't like the game was hidden, iirc, they showed it off at every show they had and Conan streamed it on twitch. Idk what people expected. I bought the game day one and enjoy it, but it got way more promotion than any of his prior titles.

Zakalwe

Banned
Oh. Didn't expect to play this for a long time as I don't gave a box yet. Now I get a demo to try it first too?

PR guy was so wrong!

vocab

Good on him for releasing a demo. Saves me the email about getting a refund if the game barely works at launch. If the demo runs well I'll definitely support it.

Tealmann

Demo? Oh yeah, I remember those, from way back in the day when you didn't have to buy a game to see if you like it.

BOTEC

Showing the trailer at E3 was a huge push and it wasn't like the game was hidden, iirc, they showed it off at every show they had and Conan streamed it on twitch. Idk what people expected. I bought the game day one and enjoy it, but it got way more promotion than any of his prior titles.

Sure the hardcore fans knew all about it, I bought a fucking Xbone the day it was released (fuck you SWERY for that by the way). But a friend of mine who loved Deadly Premonition but doesn't read NeoGAF daily was blindsided be the release of that game (as was I, and I DO read NeoGAF daily). Whoever was in charge of PR for that game cocked it up something fierce in my opinion.

It was like the Saturn "oh and it's on sale NOW" CES/E3 announcement where no one was ready. Hyping up your game 5+ years prior to release = dick move. Announcing your launch 30 seconds prior release = also a dick move. A knowledgeable PR person knows you've got to let these things cook. Not too long, not too quick.

Rembrandt

Banned
Sure the hardcore fans knew all about it, I bought a fucking Xbone the day it was released (fuck you SWERY for that by the way). But a friend of mine who loved Deadly Premonition but doesn't read NeoGAF daily was blindsided be the release of that game (as was I, and I DO read NeoGAF daily). Whoever was in charge of PR for that game cocked it up something fierce in my opinion.

It was like the Saturn "oh and it's on sale NOW" CES/E3 announcement where no one was ready. Hyping up your game 5+ years prior to release = dick move. Announcing your launch 30 seconds prior release = also a dick move. A knowledgeable PR person knows you've got to let these things cook. Not too long, not too quick.

he doesn't check any gaming website or own a XB1? it had it's own little space on release reminding people it was available now. it's an incredibly niche title that got more publicity than any of his other titles. I think people kind of expected too much. I also don't see why announcing a launch 30 seconds prior to release is a dick move. I can understand not being able to buy it the day of release and being frustrated, but it's not that big of a deal, imo. You knew the game was coming out for XB1, so you could have bought it weeks/months prior instead of buying one right when the game was released or a week before.

Top Bottom