• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D4 PC |OT| The Good Ones Don't Die Young

Durante

Finished the prologue, I'm really digging this game's style. Graphically and narratively.

d4game_2015_06_06_22_x1zii.jpg

Storm360

You are probably using the wrong res in the launcher. The correctly replaced one is the topmost entry.

I copy and pasted the code from the post, but that didn't work, I just deleted the resolution and retyped it and that seemed to fix it

Used Durante's script and it apparently changed the D4.exe file.

But when I try to run the executable nothing happens.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my launcher keeps defaulting to PT-BR?

Edit:

Tried pretty much everything, the game won't play at 1920x1080 for any reason.

Yeah I couldn't get that work either. Just kept playing as is. It never even modified my exe.

Edit: I think I got it to work.

How did you do it?
I mean, I got mine to modify the .exe and even run, but the launcher keeps only listing 1280x720, AND it plays at that resolution.

oatmeal

Banned
I bought this on the XBONE and found the Kinect implementation to be a little janky.

To be fair, I only played that opening bit on the frozen lake.

Is it worth continuing with the Kinect?

How did you do it?
I mean, I got mine to modify the .exe and even run, but the launcher keeps only listing 1280x720, AND it plays at that resolution.

What's the resolution of your monitor? My problem was that I still had the word "code" at the top like a moron. After getting the .exe to run I had a problem with it only changing the x line so I just went in and manually changed the y line myself in the games ini. Then I changed the resolution of my desktop and it looks great.

I bought this on the XBONE and found the Kinect implementation to be a little janky.

To be fair, I only played that opening bit on the frozen lake.

Is it worth continuing with the Kinect?
The only thing I really like about the Kinect controls are the wacky QTE sequences.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait to play this. So glad it came out on PC even if I've only got a pretty old laptop to play it on. Hopefully it does well.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I can't get to terms with what to play this with. I start with mouse, but then I realize I would control it better with a controller, and then i switch back and forth. Can't seem to get to terms with the controls yet. Weird. Never happened before.

Corpekata

Banned
For people that are silly like me, use MMB to move the camera around a bit, you don't have to hold it. For some reason I thought I did, and it was screwing me up on a puzzle.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Really tempted to pick this up since I enjoyed the demo a lot. The only thing that has be on the fence is how it apparently ends on a cliffhanger and we don't know if season 2 is happening for sure(?).

Dinjoralo

Really tempted to pick this up since I enjoyed the demo a lot. The only thing that has be on the fence is how it apparently ends on a cliffhanger and we don't know if season 2 is happening for sure(?).

I think SWERY revealed a screenshot of season two in an interview, so it's probably on the way.

Falk

that puzzling face

"I wanna eat more juicy fresh fruits but i dunno if i wanna invest into the farm they come from!"

:(

Tomat

I think SWERY revealed a screenshot of season two in an interview, so it's probably on the way.
That sounds good.
"I wanna eat more juicy fresh fruits but i dunno if i wanna invest into the farm they come from!"

:(
I get what your'e saying, but say I buy it and then it never happens anyway. Then what?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Picked up on Playism. Worked out a little cheaper for me. I noticed something a little strange thetrin. When you check out with PayPal it only shows the USD currency. It is helpful to know what you'll be paying in local currency also. This could be something that has changed on PayPal's back end however. I'm sure it has been there when checking out at other stores.

Looking forward to checking this out. I was too lazy to download the demo over FTP tbh so fingers crossed it runs (and season 2 I guess)

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I'm pretty sure this has to do with PayPal's back end, but I'll look into it nevertheless. Thanks for the feedback. :)

I wish I could chime in on the farm analogy above, but I can't. Sorry gents.

Here's a ruby script to edit the launcher:
Code:
res_x = 2560
res_y = 1440

content = IO.read("D4.exe", :mode => "rb")
File.rename("D4.exe", "D4.bak") unless File.exists?("D4.bak")

content =~ /r.e.s.x.=.(\d.\d.\d.\d.)/
prev_x = $1
content =~ /r.e.s.y.=.(\d.\d.\d.\d.)/
prev_y = $1

res_x_str = res_x.to_s.split("").pack("a2a2a2a2")
res_y_str = res_y.to_s.split("").pack("a2a2a2a2")

content.gsub!(prev_x, res_x_str)
content.gsub!(prev_y, res_y_str)

IO.write("D4.exe", content,  :mode => "wb")

Usage:
  • Get Ruby (if you don't have it)
  • Change res_x and res_y to whatever you want
  • Save as bla.rb (or any other name.rb) in the same folder as D4.exe (e.g. Steam\steamapps\common\D4 Dark Dreams Don't Die)
  • Run the script

Edit:
The game also seems to run happily at arbitrary framerates once you edit the typical UE3 settings in Ms01Engine.ini

Praise the Sun!

Tomat

I caved. Here's hoping season 2 happens.

*edit*
This game is good. Quirky as fuck but that's to be expected. I like it a lot. Still working through the first episode. That action sequence was really something.

Falk

that puzzling face
Alright, starting my 2nd playthrough, 2nd attempt (1st attempt got cancelled by non-existent save)

ACHIEVEMENTS LETS GOOOOO

Spoo

Made it to chapter 2. Liking the game more and more. I could never really get into Swery's previous game (I tried, like, 10 times, and even as a Twin Peaks fan it never went past first gear for me), but I'm really starting to dig this game. The action sequences are actually really well done, if simplistic, and for lack of a better word they've done a good 'gamification' of the adventure genre here -- mostly click and point, but with enough metrics to keep me interested (getting new clothes, eating, etc).

Pretty much every character is interesting to some degree as well, beyond their obvious weirdness.

Overall, pretty happy and I feel like I'm still near the beginning of this.

Durante

I realize why the script doesn't work for everyone, probably: It rreplaces the first resolution entry (1920x1200) which will only be shown if you have a higher resolution than that available.

I could fix that, however, if you don't have a higher resolution available, why do you need the script?

Falk

that puzzling face
I could fix that, however, if you don't have a higher resolution available, why do you need the script?

Gonna copy/paste my use-case from a report I sent off to Playism

Falk said:
So, the previous post was slightly inaccurate. I've played around a little bit more and pinpointed the exact problem, with screenshotted evidence

<url redacted>

In here, I've taken a few screenshots of the launcher's resolution drop down box. It's basically what's shown when the executable is run at a) 3200x1800 and b) 1920x1080 Windows Desktop resolution working at 100% and 200% Win 8.1 display scaling respectively.

3200A.png - 3200x1800, 100% scaling - launcher populates list up to 1920x1200, but no higher
3200B.png - 3200x1800, 200% scaling - launcher populates list up to 1440x900, but no higher
1080A.png - 1920x1080, 100% scaling - launcher populates list up to 1920x1080, but no higher
1080B.png - 1920x1080, 200% scaling - launcher comes up empty, and fails to launch (1080B-2.png)

The (unrelated) two problems here are that:

- The launcher populates the resolution list based on the Windows desktop resolution, and gets a little confused when Windows Display Scaling comes into play. (e.g. 1080B.png) As 3200x1800 at 200% shows exactly up to 900p in the list, I'm assuming it takes the scaling at face value. This is a problem in some use-cases where a desktop resolution isn't set as high as a display is capable of, since it will erroneously limit what resolution the game itself can run at. (*My own use-case later in the post)

- The launcher lets the game only run at a maximum resolution of 1920x1200. (3200A.png) although this may be an intended limit, people have already coaxed UE3 to run the game at higher resolutions. While I understand it may not have been tested/guaranteed to work without graphical/UI glitches, resolutions higher than 1900x1200 would be really nice to have

* The problem I was having that led me to not being able to launch the game is actually a rather unique overlap of factors. I'm running a Razer Blade gaming laptop, with a HDMI out to a TV acting as a secondary monitor. Since my Blade display is 3200x1800, and my TV's resolution is 1920x1080, and I have Win8.1 Display Scaling set to 200% to have things legible on my Blade, the launcher attempts to parse resolutions based off my TV's 1920x1080 at 200% scaling and completely fails (1080B.png), even though the game would have properly run at fullscreen 1920x1080 - I just could not select it.

Hope this helps.

Removed the link to the screenshots because I just realized there's a bunch of NDA stuff on my desktop, but yeh, you get the idea.

Durante

Wow. How messed up. Now I'm actually interested in fguring out just which completely unsuitable API (affected by DPI scaling) it calls to limit that list.

Is it really that hard to just do it right? Ask Windows for the list of resolutions the monitor supports and use that to populate the dropdown box? I could write a launcher like that in a few hours :/

Falk

that puzzling face
That was from the demo, mind you. I have no idea if the launcher still does that as of the actual game, but yeah, I was scratching my head for a bit with that one till I noticed the game would run when I disconnected the TV and wouldn't run when it was plugged in.

Durante

Is it really that hard to just do it right? Ask Windows for the list of resolutions the monitor supports and use that to populate the dropdown box? I could write a launcher like that in a few hours :/

I lied. It just took roughly one hour (and quite a bit of that to replicate the exact ini format the default launcher uses).

Just replace the existing launcher with this one:
http://filehorst.de/d/bgvxwrtD

launcher82ul6.png

I lied. It just took roughly one hour (and quite a bit of that to replicate the exact ini format the default launcher uses).
<3
Seriously, you should start your company on the side just to consult even a few hours on these Japanese PC ports. At this point, it's apparent a number of these guys don't really understand what is expected from a PC game.

Durante

So did anyone actually try the launcher, and if so, does it work for you?

If it does I'll put it on my blog and also put the entire source on Github with public domain licensing.

Dario ff

Banned
How messed up. Now I'm actually interested in fguring out just which completely unsuitable API (affected by DPI scaling) it calls to limit that list.

lol

That open-source display mode wrapper I told you about once sounds like a better idea every time we get one of these ports. (Documented in Japanese too!)

Top Bottom