• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DA4 will celebrate diversity - narrative lead motives questioned after questionable tweets

Thiagosc777

The narrative director of the next Dragon Age already confirmed that the game will be political and will celebrate "diversity". Check this out (please see that entire twitter thread, it is enlightening):

EA is about to get woke and go broke, AGAIN! I guess BFV wasn't enough of a disaster. Haha

Last edited:

El_Belmondo

Isn't this... actually a good thing?

If that's how the creator want to do it, let him do it. It is a fantasy world after all, they can do whatever they want.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Asking if a BioWare game is going to be woke, diverse and full of political correctness is akin to asking if the sun is hot.

Well, there hasn't been a good game BioWare made since ME2 and a good RPG they made since DA:O so this game was already a hard pass for me.

Lastyou1

Banned
After How bad was DA2 and how boring was Inquisition, I have zero interest in the game.
Add to it, the fact that Origins was a self-contained story with a definite ending that didn't need a sequel...

About the woke thing, if it isn't forced and that is the actual intention of the developers, then I'm in.

Thiagosc777

If that's how the creator want to do it, let him do it. It is a fantasy world after all, they can do whatever they want.

I think the video summarizes very well the problems with this. Dragon Age is a Dark Fantasy setting game, with political and religious topics, but it is ultimately a game where you can do good or bad things.

Using it to "celebrate" diversity would only narrow down the options in the game.

El_Belmondo

I think the video summarizes very well the problems with this. Dragon Age is a Dark Fantasy setting game, with political and religious topics, but it is ultimately a game where you can do good or bad things.

Using it to "celebrate" diversity would only narrow down the options in the game.

You talk as if diversity wasn't always Bioware's thing.

Helios

I'd rather he go on twitter to assure people that the writing is good this time. That's what people are interested in. Not how many qunari romance options they have.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Was the previous Dragon Age "woke"? because I can't think of anything wrong with it unless you think having gay characters is too woke. Seems like people reading an awful lot into the guy saying "everything is political" as if he was implying they're going to propagandize the story like Chinese movie producers do to satisfy the PRC

Thiagosc777

Was the previous Dragon Age "woke"? because I can't think of anything wrong with it unless you think having gay characters is too woke. Seems like people reading an awful lot into the guy saying "everything is political" as if he was implying they're going to propagandize the story like Chinese movie producers do to satisfy the PRC

I played Inquisition years ago, but I remember a scene with a trans character where they literally sit you to listen to a lecture about how "trans people are people just like us" and I was rolling my eyes about how unnatural and preachy that conversation was. There were other "woke moments" as well.

It seems the next one will crank it to 11.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
EA is about to get woke and go broke, AGAIN! I guess BFV wasn't enough of a disaster. Haha
giphy.gif

Steez

Once upon a time you made my favorite game of all time. Nowadays, I don't even want to bootleg your games.

levyjl1988

Banned
As a Dragon Age: Origins fan, this is a hard pass. I played through 2, Inquisition was terrible. It felt like they were artificially extending the game with its shitty open world. After the disasterous Mass Effect Andromeda, I’m gonna wait until this becomes a clearance game for $9. Bioware games have been getting shittier and shittier after each iteration.

cFnbAIO.jpg

Oh great, I'm really looking forward to be lectured about intersectional feminism by some Bioware writer who's more interested in pushing a political message rather than crafting an engaging story. He's certainly hitting all the right Buzzphrases:

"Believe all women"

85YwB9V.jpg

"Listen and believe"

tJjnvDA.jpg

"Punch Nazis"

2c0P7p1.jpg

"Kingdom Come is racist"

4o3shAK.jpg

If his story-crafting is as predictable and heavy handed as his twitter feed, I'm fully suspecting the next Dragon Age to be another flop for Bioware. The sooner they find out that they are basically promoting militant political ideology, the better.

Also, the stealthy mod edit of the topic title is just plain wrong:

The New Dragon Age will be consistent with previous values

I'm sorry, but I don't remember far-left militant feminist intersectionality to be "consistent with previous values" presented within Dragon Age. I understand that the previous title was a tad sensationalist, but replacing the title with something absurd like this doesn't make it any better.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I'll be honest having had a perusal of the dude's twitter he hardly strikes me as crazy SJW maniac. versus someone who is addicted to tweeting (44 in a day...get a grip dude) and an unhealthy habit of virtue signalling typical NPC talking points.

Personally, I'd prefer to see them reboot Dragon Age from the off because to my mind it's one of those series that hasn't aged all that well and I think in large part that's a resultant of a certain naivety to the world building and writing, that is a little too broad brush. Dragon Age never felt like a lived-in world, versus one simply pulled together from the inspiration of various fantasy writers, without much regard when it came to generating a comprehensive history or and more importantly grounding the characters fully within it, both in terms of their mindset, attitudes, beliefs and knowledge.

That might seem kind of harsh, but I'll try and illustrate what I mean with an example of the how easy it is to undermine a setting with poor writing. I'm going to use a clip from GOT to illustrate my point. Skip to around the 2-minute mark and listen to the dialogue: -

When you live in a world without clocks and watches the concept of people talking about minutes as a measure of time is jarringly discordant. '5 minutes' is a concept that we as modern 21st century humans surrounded by endless time pieces get because we're used to trading in that lexicon, but in a series set within a medieval fantasy world it sits less easily.

Unfortunately, Dragon Age as a series falls into this habit a lot. The whole Varric as a romance writer storyline in DA: was a particularly groanworthy example, not from the perspective that Varric couldn't be a writer (he's the unreliable narrator to DA2 for example), but more the notion of mass distribution within the whole seemed to sit poorly within the world scape. To be fair with the Witcher series, there have been times where the dialogue seems to sit ill at odds with the setting in terms of the modernity of the language, although that may well be reflective of the novels.

The concern with what Epler says seems to me that he considers Dragon Age as a platform to celebrate modern values, and I question whether that's either necessary or serves a positive purpose from a storytelling perspective without risk of undermining the whole intent of a fantasy setting. If at the end of the day the end result is merely modern mores in fantasy dress up, why bother? Versus instead make an RPG set in modern times.

Perhaps take a leaf from the commode scene in Reservoir Dogs and realise that in order to really sell a story, you need to truly put yourself into it wholesale: -

Alternatively, I kind of feel like Epler is likely big on reading fantasy, but not necessarily big on reading the thing that inspires a lot of fantasy, namely history. For all the shit I give him for being a procrastinator extraordinaire at least GRRM knows his European history and the shitty nature of life back in earlier times.

Last edited:

Senhua

While I won't doubt the leftist folk will love the game regardless the core gameplay quality. Will it can capture the 'neutral' mainstream folk like me and others who care only for the gameplay? Cause if not prepare for 'Papa EA' meme again.

El_Belmondo

While I won't doubt the leftist folk will love the game regardless the core gameplay quality.

Do you know that the impression given is actually the opposite?

No matter how good the gameplay is, the moment some kind of inclusiveness is shown in advance the game is fucked. This thread is proof.

Xiaoki

When you live in a world without clocks and watches the concept of people talking about minutes as a measure of time is jarringly discordant. '5 minutes' is a concept that we as modern 21st century humans surrounded by endless time pieces get because we're used to trading in that lexicon, but in a series set within a medieval fantasy world it sits less easily.
The Sumerians were using minutes and seconds to tell time well over 5000 years ago.

The whole reason there is 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour and 24 hours in a day is because that was the system they used.

Ancient people weren't as dumb as you think they were.

Humdinger

Ugh, the stuff about intersectional feminism in the narrative designer's twitter? Not a good sign. Let's hope they can restrain their SJW agenda and remember that their purpose is to create a fun, immersive game, not to "improve" the people playing the game.

No matter how good the gameplay is, the moment some kind of inclusiveness is shown in advance the game is fucked. This thread is proof.

Stop strawmanning, there's nothing wrong with inclusiveness. I don't care about whatever flavor of the month minority developers decide to inject into their games. They're all welcome as long as they are decently written and not used as a bludgeoning tool in order to bring across your heavy-handed militant agenda.

I usually don't give a rat's rear about what you write on twitter, but developers need to learn that the games they work on are not their personal twitter feed.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned

The onus is not on the players to think a game is good when the developer team attacks their core and traditional values, the onus is on the developer team to showcase that the game is good, despite having said destruction of the traditional values as its primary objective.

And for the last decade or more, BioWare has fallen short on this task of hers, with ME: Andromeda being the peak of said failure (so far).

wipeout364

I was originally going to say you guys are being to quick to judge based on that original tweet. But after some one posted all those other tweets it is giving me pause.

It’s probably a long way out though and honestly Soderland probably appointed the guy lead so it’s not surprising he sees his job as a platform to spread his beliefs. It will take awhile for this to wash out of the company but if Sodurlund was canned (it’s unclear) that probably sent shockwaves through the company.

He needs to be very careful though BioWare is not in a good spot, the last well received game they delivered was Mass Effect 2 in 2010. This is a big studio that hasn’t had a big hit in almost 10 years, very expensive for EA. He does not want to alienate any audience BioWare can’t afford it.

Kadayi

Banned
The Sumerians were using minutes and seconds to tell time well over 5000 years ago.

The whole reason there is 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour and 24 hours in a day is because that was the system they used.

Ancient people weren't as dumb as you think they were.

missing-the-point-1217616401646160-9-thumbnail-4.jpg

I'm referring to the concept of measurement as common everyday parlance. The Sumerians may have conceived the 24 hours clock and divisions thereof, but in an age when sundials are your primary means of gauging the time of day, the notion that everyone is down with the clowns when it comes to minute to minute accuracy in both activity and thinking is rather far-fetched, to say the least. Given within the fictive framework of Game of Thrones, even noblemen aren't necessarily that educated and it's only really the maesters that trade in the sciences the dialogue feels misplaced especially coming from the Hound of all characters.

Last edited:

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
I'm sorry, but I don't remember far-left militant feminist intersectionality to be "consistent with previous values" presented within Dragon Age. I understand that the previous title was a tad sensationalist, but replacing the title with something absurd like this doesn't make it any better.

:messenger_ok: If anyone has a new title, feel free to post and I'll edit it. For note, mod team stance (particularly in gaming) is any titles that are obviously trying to be sensationalist or introduce a stance from the off will be replaced with an anti- sensationalist/reductive title. Titles of youtube videos are not good thread titles unless sourced in the title as well.

I'm around for a short time so best title in ten posts wins.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
:messenger_ok: If anyone has a new title, feel free to post and I'll edit it. For note, mod team stance (particularly in gaming) is any titles that are obviously trying to be sensationalist or introduce a stance from the off will be replaced with an anti- sensationalist/reductive title. Titles of youtube videos are not good thread titles unless sourced in the title as well.

I'm around for a short time so best title in ten posts wins.

Dragon Age 4 will be consistent with Bioware's political ideology of the past decade?

I tried...

Vawn

Banned
Was it necessary for a mod to change the OP's title? It feels like censoring his opinion. I thought we were past all that here.

There is nothing wrong qith diversity however when u start trhing to force it on people for no reason it backfires as we saw with bfv

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
Going to have to step out for a bit, I've updated to something balanced but accurate. I think. Will have to do until I'm back anyway.

radewagon

Grrrr. Stop forcing your diversity on us. We liked it much more when you forced your lack of diversity on us.

:messenger_ok: If anyone has a new title, feel free to post and I'll edit it.

I dunno, pick your poison ;)
  • Narrative Director confirms that new Dragon Age story will rely heavily on (personal) political messaging
  • Narrative Director of new Dragon Age confirms that "all art is politics"
  • Narrative Director admits that next Dragon Age will reflect his political views
  • Narrative Director confirms that new Dragon Age story will focus on political messaging

Last edited:

Sygma

Having played all of them I kind of get what he's saying, since Dragon Age always have been about recognizing anyone's values regardless of their genders or beliefs. Nothing new under the sun, but it will fuel the fire of so many clickbaiters that yeah talking about it is a mistake in the first place

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
Do you know that the impression given is actually the opposite?

No its not. The devoloper literally says the game is supposed to "celebrate diversity". like who da fuq cares? Stop trying to push your political views onto your games, maybe if you stopped telling everyone how great it is to be a feminist you could make a decent game for a change.

I don't like how some people react to this sort of stuff, but don't necessarily disagree.

They're obviously not worried about making good games, they want to tell everyone what they should think, you're a game developer, you're not here to change the world stfu and make games.

The only politics a game should have is about the world it's in, not make commentary about the real world.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The guy is entitled to his political beliefs, and if he has the writing chops to do the job, I'm fine with it.

Pre-judging games based on lead creatives' tweets is Resetera's stock-in-trade. Its not a good look.

VertigoOA

Banned
I typically like bioware games. I’m very libertarian. I don’t let politics interfere with my game. I really enjoy the bioshock games for instance. I think infinite’s story is a travesty but I still really, really applaud how they pull of the narrative and style...

But. When the team itself uses politics as a marketing tool it makes me a bit sour.

And I don’t get why this keeps happening. They’re doubling down on sarkeesian strategies and it’s been a huge factor in these titles absolutely tanking.

So... in the end. This is just stupid

Last edited:

SonGoku

Is this any surprise to anyone? The last DA was a liberal politics circle jerk and BioWare is run by trendy NPC hacks these days, so anything they make they will make sure to shove their politics down your throat
pass

kyussman

Diversity is great and political messaging is great if its a positive messege but I just can't help thinking it's often so hamfistivly shoehorned into games that it ends up not working as it should.

When it is done well like the gay guy in The Last of Us its great and natural,cos he's just a gay guy in the game and that's that.Ellies gay as well of course and that's just as natural cos again she's just a gay girl....big deal,lol.

If EA can push these issues(which are important)into their games seemlessly then that's all good,no one needs to be upset by diversity.....I don't think they have the chops to do it if Battlefield V is any indication.

Iggzy

q.png
She still works in Bioware, along with some cosplayer
image_uploaded_from_ios.jpg
One great decision after another, bioware hire some more of these,fail and close down please.

Shifty

'All art is politics' (a.k.a. let's attempt to inject the thing I'm militantly obsessed with into the broad spectrum of things everyone else cares about)

Fuck off son. That's about as disingenuous as you can get when it comes to ramming your political stance down somebody else's throat.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
Bioware will go belly up. Anthem will fail and after DA4 EA will either downsize or completely remove the studio. Its been one shitshow after another after the doctors left.

Top Bottom