• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daemon X Machina | Review Thread |

Ma-Yuan

Well since I am really hyped for this game and hopefully find the time to play it. I thought I should start my first thread for it and since I Didn't found a review thread this it.

Don't expect to much ;-)

09/10

08/10

08/10

07/10

Currently sits at 72 with Metacritic with 24 Reviews.

I think its in the margin it should be. Its a niche game and definetly not for everyone but if you are a Mech and Armored Core Fan its about the right and good game for you I read those reviews correctly.^^

KàIRóS

This game proved to me that I needed another Armored Core in my life, I can't wait to get Online next friday and show my Mecha to others.

Fbh

Sounds like a "wait for a decent sale or price drop". But since Nintendo does neither I guess it's a skip.

With some luck someone I know might get it and I can borrow it

MagnesG

Banned
Reviews are skewed to great gameplay and okay to a mess story.

Though this is the type of game where you will automatically love if only for its gameplay loop done right, because of how niche the genre is. You just have to appreciate games like these still exists.

Also they promised online PvP later so that's a plus for me.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm waiting to hear impressions from a die-hard Armored Core fan before I bite on this one. Demo left me a bit shaky (although I know they've continued to improve things since the demo, based on feedback).

sublimit

Banned
I'm waiting to hear impressions from a die-hard Armored Core fan before I bite on this one. Demo left me a bit shaky (although I know they've continued to improve things since the demo, based on feedback).
Buster TBM Gameplay who's one of the most die-hard AC fans out there has been having a lot of fun with the game.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Buster TBM Gameplay who's one of the most die-hard AC fans out there has been having a lot of fun with the game.
Perfect! This is exactly what I was searching for. I'll give him a look.

BlackTron

I was pretty deflated myself after the demo, tried it once back then and never looked back. But they recently released an updated demo that made a better impression.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I really wanted to like this game because the developers were super passionate about it, but i'm just not into Mech games i guess. The demo was fun enough for a couple missions its just not something I can see myself really getting into

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Im gonna buy it soon! I have a lot of games... This month I buy catherine full body for ps4 premium edtion and Death mark límited edition for Nintendo Swicht because was in 39.00$

NahaNago

I was expecting this to be in the
I wish i could but unfortunately work hasn't been that good lately (i work freelance) and i have had too many (unexpected) expenses in the last 2 years. Plus i'm also trying to (slowly) save some money for my first major trip to Japan. :)

So how much spending money do you think you would need for 1 week or 2 weeks in Japan? I'm trying to guesstimate on how much I should ultimately save.

The gameplay just looked decent at best from what I saw, the only thing that was gonna convince me was really good reviews. Looks like I'm gonna skip this one.

sublimit

Banned
So how much spending money do you think you would need for 1 week or 2 weeks in Japan? I'm trying to guesstimate on how much I should ultimately save.
I'm not sure yet. For 2 weeks i am estimating around 3000-3500€ minimum (besides the airplane tickets) and that is by counting on staying at a friend of my Japanese teacher for when i'll be in Tokyo. However i also plan to visit Kyoto and Osaka and there i'll have to find rooms to rent (i'm thinking for traditional Ryokan since they are generally more affordable from what i've heard). When the time comes we will try to estimate the costs together with my teacher since she has obviously a lot of knowledge regarding the cost of living there.

Sorry for the off topic guys.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I'm not sure yet. For 2 weeks i am estimating around 3000-3500€ minimum (besides the airplane tickets) and that is by counting on staying at a friend of my Japanese teacher for when i'll be in Tokyo. However i also plan to visit Kyoto and Osaka and there i'll have to find rooms to rent (i'm thinking for traditional Ryokan since they are generally more affordable from what i've heard). When the time comes we will try to estimate the costs together with my teacher since she has obviously a lot of knowledge regarding the cost of living there.

Sorry for the off topic guys.

ah, I see. I should probably save a bit more money then since your minimum is about twice what I was planning to save, but my hotel rooms are already paid for.

edit: on topic still need to try the demo but I was expecting around that Metacritic for the game.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The gameplay just looked decent at best from what I saw, the only thing that was gonna convince me was really good reviews. Looks like I'm gonna skip this one.
Most Armored Core games didn’t got high score reviews either. Mecha games usually don't get high score because they are very niche and it doesn't have the mass appeal. I personally mecha fan and I enjoyed the both demos so this definitely buy for me.

Rat Rage

I think Daemon X Machina is a perfect example of a videogame, where I just don't give a flying rats-ass about the reviews.

The first time I ever played an "Armored Core" game was on PS1. In fact, it was a demo of the game on one of those PS1 demo discs that came free with the respective video game magazines.

As soon I played the demo, I knew: "This is MY KINDA game". I wasn't dissapointed. I bought it and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Same situation here.

Heimdall_Xtreme

This mediocre review give it 6 of score

I dont care the review and I write him about The horrible review that he give it and lack of knowledge about gaming. I think this game is for 8.5 to 9. So i will get it in the next month

Vawn

Banned
This mediocre review give it 6 of score

I dont care the review and I write him about The horrible review that he give it and lack of knowledge about gaming. I think this game is for 8.5 to 9. So i will get it in the next month

What? You're telling someone who completed the game his opinion is wrong and you, who hasn't played the game, has the score it "should" recieve?

Ladioss

Most Armored Core games didn’t got high score reviews either. Mecha games usually don't get high score because they are very niche and it doesn't have the mass appeal. I personally mecha fan and I enjoyed the both demos so this definitely buy for me.

Armored Core is the poster franchise of how a niche game series is misunderstood by most game reviewers - most notably by failing to see how the mech customization mechanism is the point of the whole series.

So, but that's just me, I wouldn't give much value to review scores on a niche title anyway...

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well since I am really hyped for this game and hopefully find the time to play it. I thought I should start my first thread for it and since I Didn't found a review thread this it.

Don't expect to much ;-)

09/10

08/10

08/10

07/10

Currently sits at 72 with Metacritic with 24 Reviews.

I think its in the margin it should be. Its a niche game and definetly not for everyone but if you are a Mech and Armored Core Fan its about the right and good game for you I read those reviews correctly.^^
I'm a huge armored core fan, but a lot of my joy of armored core comes from tinkering and calibrating in the garage. Just to get my AC to be perfect. I miss Chromehounds so much. I won't assume, but it seems like this doesn't really give you that level of control am I right?

Heimdall_Xtreme

What? You're telling someone who completed the game his opinion is wrong and you, who hasn't played the game, has the score it "should" recieve?
No exactly, its because he review other games... specially Gravity rush 2 that only give 9 because "Have chirriant sound" for me is a complety stupid point.

And the same page review give 7 to Nier because "The graphics ps2 are horrible".

Out of context.

Vawn

Banned
No exactly, its because he review other games... specially Gravity rush 2 that only give 9 because "Have chirriant sound" for me is a complety stupid point.

And the same page review give 7 to Nier because "The graphics ps2 are horrible".

Out of context.

You're complaining someone only gave Gravity Rush 2 a 9? I get it, you think it's the greatest game ever, but you do realize you're an outlier, not the norm - right?

Heimdall_Xtreme

You're complaining someone only gave Gravity Rush 2 a 9? I get it, you think it's the greatest game ever, but you do realize you're an outlier, not the norm - right?

My complaint is that they take away qualification for absolutely dumb things.

"I under the qualification because it is only in English and not Spanish."

C´mon!!!!

And for Stupid things like this is why mostly games that are specially can be hide for the auidience.

And Yes... Gravity rush 2 is a game for 9.7 to 10

Well it's the most "critically" acclaimed Armored Core game since the first 3, and only 1 review below a 6. Seems good.

I'm a huge armored core fan, but a lot of my joy of armored core comes from tinkering and calibrating in the garage. Just to get my AC to be perfect. I miss Chromehounds so much. I won't assume, but it seems like this doesn't really give you that level of control am I right?
Well the Kotaku summary on the metacritic page had too much customization as a negative, so you might be good on that. Then again it's Kotaku, brightness settings is probably too complicated for them.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

Wow I just watched the IGN review, the guy is complaining that you progress through the game by defeating enemies, my god these fucking reviewers.

IE4NfQd.gif

Vawn

Banned
My complaint is that they take away qualification for absolutely dumb things.

"I under the qualification because it is only in English and not Spanish."

C´mon!!!!

And for Stupid things like this is why mostly games that are specially can be hide for the auidience.

And Yes... Gravity rush 2 is a game for 9.7 to 10

Its actually an 80.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Its actually an 80.

For me metacritic is a piece of shit, for many reasons.

1.- Does not specialize in video games

2.- It has a very wide margin of bias

3.- Combine with sites "Second or very poor quality" for example what they evaluate and do not know anything about videogames like the New York Times magazine.

4.- Because it allows the user to evaluate and unfortunately or evaluate the haters or those who do not deepen and only see it by streamers or youtube and not by the experience itself.... Example : The legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild ( Hardcore fans do anything to put a 10 even if they dont have the console and the game)

5.- Because all these scores are Copy Paste of IGN, if Papa IGN says he has horrible graphics, everyone will make the copy paste and have no criteria of their own.

Again... This Score of Gravity rush 2 is a huge mistake... the game is a masterpiece... 10 is easy the best score and is not only because i am a fan of the saga, because is the quality itself of the game that speak everything.

Don't think that I hate video game analysts just for fun, but because I already know their moves

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
For me metacritic is a piece of shit, for many reasons.

1.- Does not specialize in video games

2.- It has a very wide margin of bias

3.- Combine with sites "Second or very poor quality" for example what they evaluate and do not know anything about videogames like the New York Times magazine.

4.- Because it allows the user to evaluate and unfortunately or evaluate the haters or those who do not deepen and only see it by streamers or youtube and not by the experience itself.... Example : The legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild ( Hardcore fans do anything to put a 10 even if they dont have the console and the game)

5.- Because all these scores are Copy Paste of IGN, if Papa IGN says he has horrible graphics, everyone will make the copy paste and have no criteria of their own.

Again... This Score of Gravity rush 2 is a huge mistake... the game is a masterpiece... 10 is easy the best score and is not only for my fan of the saga, because is the quality itself of the game speak everything.
I bought GR for the Vita day one and GR2 for the Ps4 and played it for like 40-70 minutes. I just couldn't get into it. 80 is a good score, it is not a game for everybody. THAT BEING SAID I still agree with you. Metacritic is worthless. We need demos rather than reviewers really.

Heimdall_Xtreme

I bought GR for the Vita day one and GR2 for the Ps4 and played it for like 40-70 minutes. I just couldn't get into it. 80 is a good score, it is not a game for everybody. THAT BEING SAID I still agree with you. Metacritic is worthless. We need demos rather than reviewers really.

Exactly... for me the Best review is the Gamer that finish the game ... nothing more.

And....

See what i mean... This Site "Meristation" is doing exactly what i say it.

COPY PASTE OF PAPA IGN.

i bet my house that if IGN Give 9... everybody give a 9

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'll pick it up on sale. I'm literally swimming in games at the moment that I've hardly played.

The demos got better. The gyro aiming helps a TON. I wasn't blown away, but demo 2 was a lot more fun.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Thats always case with most Japanese mecha games, for games like these I always trust my own judgement and thankfully we got two demos for it and I really enjoy them.

Exactly... the best review is the own experience... not a mediocre analyst "Gamer"

MagnesG

Banned
Looks like they really hate the story, they were hoping for something "more" lmao. Maybe some lesbo actions that can question their minds? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

sublimit

Banned
Thats always case with most Japanese mecha games, for games like these I always trust my own judgement and thankfully we got two demos for it and I really enjoy them.
This reminds me of a video rant i've watched a long time ago from an Armored Core series veteran about AC reviewers in general and how no one should take them seriously. I'll try to find it.

Edit: Here it is

Last edited:
Top Bottom