• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Da'esh (ISIS) |OT| 21st century Evil and menace to Civilization | News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearing news that Abu Fawaz killed by Lebanese army. Another one bites the dust.

Source: http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCAKCN0XP0NL

ISIS is currently targeting Turkey. Not just with suicide bombing and through rocket attacks on Kilis on the Syria - Turkey border:
Rockets from Syria kill four Syrians in Turkey's Kilis - AJE News
Rockets fired from Syria hit Turkey's Kilis - AJE News

But also through targeted attacks on its military:
April 28, 2016: Islamic State claims strikes on Turkish artillery as tensions rise on Turkey-Syria border - The Washington Post
Video
April 20, 2016: ISIS blows up Turkish tank northern Iraq: Video - ARA News
The video is already down, but can be found here.

Turkey has started to pound them with artillery since the recent suicide attacks, i.e.:
Turkish military kills 11 Islamic State militants in northern Syria: sources | Reuters

Meanwhile:
Number of foreign fighters entering Iraq and Syria drops by 90 percent, Pentagon says - The Washington Post

The flow of foreign fighters into Iraq and Syria has dropped from roughly 2,000 a month down to 200 within the past year, according to the Pentagon, which says the waning numbers are further proof of the Islamic State’s declining stature.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
There was a massive Hashd presence there and a lot of the work and coordination seems to have been done by them/Pasdaran, so to say it was taken by the Iraqi Army isn't entirely accurate.

Not having a go, just sayin.

CHEEZMO™;204750370 said:
There was a massive Hashd presence there and a lot of the work and coordination seems to have been done by them/Pasdaran, so to say it was taken by the Iraqi Army isn't entirely accurate.

Not having a go, just sayin.
I hear ya. Im just being Iraqi Government shill :p

Today is big day: Fallujah attack begins

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/30/iraqi-forces-enter-fallujah-in-attempt-to-drive-out-islamic-state said:
Iraqi troops seize control of districts of Falluja from Isis
AFP reported that Lt Gen Abdelwahab al-Saadi, the commander of the operation, said: “Iraqi forces entered Falluja under air cover from the international coalition, the Iraqi air force and army aviation, and supported by artillery and tanks.”

Explosions and gunfire could be heard in the southern Naimiya district as Iraqi forces advanced. State television reported that an elite military unit seized the district’s police station at midday local time.

Daesh is being wrecked from all sides right now but despite that, they wrested control of a few villages from the Kurds on the Turkish border. Syrian Army is also beginning to launch an assault on Raq'a, the Capitol city. If ISIS withstands this assault, they're here to stay.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Manbij is the southern district of Raqa correct?

Far to the North-West, on the west bank of the Euphrates and south of Jarablus. Looks like the SDF push south to pressure Raqqa's northern extremes was either a feint or was diverted west to Manbij now ISIS are busy throwing men at the FSA pockets in North Aleppo.

I can't believe I'm saying this, bit thank God for Putin. Had he not made the push he made that other western countries were too politically afraid to do, Raqqa might never be reclaimed.

If the Syrian Army can reach the Euphrates that will cut Isis forces in Syria in half. That will put even more pressure on Ar-Raqqa where the Kurds keep attacking from the north.

Dilly

Banned
So, what happens when both Russia/Syrian army and the US backed rebels both enter Raqqa and cross each other?

So, what happens when both Russia/Syrian army and the US backed rebels both enter Raqqa and cross each other?
Screen%20Shot%202013-04-11%20at%202.45.03%20AM.png

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
The pressure they are under seems to have compromised ISIS in the Northern Syria theatre. SDF have been expanding their positions on the Manbij front, now holding positions on three sides of the city itself. Reports ISIS have evacuated some of the smaller villages near the frontline, and maybe letting people leave the city proper.

To the West, ISIS seem to have withdrawn from a number of villages around the Azaz area, allowing the Azaz and Mare' pockets to be relinked. Likely done as a result of pressure in the East coupled with their inability to capture Mare' (and reportedly the heavy losses they sustained in trying).

On a side note, yesterday marked 10 years since the killing of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

IA has breached into the southern district of Fallujah. Interestingly the militias and infantry have surrounded the city for days, only the elite counter-terrorism units are going in and engaging in door-to-door combat. They are using the same template US army used in its bid to put Fallujah to rest during the insurgency.

(NAYMIYAH, Iraq) — A column of black Humvees carrying Iraqi special forces rolled into southern Fallujah on Wednesday, the first time in more than two years that government troops have entered the western city held by the Islamic State group.

The counterterrorism troops fought house-to-house battles with the militants in the Shuhada neighborhood, and the operation to retake the city is expected to be one of the most difficult yet.

Although other security forces from the federal and provincial police, government-sanctioned Shiite militias and the Iraqi military have surrounded the city, only the elite counterterrorism troops are fighting inside Fallujah at this stage of the operation. And they are doing so under the close cover of U.S.-led coalition airpower.
I'm cautiously hopeful this tactic might work and glad the militias are not being allowed to go in. Those guys would just butcher everything.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Looks like ISIS halted and somewhat reversed the pro-Assad coalition's push towards Tabqa. Not surprising given how precarious the salient was.

Big updates since I was gone

Fall of Fallujah: Surprisingly moderate resistance in the city described as hornet's nest and the source of terrorism in Baghdad by the PM. Of course those claims fell flat after the deadly shopping mall bombing last week. Still, this is the biggest victory against Daesh in history.

A massive convoy of ISIS fighters was struck by IA. The convoy was full of ISIS fighters fleeing Fallujah. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VjXFGGqX7lw Like fish in barrel. There is unconfirmed reports that this convoy consisted of feared foreign fighters from Chechnya and elsewhere.

Siege of Manbij: SDF has encircled the area of Manbij for a month now and ISIS has put up its fiercest resistance yet, and for very important reasons. Manbij borders Turkey and stands in the way of Kurdish unification. If Manbij falls, ISIS is effectively isolated from the outside world and it's fighters wont be able to freely cross the Turkish borders or conduct illegal trade. You can see its importance in this map (Manbij is in cyan)

ManbijPocket.jpg

ISIS tried to break the siege twice with convoys of suicide bomber cars but was repelled both times. Their fall is imminent.

Push towards Qayyarah in the east

SA reportedly captured Malla Farms in the Battle of Aleppo effectively cutting out rebel supply route.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Seems Abu Omar al-Shishani for realsies dead, once and for all. Lost count of the number of times his death was rumoured/claimed.

casiopao

Hmmm. Is Russia and Putin still supporting Assad and his army here? As i feel Isis is doing badly right now.

And huge question here. Is Russia really instrumental on Isis fall here or it is just propaganda? as i heard conflicting report here.T_T

Magni

Hmmm. Is Russia and Putin still supporting Assad and his army here? As i feel Isis is doing badly right now.

And huge question here. Is Russia really instrumental on Isis fall here or it is just propaganda? as i heard conflicting report here.T_T

Unless things have changed, they are bombing ISIS territory, but it's nothing in comparison to the bombing happening in the non-ISIS rebel territory.

casiopao

Unless things have changed, they are bombing ISIS territory, but it's nothing in comparison to the bombing happening in the non-ISIS rebel territory.

Hmmm. So Russia is focusing much more on Rebel rather than ISIS i guess? I wonder why i remember hearing from the news in my country saying that ISIS started to crumble the moment Russia entering the battlezone. While under USA, ISIS is actually staying strong.

Magni

Hmmm. So Russia is focusing much more on Rebel rather than ISIS i guess? I wonder why i remember hearing from the news in my country saying that ISIS started to crumble the moment Russia entering the battlezone. While under USA, ISIS is actually staying strong.

Out of curiosity, where do you live? China?

The progress vs ISIS made by Assad's ragtag forces supported Russia are minuscule compared to SDF (mainly Kurds) supported by the coalition. I'll quote myself:

That's simply not true. If you think the "western média" is lying, you can just hit open source information. For instance: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Syrian,_Iraqi,_and_Lebanese_insurgencies.png#filehistory

Russia started bombing for Assad at the end of September, 2015. Since then Assad's gains have been mostly at the expense of rebels held positions rather than ISIS.
Also note that since Putin's intervention ISIS still holds pretty much the same borderland with Turkey as it did before.
QqaLn5O.gif

The real game changer has been the formation of SDF and the open Western (coalition) support for it - and prior to that, the YPG, within Syrian borders. Down to A-10 ground attack BRRRRRRRRs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnwwzkk5lss&t=1m38s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83oGww3crx4&t=1m54s

Right now Russia pretty much only gives a fuck about ISIS around Deir ez-Zor (the red pocket enclosed by ISIS).
They also regularly bomb rebels factions which engage with ISIS. Like the New Syrian Army, which is supplied through Jordan and so far only engaged ISIS, not Assad's regime (see green gains in the south):
Russia denies bombing U.S.-backed Syrian rebels near Jordan border - CNNPolitics.com

The strikes, which the U.S. says killed some New Syrian Army troops, occurred about six miles from the Jordanian border, according to a U.S. defense official. The U.S. diverted armed FA-18s to the area after the first round of two strikes, and the pilots then tried to call the Russians on a previously agreed-upon pilot-to-pilot communications channel but did not receive an answer.
As soon as the U.S. jets left the area to refuel, the Russians came back for another round of bombing, the defense official said.
"Russian aircraft conducted a series of airstrikes near al-Tanf against Syrian counter-ISIL forces that included individuals who have received U.S. support. Russian aircraft have not been active in this area of Southern Syria for some time, and there were no Syrian regime or Russian ground forces in the vicinity," a senior defense official said. "Russia's latest actions raise serious concern about Russian intentions. We will seek an explanation from Russia on why it took this action and assurances this will not happen again."
The first two bombing runs by the Russians were carried out by two SU-24 Russian jets coming out of their base near Latakia. The jets dropped what is believed to be the equivalent of U.S. 500-pound bombs and possibly cluster munitions, according to the U.S. defense official.

Lastly, Russia helps a regime that is cooperating with ISIS: Syrian government working with IS - NeoGAF

casiopao

The progress vs ISIS made by Assad's ragtag forces supported Russia are minuscule compared to SDF (mainly Kurds) supported by the coalition. I'll quote myself:

Right now Russia pretty much only gives a fuck about ISIS around Deir ez-Zor (the red pocket enclosed by ISIS).
They also regularly bomb rebels factions which engage with ISIS. Like the New Syrian Army, which is supplied through Jordan and so far only engaged ISIS, not Assad's regime (see green gains in the south):
Russia denies bombing U.S.-backed Syrian rebels near Jordan border - CNNPolitics.com

Lastly, Russia helps a regime that is cooperating with ISIS: Syrian government working with IS - NeoGAF

Well, if i am not mistaken, considering how bad the relation between Russia and Turkey currently, i can see why Russia won't liberate ISIS location which is close to Turkey here.

And isn't the rebel also is more or less "moderate" rebel which do many horrible things too? I feel that it is like pick your poison kind of thing so i don't really care that they bomb both faction there.

The map does show that ISIS losing areas from all four other factions here. The yellow, Red, Green and Purple is gaining back their areas. Which is Good.^_^ Lets hope those Deash burn to hell faster.^_^

Well, if i am not mistaken, considering how bad the relation between Russia and Turkey currently, i can see why Russia won't liberate ISIS location which is close to Turkey here.

And isn't the rebel also is more or less "moderate" rebel which do many horrible things too? I feel that it is like pick your poison kind of thing so i don't really care that they bomb both faction there.

The map does show that ISIS losing areas from all four other factions here. The yellow, Red, Green and Purple is gaining back their areas. Which is Good.^_^ Lets hope those Deash burn to hell faster.^_^

1) The post was an answer to this dumb ass post:
Kobane wasn't the turning point, the Russian intervention was. To make things simple, Russia cut out all its easy access to weapons and militants through Turkey and has been bombing them prety hard for the past 6 months now (contrary to what western média has been saying)

Russia doesn't liberate anything, they have a limited presence on the ground. A bigger presence than the coalition, but still a limited one. Right now the bulk of Assad's army consists of Hezbollah and other sectarian Shiite groups / terrorists from Iraq, Iran, etc. Also Russian PMCs. Up to Palmyra the Assad / ISIS front was practically at a standstill.

2) Assad and the powers supporting him are responsible for the overwhelming majority of civilian deaths in Syria. ISIS and Al Qaeda (Al Nusra) can only dream of his tally. The moderate rebels are loosing ground to the Islamist factions because while the former don't get nearly as much support as the latter (from Gulf countries / Turkey). If you root for everyone non-Assad to be bombed then fuck you I guees.

3) Sure, they can burn with Assad.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
It's especially ridiculous as the one place ISIS has been extremely resilient (and even resurgent) has been in central Syria, which is the only place Russian ground and helicopter forces are engaging them directly. The operation to recapture took time to happen and required a broad coalition of all sorts of pro-Assad militias, foreign Shia jihadists, the IRGC and Basij, and heavy Russian artillery, armour, air, and even actual ground combat ops by SOF and reggular ground troops to pull off. Even then ISIS didn't put up too stubborn of a defence and withdrew after some heavy fighting. Of course certain sectors then trumpeted from the rooftops how this was the greatest victory ever scored against the group. You'd think it was Day 0 in the fight against ISIS.

Also lol the RuAF has overwhelmingly bombed areas in Syria that are held by Opposition groups and killed thousands of civilians in the process, along with displacing tens of thousands more and destroying huge amounts of civilian and medical infrastructure.

Potentially great news: Coalition Forces Uncover Vital ISIL Intelligence in Key Syrian City > U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE

In an operational update briefing with Pentagon reporters by teleconference from Centcom headquarters in Tampa, Florida, Air Force Col. Pat Ryder said the SDF recovered more than 10,000 ISIL documents and 4.5 terabytes of data during its offensive to retake Manbij from the ISIL terrorists’ control. The information ultimately could prove useful in this fight and future counter-ISIL operations, he added.

CHEEZMO™;210080637 said:
It's especially ridiculous as the one place ISIS has been extremely resilient (and even resurgent) has been in central Syria, which is the only place Russian ground and helicopter forces are engaging them directly. The operation to recapture took time to happen and required a broad coalition of all sorts of pro-Assad militias, foreign Shia jihadists, the IRGC and Basij, and heavy Russian artillery, armour, air, and even actual ground combat ops by SOF and reggular ground troops to pull off. Even then ISIS didn't put up too stubborn of a defence and withdrew after some heavy fighting. Of course certain sectors then trumpeted from the rooftops how this was the greatest victory ever scored against the group. You'd think it was Day 0 in the fight against ISIS.

Also lol the RuAF has overwhelmingly bombed areas in Syria that are held by Opposition groups and killed thousands of civilians in the process, along with displacing tens of thousands more and destroying huge amounts of civilian and medical infrastructure.

In retrospect it seems like it was of a lesser importance to ISIS, strategically. Seems like Putin pushed for Palmyra for a PR effect (that dumb ass concert of his), but now it appears they don't really commit to it.

It's telling that ISIS is still capable of engaging Palmyra with VBIEDs:
The moment a terrorists car bomb hit Syrian Army gathering near Palmyra - YouTube
(NSFW aftermath)

They even shot down a Russian / Syrian chopper recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0sXaBlCIiM
Russia confirms helicopter shot down in Syria | IHS Jane's 360

And the supply line to Palmyra also seems very vulnerable:
Isis 'destroys' Syrian airbase and four Russian helicopters | Middle East | News | The Independent
89ygPkc.jpg
wX3LMRE.jpg

/It also seems like they're stretching themselves thin. Rather than committing to ISIS, they gotta prop Assad & continue to bomb rebel held cities.

Reuters: Iraqi Shi'ite cleric tells followers to target U.S. troops fighting Islamic State

U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said on Monday the Pentagon would dispatch 560 additional troops to help Iraqi forces retake the northern city of Mosul in an offensive planned for later this year.

Sadr, who rose to prominence when his Mahdi Army battled U.S. troops after the 2003 invasion, posted the comments on his official website after a follower asked for his response to the announcement.

"They are a target for us," Sadr said, without offering details.

With shitty friends like that, who needs enemies?

Turns out Russians continue to attack New Syrian Army (FB account) outposts, no fucks given:

Russia Bombed Base in Syria Used by U.S. - WSJ

June attack:
After that first Russian strike, officers with the U.S. military’s Central Command air operations center in Qatar called their counterparts in Russia’s air campaign headquarters in Latakia, Syria, U.S. officials said. The American officers told the Russians that the garrison was part of the U.S. campaign against Islamic State and shouldn’t be attacked.
Roughly 90 minutes after the U.S. warning was delivered, U.S. aircraft circling nearby watched as the Russians launched a second wave of strikes against the garrison.
A U.S. military surveillance aircraft overhead tried to hail the Russian pilots directly using the frequencies which the U.S. and Russian governments had agreed to use in emergencies.
The Russian pilots didn’t respond.

July attack:
Following the strike, the U.S. gave the Russians some additional information about U.S. operations along the Jordanian border. U.S. officials said they told Moscow to steer clear of the border area.
But on July 12, as Mr. Kerry was preparing to fly to Moscow to complete the agreement to increase U.S.-Russian coordination, Russian aircraft targeted another base near the Jordanian border, about 50 miles from At-Tanf, used by family members of CIA-backed fighters and other displaced Syrians, according to U.S. officials briefed on the strike and rebel commanders.
Tllass Salameh, a commander with the Lions of the East rebel group which works out of the base, said 200 people were living at the “families’ camp.” In the strike, the Russians used cluster munitions, which increased the number of casualties, according to Mr. Salameh and U.S. officials. Mr. Salameh said two young children, aged two and three, were killed along with two young women and a man in his mid-50s. In addition, 48 people were injured, all civilians, he said.

The Russians are not in Syria to fight ISIS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few days ago the FSA retook ISIS-held Doudyan village in Northern Aleppo.

The Turkmen Sultan Murad brigade briefly flashed child soldiers they appear to be using: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5czsQv0wLkc
They've also managed to capture an ISIS child soldier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmGhYAGG4gU

The Hamza Division also took part in that assault: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni2Zz5fxtzU

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the Manbij strike thread:

Exclusive: Fighters encircle IS stronghold - BBC News - YouTube

Article: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-36848681?SThisFB

A docu by Fusion. A bit older, but not yet posted here.

ISIS Fighters, Chapter 1: Joining the Fight Against the Islamic State - YouTube

ISIS Fighters, Chapter 2: The Women Warriors Who Fight Islamic Terror

ISIS Fighters, Chapter 3: Syrian War Tactics, Straight Out of Mad Max (Graphic) - YouTube
(here you can see how intel on targets is being reported to the coalition)

ISIS Fighters, Chapter 4: “My Future Is Unknown” - YouTube

ISIS Fighters, Chapter 5: Training to Kill Jihadis - YouTube

ISIS Fighters, Chapter 6: “I’m Not Gonna Make a Huge Difference in the Body Count” - YouTube

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
New issue of Dabiq is out (#15 - Break the Cross). Pretty much exclusively about Christianity, its relation to Islam past and present, some history lessons, explaining the falseless of the corrupted religion and the truth of Islam etc etc.

Interestingly, rather than simply being directed at IS supporters, this edition seems to actually be meant for a Christian/non-Muslim audience.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Not AFAIK. Slow but steady progress is still being made though. Urban combat against a determined, skilled enemy defensive force is tricky.

Valhelm

contribute something
Any idea how US involvement would change under a Clinton presidency?

Did she have any involvement with Kurdish factions during her time as Secretary of State?

Any idea how US involvement would change under a Clinton presidency?

Did she have any involvement with Kurdish factions during her time as Secretary of State?

I don't see any reasons for it to change. I think her foreign policy will be very much like Obama's. Depending on her Secretary of State (& due to DNC hacks) it may become a bit more aggressive towards Russia & Assad.

The Fight Against ISIS: Ross Kemp Joins Kurds [Documentary HD] - YouTube

Some foreign fighters who have died in the past week fighting for the SDF (YPG):
Slovenian Martin Gruden
British Dean Carl Evans
American Jordan MacTaggart

To follow up on RustyNails's map (Situation in Manbij):

xwx3m2S.jpg

Valhelm

contribute something
Really wonder if the YPG will connect the Cantons.

Most maps of Syria show a pro-government enclave in eastern Rojava. What is this? Do Assad's soldiers in this region have some sort of non-aggression pact with the Kurds?

fd22460045.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom