• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 (The Great Ace Attorney 2) cover art, details

GSR

R6gGH9y.png

More details from Famitsu/etc. I translated for CR the past few weeks:
  • Case 2 is basically a sequel to the first game's 4th case, and in fact takes place between DGS1-4 and DGS1-5.
  • Viridian Green (victim of DGS1-4) and the two mysterious men who made cameos in 1-4 have major roles in the second case.
  • The third case jumps back to the present day and is about an explosion at the World's Fair during a teleportation experiment.
  • Gina returns as a detective-in-training.
  • Eshiro and Takumi have stated many, many times that they plan to wrap up all the lingering mysteries from the first game with this one. They aren't ruling out a DGS3 but it would depend on this game selling well and Takumi having a good idea for one.

They're releasing recap videos, though the only one out so far seems pretty basic. They'll probably have a good amount of recapping in-game as well.

Game's out August 3rd in Japan.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Really excited for DGS2 but I barely remember anything from the first one.

I really enjoyed the first game, but so many of the plot points are a blur in my memory. I should read through a wiki or something before this hits.

GSR

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Someday my Japanese will be good enough to play this.

Nyoro SF

Looking forward to a Japanese playthrough. The first game was really marvelous, you can tell they strove to combine the Ace Attorney feel with the Holmes books as best as they could.

And that promo art is glorious.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird to see a new Ace Attorney and feel absolutely zero hype because I know there's absolutely zero chance this will be localized. I hate to feel this way, but Capcom doesn't leave me any other choice.

At least Investigations 2 got a fan translation, but I don't know if the 3DS titles will ever get one. Hopefully they do someday.

Demoli

Can't wait to not play this either.

Hope some fans will do some fan translations of this and the previous game.

xboxster

It's weird to see a new Ace Attorney and feel absolutely zero hype because I know there's absolutely zero chance this will be localized. I hate to feel this way, but Capcom doesn't leave me any other choice.

At least Investigations 2 got a fan translation, but I don't know if the 3DS titles will ever get one. Hopefully they do someday.

There's at least development on a translation of DGS (no localization like AAI2 though). Even has a demo available!

https://gbatemp.net/threads/project...y-dai-gyakuten-saiban-fan-translation.427572/

HardRojo

Someday my Japanese will be good enough to play this.

If it weren't for kanji I could probably be able to play it with some help from guides and stuff. I can read hiragana and katakana and speak the language at an intermediate level, but the freaking kanjis keep me out from being able to fully read whatever text appears in games and other media.

GSR

The first one is still in my backlog. I'm thinking of starting it soon....

Now is probably the ideal time. The fatal flaw of DGS1 is how little it resolves in its overall plot, but now that there's a concluding sequel just around the corner I think DGS1 will feel better.

GSR

Was this series originally planned to be a trilogy? I vaguely remember someone here said that.

It was clearly planned to be a series at least, both because the devs said so and because the first game leaves a ton of open plot points. But I don't think we'll ever know if the aim was always to conclude this arc in two games or if it was a trilogy that got chopped down. Sales and fan reaction suggest the latter, though.

Boogiepop

I've been looking forward to this one, as one small silver lining at the expense of all you guys who can't just import (which does suck, sorry!) is that I can at least feel confidant enough this time that this isn't coming over, so I'll just import right away.

Quick question, though: any idea why Amazon.jp isn't letting me preorder this to ship to the US? Thought that was all sorted out nowadays and games were fair game now from Amazon themselves, but I'm getting the "can't be shipped to your address" thing when I try...

What was the reason they never released the first one in English?
The estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is extremely litigious in the states, despite half of the Sherlock Holmes works being public domain.

That has never been officially stated as the reason, but I'm sure represents a huge liability.

Obviously there are other Sherlock Holmes games and the lawsuits usually aren't successful, but I can see it being an impediment to a spinoff of a series with a razor thin niche market.

GSR

The estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is extremely litigious in the states, despite half of the Sherlock Holmes works being public domain.

That has never been officially stated as the reason, but I'm sure represents a huge liability.

Obviously there are other Sherlock Holmes games and the lawsuits usually aren't successful, but I can see it being an impediment to a spinoff of a series with a razor thin niche market.

AFAIK the only official comment is that there are "certain circumstances" preventing them from bringing it over. So yeah, concern about legal challenges seems likely. That along with the fact the series is a spinoff of a series that never sold that well to begin with...

Dingens

coincidently I only finished the first one last week (after abandoning the last case about a year ago -_-)
I hope they didn't had to compromise to much due to reducing the trillogy into a two-parter

It was clearly planned to be a series at least, both because the devs said so and because the first game leaves a ton of open plot points. But I don't think we'll ever know if the aim was always to conclude this arc in two games or if it was a trilogy that got chopped down. Sales and fan reaction suggest the latter, though.

I still don't understand why... I absolutely loved it. Definitely one of my top 3 AA games (and a strong contender for the top spot at that).
I also thought it was quite an interesting game from a sociological point of few, as the whole premise is based around racism and xenophobia. The way they handle it is quite unique, especially in games

redcrayon

I like the art style, but have never understood the way some games have to have the entire cast on the cover in varying proportion and perspectives. It just weakens it, as if there isn't anything that sums it up so they just put everything on instead.

Sölf

Man, while I still need to finish AA 6, I am also still sad this like the first will probably never see an official english release. :(

Wasn't the main problem with a localization the use of Holmes and how he is handled in the english speaking region?

MoonFrog

Why do I have to be such a sucker for period stuff and why is that cover so nice? I really want these games to come west...:(

GSR

I still don't understand why... I absolutely loved it. Definitely one of my top 3 AA games (and a strong contender for the top spot at that).

I love DGS1 as well, but you can't really deny that the game pretty much punts all its plot resolution to a future game. When it came out there was no guarantee we'd be getting a sequel, so I totally understand why the ending frustrated a lot of people.

I'd also argue DGS1 has some massive pacing problems in the first and last case, while case 4 is kind of just there. Cases 2 and 3 are the only ones I'd really put in the upper echelon of AA cases.

Gorgeous cover art. This game looks so cool.

Who's the girl on the far left? I like her design.

Gina Lestrade, this series' version of Inspector Lestrade. She was a pickpocket in the first game but in this one she's a detective-in-training.

I love DGS1 as well, but you can't really deny that the game pretty much punts all its plot resolution to a future game. When it came out there was no guarantee we'd be getting a sequel, so I totally understand why the ending frustrated a lot of people.

I'd also argue DGS1 has some massive pacing problems in the first and last case, while case 4 is kind of just there. Cases 2 and 3 are the only ones I'd really put in the upper echelon of AA cases.

Yeah, there were definitely pacing problems, but the characters in both their writing and design were just so absolutely delightful, and the game's version of Meiji Japan / Victorian London was just fantastic. And for some reason I was fairly confident from the start that they'd let Takumi make a sequel, so I didn't mind waiting for the payoff. Glad that I wasn't disappointed.

Anyway, I really only came here to link the second recap digest for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDMNBdhsCGQ

M3d10n

It's the fucking year 2017 and Capcom still refuses to localize games they consider "too Japanese" for Western sensibilities.

I've been trying to catch up with the original series and I'm still on 4, with 5 on the shelf ... But I might jump on the limited edition 2 pack for the two games when this comes out.

Top Bottom