• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Says Rey's Parentage Changed Several Times

VulcanRaven

Daisy Ridley Says Rey's Parentage Changed Several Times, Included Being a Kenobi:

The reveals came while Ridley was talking to Josh Gad on Jimmy Kimmel Live. Asked if she knew Rey's parentage from the beginning of Episode 7, Ridley was blunt: "No. At the beginning there was toying with an Obi-Wan connection, and then- there were, like, different versions. And then it really went to that she was no one.

"And then it came to Episode 9, and J.J. pitched me the film and was like, 'Oh yeah, Palpatine's your grandaddy,' and I was like, 'Awesome.' And then two weeks later he was like, 'Oh, we're not sure'. So it kept changing, so then [audio cuts out] filming and I wasn't sure what the answer was going to be."

They really should have decided it when making The Force Awakens. Also I didn't like that she was Palpatine's granddaughter.

Last edited:
Smart-Select-20200909-140409-Chrome.jpg

LordCBH

Daisy Ridley Says Rey's Parentage Changed Several Times, Included Being a Kenobi:

They really should have decided it when making The Force Awakens. Also I didn't like that she was Palpatine's granddaughter.

they couldn’t decide because Kathleen Kennedy has absolutely zero idea or cohesive vision for Star Wars. She’s dreadful at her job. If she was competent then the people chosen to make these films would’ve had a cohesive vision and story to work from.

Blond

Banned
Upon reflection it's clear DIsney just wanted to put something out there to start making money back on their investment: until the next trilogy I wouldn't expect anything "Good" to come out of Star Wars, if anything.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I don't think it's possible to maintain Ridley is plain-faced. The problems with the trilogy were with writing, direction and overall management; not with her.
i do think it was weird to make the lead a British actor. Luke was an all American kid. Anakin was American too. both kind of everyman-ish and unassuming. she shows up with her posh accent and mannered acting. you fundamentally can't connect with the hero as easily as the previous ones.

also with a British accent, it makes sense she thought she was a Kenobi. makes sense a lot of people guessed she was a Kenobi. he was the only good guy in the series who spoke with a British accent.

feels like every choice they made similarly had all these repercussions they were unaware of. ultimately it was material handled by people who didn't know what they were doing.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
i do think it was weird to make the lead a British actor. Luke was an all American kid. Anakin was American too.

she shows up with a British accent

Given how large the Star Wars universe is supposed to be, there probably ought to be a far greater variety of accent. But barring that; I'd rather listen to British actors. ;)

Pejo

I remember right after TFA released, I think the director made a statement something like "I can't believe people haven't figured out who her parents were, I thought it was obvious". Turns out he was a lying asshole.

Fbh

I'll never understand this shit.

You are fucking disney with billions in the bank
You get fucking Star Wars.
A franchise that's so big and beloved you can have shit like this :
CaringIncompleteArchaeocete-size_restricted.gif

And people will still line up to watch the next movie.
All you needed to do was to make a competent trilogy with some decent characters
You needed to surpass this:
124097-250499-jarjar-500-214-20180704200011@LaVanguardia-Web.gif

And you'd already be on a good way

And somehow you fuck it all up by going "let's just make it up as we go LOL!!!" and hiring JJ abrams.

Last edited:

LordCBH

All you needed to do was to make a competent trilogy with some decent characters

And somehow you fuck it all up hiring by going "let's just make it up as we go LOL!!!" and hiring JJ abrams.

That feel when JarJar has more plot significance than Phasma lol

What a colossal clusterfuck.
And I liked some elements of the trilogy but man was it clear there were too many hands steering this ship directly into a fucking galactic iceberg....

Daisy needs to get a tan and/or stop putting on white powder. Also, red lipstick like that is not flattering. She looked good as a tanned Tom boy. Own it girl!

Barnabot

so rey was like already an insufferable little mary sue in her early childhood that her dad and every single mom's boyfriend went out for cigarettes and never returned?

Dev1lXYZ

The reason why Disney pushed this trilogy so hard was because of the plans for Galaxy’s Edge in both parks. There was a lot of investment made and they made the actors toe the line for years. Their contracts are now up, and they all are aware there won’t be any reunion happening. Distancing themselves from a mediocre product is smart. Ridley is doing it in a smart manner and Boyega just doesn’t care at all. He’s got a production company and is set.

Last edited:

RaptorGTA

Something we all were aware of..but good to hear it coming out from the actors that nothing in this mess was planned.

I just don't know how you spend so much money on this franchise and don't plan out the mainline trilogy. You messed it up more then George Lucas did for the prequels....wth..

I’m just glad it’s all over with and we can move on to something with coherent writing and a quality story line. Maybe Disney will devalue Star Wars so much George could buy it back for pennies on the dollar 🤷🏻‍♂️

PanzerAzel

And somehow you fuck it all up by going "let's just make it up as we go LOL!!!" and hiring JJ abrams.
Pretty much. It’s amazing how they fucked up an assured bet.

DelireMan7

I understand the hate for Jar Jar but I always loved this character. Superior to BB8 for me.

I understand the hate for Jar Jar but I always loved this character. Superior to BB8 for me.
I also think the hate was overblown a lot.
The main problem of the prequel trilogy is that Anakin is an unlikable child and later on teen asshole, not a side character like Jar Jar that's a bit on the silly side.

epicnemesis

Kathleen Kennedy is so shockingly incompetent at her job. If you are going to make a token female executive, at least get a good one.

Reactions: 888
Top Bottom