• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Says Rey's Parentage Changed Several Times

VulcanRaven

Remember before Episode VII, when there was that promo pic of the writers, director, actors etc sitting in a big circle, it looked like they were planning the trilogy and story arc etc.

.... Yeah, they weren't.
They were reading the script not planning.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
That's not how Kathleen Kennedy works. It's hire 3 different directors and make shit up as you go.
I mean the original trilogy all had different directors but they had a cohesive plan

the second they brought palpy back it shit on anakin being the chosen one and his path. It diminishes everything about the originals and prequels

Last edited:

iorek21

This new trilogy is the offspring of bad planning and incompetence, it’s very impressive that anyone, let alone Disney, could make something so shitty (and even disrespectful).

Kennedy should’ve been fired ages ago

Last edited:

Romulus

I actually forgot the palpatine hail Mary toss at the end. What a fucking mess that whole storyline was

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
amazing to see people still blaming "muh toxic fandom" (not ITT necessarily) for this trash trilogy. at this point who to blame is pretty clear.

yWuLbM1.jpg

Kamina

Golden Boy
The Palpatine died and re-appeared the last episode was dumb
I actually forgot the palpatine hail Mary toss at the end. What a fucking mess that whole storyline was
amazing to see people still blaming "muh toxic fandom" (not ITT necessarily) for this trash trilogy. at this point who to blame is pretty clear.

yWuLbM1.jpg
I think the ground idead was good, because we know from the lore that some previous Sith masters were partially successful with exactly that.
However, it was badly executed and cheesy.

Last edited:

notseqi

You guys are spoiling the whole movie for me, which is nice, I won't have to watch it.
I was willing to push through to the end, because man, I do love me a Star War. There is a whole universe to pull cool shit from, just a single year of comics from around 2000 would have helped them out tremendously, but no, they couldn't show enough love for the thing that was going to net them so much money anyways.
I am disappoint, fuck didney.

pxykymY.jpg

Setzer

I mean the original trilogy all had different directors but they had a cohesive plan

the second they brought palpy back it shit on anakin being the chosen one and his path. It diminishes everything about the originals and prequels
Well, that's the key. Lucas had an overarching story he created before filming the original trilogy. So, you can have 3 different directors because at least there's a plan in place. Yeah, I'm sure some changes were made during filming but at least there was a foundation.

Disney didn't have that with this new trilogy. Each director was allowed creative freedom to do what they want and what you ended up with was a cluster fuck......3 movies with absolutely no cohesion whatsoever. They should have just let JJ direct all 3 films because at least there would have been some cohesion, a beginning, middle and end. It may or may not have been good but it would have been much better than what we ended up with.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Well, that's the key. Lucas had an overarching story he created before filming the original trilogy. So, you can have 3 different directors because at least there's a plan in place. Yeah, I'm sure some changes were made during filming but at least there was a foundation.

Disney didn't have that with this new trilogy. Each director was allowed creative freedom to do what they want and what you ended up with was a cluster fuck......3 movies with absolutely no cohesion whatsoever. They should have just let JJ direct all 3 films because at least there would have been some cohesion, a beginning, middle and end. It may or may not have been good but it would have been much better than what we ended up with.
Much like you said though, imm fine with handing off to different directors. Problem is each film feels like its own thing rather than an actual trilogy

mcz117chief

I also think the hate was overblown a lot.
The main problem of the prequel trilogy is that Anakin is an unlikable child and later on teen asshole, not a side character like Jar Jar that's a bit on the silly side.
Anakin was fine in the script but then Lucas changed it at the last minute and replace the 15-18 year old with a 9 year old just so that he could score a point with his little kids. The lines in the movie make a lot more sense when you imagine that Anakin is 17 years old. Hitting on Padmé, being great at everything, being rejected by the Jedi for being too old etc. none of that makes sense if you make him 9. There just isn't enough time for him to develop such insane skills that he has or accumulated so many experiences in pod racing. Did he start racing at 4 or some nonsense?

notseqi

Anakin was fine in the script but then Lucas changed it at the last minute and replace the 15-18 year old with a 9 year old just so that he could score a point with his little kids. The lines in the movie make a lot more sense when you imagine that Anakin is 17 years old. Hitting on Padmé, being great at everything, being rejected by the Jedi for being too old etc. none of that makes sense if you make him 9. There just isn't enough time for him to develop such insane skills that he has or accumulated so many experiences in pod racing. Did he start racing at 4 or some nonsense?
he does have those hydrochlorine thingies, don't forget

notseqi

It doesn't really explain anything. I personally have no problems with midichlorians, they don't really take away anything from the story.
Of course it doesn't and I'm onboard with them watering the plot down trying to flog a ton of merch, but even that trilogy was more fun than whats happening now.

mcz117chief

Of course it doesn't and I'm onboard with them watering the plot down trying to flog a ton of merch, but even that trilogy was more fun than whats happening now.
The prequels, despite their flaws, are incredibly enjoyable to watch. One think I have to give them is the cheesy dialogue which really reminded me of when I was trying to impress girls when I was 15+, like the one about the sand or the ones in Episode 3 I think perfectly capture the teen romance feel.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Meh, I've given up on Star Wars (and Star Trek too for that matter). The well is just too poisoned to care any more. The only sci-fi universe I can be bothered to give a damn about now is 40K, everything else can fuck right off.

sol_bad

From what I understand it seems like there was a plan for this trilogy.
JJ settled on Rey's parents being no one by the time production had finished on Force Awakens. Rian Johnson clenched down on this fact with Last Jedi and Colin Trevorrow's script had Rey's parents killed by Kylo.
Seems like Disney messed with Rise of Skywalker because of all the internet whingers out there.

So in Duel of the Fates, Rey does shoot lightning, but not because she inherited it from grandpappy Palps. Instead, she uses this ability after recognizing the Knights of Ren masks from her memory. During the epic lightsaber fight between Rey and Kylo at the end of the movie, Kylo admits it outright:

My parents didn’t sell me for drinking money. They were hiding me from you.
So you remember.
FLASH TO The Knights of Ren in the rain--the image from Rey’s Force vision when she first touched the lightsaber.
A distant child SCREAMS.
KYLO (CONT'D)
Snoke made his orders clear. Find anyone who could destroy him. It didn’t take us long to find you.
You killed my parents.
You blame me for your life on Jakku. You should thank me for it. You were safe.

Ads by Teads
Say it! Did you kill them?

Durask

Kathleen Kennedy is so shockingly incompetent at her job. If you are going to make a token female executive, at least get a good one.

To be honest, there are many examples of incompetent male executives running their company into the ground and then bailing out with a golden parachute.
It is only fair that women should be given the chance to do the same.

sol_bad

To be honest, there are many examples of incompetent male executives running their company into the ground and then bailing out with a golden parachute.
It is only fair that women should be given the chance to do the same.

The thing I don't get, the "fans" seemingly love to shovel shit all over Kennedy when Last Jedi or Rise of Skywalker are mentioned. But they forget her existence when Mandalorian or Rogue One are mentioned.

Top Bottom