• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Thought Rey’s Parentage Was Revealed in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Kylo is older and after he killed off the jedi academy her parents (Han and Leia) hid her on Jakku so Kylo would not kill her. That is what I am going with.

I think that Kylo is older and after he killed off the jedi academy her parents (Han and Leia) hid her on Jakku so Kylo would not kill her. That is what I am going with.

And then she forgot what her dad looked like? Han forgot the daughter he dropped off on Jakku, where she claimed to find the Falcon, and didn't recognize or make the connection? Leia didn't feel it through the Force? Nor Ren?

No.

Black_Sun

Kenobi makes the most sense based on what we see of Ray on screen.

I also like the idea of Max von Sydow's character being related to that lineage. It would make his exchange with Kylo more than just a ripoff of the Vader/Obi Wan dialogue from ANH.

If really doesn't. Obi Wan is your grandpa doesn't have much weight to it and its convoluted. We'd a lengthy explanation telling us how.

We'd have to establish Obi Wan's love life, his woman, Obi Wan's child who had Rey and that person's marriage partner and then why she was left on Jakku.

It's too much

She's not Obi-Wan's daughter. That makes absolutely no sense.

Nobody thinks she's Obi-Wan's daughter. They think she might be a grand-daughter or a great-niece or something like that.

(why was this thread bumped? I'm not seeing anything new having been brought to light, unless I missed something that simply wasn't linked)

If really doesn't. Obi Wan is your grandpa doesn't have much weight to it and its convoluted. We'd a lengthy explanation telling us how.

No you wouldn't. Why would you need a lengthy explanation? People say this as if audiences couldn't roll with a quick minute-long expositional piece (or force flashback)

You don't need to write a wikipedia entry into your script, or ask an actor to perform it.

He's definitely older. The 2 actors are almost 10 years apart in age. I think its also been confirmed Rey has like 6 when abandoned.

And then she forgot what her dad looked like? Han forgot the daughter he dropped off on Jakku, where she claimed to find the Falcon, and didn't recognize or make the connection? Leia didn't feel it through the Force? Nor Ren?

No.

Lol listen to yourself man. Do you honestly believe that an explanation anything other than she is related to no one makes more sense? How is it any more logical she is Luke's daughter? And if Leia or Ren don't know about her why is she in hiding?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
She's not Luke's daughter. She was well aware she was being abandoned on Jakku. She cried. You think she WOULDN'T remember Luke is her dad? Come on.

She's not Obi-Wan's daughter. That makes absolutely no sense. Same for Han/Leia.

So, in my mind:

A: Palpatine's offspring
B: Snoke's Offspring
C: Anakin reincarnated

Daisy Ridley thought the question was answered in TFA. So none of your options make sense. The most logical option is that she is Luke's daughter, why else would his lightsaber trigger a vision of her abandonment on Jakku? Everything in that vision was related to Luke.

He's definitely older. The 2 actors are almost 10 years apart in age. I think its also been confirmed Rey has like 6 when abandoned.

Lol listen to yourself man. Do you honestly believe that an explanation anything other than she is related to no one makes more sense? How is it any more logical she is Luke's daughter? And if Leia or Ren don't know about her why is she in hiding?

Cool, so Leia, being force-sensitive, didn't sense her niece? Ren didn't sense his cousin? Ok.

Daisy Ridley thought the question was answered in TFA. So none of your options make sense. The most logical option is that she is Luke's daughter, why else would his lightsaber trigger a vision of her abandonment on Jakku? Everything in that vision was related to Luke.

No, it wasn't. Also, Snoke was in TFA, and was suddenly VERY insistent she be brought to him, rather than killed.

Cool, so Leia, being force-sensitive, didn't sense her niece? Ren didn't sense his cousin? Ok.

First all of, you are making great leaps to assume "force sensing someone" is a universal skill like Cerebro where you can just find whoever you want, whenever you want.

Second of all, like I said the most logical thing is she is a nobody.

phanphare

Banned
No you wouldn't. Why would you need a lengthy explanation? People say this as if audiences couldn't roll with a quick minute-long expositional piece (or force flashback)

You don't need to write a wikipedia entry into your script, or ask an actor to perform it.

"you're obi wan's grand something or another"

"what? no I'm not, that doesn't make any sense"

"search your feelings..."

"you know what, come to think of it you're absolutely right"

"you're obi wan's grand something or another"

"what? no I'm not, that doesn't make any sense"

"search your feelings..."

"you know what, come to think of it you're absolutely right"

You put it in a force vision, it's even easier. The one in The Force Awakens spanned decades in less than a minute. Obi-Wan narrating images as they flash by can impart a LOT of information VERY efficiently.

You could probably do it in less than a single paragraph.

No, it wasn't. Also, Snoke was in TFA, and was suddenly VERY insistent she be brought to him, rather than killed.

Why would the man who created the Knights of Ren and went through the trouble of turning Ben Solo abandon his force-sensitive daughter?

First all of, you are making great leaps to assume "force sensing someone" is a universal skill like Cerebro where you can just find whoever you want, whenever you want.

Second of all, like I said the most logical thing is she is a nobody.

It's been shown in the movies that once a character's force sensitivity manifests, they can sense and be sensed by their family. Leia and Luke sense each other. Vader and Luke sense each other. The only weirdness is Vader and Leia.

It was/is obvious to me too, I didn't know people were questioning it?! My only question is who is the mother since Luke is definitely her dad.

Here she comes, it's Mara Jade!

I want her back one way or another, may as well do it that way. She can be dead by TFA, idc, plenty of time between trilogies to involve her in books where she belongs (that's a compliment).

Could make up for the entire issue of nobody remembering what she looks like by having Mara wisk her away as a baby and raised her alone.

I fear that this convoluted linkage of tieing Rey to an Kenobi lineage without propper story telling will force something that I hate very much "back stories"

I hate backstories

It's been shown in the movies that once a character's force sensitivity manifests, they can sense and be sensed by their family. Leia and Luke sense each other. Vader and Luke sense each other. The only weirdness is Vader and Leia.

My interpretation is they can sense people they know very well or had known very well. Kind of like an old friends laugh you'd never forget. But if its someone you barely know or don't know at all you wouldn't be able to sense them/know who they were intuitively.

Either way you slice it,Leia and Kylo didn't say anything to her about being related to her so there are inconsistencies in all the theories except for she is a nobody.

My interpretation is they can sense people they know very well or had known very well. Kind of like an old friends laugh you'd never forget. But if its someone you barely know or don't know at all you wouldn't be able to sense them/know who they were intuitively.

Either way you slice it,Leia and Kylo didn't say anything to her about being related to her so there are inconsistencies in all the theories except for she is a nobody.

The theory about being Obi-Wan's granddaughter doesn't have inconsistencies. The biggest counter to it is, "Nobody ever said anything about Obi-Wan having a kid." Which applies to every other theory as well.

I mean, she could very well be the child of unknown characters ("nobodies") or generally anyone resonable... but at the very least her comment on thinking it was obvious means it's most likely a previous character.

I believe Andy Serkis let slip he was 7ft something tall.

Yeah 7ft is the number I remember too.

The theory about being Obi-Wan's granddaughter doesn't have inconsistencies. The biggest counter to it is, "Nobody ever said anything about Obi-Wan having a kid." Which applies to every other theory as well.

I mean, she could very well be the child of unknown characters ("nobodies") or generally anyone resonable... but at the very least her comment on thinking it was obvious means it's most likely a previous character.

Sure, it might be obvious to her but that doesn't mean she knew the script of the next 2 movies. It's likely she didn't know anything about the future plot as the movies hadn't even started filming and are always subject to change. So her opinion at that time is only marginally more valid than anyone on here.

Pineapple

Why do I get the feeling that the answer to this question isn't going to be explicitly provided in The Last Jedi?

There are so many things that require explanations...

- Who the hell is Snoke?
- What was he doing while the Empire was around? Did he know Vader or the Emperor?
- How powerful is Snoke with the Force?
- When and how did Snoke "notice" and start to manipulate Ben?
- What exactly happened at Luke's Jedi Academy?
- Who are the Knights of Ren? Where are they?
- Who are Rey's parents?
- Why was she abandoned on Jakku?

These are all questions that need answers. In addition, the film actually has to provide us with an actual plot, significant character development for Snoke/Finn/Poe, and has to set us up for the finale with Episode IX.

If anyone could do it, it's Rian Johnson, but honestly, I have a feeling that we're going to be asking many of these same questions for the next 2 years.

It was/is obvious to me too, I didn't know people were questioning it?! My only question is who is the mother since Luke is definitely her dad.

There are people that are quite literally convinced that Obi Wan is her grandfather, and that "all the evidence" points towards that. I mean, that may very well be the case, but it's certainly not obvious, or even implied.

Snoke is single handidly the worst thing of the new trilogy,

I hate everything about this character, from his pefromance capture Actor, his design, his lazy existance

I hate Snoke, worst Star Wars character. Even Jar-Jar has more inherent value than Snoke

Draper

I hate everything about this character, from his pefromance capture Actor, his design, his lazy existance

I hate Snoke, worst Star Wars character. Even Jar-Jar has more inherent value than Snoke

But Snoke is the key to all of this. He's a funnier character than we've had before.

If Rey does turn out to be the reincarnation of Anakin as the earlier leaks suggested then it's going to take some convoluted shit to explain to the audience.

At least it will be a good indication of the franchise jumping the shark and then just writing it off forever.

Sephzilla

Hating on Andy Serkis?

Draper

If Rey does turn out to be the reincarnation of Anakin as the earlier leaks suggested then it's going to take some convoluted shit to explain to the audience.

At least it will be a good indication of the franchise jumping the shark and then just writing it off forever.

You're right. Let's just have Empire and Return again.

I want them to get weird with it. Shit is playing it too safe thus far.

Jag

Why do I get the feeling that the answer to this question isn't going to be explicitly provided in The Last Jedi?

There are so many things that require explanations...

- Who the hell is Snoke?
- What was he doing while the Empire was around? Did he know Vader or the Emperor?
- How powerful is Snoke with the Force?
- When and how did Snoke "notice" and start to manipulate Ben?
- What exactly happened at Luke's Jedi Academy?
- Who are the Knights of Ren? Where are they?
- Who are Rey's parents?
- Why was she abandoned on Jakku?

These are all questions that need answers. In addition, the film actually has to provide us with an actual plot, significant character development for Snoke/Finn/Poe, and has to set us up for the finale with Episode IX.

If anyone could do it, it's Rian Johnson, but honestly, I have a feeling that we're going to be asking many of these same questions for the next 2 years.

There are people that are quite literally convinced that Obi Wan is her grandfather, and that "all the evidence" points towards that. I mean, that may very well be the case, but it's certainly not obvious, or even implied.

If the next film follows the same trajectory of IV-V-VI, then it's the Empire Strikes Back movie which means we should get lots of exposition on what happened in the past and Rey being trained to destroy the First Empire's new, not so secret Super Weapon (Mark II) in the next movie.

She's Han and Leia's daughter. She survived the attack on the temple, but Luke lied and said she had died in the attack and hid her off planet, believing it was the only place she could be safe. He went into exile shortly after, because he couldn't be around them and lie to their faces. After years of living alone he decides it's better off that she doesn't get found, as the Jedi have brought him nothing but pain and suffering.

That's my theory lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom