• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Damn..I really want more games like Quantum Break? [Live Action Episodic Adventure]

The game is still a buggy mess...but I'm really... embarrassing to say...liking the Live action to Gameplay element. It definitely caters to a audience that fits between casual and hardcore where they can't put 20 hours into gaming but can bindge through a episodic story that includes interaction and path choosing.

Durien

One of my favorite games this gen. Got all the achievements. I didn’t have any bugs though.

Is there any connection to it in Control? I’ve been holding off on starting that.
I finished Control at 2:30 this morning. I really liked it and it is one of those games where you plan to go to bed early, start playing it, then the sun is coming up...

Jaxcellent

I can't unsee that hobbit guy, he looks like a complete douche, the gameplay was pretty cool though. I do agree it's a novel idea to have this high quality real life action series alongside the game, but the brutal truth is, It's very flawed, and If a multi million dollar company like Microsoft can't pull it off, I have little hope other companies can.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
It's a neat thing, what they did. I guess The Quiet Man has live-action cutscenes, but...

Surprised to hear you had a buggy experience, I'm not sure I encountered any bugs at all.

Fbh

I thought the idea itself was interesting but the execution was lacking. Didn't really care for the plot in the live action parts, a lot of it felt like unnecessary filler.

While it does add a bit to the story, it almost felt like they were afraid of making the live action section too relevant. Maybe because they knew some people would skip them.

But IMO this concept can only work if they fully commit to it.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I'm such a Remedy fanboy and I thought the game was dog shit. The story just didn't hit at all for me. The TV "show" parts felt so low budget and crummy. That last boss fight was one of the worst boss fights I've EVER played. So glad Remedy let the franchise go. I'd prefer them either go back to Alan Wake or continue what they've done with Control.

ZywyPL

Banned
The problem with those live-action cut-scenes is that they were way to long, and hovered mostly about secondary characters that barely had an appearance in the game, so the were kind of useless and didn't brought anything valuable to the story. But aside that QB is my game of the generation, it ticks all the checkboxes of what I'd like to see in a video game/movie, I just hope MS gives the game a second chance and we will get a sequel that takes off right at that cliffhanger

Trimesh

Banned
I remember this got shit on because it was an Xbone exclusive.

Or maybe it got shit on because it simply wasn't a very good game - sure, the idea was potentially interesting, but I personally got tired of FMV loaded QTE-fests back about the year 2000 - sticking actual scripted episodes into the just created the impression that the developer really wanted to work in TV rather than making games. Maybe they should actually do so...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
God no. The show was bad, pacing ruined and main character had a punchable face

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly
I remember this got shit on because it was an Xbone exclusive.

it did? I have bought the game day one because of the positivity. Game itself was pretty good too (except the final boss) but the damn tv show dragged it down by a great margin

God no. The show was bad, pacing ruined and main character had a punchable face

Very, very punchable

Last edited:

Allandor

Well, I enjoyed the game. It was not the best game of all times, it just was different from the standard action games.
I also loved FMV games in the past. Really a "genre" I miss.

Njocky

Banned
I’m curious to know how it plays on XSX. I never finished the game simply because there’s a bridge I wasn’t able to cross even using the available powers. Never bothered to look up a walkthrough on YouTube but I will on XSX. Enjoyed every minute of it.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I loved it, was a huge fan of the tv show breaks between the game play. Felt like something different in the sea of 3rd person action games. Unlike most gaming media I still enjoy tv shows so I welcomed the breaks in game play.

Also has the best character actor ever Lance Reddick In it.

The game is still a buggy mess...but I'm really... embarrassing to say...liking the Live action to Gameplay element. It definitely caters to a audience that fits between casual and hardcore where they can't put 20 hours into gaming but can bindge through a episodic story that includes interaction and path choosing.

Not really my cup of tea but more power to you.

Andodalf

Banned
I’m glad that a game like QB exists. A single player, linear game, with a direct focus on a continuous narrative. It’s not a character study, but simply a crazy story about what happened in one situation to one guy, which we actually experience linearly from his perspective, with small cuts to other places, and the TV show.

BigLee74

Loved my first playthrough of this. Decent game, and TV episodes not as low budget as I initially feared.

Wouldn't mind a sequel!

Top Bottom