• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Damn wish I would have got to try the Popeye's chicken sandwich

Pallas

Considering how popular it was, I imagine it will return. Might simply be because their supplier couldn’t keep up with the production, and are currently looking for a new supplier(Tyson, Perdue, etc)or we could be looking at another McRib.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
SpongeBon.jpg

kunonabi

I actually had one before the craze started. It was good but I didnt find it super amazing since all the spice is in the mayo. I still say the spicy chicken at Freddie's is the best around.

Teletraan1

Banned
I don't trust Popeyes. I have been there about 5x and received raw chicken twice. On one of the times I didn't get raw chicken the person I was with did. This occurred at multiple locations.

I have been to chick-fil-a 5x and have always gotten excellent food and the service is a step up from any other fast food. My go to order now is a spicy chicken and mac and cheese.

lil puff

I don't trust Popeyes. I have been there about 5x and received raw chicken twice. On one of the times I didn't get raw chicken the person I was with did. This occurred at multiple locations.

I have been to chick-fil-a 5x and have always gotten excellent food and the service is a step up from any other fast food. My go to order now is a spicy chicken and mac and cheese.
A few times I had the Popeyes chicken tenders, and a few of them have this odd rubbery texture, kind of like very thin undercooked noodles. Very off putting, like it wasn't chicken.

You just want to spit it out and go get some other food.

Papa

Banned
What’s so good about Popeyes? We don’t have it here in Aus.

A few times I had the Popeyes chicken tenders, and a few of them have this odd rubbery texture, kind of like very thin undercooked noodles. Very off putting, like it wasn't chicken.

I’m not 100% sure but I think that rubbery texture is from being frozen and defrosted.

lil puff

What’s so good about Popeyes? We don’t have it here in Aus.

I’m not 100% sure but I think that rubbery texture is from being frozen and defrosted.
Good point, I didn't think of that because it was.... so bad. I'd not had that issue anywhere else at any chicken place. I'm starting to think there's some shit going on there worse then the usual fast food places.

Dural

I stopped by a Popeyes to see if they had the sandwich, which of course they didn't, and ended up getting the tenders. They were just as you describe, rubbery. I like Popeyes sides; the Cajun rice, red beans and rice, and biscuits are :messenger_fire:, but the chicken isn't great. Still prefer the breading on KFC original recipe.

dionysus

Yaldog
Popeyes fried chicken has so much crust it is like drinking a cup of oil. Destroys my gut. Crust tastes good but humans are not meant to ingest that much oil at one time.

Time to make my own. 3 Piece and a binoche bun. :messenger_savoring:
Can't say the Popeye's I go to serves oily food, rubbery food or raw food. Knock on wood that continues. Food is only as good as the person cooking it.

Fox Mulder

popeyes blows.

The ones around me never have the stuff their sassy black lady commercials promote. At participating locations is a real thing apparently.

I’ve got two Chick-fil-As by my house so I’m good.

Last edited:

lil puff

Popeyes fried chicken has so much crust it is like drinking a cup of oil. Destroys my gut. Crust tastes good but humans are not meant to ingest that much oil at one time.
It's also often too salty. I once had to throw a meal away, too much.

Like said above, it does depend on particular person making it. Once at McDs I saw the girl at the fries station just dumping salt on them. I told her to redo it.

She's one of those people that just dump salt before even tasting.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Briefly heard of this. Tbh surprised they didn’t just sell one usually. Chicken sandwiches are a dime a dozen at fast food places. This whole thing felt like viral marketing combined w woke racism

Last edited:

manfestival

I just heard about this today wtf is so good about this sandwich?

It is the fact that people were comparing it to Chick Fil A. That is how the craze began. There is apparently power in people saying your product could compare to what Chick fil a has. Apparently it has been debunked but said to be a pretty decent sandwich. Basically a solid 2nd place in the fast food chicken sandwich world.
I haven't had it but that is what I have taken from this whole ordeal.

black_13

Banned
haha that video was hilarious. His laughter is contagious. We don't have Chick-fil-A in Canada but we got popeyes last year and their chicken is my favorite for sure.

brap

Banned
Popeye? For chicken? You couldn't pay me to eat that shit. I have a broasted chicken place near me that serves actual food. That won't have a person with an 8th grade education "cooking" it.
It's probably too spicy for you anyway. Eat your nasty ass broasted chicken.

Dural

haha that video was hilarious. His laughter is contagious. We don't have Chick-fil-A in Canada but we got popeyes last year and their chicken is my favorite for sure.

Ya you do, just opened a week ago.

Last edited:

PSYGN

I legit almost made a thread about it like 4 months ago it was that good. My girlfriend and I got it because everything else on the Popeyes menu was so damn pricey, so imagine us not expecting anything special and getting hit with something so damn tasty you're questioning why no one else has mentioned it. I looked it up on YouTube and not one of the popular food YouTubers reviewed it at that time. I had gotten my coworkers to try it a few weeks later and disclaimed that I might just have gotten lucky with mine... nope... it was thick, cripsy and juicy just like it was last time. They were believers after that. I'm glad that Popeyes have gotten the recognition they deserver for their sandwich but sad that it's out now.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Is this the Chicken French Quarter? I tried it at the local Popeye's Branch.

popeyes-ph-may-16-2019-010.jpg

Honestly? It was kind of bland. I'd rather eat a McChicken than this thing again.

Doom85

I find it hilarious that this basically became a craze because somebody at Chick-Fil-A felt threatened by a new chicken sandwich, just couldn't resist throwing a tweet (IIRC) out about it, and thus a meme war erupted causing the Popeye's sandwich's exposure to skyrocket. Popeye's is laughing their asses off, they just made millions and got free advertising due to one Chick-Fil-A employee's fuck up. What a world we live in.

Last edited:

lil puff

I'm starting to think these "limited time only" fast food items are genius.

They get hype and free advertising.
They sell other items.
Name stays familiar.
They can plan the Comeback.
Rinse and repeat.

If it were permanent, no one would care. Like "oh one day, I'll try that"
Since it's temporary, folks literally will shoot the place up for it to get it NOW, increasing curiosity and desire.

Pagusas

Elden Member
What’s crazier to me is people claiming Chick-fil-A has some god like sand which. There is nothing special or particular good or bad about it, it’s just an ordinary fast food chicken sandwich.

are you out of your goddamn mind

For real. Their sandwiches are fucking awesome, but I do like Wendy’s quite a bit. Have any of you tried the grilled chicken nuggets from Chick-Fil-A? Now THOSE are Godly. As for Popeye’s, I live in WV, so we have no Popeye’s around here. I ate there once when I was visiting South Carolina and wasn’t particularly impressed.

Doom85

I'm starting to think these "limited time only" fast food items are genius.

Pretty much how Nintendo handled the NES/SNES Classic systems.

Nintendo: Here's a mini version of our classic consoles with about 20 games!
Average consumer: Well, that's cool, I might get one eventually-
Nintendo: Now, our stock is somewhat limited-
Average consumer: Oh, shit! (instantly begins trying to get one)

And then boom, the Classic systems began selling out like crazy. Granted, I don't know if Nintendo ever initially mentioned how much stock there would be, but they definitely pulled the whole "offer only a few at first to increase demand" tactic and plenty of people fell for it.

So this was supposed to come back today. My local Popeyes said theirs was delayed until tomorrow. I went today and man I felt bad for the employees. So many rude and angry people. And so busy. They aren’t designed for that kind of busy.

Supposedly it’s a permanent menu item now. Wonder how long the fad will last now?

I came around on the sandwich. It blows CFA away.

TacosNSalsa

I'm at my moms and the two within reasonable distance had it according to their website for delivery . I guess tomorrow I'll go see if I can get it but if they don't at least they still have their VooDoo chicken tenders box ...pretty good for $6

finowns

I went last week and they didn't have the sandwich. I want to taste this thing. Had to buy their over priced wet fried chicken.

Last edited:
Top Bottom