• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dana White: Floyd vs McGregor deal closing in coming days. Floyd $100 mil , Conor $75

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for Conor if it gets done. I just hope he still does a couple of real fights in the ufc after this.

I think 3/4 for McGregor is fair, feels like he is the bigger draw outside of the US. I never heard of Floyd before the Manny fight fwiw.

Haha, might wanna check your math there, bud. Dana's numbers put Conor at ~40% or less.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
But the fact that kicking is allowed in MMA pretty much seals Floyd's fate. He would take a couple leg kicks and the fight would be over. MMA still has rules, sure, but it's still MUCH a closer to a real fight than a boxing match.

Most real fights end up looking like two drunk dudes trying to hug each other instead of a MMA match in my anecdotal evidence.

Artdayne

But the fact that kicking is allowed in MMA pretty much seals Floyd's fate. He would take a couple leg kicks and the fight would be over. MMA still has rules, sure, but it's still MUCH a closer to a real fight than a boxing match.

The bigger threat would be taking the fight to the ground. Conor isn't a great ground fighter but he'd destroy Floyd if it went to the ground. All the tricks with Floyd's stance and slipping hits are adapted specifically for punching, it would get taken apart against a trained professional who throws knees, elbows, kicks, has a ground game.

The fight will be a farce that's for sure. It's not legit, and I kinda feel like they're getting free money.

It's just business, the fight isn't real. It's a marketing show, and maybe we'll get sprinkled with some fighter pride.

commedieu

Banned
The bigger threat would be taking the fight to the ground. Conor isn't a great ground fighter but he'd destroy Floyd if it went to the ground. All the tricks with Floyd's stance and slipping hits are adapted specifically for punching, it would get taken apart against a trained professional who throws knees, elbows, kicks, has a ground game.

yeah. and the somewhat reverse can be said for connor in a boxing ring. probably 75% of his tricks and kicks are going to be sidelined for just straight up tactical boxing against one of boxings greatest fighters. Longer rounds. Which may be ok because as said earlier, he wont have to wrestle and kick. That takes a lot out of you.

If connor gives floyd any pressure, we will see block button floyd. Hes pretty good at that too. I just hope floyd shows up. It will be interesting to see how connor does.

Vice

Ok? Are these fights being had by professionals or just two guys with beer muscles? Pretty big difference
A real fight as in two regular guys. If it's two professionals then boxing fights look just as real as MMA, which doesn't look like a real fight.

HStallion

Ok? Are these fights being had by professionals or just two guys with beer muscles? Pretty big difference

I was being a little facetious but I've never seen a fight in real life that looked anything like a sporting match between two professionals.

IrishNinja

was i wrong, though? you've admitted his style isn't to your liking but is superior to the best fighters that were thrown at him - you may be right that he lacks the power he had, but given said style, even if he didh't why would he go for kill shots when - like you said - he can play it far safer & win?

I remember all my buddies were on about how Rousey could have beaten Muhammad Ali in his prime.

...i hope y'all were high as fuck, haha

NandoGip

Obviously I'm going to watch this, but it's going to be a joke. It's going to be borderline WWE with Floyd pretending to take Connor serious, and Connor showing the world how weak his skills are.

A lot of people seem to think it would be 12 rds of Floyd hitting and running. But Connor won't even last the entire fight. He'll get KO'd or TKO'd by Floyd's "pillow" fists. People are going to be shocked by the disparity between a champion MMA fighter with zero professional boxing experience and arguably the greatest pound-4-pound pugilist of all-time.

Connor is gonna get ROOKED. TAKE THAT FOR DATA!

Maoyama

Banned
I have no idea how people think Conor is gonna last the whole fight against Floyd, it just absolutely baffles me. He has so much trouble lasting 5x5 rounds in MMA and usually shows signs of gassing at the 10 minute mark. Now add the heavier gloves and having to move so much more to avoid getting roped in.

Having square corners vs wide ones means he will need to move SO MUCH more to come after and not get cornered by Mayweather. Missing all the punches he will miss means he will get so much more tired.

I mean, just look at his videos sparring mid-level boxers. He tries that same feint to pull-back left counter. You see why he catches people all the time in MMA? They extend their head over their bodies chasing after him. You see what happens when he tries it against boxers? They come in double-jabbing, with their head and weight squarely over ther feet and Conors feint and hit is useless.

Dont get me wrong, Conor is my favorite MMA fighter in a while and he has headlined the only MMA events I have ever gone to see live. He has brought true innovation and fresh skills into the fighting game. But boxing and MMA are not cut from the same cloth, and in the boxing world he is not even a rookie.

I find it truly hard to believe Conor cares that much of actually winning the fight .

Dude seems to be raging these days and puts out these half ass clips of him "training" to sell wolf tickets.

Boxing Match: Floyd wins
MMA: Conor wins

Either way: Conor wins because this is the biggest paycheck he'll ever fucking see and he can be done after this

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
60 40 is the same as May vs Pac, so it's not like it can't happen. Floyd has a lot more to lose with this fight than Conor. Conor, it's the biggest payday of his life, but for Floyd it's also making sure to protect his legacy.

Rival

Gold Member
Imagine if somehow Conor gets a lucky shot in and knocks him out. No way I'm spending the $100 this will cost on PPV though. I'd be really surprised if Floyd agrees to that split though.

Madness

Conor doesn't even have a punchers chance... you guys have watched too much Rocky. I love Conor McGregor, I just purchased his Doubt Me Now shirt from represent.com, but this is Floyd Mayweather Jr. Perhaps the greatest boxer of all time. Did none of you see him box before he was super famous. His defense is unparalleled. World class boxers like even Pacquiao couldn't touch him.

He will destroy Conor in 2 rounds, the first just solely to keep hype built. Conor will not see his punches coming, and Floyd will be facing an amateur boxer for the first time in maybe 25 years. I am ashamed for anyone who thinks Conor will have a chance. You should be taking bets on whether Conor gets TKO'ed, KO'ed, or even concussions and brain hemorraghing. This is boxing, the sweet science, someone of Floyd's caliber will not be touched. I would willingly take a tag bet of 'I am the dumbest fuck on GAF and don't know shit' if Floyd loses this. Floyd doesn't even need to give Conor this big a payday. It is a loud mouth versus a disciplined boxer. And when Conor loses he will say I took a risk, thanks for the cheese, I made 75 milli, I ain't scared of no man, props to Floyd and move on. He knows he will lose this.

Chumley

Banned
Conor doesn't even have a punchers chance... you guys have watched too much Rocky. I love Conor McGregor, I just purchased his Doubt Me Now shirt from represent.com, but this is Floyd Mayweather Jr. Perhaps the greatest boxer of all time. Did none of you see him box before he was super famous. His defense is unparalleled. World class boxers like even Pacquiao couldn't touch him.

He will destroy Conor in 2 rounds, the first just solely to keep hype built. Conor will not see his punches coming, and Floyd will be facing an amateur boxer for the first time in maybe 25 years. I am ashamed for anyone who thinks Conor will have a chance. You should be taking bets on whether Conor gets TKO'ed, KO'ed, or even concussions and brain hemorraghing. This is boxing, the sweet science, someone of Floyd's caliber will not be touched. I would willingly take a tag bet of 'I am the dumbest fuck on GAF and don't know shit' if Floyd loses this. Floyd doesn't even need to give Conor this big a payday. It is a loud mouth versus a disciplined boxer. And when Conor loses he will say I took a risk, thanks for the cheese, I made 75 milli, I ain't scared of no man, props to Floyd and move on. He knows he will lose this.

Fucking stop with hyperbole like this. "I'm ashamed for anyone who thinks he has a chance"

Posts like yours have been made thousands of times. It's not new. Let people have their own opinions on this shit and give the grandstanding a rest.

Because Floyd Mayweather is a living, breathing sack of shit excuse for a human being and I have a natural gag reflex to anyone who capes for him. Some people are willing to let his domestic violence slide or be ignored because he's a great boxer, I'm not.

HStallion

Someone post a gif of Connor boxing

e7b2fd91efa0bf3407dbf3ecab33031c.jpg

Moze

Banned
So I just watched some footage of Connor boxing. Yikes. Had the bag up on points by the end of the video.

Not going to go well.

What are the chances of Connor accidently kicking Floyd?

Why are people saying on sherdog dana gets a cut of conors 75m? That true lol?

So I just watched some footage of Connor boxing. Yikes. Had the bag up on points by the end of the video.

Not going to go well.

What are the chances of Connor accidently kicking Floyd?

747.gif

Fucking stop with hyperbole like this. "I'm ashamed for anyone who thinks he has a chance"

Posts like yours have been made thousands of times. It's not new. Let people have their own opinions on this shit and give the grandstanding a rest.

Because Floyd Mayweather is a living, breathing sack of shit excuse for a human being and I have a natural gag reflex to anyone who capes for him. Some people are willing to let his domestic violence slide or be ignored because he's a great boxer, I'm not.

None of which has anything to do with his boxing skills or how well someone not good enough to be one of his sparring partners will do against him in a boxing match.

Chumley

Banned
None of which has anything to do with his boxing skills or how well someone not good enough to be one of his sparring partners will do against him in a boxing match.

I'm really getting tired of people telling me I have to separate his boxing from his actions. To me, it's one in the same. He became rich and famous for his ability to hit men, and he used that fame as justification to hit women. You're entitled to separate the two, I choose not to, deal with it. Just like how I'd never tell anyone they have to appreciate Roman Polanski's films. It's their choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom