Dane Cook was a fucking great comedian before he became super mainstream

Nov 13, 2013
I know the dude is hated by a lot of people, but up until like 2006-2008ish Dane Cook was a great comedian. Some of his material is absolutely freaking hilarious. And he was kinda unique in the way that he'd physically use his body and mannerisms to act out a lot of his stuff. Once he got mainstream, yeah, his material went down hill, but I'm looking forward to his new stuff because I think the guy is immensely talented. I want to see what he has left and which direction his career is headed now.

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Yes he was pretty unfairly shit on by most people I think, not sure exactly why. Just over exposure I guess? I know there were a lot of comedians bitter about his explosive rise to fame.

I always found him to be a great performer. Even if his material didn't always click with me, he was fun to listen to and watch. The In the Round special he did though was a bit obnoxious. Like performing comedy in the center of a circular arena? It just doesn't make sense, he's constantly rotating and people aren't going to be able to see his performance. Plus, that was like peak DC I think and the crowd at that show was the most obnoxious I've ever heard a crowd be. They would cheer at absolutely everything.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019
  • LMJ

LMJ

I think one of the reasons why he was supposedly hated was in typical Hollywood fashion he was at the hot thing for a while so they over saturated the market with movies featuring him...

I enjoyed him in Waiting, but his role could have been played by anyone