• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dane Cook was a fucking great comedian before he became super mainstream

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I know the dude is hated by a lot of people, but up until like 2006-2008ish Dane Cook was a great comedian. Some of his material is absolutely freaking hilarious. And he was kinda unique in the way that he'd physically use his body and mannerisms to act out a lot of his stuff. Once he got mainstream, yeah, his material went down hill, but I'm looking forward to his new stuff because I think the guy is immensely talented. I want to see what he has left and which direction his career is headed now.

I actually liked his stand up. Even after he stole a joke and his career was tanked or whatever it was. I never got the hate.

He wasn't great, but I'd go to his show for sure.

I never fully understood why he became so hated. He was on top of the world for awhile. I honestly know very little about the full story or whatever happened

Uhtred

I saw him at the Laugh factory in Hollywood CA, before anyone knew who he was, and he was very funny.

Nymphae

Banned
Yes he was pretty unfairly shit on by most people I think, not sure exactly why. Just over exposure I guess? I know there were a lot of comedians bitter about his explosive rise to fame.

I always found him to be a great performer. Even if his material didn't always click with me, he was fun to listen to and watch. The In the Round special he did though was a bit obnoxious. Like performing comedy in the center of a circular arena? It just doesn't make sense, he's constantly rotating and people aren't going to be able to see his performance. Plus, that was like peak DC I think and the crowd at that show was the most obnoxious I've ever heard a crowd be. They would cheer at absolutely everything.

Last edited:
There's no reason to hate him, although I don't think he's all that hated to begin with. He's still super popular with a lot of people, it's probably his internet presence that garners all of the hate.

LMJ

I think one of the reasons why he was supposedly hated was in typical Hollywood fashion he was at the hot thing for a while so they over saturated the market with movies featuring him...

I enjoyed him in Waiting, but his role could have been played by anyone

Top Bottom