• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dangan Ronpa (Super High School Level) English Translation Patch Released (PSP)

Since there seems to be some kind of feud between fans of Something Awful LP and group behind the new translation - can someone who actually knows Japanese (I say this because I saw an obnoxious guy who trashed the second group without knowing the original elsewhere) say if there are any drastic differences between these two translations when it comes to quality?

udllpn

For those of you that asked about the compatibility with PPSSPP, take a look at this thread.

Apparently there are some things to be solved, but it could become fully playable soon. Right now there is no possible way to go any further than the investigation tutorial.

Jamix012

For those of you that asked about the compatibility with PPSSPP, take a look at this thread.

Apparently there are some things to be solved, but it could become fully playable soon. Right now there is no possible way to go any further than the investigation tutorial.

The PPSSPP thread just said it updated to 0.8, and the one you linked is running on 0.6.1, do we have any idea if it works now?

Ultratech

I know this is super popular, but is it LIFE CHANGING like 999?

Probably wouldn't say it's THAT life-changing, but it's still a really good game.

Has some rocking music and some crazy plot twists.

This is going to sound rude, but... this has traditional gameplay in it? It's not just mashing X through slow-scrolling verbose text boxes to get to the occasional choice? If so, what kind of stuff is there?

As mentioned, there's the whole exploration segments and whatnot.

For the Class Trials, there's a few minigames of sorts.

-The main one has you using Evidence Bullets you've acquired from evidence you found to point out contradictions said by other people. Starts out pretty easy enough, but gets pretty hard due to "white noise" and the shaky reticule.

-Flashing Anagram: Usually used to point out some major piece of evidence or a major clue. Just like you figured, you're basically trying to put a word together.

-Machine Gun Talk Battle: Typically reserved for a major confrontation (typically the culprit), it's basically a high-speed rhythm game.

-Climax Inference: The final minigame of every case. It's sort of a fill-in-the-blank thing where you fill in spots in a manga-style retelling of the events leading up to the murder (and revealing the true culprit).
(As a personal note, I love the music in this segment.)

Fodder76

I'm normally pretty up on the J-game situation, but this one seems to have flown under my radar. However, I'm super interested based on what I see in this thread. I have two questions.

1) I've recently sold my PSP and only have a Vita now. Is there any way to download this from J-PSN and apply the patch on my Vita?

2) This game was released in Japan 3 years ago. How realistic is it at this point that this will be picked up and localized in the US? Is it a lot of wishful thinking, or does this on have a real chance?

Thanks!

I'm normally pretty up on the J-game situation, but this one seems to have flown under my radar. However, I'm super interested based on what I see in this thread. I have two questions.

1) I've recently sold my PSP and only have a Vita now. Is there any way to download this from J-PSN and apply the patch on my Vita?

2) This game was released in Japan 3 years ago. How realistic is it at this point that this will be picked up and localized in the US? Is it a lot of wishful thinking, or does this on have a real chance?

Thanks!

1)I don't have a Vita so I wouldn't know.

2)A Vita compilation of the two games was just announced, so it's not entirely out of the question.

NotLiquid

Thanks!

To answer your second question; the new Vita collection has a chance but it'd be very, very hard work. This is the kind of game where a clean-cut text translation isn't enough. Due to the dynamic nature of the trials and the game play which involves a lot of scrolling text that you have to shoot there's going to have to be a lot of hitboxes to redo in order to work with all the mechanics. There's also the fact that the game has a ton of cultural references that need to be rewritten, as well as the names and honorifics since a lot of them end up actually meaning things.

I think XSEED once expressed interest in localizing it but this is the kind of game where a full on localization would require tons of work, and considering how niche it is, it's doubtful that anyone would put effort into it. It's a one-of-a-kind game that way.

t26

To answer your second question; the new Vita collection has a chance but it'd be very, very hard work. This is the kind of game where a clean-cut text translation isn't enough. Due to the dynamic nature of the trials and the game play which involves a lot of scrolling text that you have to shoot there's going to have to be a lot of hitboxes to redo in order to work with all the mechanics. There's also the fact that the game has a ton of cultural references that need to be rewritten, as well as the names and honorifics since a lot of them end up actually meaning things.

I think XSEED once expressed interest in localizing it but this is the kind of game where a full on localization would require tons of work, and considering how niche it is, it's doubtful that anyone would put effort into it. It's a one-of-a-kind game that way.

But having a fan translation improved the chance of a official localization right? As Xseed did pay for fan translation to use as based on official release of Ys games.

Yasumi

Banned
How much is this game usually? Asking Japanese street prices, not ebay or some other inflated BS.

I got my copy from AmiAmi when it was still in stock for 2460 yen. They have the best prices, but they rarely restock after something's sold out.

Play-Asia has it for $34.99, $31.99 at YesAsia, and CDJapan has it for $28.60. I'd go for CDJapan.

Fodder76

Thanks for the info. Since going after the fan translation likely means re-acquiring a PSP, just wanted to check on the likelyhood of a US release.

I tend to have bad luck... as soon as I finally decide to import something, its announced for localization. So some of you may be rooting for me to do so.

Diebuster

Anyone have tips for MTB? I passed it in the first case just barely (after failing once), and I still don't feel like I understand what it is I'm supposed to do, or how.

Midou

I'm part way into first trial but had to stop for now. Feels quite great. There seems to be some things oddly similar to Virtue's Last Reward (though I'm aware this game came out before VLR) which is a bit jarring (like the comical bear instead of rabbit, feel a lot of overlap) but characters seem to have more interesting personalities than VLR at least.

I like the moving around areas, feels like it was what 999 and VLR were lacking. Trial felt a bit gimmicky at first with the aiming but I get the idea, supposed to be intense I guess.

To some people, including myself, it is. Storytelling at its finest.

To anyone who played Ever17 before 999 (or at the very least, myself), it is familiar to a fault, comically so. Though I thought Ever17 told a much better story and had more mindfuckish twists. Plus it didn't make me re-do lots of tedious puzzles everytime I went to another path.

Only problem is going to Ever17 after 999 will then become a similar situation where it feels inversely familliar and the full impact of it's superiority might be lost. :p

I'm part way into first trial but had to stop for now. Feels quite great. There seems to be some things oddly similar to Virtue's Last Reward (though I'm aware this game came out before VLR) which is a bit jarring (like the comical bear instead of rabbit, feel a lot of overlap) but characters seem to have more interesting personalities than VLR at least.

Yeah, while reading the Let's Play I also got the feeling that those two were pretty similar in a couple of areas.

Labrys

The patch is glorious.
I'm going in blind, but it reads and looks like an official release. From where I am, not one thing has been neglected. Now I understand why the patch took so long.

The patch is glorious.
I'm going in blind, but it reads and looks like an official release. From where I am, not one thing has been neglected. Now I understand why the patch took so long.

I'm only in chapter one, but I agree. They've definitely seem to have done a good job editing images.

The PPSSPP thread just said it updated to 0.8, and the one you linked is running on 0.6.1, do we have any idea if it works now?

It does not.

I've retested the game myself on 0.8

Head a bit more downwards. The quick update by the user was mine in that same thread.

Taruranto

Ch1 culprit was very obvious, but i guess it was more of a tutorial than anything.

For now it feels like a weird mix of Doubt and Phoenix Wright.

It would be amazing if one day one of these fan translations became an officially sanctioned patch and the patched version was sold in NA digitally. I'm sure the fans wouldn't mind receiving a one time check for their efforts.

Midou

Ch1 culprit was very obvious, but i guess it was more of a tutorial than anything.

Yeah it was pretty obvious but the events leading up to it were interesting and less obvious, at least for me.

I'm not sure how linear or multi-path this game is. I mean the free time is basically the only time you can pick what to do. I wonder then if events can turn out differently or if
different people can commit murders instead?
I imagine it's more linear than that though.

Jamix012

It does not.

I've retested the game myself on 0.8

Head a bit more downwards. The quick update by the user was mine in that same thread.

Ah, apologies. Well that's a shame. I'm going to hold out till Aksys' July 6th "Crazy Announcement" before I decide to dip on this or not. Hopefully the announcement is a localisation.

uguus

Neo Member
Aww yiss. I loved the lp of this game, hopefully I'll pick it up for myself now 8))
BRING ON THE JUNKOS

Ultratech

Yeah it was pretty obvious but the events leading up to it were interesting and less obvious, at least for me.

I'm not sure how linear or multi-path this game is. I mean the free time is basically the only time you can pick what to do. I wonder then if events can turn out differently or if
different people can commit murders instead?
I imagine it's more linear than that though.

It's pretty linear for the most part.

The later culprits can be pretty tricky to figure out, but there's usually a clue or something that's not inherently obvious that will hone you in the right direction.
This makes me wonder how they handled one of the cases, since a major clue is based on language/tone.

Oh cool, I've been seeing pictures of this around but never knew it was a PSP game.

Always wanted something like Phoenix Wright on my PSP so I'll definitely check this out.

It's pretty linear for the most part.

The later culprits can be pretty tricky to figure out, but there's usually a clue or something that's not inherently obvious that will hone you in the right direction.
This makes me wonder how they handled one of the cases, since a major clue is based on language/tone.

Mondo refering to Chihiro?

Taruranto

Chapter 2 investigation spoiler.

Ah, split personality. I immediately thought of that after the scene where she locks herself in the room.
Though it's probably more complex than it.

Labrys

Chapter 2 investigation spoiler.

Ah, split personality. I immediately thought of that after the scene where she locks herself in the room.
Though it's probably more complex than it.

May want to tag that,
[/ spoiler]
disregard, early edit
Regarding that,
I saw it coming with all the "promise" talk. To be honest, I like Touka as Shou better than her usual personality. Much more... fun.

NotLiquid

It's actually one of those giveaways that made a lot more sense in its original Japanese form. It made things less obvious for the audience it catered to. Everything passed that chapter is usually less obvious and more twist-y even without the language barrier though.

Midou

I'm up to Chapter 4, one thing I'm curious about for anyone who has beat it or knows:

1) Is there anything you miss by going to lower difficulties? I'm on Gentle, but a lot of the trial stuff seems kind of gimmicky and I care more about the actual investigation, presenting evidence, etc, so if I play again or whatever I'd like to lower it. Which brings me to question 2:

2) Are there any multiple paths or does the choice of who you hang out with in free time and if you give them enough presents/raise their friendship level ever change the story, or is it just for skills in trials? Spoiler tags might be a good idea depending on the answer. :p

edit: and maybe 3) does using the 'search room' button that shows you interaction points effect anything in the story(like worse ending for using too much?)? Plenty of times I hit it by accident when I want to bring up the menu or map.

Atolm

So I've been playing this for a bit and I'll say I'm impressed. It's one of the most unique and well done niche Japanese games I've seen in a while. It's bizarre, grotesque, but in such a unique and fresh way...They MUST bring the Vita ports, this could be a cult hit if done right.

Midou

No to all 3 afaik.

I thought so, the game seems to play more like phoenix wright than say 999, which I am fine with. It's nice not having to worry about picking the wrong thing or getting the best ending, but I guess I'll find out for myself eventually. :p

Finally got around playing it, and there's something that really impressed me is how well it's adapted. I mean, I was expecting some fansub-level adaptation, and instead I got something that could easily pass for a professionnal-level adaptation. Kudos to the team that did this
Get on with the sequel or better, FF Type 0 pls

I only played a couple of hours, and it's basically Ace Attorney + Persona + Virtue's Last Reward. It's funny because it's a composite of these games but happen to get things really right, and the whole experience is neatly done. Also I really like how it is graphically-speaking.

Top Bottom