• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So I just heard that DR2 in the US has one less trophy compared to the JPN version. Any word on what the trophy was and why it was removed?

Lusankya

So I just heard that DR2 in the US has one less trophy compared to the JPN version. Any word on what the trophy was and why it was removed?

Actually the Japanese version only has 45 trophies (for both games combined!), while EU/US DR 2 has 47 trophies. So it's the other way around and the Japanese version is missing a lot of the international trophies.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/dangan-ronpa-reload/guide/
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/danganronpa-trigger-happy-havoc-na-eu/trophies/
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/dangan-ronpa-2/trophies/

FluxWaveZ

So following up the previous Dengeki PlayStation or Famitsu interviews, there's another (or the same?) comment concerning the future of the DR series via Gematsu:

Yoshinori Terasawa (Spike Chunsoft):
I think we’ll be able to announce future developments of the Danganronpa series somewhere in 2015. Also, we’re working in cooperation with a variety of companies and people to create new IPs.
So definitely, probably, a new DR game announcement next year. Wonder if the cooperation with a variety of companies includes the one they have with Atlus, or if it's for completely new IPs.

PK Gaming

So following up the previous Dengeki PlayStation or Famitsu interviews, there's another (or the same?) comment concerning the future of the DR series via Gematsu:

Yoshinori Terasawa (Spike Chunsoft):

So definitely, probably, a new DR game announcement next year. Wonder if the cooperation with a variety of companies includes the one they have with Atlus, or if it's for completely new IPs.

Persona x DanganRonpa, let's get it

Danganronpa Ultimate Chrono Phantasma Climax Suplex Xrd -Despair-
Danganronpa Q_Q
Danganronpa Musou
Danganronpa Doki Doki High School Love
Danganronpa Momokuma Hunter

-Horizon-

On chapter 4 now.
Saw Sakura fighting Monokuma and stuff

About the chapter 3 case:
Celeste
Pro:
I like her character design and I like her voice (both the Celeste and Taeko versions)
Con:
she's a terrible person

FluxWaveZ

Also from the same Gematsu translation article is main Danganronpa series writer (believe he's responsible for DR1, DR2, DR:AE and DR/Zero):

Kazutaka Kodaka (Spike Chunsoft):
As you might expect, I’m hard at work on that series. Other than that, I’ve got my hands a little in a bunch of other projects.

If it wasn't enough of a confirmation that they're working on DR3 without a confirmation that they're working on DR3. Reminds me of following the years of Persona 5 development hints before its actual announcement, in that way.

If I were to honestly guess at what they've got going on, since it's stated that they've got more than one DR announcement planned for 2015, I'd go: Danganronpa 3 and... a Danganronpa 2 anime? I don't know if this series is actually to the point yet where it could actually have a developer collaboration title, or even two (non-mobile) DR games announced within the same year.

so uh

what's the justification for having the students fucking bouncing off the walls slamming into shit

like i can buy the truth bullets but this is a bit silly

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So when's the sequel, Goodbye Unlimited Despair? Also why am I laughing harder than I should at the fact they're just bouncing around, beating those enemies from the Usami mini-game.

-Horizon-

Finished chapter/case 5 I think
I'm in the garbage place with Kiyoko

Wow, the investigation music this time was great with the guitar.

Chapter 4 made me sad with
Sakura sacrificing herself for the rest of them :( and then Alter Ego even got crushed wow.

Chapter 5, well, when I got to the
part of the trial where I had to either pursue Kiyoko's lie or drop it, I chose the former first. No idea why. Just thought, hey, she said to take the risk. And that seemed like the riskiest one. Then I completely forgot that she had that super unlocking thing. Whoops. Sorry for turning you into a pancake Kiyoko :(
Glad they force you back into the choice scene again.
And whoa, that look into the future with Byakuya, Hiro, Makoto, and Aoi was both funny (because Toko was somehow dead) and terrifying because of all the babies they made :x

Delstius

Chapter 5, well, when I got to the
part of the trial where I had to either pursue Kiyoko's lie or drop it, I chose the former first. No idea why. Just thought, hey, she said to take the risk. And that seemed like the riskiest one. Then I completely forgot that she had that super unlocking thing. Whoops. Sorry for turning you into a pancake Kiyoko :(
Glad they force you back into the choice scene again.
And whoa, that look into the future with Byakuya, Hiro, Makoto, and Aoi was both funny (because Toko was somehow dead) and terrifying because of all the babies they made :x

I loved that part.
I willfully took this choice for fun, not expecting anything beside the usual "you can't say that, choose the other option" but I was surprised by what happen. I wonder how Toko managed to die in this case though.

-Horizon-

Finished case/chapter 6 and the game I guess though I'm starting that school life mode that came up now.

My thoughts: Wow, this was good. Really good. Though I have to say some of the minigames for the trials were kind of hard to get through. I'm probably just dumb though but I found some of the comics you have to put together for recreating the case was kind of difficult for some panels.
And the rhythm ones are just hard to get by. I failed so many times throughout because I couldn't get the rhythm right.
Man, trial 6 was so intense
for the next to last part, wherever Makoto had to give "hope" to the others was just edge of my seat inducing because I had less than half a heart left and just going through it without taking a shot made me lose a heart which made me get in that predicament in the first place lol
And Junko, you're just psycho. Beyond Jill. When she was taking those punishments, yeesh.
And of course Monokuma isn't dead.

I loved that part.
I willfully took this choice for fun, not expecting anything beside the usual "you can't say that, choose the other option" but I was surprised by what happen. I wonder how Toko managed to die in this case though.

Byakuya probably got annoyed and told her to stop breathing lol.

Finished case/chapter 6 and the game I guess though I'm starting that school life mode that came up now.

My thoughts: Wow, this was good. Really good. Though I have to say some of the minigames for the trials were kind of hard to get through. I'm probably just dumb though but I found some of the comics you have to put together for recreating the case was kind of difficult for some panels.
And the rhythm ones are just hard to get by. I failed so many times throughout because I couldn't get the rhythm right.
Man, trial 6 was so intense
for the next to last part, wherever Makoto had to give "hope" to the others was just edge of my seat inducing because I had less than half a heart left and just going through it without taking a shot made me lose a heart which made me get in that predicament in the first place lol
And Junko, you're just psycho. Beyond Jill. When she was taking those punishments, yeesh.
And of course Monokuma isn't dead.

Don't worry. Most of the Mini games were improved upon in Danganronpa 2.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Question about school mode: does anything carry over from one playthrough to the next?
Just the endings you've gotten & the items when seeing said endings & the levels your characters are at for searching & cleaning, but that's it. Items don't carry over.

-Horizon-

Just the endings you've gotten & the items when seeing said endings & the levels your characters are at for searching & cleaning, but that's it. Items don't carry over.

Nice, nice. Guess my first run through will be to just level up the characters.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Nice, nice. Guess my first run through will be to just level up the characters.
Yeah, for the most part, have your first playthrough of the mode to get your characters leveled up. You will pretty much have no chance of building everything your first time. You MIGHT get lucky and be able to build a few things. But otherwise, expect to play through School Mode about 4 or 5 times, depending on how many characters' relationships you maxed out beforehand.

Vylash

I loved that part.

i always thought she was the one taking the picture

-Horizon-

Yeah, for the most part, have your first playthrough of the mode to get your characters leveled up. You will pretty much have no chance of building everything your first time. You MIGHT get lucky and be able to build a few things. But otherwise, expect to play through School Mode about 4 or 5 times, depending on how many characters' relationships you maxed out beforehand.

I only managed to barely make the first one (not the tutorial one). Failed the second and preparing the fail the third lol.

Speaking of anime, before I go further into School Mode and then the second game, Danganronpa anime. Good or bad?

It's good if you want to see all the main plot points animated and such. It doesn't touch the optional parts of the game (character events and junk) and removes the redundant parts (investigations), so that's why most people don't like it.

There's a also a small bit of a lot of stuff that basically looks like it was lifted from the game (executions, map movements, event scenes).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just finished Goodbye Despair. Man, what a ride.

If I hadn't thrown the game in my backlog before I'd have picked up so much merch while I was in Tokyo last week, haha.

Alfredo

d2FPz8n.png

(title image censored to remove Danganronpa 1 spoilers :p)

Here's the final episode of Danganwrestling. After WWE took down the initial upload, I split it up into two parts.

Episode 6, Part 1
Episode 6, Part 2

Episode Summary:

With Kirigiri forced into hiding by the previous episode’s shocking truth of her origin, Asahina, Sakura, and Stardust must regroup to have any hope of facing Ultimate Despair. With the help of BROCK LESNAR, Ultimate Despair wreaks havoc upon the WWE, destroying all hope of any Superstar looking to grab the brass ring. Roman Reigns and the Danganronpa 2 crew have come to even the odds and aid Team Hope in their fight against Team Despair! Speaking of odds, John Cena, never the one to give up, finally utilizes the power of Izanagi to rise above hate! And Stardust…dude, that guy is CRAZY. The Ultimate crossover fan fiction reaches its epic conclusion. DANGANWRESTLING IS REAL.

If you've been following the series, thanks for watching! I put a lot of work into it these past 6 months. It was such a silly idea, and remains so, but I'm still insanely proud of it.

If you haven't been watching, and want to catch up, the previous episodes can be found here. Episode summaries can be found here.

Messiah

Just finished Danganronpa 1 + 2 a few days ago. Wow what a ride.

Went in completely blind and just couldn't stop playing. I am thankful for the hype these games got on GAF, because I would've never picked them up if it weren't for all the positive comments I read here about them.

I'll need to let the games sink in a bit, but I think the two games combined might be my personal GOTY 2014.

I am still not really over the
remnants of despair
reveal. That part took me really by surprise and was a really clever way to
give a whole new outlook on the whole set of characters of DR 2

The best part about beating the games though is finally being able to dive into the vast pool of great fanart inspired by the franchise without being afraid of spoilers.

Edit:
i'd be careful about that, Another Episode spoilers are everywhere
Ugh ... despair.

Is the story worth not getting spoiled?

Vylash

Just finished Danganronpa 1 + 2 a few days ago. Wow what a ride.

Went in completely blind and just couldn't stop playing. I am thankful for the hype these games got on GAF, because I would've never picked them up if it weren't for all the positive comments I read here about them.

I'll need to let the games sink in a bit, but I think the two games combined might be my personal GOTY 2014.

I am still not really over the
remnants of despair
reveal. That part took me really by surprise and was a really clever way to
give a whole new outlook on the whole set of characters of DR 2

The best part about beating the games though is finally being able to dive into the vast pool of great fanart inspired by the franchise without being afraid of spoilers.

i'd be careful about that, Another Episode spoilers are everywhere

That's less DR/DR2 spoilers and more Another Episode spoilers :p

That's also from the Another Episode artbook. The beta designs for all the characters are pretty damn cool.
Oh seriously? Edited it out from my post, sorry. And just a post ago people were talking about AE spoilers. :I

Oh seriously? Edited it out from my post, sorry. And just a post ago people were talking about AE spoilers. :I

I mean it's no big deal if people talk about Another Episode spoilers here. They should just be spoilered tag and clearly mentioned that they are Another Episodes spoilers.

Kinsei

Banned
I just finished the first game, and I loved. There were a few annoying quirks that are inherent in this style of game, but overall it was nothing that detracted from the experience.

Final case spoilers:
Is it odd that the thing that clued me into who the mastermind was, was the tie she was wearing in the picture given to Makoto?

Vylash

so i just started reading Danganronpa Zero

"i'm going to meet the boy i like the best in the world!"
oh god, my despair senses are tingling

so i just started reading Danganronpa Zero

"i'm going to meet the boy i like the best in the world!"
oh god, my despair senses are tingling
0 is messed up beyond belief, just wait. I can see why it's a novel, because some of the stuff would be really hard to show in a game.

FluxWaveZ

It's interesting how far it seems "Distrust" had gotten in terms of development before being remade into "Danganronpa." I really liked VLR's "ally or betray" mechanic, and something like it applied to Danganronpa sounds interesting. I wonder if they'd ever want to explore significantly branching paths like that in a DR game; I'm fine with there not being any.

That article also introduced me to all of those translated creator interviews I wasn't aware of previously. Neat.

Diablos54

So I brought the first one when it was on sale a few weeks ago having heard it has some similarities to Phoenix Wright and blew through it. I wasn't sure at first, took me a chapter or two to really get into it, but once I did that was it, loved it. Started the second as soon as I finished the first. I'm currently waiting for someone to be killed in Chapter 2. I'll do a proper write up once I've finished the second one.

Top Bottom