• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa sells more than 100k+ copies in the U.S.

FluxWaveZ

Thanks to GSR:
Was this known? Kodaka says DR has sold 100k+ in the US. Doesn't specify if that's across both games or not.

Thought it was worth a thread, since it indicates a relatively good performance for the series in the U.S. Like GSR said, it's not clear if it's both games or not, but the number likely includes both Danganronpa 1 and 2.

Here are Famitsu numbers from series sales in Japan, to compare:
[PSV] Danganronpa: Another Episode (Spike Chunsoft) {2014-09-25} - 63,898 / 95,901
[PSV] Danganronpa: Another Episode [PlayStation Store] {DL} (Spike Chunsoft) {2014-09-25} - 5,206 / 8,134
[PSV] DanganRonpa 1-2 Reload (Spike Chunsoft) {2013-10-10} - 70,803 / 110,038
[PSP] Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc [PSP the Best] (Spike) {2011-11-23} - 13,015 / 132,660
[PSV] DanganRonpa 1-2 Reload [PlayStation Store] {DL} (Spike Chunsoft) {2013-10-10} - - / 5,697
[PSP] Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Spike Chunsoft) {2012-07-26} - 59,112 / 101,149
[PSP] Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Spike) {2010-11-25} - 34,583 / 81,221
First numbers are first week sales, second are LTD numbers.

B_YKcckUcAArQot.jpg
B_YVBtHUIAAuoVn.jpg

Echoing my last post, both games reaching that number would be phenomenal, but even as combined total that's pretty dang impressive for a niche Vita game in the west.

Bring on AE and DR3! :D

For a company like Spike Chunsoft where 100K is what their games are expected to sell in Japan, that's pretty significant.

It ensures that Danganronpa will continue to be produced + globalised.

mdubs

Banned
Are these considered good numbers, especially if this is both games combined? Somehow I was expecting more considering it seems to be the type of game Vita users would buy (I did my part, my sister and I both bought a copy of DR 1 and DR 2 at launch each). Plus hasn't P4G sold close to a million now or something (not that they're exactly comparable but both niche games, obviously the West is more aware of Persona compared to DR but it shows that Vita users are willing to buy.

FluxWaveZ

Are these considered good numbers, especially if this is both games combined?

Yes. Not amazing, but yes, these would be good U.S. only numbers for a niche new, Vita exclusive series like this.

Plus hasn't P4G sold close to a million now or something (not that they're exactly comparable but both niche games, obviously the West is more aware of Persona compared to DR but it shows that Vita users are willing to buy.

That's worldwide sales. This is U.S. only.

Chesskid1

Banned
nice, currently playing through the first one and really enjoying it.

kinda sucks they are milking it to death with sequels tho, games like these lose impact with the storyline as they make more of them.

Are these considered good numbers, especially if this is both games combined? Somehow I was expecting more considering it seems to be the type of game Vita users would buy (I did my part, my sister and I both bought a copy of DR 1 and DR 2 at launch each). Plus hasn't P4G sold close to a million now or something (not that they're exactly comparable but both niche games, obviously the West is more aware of Persona compared to DR but it shows that Vita users are willing to buy.

Where did you get that "P4G is nearly at 1 million" statistic?

Also, Spike Chunsoft is a small company. They don't need much to turn a healthy profit.

If 100K in the USA wasn't a good figure, they wouldn't have announced it via their PR.

P4G's numbers are worldwide.

kinda sucks they are milking it to death with sequels tho, games like these lose impact with the storyline as they make more of them.

Actually, the story is expanded exponentially with each game, which helps clarify questions that might've remained from the game prior, so... I don't really see it as milking the series. Now if nothing good comes of the plot for DR3, then I think it can be considered milking but the creators have done a phenominal job thus far

TP

after you play the second game you'll be begging for more with the rest of us

"when's DGR 3"
"Zero localization when"

Rnr1224

Good to hear! Played and beat 1 recently and loved it completely! gonna wait a bit to start 2 but i am excited for it.

Really glad to see niche stuff get success. Perhaps this is why Japanese devs seem more willing nowadays to give the west a try. There's a small, but very dedicated fanbase to be found here.

I would imagine that's a fair bit better then most NISA games that aren't named Disgaea.

Hell, those might be the best selling VN's in the West by now.

cripterion

Tried the first one couldn't get into it at all. The gameplay and graphics are such a turn off it stopped me from going forward with the story. Still, more Vita software sales is always good.

Meia

The Ace Attorney series might still be more successful, in that regard.

Still awfully good company. With this news, I'd hope that whether or not another DR game(after AE) would get localized would be a foregone conclusion now. :D

I really can't wait for AE to hit over here just to see how it does in comparison the main games.

Awesome! I plan on buying all 3 games (as soon as I get a Vita!) thanks in part to VitaGAF that won't shut up about it :p

Question. What is DanganRonpa 1-2 Reload?

Sophia

Awesome! I plan on buying all 3 games (as soon as I get a Vita!) thanks in part to VitaGAF that won't shut up about it :p

Question. What is DanganRonpa 1-2 Reload?

Danganronpa and it's sequel were originally PSP titles. The Vita versions were remade and combined together as one game. The versions released in the west are the Vita versions, but standalone.

The Vita compilation of the 2 PSP games

PSP games... Is there any differences between the standalone (West) releases?

Danganronpa and it's sequel were originally PSP titles. The Vita versions were remade and combined together as one game. The versions released in the west are the Vita versions, but standalone.

EDIT: Okay cool, so the West isn't missing any despair!
I don't even now what this means but it gets used a lot xD

Tried the first one couldn't get into it at all. The gameplay and graphics are such a turn off it stopped me from going forward with the story. Still, more Vita software sales is always good.

Did you get through the first trial at least? After that is when you're allowed to drop it.

breakfuss

About to finish up the first now (then pass it on to another Gaffer). Definitely one of the weirdest games I've ever played. Not sure what to think of the story but I hope the ending is satisfying. As of now there are so many unanswered questions lol.

Top Bottom