• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa V3 demo now available

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I'm glad I didn't go anywhere near the spin off game and the anime if this is the reaction to both of those. The series has been really consistent for me so far, quite a big fan (of both the developer and the series), so I'm really looking forward to V3.

I'll be going Vita with it though, just for old time's sake.

Yeah, I sidestepped the fuck out of the side stories too. My opinion of the franchise remains high as a result.

BTA

I'm pretty sure the Vita version has significantly worse audio quality than the ps4 version and in the JP version there was an extra download to improve it.

Do we know if we're getting this download (for the full game)?

I'm planning on playing with JP voices again so it's gonna suck if we don't.

I like the English voices. Wonder how this will tie in to the other games and why Monokuma is even there given that this is a new story and all.

Loz246789

DR:Another Episode isn't a bad game per say, but it's not quite good enough that I'd go out of my way to recommend it to people. It has some great characters, and the gameplay is serviceable, but it arguably goes a bit too far in places and it ties into the DR3 anime, so you may feel the need to watch that as well when done. If you can ignore that, it might be worth playing if you're invested in the series.

The DR3 anime is... ambitious? And again it has some good characters? But it also has some bad ones, and the plot occasionally goes completely stupid. If DR:AE was a mixed bag that ended up being a positive experience overall, DR3 is a mixed bag that ends up being a negative experience. It's not completely shit, but watch at your own risk.

...I'm so glad DRV3 seems significantly better so far.

Like, I am so confused by all of this demo!

I know it's going to become clear soon (I hope) but...

first 10 minutes of the Demo spoilers

Billed as a new cast but with Makoto and Hajime showing up... my need to binge this game is just being made so much worse!
That is for just the demo purposes they did it so that we don't see how the 1st case completely plays out e.g. Spoiler for demo,
Hagakure being dead.

Dalius

Just downloaded the Steam demo and I'm ready to jump in! Nice treat for the weekend, didn't expect this

I guess I'm in the minority in that I didn't hate the anime? The way it tried to weave between two stories each week was interesting and ambitious, even if it didn't always work perfectly. I wouldn't say it was great - in fact, there were some pretty dumb parts and the Despair arc didn't go as well as I hoped but I didn't come out of watching the series thinking any less of the games.

So much 4th wall breaking. "Kaede, you're the protagonist now, not us". I do like her though. Wonder if Tenko Chabashira would even talk to you if the protagonist was a male again lol.

Just downloaded the Steam demo and I'm ready to jump in! Nice treat for the weekend, didn't expect this

I guess I'm in the minority in that I didn't hate the anime? The way it tried to weave between two stories each week was interesting and ambitious, even if it didn't always work perfectly. I wouldn't say it was great - in fact, there were some pretty dumb parts and the Despair arc didn't go as well as I hoped but I didn't come out of watching the series thinking any less of the games.

I enjoyed the Danganronpa 3 anime. I thought it had plenty of good moments. It did have it's share of problems but I came out of it satisfied.

I'd watch the anime just for closure's sake regardless if it's good or bad (Mass Effect ended badly and I still liked the series overall). It's not on crunchyroll though.

A.J.

Banned
Is the audio mixing a bit off for anyone else? The character voices are coming in really soft compared to the bgm.

Edit: I'm playing the Vita version btw.

PK Gaming

I'd watch the anime just for closure's sake regardless if it's good or bad (Mass Effect ended badly and I still liked the series overall). It's not on crunchyroll though.

The anime doesn't provide closure; DR2's bittersweet ending provided closure. DR3 is just bad fanfiction.

mrmickfran

Tempted to listen to the music on YouTube, but I'm worried I'll get spoiled.

Beautiful Lie sounds amazing. Takada's still got it.

Zeroro

Didn't think Masafumi Takada would be able to top DR2's soundtrack, but he knocked it out of the park (though I think Beautiful Ruin's still my favorite Daily Life track). He's one of my favorite composers solely because of his work on the DR series.

I've been listening to the music the past couple months and keeping seeing a thumbnail for one of the songs that I feel like might spoil a late-game character composition. I'm not sure.

mrmickfran

Didn't think Masafumi Takada would be able to top DR2's soundtrack, but he knocked it out of the park (though I think Beautiful Ruin's still my favorite Daily Life track). He's one of my favorite composers solely because of his work on the DR series.
Yeah, he's one of my favorite composers as well. Also liked his work on God Hand and Kid Icarus.

Still haven't heard the rest of the OST in fear of getting spoiled thanks to my stupid curiosity.
I've been listening to the music the past couple months and keeping seeing a thumbnail for one of the songs that I feel like might spoil a late-game character composition. I'm not sure.

I think DRV3's ost is probably my fav out of the whole series.
Dammit, don't tempt me D:

DNAbro

Yeah, he's one of my favorite composers as well. Also liked his work on God Hand and Kid Icarus.

Still haven't heard the rest of the OST in fear of getting spoiled thanks to my stupid curiosity.

Dammit, don't tempt me D:

This is my personal favorite, the Scrum debate music which unfortunately the mechanic wasn't in the demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32GWbQt_Zn4

If you do open that I would probably opening it up an incognito tab or something so your youtube suggestions don't get messed up. and look away from sidebar lol.

mrmickfran

This is my personal favorite, the Scrum debate music which unfortunately the mechanic wasn't in the demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32GWbQt_Zn4

If you do open that I would probably opening it up an incognito tab or something so your youtube suggestions don't get messed up. and look away from sidebar lol.
Yeah, no offense, but I'm not gonna take a chance lol

My eyes will catch the slightest glance on something and it's all over :p

Feep

Banned
Apparently I'm allowed to announce this? I'm never sure about these things, but other voice actors have announced.

You thought you were rid of me, just because it's a completely new cast?! WRONG! I maintain my kingly status as the only American voice actor to appear in every Danganronpa game, as I take up the role of Monodam. This is not a plot spoiler; Monodam has nothing to do with Byukuya. It's just that I'm *awesome* and they wanted me *back*.

I hope everyone enjoys my beeps and boops!

Igama

Neo Member
Is the audio mixing a bit off for anyone else? The character voices are coming in really soft compared to the bgm.

Edit: I'm playing the Vita version btw.

Iirc the final game has a patch to improve the voices, so I guess there is the same problem with this demo.

Want to try this but still not up on EU PSN for Vita :(

Wait what
Dammit they trolled me I was not expecting the demo to end there.

I really enjoyed part of it, though there are some new mechanics I know I'm going to suffer in the full game
Lying is going to make the game really hard in the last chapters I bet.The same for that weird tetris-like minigame.I don't know why the would replace logic dive, the best thing they did for DR2, for that new taxi minigame.

Overall really excited, I like they new cast and they feel closer to DR1 than DR2 to me.

Sound mixing was weird I think. I played steam version and had to try several times a combination of voices and bmg volumes so I could hear the ost or the voices depending of the situation. Might me something on my part, though.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Aw, I was hoping the demo
would have a proper conclusion and put Makoto or Hajime in the role of the killer. It doesn't end, it just stops.
It's non-canon, so they could have gone nuts.

DNAbro

Apparently I'm allowed to announce this? I'm never sure about these things, but other voice actors have announced.

You thought you were rid of me, just because it's a completely new cast?! WRONG! I maintain my kingly status as the only American voice actor to appear in every Danganronpa game, as I take up the role of Monodam. This is not a plot spoiler; Monodam has nothing to do with Byukuya. It's just that I'm *awesome* and they wanted me *back*.

Too bad you had like no lines in the demo.

mrmickfran

I hope Monodam puts me down and makes me feel like shit like Byakuya did.

Atolm

Hahaha the
Troll ending
was great.

Also the production values are way higher than in previous games and it runs at 60fps, which is always appreciated.

Catvoca

Banned
I wasn't too excited for this after disliking UDG and the DR3 anime but after playing the demo I'm hyped. That was really fun and filled with a lot of interesting characters and good humour. I can't wait to play this now!

PK Gaming

Well if you count the demo then Bryce Papenbrook counts too.

:x :x :x

Sophia

I remember looking up the English voice actor for Byakuya and thinking "Hmm.. why does Jason Wishnov sound so familiar?"

It was only sometime later that I look at my PayPal and saw your name in there for Sequence/Before The Echo did I have an "OH SHIT BYAKUYA IS FEEP" moment. >.>

Feep

Banned
Well if you count the demo then Bryce Papenbrook counts too.

:x :x :x
WELL I DON'T OKAY

Real talk: I remember looking up the English voice actor for Byakuya and thinking "Hmm.. why does Jason Wishnov sound so familiar?"

It was only sometime later that I look at my PayPal and saw your name in there for "Sequence/Before The Echo" did I have an "OH SHIT BYAKUYA IS FEEP" moment. >.>
Everyone has one!

I don't voice act much anymore, sadly, but DR is probably the most fun I ever had doing it. Now I just code games in the darkness like a hermit.

I'm glad I didn't go anywhere near the spin off game and the anime if this is the reaction to both of those. The series has been really consistent for me so far, quite a big fan (of both the developer and the series), so I'm really looking forward to V3.

I'll be going Vita with it though, just for old time's sake.

Consider yourself blessed. I'm someone who likes to carry the attitude of "NO REGRETS!!!!! 💯" but ...watching the DR3 anime and playing UDG made me pretty regretful. I have faith in the game though. 1 and 2 are still great, amazing in many ways, so hopefully NDRV3 can eviscerate my memories of the side stories.

Gurnlei

Just played through it, took 2 hours - talked to everyone and examined everything.

It's just more Danganronpa from what I can tell. Can't wait until Sep 26th.

Hoping Gonta can live and become the Ultimate Gentleman.

Mathrin

...Oh my god.

You're the English VO for Byakuya? I don't think today can get much better

Yeah, Masafumi Takada's music is one of the main reasons I'm looking forward to this game. My favourite game composer, never let me down once. To those who only know his work on Danganronoa, you really, really should check out his work from the Grasshopper Manufacture days (Killer7, No More Heroes, Flower, Sun & Rain) just a masterclass of music. His Digimon: Cyber Sleuth soundtrack is also really good.

Consider yourself blessed. I'm someone who likes to carry the attitude of "NO REGRETS!!!!! 💯" but ...watching the DR3 anime and playing UDG made me pretty regretful. I have faith in the game though. 1 and 2 are still great, amazing in many ways, so hopefully NDRV3 can eviscerate my memories of the side stories.

Maybe Kodaka wanted you to carry the feeling of despair! What a twist!
Hmm, nah.

Demo was okay. I like the new features like the car thing and the lie bullets, the latter could make cases much more interesting.

For the cast it was hit and miss, I think Gonta was my favorite the way he talks is perfect. I also really liked the Supreme leader guy, assuming hes the new 'troll' character based on the demo (unless he dies right away XD) Didn't care much for any of the girls though, Kaede is okay but didn't get enough info on her to actually know how she'll be as her own character. It was fun seeing Makoto and Hajime apart of this thing though, made it more interesting to be sure.

I still want a Danganronpa All Stars with all the survivors from the first 2 (I guess 3 now) games. Both of the first two games had characters live that were... less important then others so seeing them all grouped up and then having them to do another killing game would be interesting to say the least. If it ever happens I totally call Makoto being the first victim by Hagakure XD

Top Bottom