• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa V3 Review Thread

That sounds like the good kind of divisive.

DR3 anime is fucking trash and I still don't understand why it exists except to be fanservice.

Kodaka's need to try and finish the storyline when I don't think we were ever meant to actually see the fall and the outside world. It was portrayed as a joke in DR1 (Monokuma heads on the Sphinx and Statue of Liberty) but had to actual be made later. Was the point of the series ever the outside world or was it always just this isolated area. The further the curtain was pulled back on that the less interesting it was, i.e. UDG. Even though I thought it was fine because I enjoyed the two main characters dynamic, it sure as shit isn't necessary.

Also ignored Zero completely, why

selo

I honestly don't care about the games score, it doesn't affect my purchase decision. I'm going to buy it regardless since I am a big fan of the series, so even if its bad, I'd rather play it myself and decide.

Good to see it get some 100, perfect scores though. Can't wait for the 26, feels like its super far away even though i know its just a week :p

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For those who finished it, how will you rank it against DR1, DR2, and UDG?

yes I liked UDG

Catvoca

Banned
So hyped about this game. All the talk about divisive twists has only made me more excited. Hoping the series gets back on track after DR3 and Ultimate Despair Girls.

GSR

yes I liked UDG

Probably above DR1 and definitely above UDG. Not sure how I'd relate it to DR2. I experienced DR1 and DR2 through LPs so it's hard to compare directly.

Do you need to play the first two games or is this a self-contained story?

As always, the series is pretty meta and self-referential, but the story itself is self-contained. You'll get more out of the game if you know the past two games but it's not required.

yes I liked UDG

I'd say

DR2 >>> DR1 (DR1's still great but 2 is a GOAT game) > V3 > UDG (I initially adored UDG but my feelings on it have deflated a bit as of late) >>>>>>>> DR3

"I think the problem with Danganronpa V3 is that the voice acting is *too* good."

Buy the game people

Monodam best Monokub 2017

hope it lives up to the hype, any word on how the pc performance is? not sure whether to go safe on ps4 or not

Plays great on PC. I tried the demo on both PS4 and Vita before playing the Steam version for review and it runs/looks noticeably better there compared to the former two platforms.

Guru-Guru

Banned

yes I liked UDG
I didn't play UDG, but it is definitely worse than DR1 and DR2, IMO. It felt way too bloated (I think my playtime was maybe 10-15 hours longer than DR2?), the setting was kinda boring, and I had major "been here, done that" vibes for most of the game. I'd say 2 of the chapters in DRV3 are the worst in the series, though a few of them are excellent. I was mildly disappointed with the ending, but not angry about it like the overwhelming majority of the Japanese fanbase.

BTA

It's weird going into something knowing it's so divisive. I expect to be spoiled on the ending by the time I reach it but I'm prepared for this ride regardless.

I'm just wondering what its message will even be, I guess. We'll see.

Jigorath

Banned
One more week.

I'm very excited.

DR2 is one of my favorite VNs ever. The DR3 anime was complete garbage and had no reason to exist, but I'm still hopeful this series can be brought back on track.

Jonnax

The demo didn't really sell me on the game.
I'm quite worried it'll be a rehash. Especially because I hear this is some alternate universe game, so essentially just a reason to have a new set of kids with a new school.

Igama

Neo Member
I have been reading the divisive thing since the Japanese release, but I have also dodged every possible spoiler about the game aside from the pre-release characters info and those things.

I wonder what makes it so divisive lol. I'm hyped.

emag

Then again Famitsu readers voted it in the top ten games of all time, so what should we make of this?

(Answer: don't ever trust famitsu polls and amazon.jp ratings)

eef.png

The 2.5 score it has on Amazon Japan indicates as much.

That one was super low because that game launched on Vita in a very poor state, they had to put patches and free dlc to fix it, the PS4 version has a higher score

From what I have seen, the initial reception was split but over time the reception became much more positive, but there is still indeed a sizable split in the fanbase

Fluloco

I actually got spoiled a couple of weeks ago, when the demo came out the spoiler thread was always around and at some moment I entered by mistake lol

I really don't know how big was the spoiler that I saw (I don't know if it happens early, late or what), but it's a cool twist after two similar games.

I'm super excited for this game :D

Musolf815

I have a few friends who watched videos of the JP release, and the one thing they told me soured me on the game immediately. Its super early, too.

I love some of the characters already from the demo, especially Miu Iruma, but that one spoiler has me hesitant.

Yes, if you're talking about what I'm thinking of I went from incredibly hyped to incredibly sour on the game as soon as I found out about that.

FluxWaveZ

Then again Famitsu readers voted it in the top ten games of all time, so what should we make of this?

(Answer: don't ever trust famitsu polls and amazon.jp ratings)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that Famitsu poll.

Intriguing. Though, as you say, relatively meaningless.

That one was super low because that game launched on Vita in a very poor state, they had to put patches and free dlc to fix it, the PS4 version has a higher score

From what I have seen, the initial reception was split but over time the reception became much more positive, but there is still indeed a sizable split in the fanbase

I see, might be the same issues that the English Vita demo has right now, like with the audio being a mess.

I got an early game spoiler and I'm super fucking pissed about that because that plot point was SHIT. GAF will meltdown when they get there, trust me. Turned me off the game a bit, though it's still a Day 1 buy.

Yes, if you're talking about what I'm thinking of I went from incredibly hyped to incredibly sour on the game as soon as I found out about that.

I know nothing about v3 but can I speculate/guess?
they do a bait and switch with the main character so you don't play as the girl in all the marketing?

I actually got spoiled a couple of weeks ago, when the demo came out the spoiler thread was always around and at some moment I entered by mistake lol

I really don't know how big was the spoiler that I saw (I don't know if it happens early, late or what), but it's a cool twist after two similar games.

I'm super excited for this game :D

Yeah I got spoiled in that thread too. I have no context like you, and I agree it's a really cool twist. Hopefully it is executed well

Uubumaster

Neo Member
A quick question to the reviewers.
Was the sound all right on the Vita version ? Because I'm still not sure about which version to get, and I don't think I'd have enough space on my memory card to download the patch. These things are almost impossible to find in France these days...

jonjonaug

I got an early game spoiler and I'm super fucking pissed about that because that plot point was SHIT. GAF will meltdown when they get there, trust me. Turned me off the game a bit, though it's still a Day 1 buy.

Every Danganronpa does this and it's kinda played out at this point. Spoilers for all DR games but you'll know what probably happens in DRV3 if you click any of these.

DR1:
Naegi is motivated by the death of Maizono.
DR2:
Hajime is motivated by Chiaki's death.
DR3:
Naegi is motivated by Kirigiri's (supposed) death. President Dumbass Mc'SwordMan is motivated by the death of the DR2 cast's Maid Teacher.

Clearly UDG is the most superior DR game for not resorting to this plot point.

EDIT: Seriously though, it pissed me off enough that I went and looked up spoilers for the rest of the game because who cares at this point. I can definitely see why it would be "divisive" given what I know about the rest of the game, but I've been told the execution is pretty top notch from people I do generally trust. I'm just going to wait for it to go on sale, too many other games coming out now anyway.

EDIT 2: Plus after so many shoddy releases I'm tired of paying full price for NISA games.

Im pretty sure I got a big spoiler a while ago, I don't know if it's shown right then and there in that early chapter or if its revealed later about what really happened in that chapter.

Top Bottom