• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Danish study finds that diversity is NOT a strength and is in fact a weakness.

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013

A new peer-reviewed study by Danish academics published in the Annual Review of Political Science has revealed that ethnic diversity erodes social trust in communities.

The study conducted by professors at the University of Copenhagen and Aarhus University in Denmark, looked to answer the question of whether “continued immigration and corresponding growing ethnic diversity” had a positive impact on social cohesion, unity, and togetherness.

In short, the study found that “continued immigration and corresponding growing ethnic diversity” exerts the exact opposite effect on society, meaning that it undermines and degrades social cohesion, unity, and togetherness.

Following a meta-analysis of 1,001 estimates from 87 studies from countries from the Western world, researchers found that there was indeed a “statistically significant negative relationship between ethnic diversity and social trust across all studies”.

One of the study’s main researchers, Peter Thisted Dinesen wrote: “To be clear, the overall negative relationship between residential ethnic diversity and social trust is statistically significant and holds up when conditioning on a range of potential confounders and moderators.”

“Extant studies have relatively consistently reported a significant negative relationship between neighborhood-level ethnic diversity and various forms of social trust,” the researchers mention.
But remember folks, don't listen to common sense or facts, instead please shut up and drink the kool-aid:

Durask

Feb 6, 2012
There were studies on the same topic years ago with similar conclusions.

By Michael Jonas | August 5, 2007
IT HAS BECOME increasingly popular to speak of racial and ethnic diversity as a civic strength. From multicultural festivals to pronouncements from political leaders, the message is the same: our differences make us stronger.
But a massive new study, based on detailed interviews of nearly 30,000 people across America, has concluded just the opposite. Harvard political scientist Robert Putnam -- famous for "Bowling Alone," his 2000 book on declining civic engagement -- has found that the greater the diversity in a community, the fewer people vote and the less they volunteer, the less they give to charity and work on community projects. In the most diverse communities, neighbors trust one another about half as much as they do in the most homogenous settings. The study, the largest ever on civic engagement in America, found that virtually all measures of civic health are lower in more diverse settings.

danielberg

Neophyte
Jun 20, 2018
no shit sherlock its not the people who are crazy
integration is a slow process you cant just open the fucking borders of a entire continent to millions because its geopolitical convenient at the time and not expect a backlash and increased troubles in society.

Last edited:

MetalAlien

Formerly 'MetalAlien'
Mar 6, 2005
Well no shit. If you move to another country and refuse to integrate. Instead you just set up a little pocket of the culture you came from, you have just fractured that community. Repeat for a few decades or more and you create little versions of the countries everyone came from all fighting and hating each other just like the parent countries.

Humans like to be around people who are like themselves. That includes brown people.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: RSB, Fbh and clem84

Durask

Feb 6, 2012
Very diverse places are

1. The Balkans
2. The Caucasus

Both have a bunch of tribes that hate each other and have been fighting each other for hundreds of years..

Stable states have always had monoculture often enforced by the dominant ethnic group.

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
Well no shit. If you move to another country and refuse to integrate. Instead you just set up a little pocket of the culture you came from, you have just fractured that community. Repeat for a few decades or more and you create little versions of the countries everyone came from all fighting and hating each other just like the parent countries.

Humans like to be around people who are like themselves. That includes brown people.
Yeah, everybody should have the right to live in a country where they look like the vast majority of other citizens and who share the same beliefs and history as they do. Most of the world actually lives like that, except white people, they're not allowed for some reason. Funny how none of these SJWs and diversity activists go tell Saudi Arabia they need to be more diverse and allow other religions. If diversity is such a strength, why doesn't every country want it?

Personally I don't care what people look like but if somebody comes to live in one of my countries, they better know how to speak the language, know the customs and culture, respect the native citizens and be appreciative of the opportunity afforded to them, embrace the native population's moral beliefs (you know, stuff like "rape is wrong"), integrate to become an honest, productive, law-abiding member of society. If they can't do that then I will regard them as scum that don't belong and that should be removed.

MetalAlien

Formerly 'MetalAlien'
Mar 6, 2005
Yeah, everybody should have the right to live in a country where they look like the vast majority of other citizens and who share the same beliefs and history as they do. Most of the world actually lives like that, except white people, they're not allowed for some reason. Funny how none of these SJWs and diversity activists go tell Saudi Arabia they need to be more diverse and allow other religions. If diversity is such a strength, why doesn't every country want it?

Personally I don't care what people look like but if somebody comes to live in one of my countries, they better know how to speak the language, know the customs and culture, respect the native citizens and be appreciative of the opportunity afforded to them, embrace the native population's moral beliefs (you know, stuff like "rape is wrong"), integrate to become an honest, productive, law-abiding member of society. If they can't do that then I will regard them as scum that don't belong and that should be removed.
You are everything the left hates and your views will be illegal if they aren't already.

Oct 26, 2018
Toronto and the nearby suburb cities are as diverse as you can get.

It's great. Great people, and a wide selection of restaurants, culture, and mainstream grocery store seems to have a nice ethnic sections and ethnic grocers are there too. There seems to be more ethnic kinds of eateries than your typical white guy corporation fast food joint.

Diversity works.

You just need an overall set of different people all getting along, working hard, and not causing trouble or whine for attention.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
Academia is now good.
Only when it suits them
It’s pretty clear to everyone that you’re avoiding talking about the actual study because you know that if you do, it’ll be plain as day that you only question studies you dislike, thus being guilty of the very same hypocrisy you’re attempting to mock.

If you were willing to take studies that fit your own bias as 100% accurate representations of fact, then surely you would feel the same about studies that don’t fit your bias, yes?

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Studies say the damnedest things. I expect this will make a few heads pop, Scanner style over at REEEEE.

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Either or you geniuses have anything constructive to add?
Of course they don't. Anything that is obvious just thru common sense(this study was unnecessary for those of us with working rational thought)is like throwing garlic on a vampire except in this case it's the equivalent of throwing dictionaries at them.

"Facts! *hiiiisssssss* my only weakness! You dastards!" *hiiissssss*

Reactions: Katsura

The Janitor

Jun 29, 2011
Yeah I mean it's not rocket science.

People with similar culture, values and beliefs living together = less conflict.

People with conflicting culture, values and beliefs living together = more conflict.

If you're going to do immigration you have to follow these golden rules:

-Don't take in too many.
-Make sure they are compatible with your country.
-Deportation if they commit crimes.

My country Sweden has done the complete opposite:

-We've taken in too many.
-No regard for if they are compatible or not (even ISIS fighters are welcome)
-We don't deport criminals (even when we do it's only for a limited time)

I think you all know the result of that. We haven't exactly become stronger...

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
I haven't read the link but when y'all talk about diversity is bad, are you meaning different racial groups existing together (i.e black, white, Asian, Latino, indian, etc)? Or are you meaning mass immigration? Because I'm not sure you're all talking about the same meaning of "diversity is bad".

Mohonky

Jan 19, 2007
Its more a question of integration. Unfortunately that doesnt necessarily happen; people usually just end up surrounding themselves and / or living in communities where people share the same background, culture, morals etc and with that comes an 'us' and 'them' mentality.

rorepmE

Jan 20, 2019
Republic of Val Verde
Its more a question of integration. Unfortunately that doesnt necessarily happen; people usually just end up surrounding themselves and / or living in communities where people share the same background, culture, morals etc and with that comes an 'us' and 'them' mentality.
They always point to the mass immigration in the 19th and 20th century as being what created American greatness. But even then there were ethnic conflicts and there certain weren't any activist groups going around calling people racist or giving them free shit.

Reactions: Square2015

RokkanStoned

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2018
Norway
I think that's a terrible overall measurement of what diversity is, but I do agree with the assertion that "Diversity is X" is ridiculous. Everytime I see it, I just think "no, it's not a strength, nor is it a weakness. It's both and neither.".
This study seems to just focus on the social stability part, but there are other areas where you get advantages as well, meaning "Diversity is X" is still silly, whether one way or the other. Being heterogenous gives a society a lot of cultural influence and flexibility to adapt, internal competition, compared to more rigid homogenous societies (at least that's my hypothesis). That's without considering just how wide the term "diversity" is and encompasses a lot of things and not just skin color and sexuality.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
I haven't read the link but when y'all talk about diversity is bad, are you meaning different racial groups existing together (i.e black, white, Asian, Latino, indian, etc)? Or are you meaning mass immigration? Because I'm not sure you're all talking about the same meaning of "diversity is bad".
Japan has diversity. No one ever said a population had to be 100% identical.

But if you told Japan tomorrow no one is allowed to speak Japanese and their new religion must be Islam because of the change in demographics, would the Japanese not have a right to be pissed at what "diversity" has done to their country?

I'm in the same boat. I want some kind of unique identity to still exist 100 years from now instead of everything becoming the same.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Nov 12, 2016
What do you mean that every situation is not infinitely better unless we stick a bunch of women and POC in it?!

Except for professions that are dominated by women and POC. No changes needed there.

Reactions: TheGreatYosh

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
What they want is a smooth brained american that only ever thinks in unison "god blessed america the freest nation in the world".

Diversity isn't just about diversity of culture. That helps, because it expands what you experience instead of being limited to your narrow view. Whatever bs they want to say about integration American wouldn't be what it is today without the mashup of cultures that make "american culture", and it's not just the foods we eat or the words we speak.

A study can be interesting and bring up good points of view... but again they only care if it affirms their preconceptions, as evidenced by their uniform replies of "telling me what I already knew!"

If that study had said anything else there would be no thread, or the thread that us lefties made would've been mocked to no end. Theres not a critical thought to be had.

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
I think that's a terrible overall measurement of what diversity is, but I do agree with the assertion that "Diversity is X" is ridiculous. Everytime I see it, I just think "no, it's not a strength, nor is it a weakness. It's both and neither.".
This study seems to just focus on the social stability part, but there are other areas where you get advantages as well, meaning "Diversity is X" is still silly, whether one way or the other. Being heterogenous gives a society a lot of cultural influence and flexibility to adapt, internal competition, compared to more rigid homogenous societies (at least that's my hypothesis). That's without considering just how wide the term "diversity" is and encompasses a lot of things and not just skin color and sexuality.
What they want is a smooth brained american that only ever thinks in unison "god blessed america the freest nation in the world".

Diversity isn't just about diversity of culture. That helps, because it expands what you experience instead of being limited to your narrow view. Whatever bs they want to say about integration American wouldn't be what it is today without the mashup of cultures that make "american culture", and it's not just the foods we eat or the words we speak.

A study can be interesting and bring up good points of view... but again they only care if it affirms their preconceptions, as evidenced by their uniform replies of "telling me what I already knew!"

If that study had said anything else there would be no thread, or the thread that us lefties made would've been mocked to no end. Theres not a critical thought to be had.
Both of you guys are on the money.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CeroFrio996

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia

Cool tag bro

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
I already knew this, cause I've read Bowling Alone, and I have a functioning brain. It's great to see more published research on it though.

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
You can have all the diversity of people in different backgrounds all you want, but what matters more is are they're willing to assimilate to the countries value's?
That's a fantasy they sold you on. The Globalists that pushed diversity are much smarter than you unfortunately.

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
Humans adapt to social diversity changes over time.
That is completely meaningless. Even if that was true. It's not good to force that suffering on the generations of people in the mean time. It sure as fuck is not good to genocide the nation's wherever these forced transformations take place. And where is all this social diversity taking place?

OptimusApex

Formerly 'AfricanKing' ... purposely obtuse
Jul 16, 2017
That is completely meaningless. Even if that was true. It's not good to force that suffering on the generations of people in the mean time. It sure as fuck is not good to genocide the nation's wherever these forced transformations take place. And where is all this social diversity taking place?
Nope its true, I literally quoted the name of the study you can find it.

Poor you having to suffer by having to live next to someone from different culture.

Worlds smallest violin 🎻

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
My main group of friends here in Germany consists of germans, peruvians, paraguayans, costa ricans, italians, indians, south koreans, Americans, latvians, spanish/Catalunya, polish. I love that shit, it's a really cool group and we get along well. Much better than a homogeneous group for me. The cooking parties we make are Godly.

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
Nope its true, I literally quoted the name of the study you can find it.

Poor you having to suffer by having to live next to someone from different culture.

Worlds smallest violin 🎻
Again! That was what I said didn't matter, and you focused on it. You always do that because you have nothing for the rest of it. All of the research shows how bad 'diversity' is, and you say poor me. You're an ingrate that called himself African King while living in the UK. Lol.

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
i wonder what the world would look like today if native american america was never invaded
Everyone would be flooding Europe only, instead of the US, and Canada too. Then again the 2 great wars probably would have ended differently. So globalism probably wouldn't be as pervasive.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: triplestation

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto and the nearby suburb cities are as diverse as you can get.

It's great. Great people, and a wide selection of restaurants, culture, and mainstream grocery store seems to have a nice ethnic sections and ethnic grocers are there too. There seems to be more ethnic kinds of eateries than your typical white guy corporation fast food joint.

Diversity works.

You just need an overall set of different people all getting along, working hard, and not causing trouble or whine for attention.
Except that that's not the diversity we're talking about, we're not talking about what people look like. People that own restaurants are most likely to be decent hard working folks who are well integrated.

We're talking about diversity in terms of people coming in with a radically different culture, with beliefs that are the opposite of Western beliefs, that specifically choose not to adopt western values and instead try to impose their old ways on the native population, people that have no respect for the laws or culture and just do what they want and live they way they did in their old countries despite them saying they left those countries to escape that. We're talking about people who contribute nothing except violent crime, destruction of property and who respect nothing and no-one.

OptimusApex

Formerly 'AfricanKing' ... purposely obtuse
Jul 16, 2017
All of the research shows how bad 'diversity' is, and you say poor me.
As I said before Humans have and will always adapt to changes in diversity.

Humans have evolved cognitive processes favoring homogeneity, stability, and structure. These processes are, however, incompatible with a socially diverse world, raising wide academic and political concern about the future of modern societies. With data comprising 22 y of religious diversity worldwide, we show across multiple surveys that humans are inclined to react negatively to threats to homogeneity (i.e., changes in diversity are associated with lower self-reported quality of life, explained by a decrease in trust in others) in the short term. However, these negative outcomes are compensated in the long term by the beneficial influence of intergroup contact, which alleviates initial negative influences. This research advances knowledge that can foster peaceful coexistence in a new era defined by globalization and a socially diverse future.
And secondly this paper that the OP is based on has not drawn the conclusion that Diversity is bad in general. You might need to actually read the study and not go based on the title.

What do other studies say that dont look at social trust and let's say from a corporate point of view. Well companies with a diverse senor management produce 19% more revenue over companies that dont.

You can't look at diversity from only one optic. So please continue to cry over living in a diverse country.

🎻

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
As I said before Humans have and will always adapt to changes in diversity.

And secondly this paper that the OP is based on has not drawn the conclusion that Diversity is bad in general. You might need to actually read the study and not go based on the title.

What do other studies say that dont look at social trust and let's say from a corporate point of view. Well companies with a diverse senor management produce 19% more revenue over companies that dont.

You can't look at diversity from only one optic. So please continue to cry over living in a diverse country.

🎻
Did any of those companies have employees like these people as part of their management:

Somehow I doubt it, you're trying to make the issue about something it's not. The fact is that scenes like those in the videos would have been unfathomable in France 30 years ago. What about somebody who believes women are beneath them and refuse to shake their hands, how did having somebody with that kind of diversity work out for the French police station the other day? Dude couldn't stand his female boss bossing him around because he culture told him it was wrong and he decided to listen to his culture rather than adopt France's.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
You can have all the diversity of people in different backgrounds all you want, but what matters more is are they're willing to assimilate to the countries value's?
I think if you ask most people, they're not actually scared of what background someone hails from.
What should worry us is when you take the diversity of peoples background, and literally force it on the entire country untill nothing original exists.

Going back to my Japan example, again, I'm pretty sure if you go to Tokyo they have restaurants or businesses that are of U.S origin. I bet the Japanese think it's cool they get to experience a KFC or Pizza Hut like the rest of us.

However, once you travel outside Tokyo, there still exists plenty of unique culture that's exclusively Japanese and not much else. You don't have to ask yourself if Kyoto or Nagasaki are Japanese cities. Their unique history and cultural makeup and lack of garish Americanism tells you these places are always going to be Japanese.

Now, what's so bad about the above example. WHY can't there be a balance?

The current trajectory of diversity in Western countries says "Sorry, Westerner. You are not allowed to have anything unique for yourself. The entire world must take over and dictate your culture for you".

And then people wonder why diversity leads to issues or lack of trust. When we're told we're not allowed to have our own culture anywhere in our countries anymore, it's going to anger a lot of people.

Last edited: