• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno Crossing the Line?

squicken

If there's a thread on this, I didn't see anything recent. The only place I can find video of it is on IGN Insider (I wont post it so don't ask).

Basically, that giant woman in the videos so far, she has her nipples sawed off. And from the nipples these little flying babies come crawling out. She then hurls them at the player.

Another enemy is a naked woman who essentially has a giant vagina arm come from her crotch to attack the player.

Anyway, IGN Insider has a discussion about it. They won't put those segments of the video up with all the other vids, as they feel it's too far just disgusting. I took a couple screen grabs of the offending parts.

NSFW

http://i36.tinypic.com/26096y1.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/1231g0h.jpg

This really is in poor taste.

Zophar

Dante's Inferno crossed the line the moment someone decided to turn an epic poem about finding salvation into a video game about killing monsters.

I have no interest in buying this game but from the videos i have seen and the two screenshots right there : Not even close. It's just a chick, we even saw the hairy pussy of a chick in fahrenheit. But it sure is crossing the line from inspiration to plagiarism.

Meadows

Banned
In multiple ways yeah. God of War gameplay that doesn't look that good, and ridiculous content along with a despicable marketing campaign.

Doesn't this game take place in Hell? A place that's supposed to be sickening?

If there's anything offensive about this game is how they've called this game "Dante's Inferno" despite it being about as far removed thematically from the story as you can get.

Xater

Trying to be outrageous kinda makes it hilarious. :lol

And no this doesn#t bother me at all. It's just a fucking video game.

Zophar said:
Dante's Inferno crossed the line the moment someone decided to turn an epic poem about finding salvation into a video game about killing monsters.

This, along with the stupid execution/salvation system.

However, what the OP points to I have no problem with at all. This isn't acceptable, but other forms of gore/mutilation/murder are? Odd.

StuBurns

Banned
Poor taste? They crossed the line of taste and decency so long ago the line is a vague memory at this point. I pray this game bombs.

Doesn't bother me at all. For the record I don't tend to have an issue with gore in games though, in movies it bothers me but not in games.

Raide

So this is crossing the line, yet ripping off someone's head in GoW3 is ok?

If it gets an M/18 Rating, this kind of thing it just another progression to see how far Developers can go before they get banned. :lol

KAOz

Short bus special
Jive Turkey said:
Meh. I've seen far worse in classical art portrayals of Hell.

This is very true.

Why is this such poor taste really? Because the women are nude? Or the mutilation of them? I don't really see the problem at all. o_O

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Oneself said:
Saw that already in D2 .. :lol
MightyDucksD2.jpg

Yeah that movie was disturbing.

JdFoX187

Banned
I didn't know there was a line to cross for this sort of thing. I'm interested in the game either way and will still buy it. People get too worked up over stuff like this.

It's hell, You think Hell has a fuckin sense of decency?

No.

Though I'll buy it only if the gameplay is any good.

I applaud this artistic choice though.

Kimosabae

Banned
If you asked me, I'd tell you art's not doing its job if it's not offending somebody.

As others have said, this seems consistent with a lot of absurd portrayals of Hell. Meh.

Plus, the graphics kinda suck anyway.

Really, the only thing that crosses the line for me regarding this game is its plagiarisms of God of War. That's something actually worth piercing the sky with pitchforks over.

-Scribblenaut

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't think it's crossing a line...it may be distasteful, but I think most people's visions of hell are filled with distasteful things, and things much worse than this.

I didn't play dead space but some of the pics I saw seemed pretty disgusting and I remember 1up Yours discussing the "strategic dismemberment system"... how lovely

Many games this gen passed my personal line long ago but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be made or that some company should filter information about it

FFChris

Raide said:
So this is crossing the line, yet ripping off someone's head in GoW3 is ok?

This, absolutely this.

Ripping heads off, fine! Just please, please don't show me any genitals!!

Edit: The game is clearly going for all out shock factor, but I bet if this sort of stuff was in a more popular game it would get praised for being its daring. It would be interesting to know if anything like this is in the lust circle of hell described in the actual book.

slider

I know I'll be in the minority but there's nothing wrong with "appropriate censorship" (I know that could cause a whole debate by itself but I'll leave it as is).

Haven't clicked the links but from the description it sounds rather crass. Of course there's likely to be a significant portion that'll simply say "I don't see a problem" or "lolz". There should be standards in goods produced for the mass market.

Over and out.

rvy

Banned
Mt Heart Attack said:
This game is just disgusting. And i'm not talking about that boob shit. Not only about that, at least.
Cancel it please, and make Dead Space 2 :(
Who says they aren't?

Also, awesome. :lol

Zenith

Banned
There is no "line". It's a video game. Has nothing worse in it than Silent Hill 2.

"Quick, Hell is too nasty! Tell Satan to stop being so offensive!"

Thrakier

slider said:
I know I'll be in the minority but there's nothing wrong with "appropriate censorship" (I know that could cause a whole debate by itself but I'll leave it as is).

Everything is wrong with censorhip in relation to art. There is no reason to discuss that.

Dascu

Mt Heart Attack said:
This game is just disgusting. And i'm not talking about that boob shit. Not only about that, at least.
The Dead Space team is probably working on Dead Space 2. Another team is working on Dante's Inferno.

Kimosabae said:
Really, the only thing that crosses the line for me regarding this game is its plagiarisms of God of War. That's something actually worth piercing the sky with pitchforks over.

Right, GoW clearly is the only title that should be released in a certain genre! Fuck you if you want to release a casual laughably bad style over substance action game, God of war should be the only one!

Don't find it offensive but it's not making me want the game any more because it's in there either.

Concept17

Mt Heart Attack said:

Oh gawd no not boobies and hell.

And DS2 is coming.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I've not seen much in videogames that surpasses the nightmares that real people have inflicted on other real people.

A few years ago listening to a radio story about atrocities in an ethnic/religious conflict the reported described (warning, you cannot unthink this)
male combatants on one side of the conflict making a bet about the sex of the child a pregnant woman prisoner was carrying and then cutting her open -- killing the woman and the child -- to see who won the bet

When a game crosses that line, or even gets into the same galaxy, we can talk about whether it's gone too far.

Sipowicz

Banned
Zophar said:

bwahahaha. you deserve an inspirational picture

mikehilarious.jpg

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Why are people so easily offended? Just grow up, and if you don't want to play it, don't. I think the game has some promise. It's clearly a GOW ripoff but if it's as fun to play as that game is, I'll enjoy it.

Shikashi said:
Who says they aren't?
Well you're right, I'd like to reformulate: cancel it please, so you can make Dead Space 2 in less time^^

Dascu said:
The Dead Space team is probably working on Dead Space 2. Another team is working on Dante's Inferno.
I hope so. We have confirmation about that? The Dead Space Team (or at least part of it) was working on Extraction anyway, don't know about the rest of it.

jett

D-Member
I think it looks ridiculous, but digusting? Nah. The graphics aren't good enough to have any sort of shock value. :p

As Akon says, "I'm trying to find the words to describe this girl without being disrespectfuuuuuuul"

Um, EA, you are being talentless fuckwits about this. At least go and watch some early 90s shock anime and steal some monster designs from people who have... studied fucking design. I don't mind some stupid sex mutants, hey some may say I'm a fan, but this looks (as we say down here) shithouse.

Top Bottom