• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno demo coming this month, hitting PSN first, XBL two weeks later

Darklord said:
I find Western and Japanese action games to be a different market.

While I wouldn't call them a different market, I do think they have different focuses. Japanese action games tend to focus more on depth in the combat system, whereas Western action games are more button mashey, but have more emphasis on level design, enviromental hazards and puzzles.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Loved the demo. Haven't played GOW3 demo yet.

How many FPSs and RPGs have similar battle systems? As far as I'm concerned action games could do it too... just as long as they keep trying to critique it.

ymmv

Banned
I just played the demo and I was having fun, so I'll be picking up the game. I wasn't comfortable with all the gratuitous nudity so far. I could have done without the madonna with the small boobies. I don't see the point of a hero with a cross stitched in his chest either.

Another complaint was that the quality of the visuals were all over the place. In the beginning you got a glorious vista and nice CGI animation of the main character coming home, then you have the animated cutscenes that go from nice (psuedo medieval drawings on cloth) to cheap and ugly japanimation. Why couldn't they have done all the cutscenes in that medieval style? It would have lent some class to the ga ... oh, wait, I forgot all about naked Beatrice urging the hero along ...

But I did like the GoW gameplay a lot. I dunno if it's a day one but I will pick it up.

ymmv said:
I just played the demo and I was having fun, so I'll be picking up the game. I wasn't comfortable with all the gratuitous nudity so far. I could have done without the madonna with the small boobies. I don't see the point of a hero with a cross stitched in his chest either.

were you expecting a pair of scarred articifial boobies?

Oh man am I conflicted :lol

I started playing and was actually disgusted at the level of which this games design document was "copy God of War 2", and laughed out loud when unlocking the slow motion air juggle and the scythe extending on a chain.

Then...I realised I was having more fun than I did with the GoW3 demo. I was enjoying the setting, the weapons, it even did riding the giant beast better with more use for it. The weapons felt very Castlevania as well whicy even further confuses me since I'm looking forward to Lords of Shadow as well.

And this is coming out in February? I honestly wonder how Sony execs feel about that. Yes its multiplatform, but the X360 is getting a GoW game one month before 'the real thing' and its no shitty either.

Also, seriously fuck you Q1 2010. This isn't even a joke now. What games are going to bomb (Yakuza 3 sure is!!) because there is no way the market can sustain this number of releases in a NON-CHRISTMAS PERIOD. Did they all think they'd be the first to delay! I expect GAF to be non-stop "BACKLOG OF 15-20 GAMES JESUS FUCK" throughout 2010 :lol

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
SecretBonusPoint said:
And this is coming out in February? I honestly wonder how Sony execs feel about that.

Only possible response:
fgm.png

If this is any indication of what the official thread will be, I'm out for sure.

I'm sick of the GoW comparisons and the console shit.

SecretBonusPoint said:
And this is coming out in February? I honestly wonder how Sony execs feel about that.
I'm fairly certain they don't care, since it won't be taking a single sale away from GOW.

Decado

Die Squirrel Die said:
While I wouldn't call them a different market, I do think they have different focuses. Japanese action games tend to focus more on depth in the combat system, whereas Western action games are more button mashey, but have more emphasis on level design, enviromental hazards and puzzles.
And tacking on seizure inducing flashiness. It seriously undermines the quality of the combat, IMO. I'm probably going to buy Bayonetta, but I was still constantly thinking "is the developer trying to destroy my eye sight?" while playing the demo.

Anyway, there are a couple of directors/developers in Japan who can make great combat systems. I wouldn't go so far as to make a "Japanese vs. Western" comparison. There aren't really enough quality studios in Japan who make action games anymore.

So, I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but I was just playing the demo and during the part with the fight with Death the game completely broke. He grabbed me to initiate the QTE but instead of it working properly the two characters just were frozen in that position flying around the environment, hitting rocks and stuff and eventually flying into an infinite dark abyss. It was pretty damn funny :lol

Scythesurge said:
So, I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but I was just playing the demo and during the part with the fight with Death the game completely broke. He grabbed me to initiate the QTE but instead of it working properly the two characters just were frozen in that position flying around the environment, hitting rocks and stuff and eventually flying into an infinite dark abyss. It was pretty damn funny :lol

yeah, it's happened a lot in the demo. people have mentioned it in this thread.

offshore

SecretBonusPoint said:
And this is coming out in February? I honestly wonder how Sony execs feel about that. Yes its multiplatform, but the X360 is getting a GoW game one month before 'the real thing' and its no shitty either.

If 360 owners love Dante's Inferno, then Sony will probably be delighted more than anything, as 360 owners may be more inclined to get a PS3 and GoW3 if they love DI so much.

No 360 owner is going to buy a PS3 and GoW3 if they don't like the premise of Dante's Inferno....that's probably why Stig Asmussen (GoW3 director) wants Dante's Inferno to be a success...

played the demo yesterday, some stuff that I appreciate

- more varied movesets compared to GoW. at least that's what it looks like. the skill tree give it more rpg feeling and it always feels good to unlock new moves frequently, unlike GoW series where I basically don't care about upgrading until I have tons of red orbs.

- riding enemies are more satisfying because you have more direct control of the monster, but it also make me remember some interview with GoW3 developer where Kratos not going to treat rideable enemies nicely, that giant monster don't suddenly become friends. it just makes me chuckle when the giant monster in Dante's Inferno is so obedient to Dante that it willingly open a door for Dante.

that's probably it sadly. on the other hand, some stuff that I don't like

- level design and combat scenario. background are not bad, but at least in the demo, level design is literally a square ground with kill all enemies objectives. other than that, you have the kill enemies in hallway quickly before a rolling spikes reach you. reminds me to much of God of War 1, made worse that I just beat GoW1 again recently so the memories is still fresh.

- Dante killing lots of people in gameplay and then got stabbed from the back by random enemy during cutscenes. at least Kratos got killed by gods Zeus and Ares in cutscenes.

- QTEs are a mess, they should at least try to rip off GoW 3. even GoW2 QTEs are better than this.

-viper-

Banned
Good points:
- 60FPS
- Good animations for riding the monster

Bad points:
- Average graphics
- Really bland environments
- Doesn't feel particularly exciting

A lot of the mechanics are similar to God Of War but I personally don't find the gameplay as fun. I played the GOW3 demo straight after Dante's Inferno and the combat feels more satisfying, the pacing is better and it just feels so much more 'epic'.

Originally I was interested in this game but I think I'll skip it and wait for GOW instead.

AndyD

aka andydumi
McBradders said:
Not terrible by any means. Extremely competent but lacks any imagination. This is about as copy and paste as it gets, gameplay wise. If this is "me too" future is what EA is heading toward then with all due respect, Mr. Ricotello, noooo thank you.

These are my impressions as well.

I also found the copious nudity and unneccesary gore weird as it clearly targets a certain demographic.

Also, the cutscenes and the graphic novel cutscenes were very good, but the story makes no sense, at least the bit in the demo, which seems to be the beginning of the game.

And why is Death a pushover? Nothing about the character makes it seem that he can take death on and win in a minute.

And the QTE images need to be redone. Firstly its hard to tell which button the are displaying, and second, if they are ripping off GOW so much, might as well ripoff the placements, so that you can at least focus on the scene and see out of the corner of your eye which button to press based on which side of the screen its on.

AndyD

aka andydumi
SquirrelNuckle said:
Loved the demo for this. The cross weapon was probably my favorite. Adds a lot of variety for me.

You mean the scythe? Or the cross shooting holy cross magic?

JimiNutz

Banned
offshore said:
If 360 owners love Dante's Inferno, then Sony will probably be delighted more than anything, as 360 owners may be more inclined to get a PS3 and GoW3 if they love DI so much.

No 360 owner is going to buy a PS3 and GoW3 if they don't like the premise of Dante's Inferno....that's probably why Stig Asmussen (GoW3 director) wants Dante's Inferno to be a success...

It could also have the complete opposite effect.
360 only owners may see Dante's Inferno as a competent replacement for the lack of GoW on their console...

I'm a 360 only owner, and I'm very pleased that Dante's Inferno is such a straight up rip because I kind of want to play a violent action game like GoW, but I don't want to play one badly enough to buy a whole new console for the pleasure.

I'll definitely be getting that exclusive European Death Edition too. I'll be playing the game with the Dead Space character as well, I don't care if he looks completely out of place :lol

matmanx1

Just played through the demo. I was way more impressed than I thought I would be. 60fps in a game like this makes such a HUGE difference. Everything was so smooth and silky even if the graphics weren't the best we've seen.

What can I say? The demo was fun, gory and a little bit shocking, all of which is very intentional. Depending on the length it may become either a purchase or at least a rental for me but it least it's on my radar now.

Philthy

I feel like a god damn retard, but how do you finish the Grim Reaper off? It makes you hit R2, then shows what looks like the O button flashing on the screen which does nothing. So then I assumed it was the direction stick up and down, which does nothing, so I tried the OTHER stick up and down and does nothing. So then I tried clicking the stick, rotating the stick, I basically jerked off my controller and nothing worked.

So instead of writing off this demo as a huge pile of shit, someone tell me what the fuck that symbol means? Thanks.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Philthy said:
I feel like a god damn retard, but how do you finish the Grim Reaper off? It makes you hit R2, then shows what looks like the O button flashing on the screen which does nothing. So then I assumed it was the direction stick up and down, which does nothing, so I tried the OTHER stick up and down and does nothing. So then I tried clicking the stick, rotating the stick, I basically jerked off my controller and nothing worked.

So instead of writing off this demo as a huge pile of shit, someone tell me what the fuck that symbol means? Thanks.

It's a button. It should be a O.

I personally strongly disliked the demo, for two reasons:

1) It's a fucking insult to my literary sensibilities

2) It's boring and derivative. No thanks, I'll stick to Bayonetta.

Not to mention the game is downright bland. Graphically, it did nothing for me. Bayonetta and GoW3 were both far more graphically appealing.

SonComet

I enjoyed the demo enough. I do feel that it is a little too similar go the GoW series for it's own good. The GoW3 demo was so much better imho that the similarities force you to draw comparisons in your head that are always negative. But it was still fun and played well, so I will definitely think about giving it a shot unless I am too bogged down with bayonetta, ME2, and FF13 to pick this one up before GoW3 arrives. Also, the cross that is sewn into his torso makes me so uncomfortable. Usually violence doesn't bother me, but I just don't like that crazy cloth cross.

Comparisons with GOW3.

R1 to open doors, fountatins.
Similar combos (overhead swing and the end of the SQUARE button combo)
Triangle button air move.
Enemy "Room" (swap fire wall with spirit face for GOW)
Controlling the giant beast is almost exactly like riding the cyclops in GOW3.
Pressing "O" quickly.
Air combos.
Pressing R1+L1 to initiate Super mode (take less damage, harder attacks for limited time)
QTE.

If I was SCEA Santa Monica I would be in full hater mode right now. This was the most blatant GOW clone I have ever seen. At least Heavenly Sword tried to differentiate itself from the GOW style somewhat (removed the jump button lol and added some six axis controls)

I will not be buying this day one (I'll use the monies for GOW3 :p )

SmokyDave

^I must admit, I was shocked at how blatantly it plagiarises the gameplay from GoW. I was expecting something of a clone but they pretty much ripped it off in it's entirety. I'll be buying it because I love that kind of game but I think it would have perhaps made more sense as a 360 exclusive.

SmokyDave said:
but I think it would have perhaps made more sense as a 360 exclusive.

I'm pretty sure thats when Sony would have been forced to make some kind of movement on the game with a "LOL NO" suit of some kind.

I have no idea why fountains have green orbs coming out of them because you break them after drinking like an asshole? Thats when it fully went from "lol the controls are the same" to "now hang on lads, thats a bit too far" :lol The slow motion air juggler move also made me say "oh fuck off" out loud.

roxya

LLaMa-Tech said:
If I was SCEA Santa Monica I would be in full hater mode right now. This was the most blatant GOW clone I have ever seen.

I think they'd be more flattered than anything else.

Wow, what a lovely demo, I am impressed for sure. 60fps is beautiful, and it makes GoW3 (demo) feel slightly sleepy. Might get this over GoW3 at launch, as the Collection has given me a nice intake of Kratos for now. Preordered.

Lovely stuff.

Halcyon

I downloaded the demo over the weekend and played it. I found it fun just because I'm a big god of war fan, but it just had to make me laugh at how much of a clone this is. It's the same exact game as gow2. I wasn't really super impressed with the level shown in the demo, but some of the stuff in the preview video afterwards looked really interesting to me. Especially fighting that giant demon/devil. I'll probably rent this and look forward to doing so.

Rolf NB

Die Squirrel Die said:
Oh lord.

Nemesis_

bcn-ron said:

I feel as though I can get through GoW or the DI demo with more button mashing than in, say, Bayonetta or DMC (or even NG).

But you know, different people, different opinions.

Rolf NB

Nemesis556 said:
I feel as though I can get through GoW or the DI demo with more button mashing than in, say, Bayonetta or DMC (or even NG).

You can "go through" most action games period with button mashing ... on default difficulty levels. That's the catch. If you like your games more challenging, and are given the option to increase the challenge, you should use it.

God Of War can indeed be pretty technical if your aim is to never get hit.
OTOH I don't know if it's even possible to lose health in the Bayonetta demo.

Either way it's still a gross generalization. Dynasty Warriors is an eastern game, too. Or Genji, if you want a closer match, although fewer people have played it. Conan is a western game, and pretty demanding. Etc.

wRATH2x

Banned
I actually really liked the demo, it's the most blatant God Of War rip-off yet. But it's a good God Of War rip-off and the best yet.

I'll be buying this.

AndyD

aka andydumi
LLaMa-Tech said:
Boobs and crosses don't really mix IMO.

Yea, that one cutscene about the promise, it was weird.

That said, this is a straight ripoff of GOW and not a very good one so far. I may Goozex it, but theres so much good stuff Q1-2, it may not be til next summer or fall.

Dyno

I'm thinking this demo didn't do the game any service. In the Developer Diaries they say that the real star of Inferno is the environments of Hell, and they were indeed jaw dropping. As well, in the DD they went to great lengths to introduce some of the truly sickening monsters to be found in hell but in the demo we saw none of them, only bland minions and a couple standard horned demons.

roxya

Nemesis556 said:

Dunno about the full game but the Bayonetta demo doesn't require anything but mashing triangle.

I loled my whole way through this travesty of a demo. EA should be ashamed of this product. It's such a blatant me-too effort and displays a blatant disregard for modern game design and a clear lack of desire to innovate.

Also, there are moments where the God of War Collection /Ninja Gaiden Black(and especially sigma) look better than this game.

I appreciate the 60FPS, but it looks awfully bland from the demo.

Lastly - shooting crosses at enemies, I laughed for a good 15 minutes. Even more than I laughed when your poor dead girlfriends boobie popped out center stage on the camera. Just terrible, visceral. Put this one back in the oven until holiday 2010.

I got a 150 hit combo in the demo just by mashing square. It's not a good action game. It's a bad one. On par with the worst of the Dynasty Warriors games.

offshore said:

Or, just like when inFamous and Prototype came out, the 360 owners will simply say "meh, I played Prototype, so I don't need to play inFamous"

SonOfABeep said:
I loled my whole way through this travesty of a demo. EA should be ashamed of this product. It's such a blatant me-too effort and displays a blatant disregard for modern game design and a clear lack of desire to innovate.

Also, there are moments where the God of War Collection /Ninja Gaiden Black(and especially sigma) look better than this game.

I appreciate the 60FPS, but it looks awfully bland from the demo.

Lastly - shooting crosses at enemies, I laughed for a good 15 minutes. Even more than I laughed when your poor dead girlfriends boobie popped out center stage on the camera. Just terrible, visceral. Put this one back in the oven until holiday 2010.

I got a 150 hit combo in the demo just by mashing square. It's not a good action game. It's a bad one. On par with the worst of the Dynasty Warriors games.

So...Day 1?

Top Bottom