• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno demo coming this month, hitting PSN first, XBL two weeks later

Struct09

The PS3 version is what they were showing at PAX - it looked good, ran great, and was fun. I look forward to trying out this demo while sitting on my comfy couch.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
WickedLaharl said:
awesome. i really hope the qte crap is few and far between. action games have no need for such mechanics.
I disagree. QTEs are fantastic when used properly. They allow for dramatic, context sensitive actions to appear within the context of the gameplay without requiring a dedicated button. Some games do a very poor job with them, of course, but that doesn't mean they should be done away with.

soldat7

WickedLaharl said:
awesome. i really hope the qte crap is few and far between. action games have no need for such mechanics.

After playing Demon's Souls and Shadow of the Colossus, I'd have to agree.

Cowie

In the interest of needlessly stirring up trivial shit, why the two week difference? Hard to think Sony went out of their way for demo timed exclusivity with GoW3 around the corner. Is this going to be a reverse Bayonetta situation?

hermit7

Ze_Pershing said:
That seems very early. Isn't this coming out in March?

February according to OP. Interesting move overall by EA. Seems that they are looking to undercut the advantage that GoW3 may have.

Game and art style look fantastic nevertheless.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
What's with all the exclusive (timed or not) stuff on PSN recently?

It was annoying when 360 had most of it, but even with tables turned, it still irks me.
Oh well.

The silly marketing for this game has turned me off but the demo is the real test.

Danielsan

Visceral Games did an amazing job on the PS3 version of Dead Space so I'm at least fairly confident that both versions of this game will be on par.
I just hope the actual game is any good and not just a GoW rip off.

WaltJay

dallow_bg said:

Same thing happened with Bad Company 2, another EA property. And EA has been featuring the PS3 in their own ads lately. Someone needs to check Peter Moore's Xbox tatt and let him know what set he's suppose to claim!
or not :)

Owensboro

Man, I'm actually really excited for this game. Sure, it looks like a God of War ripoff, but how is that a bad thing? We're going to get two games like God of War in the same year? AND Bayonetta? Hell, sign me up. This is going to be a hella fun year for action games.

I just hope it IS as good as God of War. Pull another Dead Space EA!

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
captscience said:
Strange if the staggered release means Sony ponied up for co-marketing dollars considering they have GOWIII shortly after.
They might not want it to seem like a 360 competitor to GoW3.

Dante Alighieri said:
Midway upon the road of our life I found myself within a dark wood, for the right way had been missed. Ah! how hard a thing it is to tell what this wild and rough and dense wood was, which in thought renews the fear! So bitter is it that death is little more. But in order to treat of the good that there I found, I will tell of the other things that I have seen there. I cannot well recount how I entered it, so full was I of slumber at that point where I abandoned the true way. But after I had arrived at the foot of a hill, where that valley ended which had pierced my heart with fear, I looked on high, and saw its shoulders clothed already with the rays of the planet that leadeth men aright along every path. Then was the fear a little quieted which in the lake of my heart had lasted through the night that I passed so piteously. And even as one who with spent breath, issued out of the sea upon the shore, turns to the perilous water and gazes, so did my soul, which still was flying, turn back to look again upon the pass which never had a living person left.

http://pd.sparknotes.com/poetry/inferno/

Shai-Tan

Banned
dark10x said:
I disagree. QTEs are fantastic when used properly. They allow for dramatic, context sensitive actions to appear within the context of the gameplay without requiring a dedicated button. Some games do a very poor job with them, of course, but that doesn't mean they should be done away with.

The ones I dislike make it impossible to watch the cool animation because there are too many, too fast. The player ends up scanning for the next button rather than enjoy the action unfolding

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I used to like QTE, but the God 3 demo makes me think that I've kind of grown out of them.

panda21

god of war collection and bayonetta and god of war 3 and dante's inferno? truly, this is the age of.. whatever you call these games.

Goldrusher

Shai-Tan said:
The ones I dislike make it impossible to watch the cool animation because there are too many, too fast. The player ends up scanning for the next button rather than enjoy the action unfolding
I feel the same. It's usually the highlight of the battle, and you're scanning the screen for a QTE indication to pop up. There's just not enough time to not do that.

gcubed

i must say i've gone from "meh, not on my radar and not sure if i want to give it a chance" to "fuck it i like these games and am willing to see if it is worthwhile"

TheFallen

The timed-exclusive demo is sort of silly, but I assume they want to pick up sales for those gamers that refuse to buy multiple similar games around the same time. Oh well, I will be waiting at the gates to Hell come Dec 10th.

dallow_bg said:

It was annoying when 360 had most of it, but even with tables turned, it still irks me.
Oh well.

The silly marketing for this game has turned me off but the demo is the real test.
I agree, really weird. Will check it out though, DI and GOW3 both look insane.

KongRudi

Banned
WaltJay said:
Same thing happened with Bad Company 2, another EA property. And EA has been featuring the PS3 in their own ads lately. Someone needs to check Peter Moore's Xbox tatt and let him know what set he's suppose to claim!

In Bad Company's case, I don't think MS had room for beta in the timespan EA wanted a beta. On PS3 it's more up to the publisher, if it's going to be run a beta.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So what's the genre for this game? Is it more of a hack n slash like Devil May Cry or more of an RPG?

Can't wait for the demo so I can try it out. :)

AndyD

aka andydumi
WaltJay said:

Nah. In an interview the devs said they had a beta on 360 before with BFBC and this time they wanted to be fair and do it on PS3.

As to this game, who knows, but its likely that a GOW3 demo may come so they want to do this one ASAP to differentiate the two games somewhat.

Domino Theory said:
So what's the genre for this game? Is it more of a hack n slash like Devil May Cry or more of an RPG?

Half baked God of War. Hehehe. Just joking, i hope this game will be good because what they have in their hands are really great ( the book).

andycapps

Blah to exclusive demos and betas, but they have some convincing to do to get me to buy this. Seeing no reason at all to do so at this point.

ArjanN

Domino Theory said:

It's a God of War clone. That might sound harsh, but that's literally what it is.

Agyar

Looking forward to the demo, not because I'm looking forward to the game but more to meter it against the God of War 3 demo and see if it can hold its own (and is worth purchasing at all). After the horrible marketing and ridiculous interpretation of the source material, it had better beat God of War 3 at its own game, so to speak.

According to their twitter, the DI team are having a live video today and I guess you can send your questions through Twitter ( @danteteam ) and they might answer them. I think the video will be broadcast on their website around 4 EST/ 1 PST. So I guess if you have questions you can go ahead and send them in.

Top Bottom