• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno demo coming this month, hitting PSN first, XBL two weeks later

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
According to their twitter, the DI team are having a live video today and I guess you can send your questions through Twitter ( @danteteam ) and they might answer them. I think the video will be broadcast on their website around 4 EST/ 1 PST. So I guess if you have questions you can go ahead and send them in.
Someone innocently ask them what their primary inspirations for the gameplay were.

_tetsuo_ said:
Any idea when this is hitting PSN?

From what i remember (i never counted but) it usually updates around 18:00 turkish time here. So around 16:00 in UK i think, for european store of course.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I got to play this a month or so ago at GameX, and I was terribly unimpressed. In fact, I even managed to glitch the opening level to make it unbeatable. (According to the rep who was showing it to me.)

It seemed like the entire point of the game was for shock value, and the gameplay was simply lackluster. Then again, that's probably what's expected at this point.

JardeL

16htbhj.jpg

Dante’s Inferno: PS3 “Divine Edition”

Visceral Games, an Electronics Arts studio today announced Dante’s Inferno “Divine Edition” exclusive for the PlayStation 3.

In addition to the game, all those who purchase Dante’s Inferno on the PlayStation 3 will receive this special edition which includes developer commentaries, a Wayne Barlowe digital art book, the soundtrack to the game and a digital version of the complete Longfellow translation of Dante Alighieri’s Inferno all for the standard retail price of $59.99.
[ http://www.gamersdigest.net/4219/dante’s-inferno-divine-edition/ ] .

Bizarre that they're gunning so heavily for the PS3 market with this, given that on the 360 they wouldn't be competing with God of War 3, but perhaps for that reason they're assuming 360 sales will be fairly high regardless (which may be quite correct). I hope I like the demo because even if it's a clone, I enjoy the God of War formula enough so that if it's done well I'll like it even if I don't think it's particularly original.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
badcrumble said:
Bizarre that they're gunning so heavily for the PS3 market with this, given that on the 360 they wouldn't be competing with God of War 3, but perhaps for that reason they're assuming 360 sales will be fairly high regardless (which may be quite correct). I hope I like the demo because even if it's a clone, I enjoy the God of War formula enough so that if it's done well I'll like it even if I don't think it's particularly original.
It comes out before God of War III, yes? If that's the case, perhaps they are trying to pull in some sales from people are anticipating GoW and want a similar game beforehand?

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
This demo is gonna make or break it for me. Hopefully it can hold up.

I'll try out the demo when it releases since I enjoy God Of War enough. Haven't followed this game too much but maybe it'll be surprisingly enjoyable.

Keikoku

Banned
badcrumble said:

If they continue to screw 360 owners like this sales won't be that high. It's a dangerous strategy honestly, they should rely on 360 sales because competing God of war 3 like this will lead them nowhere, as it's a much bigger franchise anyway so it pretty much has no chance against it.

Keikoku said:
If they continues to screw 360 owners like this sales won't be that high. It's a dangerous strategy honestly, they should rely on 360 sales because competing God of war 3 like this will lead them nowhere, as it's a much bigger franchise anyway so it pretty much has no chance against it.
I wouldn't be so harsh as to call this screwing 360 owners. I doubt that they're so particularly interested in reading the Inferno that they'd boycott the game over it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
valentine71 said:
From what i remember (i never counted but) it usually updates around 18:00 turkish time here. So around 16:00 in UK i think, for european store of course.

Nope, the demo is exclusive to the US Store until December 24th. We poor Europeans will have to wait until then...

...or just download it tonight anyway, using our US PSN accounts.

badcrumble said:

Why not go where you know the fanbase is? It works with FPS, no reason it can't work with these types of games. For as much as people joke about how it's a GoW ripoff, if it's a good GoW ripoff then people are going to go for it.

RoadHazard said:
Nope, the demo is exclusive to the US Store until December 24th. We poor Europeans will have to wait until then...

:D filthy euros stop stealing our bandwith!
I'm not american either :lol

RoadHazard said:

it will come during the week in PAL stores.

Rad-

People are seriously thinking this is just EA's sole decision? I'm pretty sure this is purely that Sony is fighting back against MS with the same weapons, meaning multiplatform moneyhats.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I don't find the "screwing over" of the 360 fanbase odd at all. I mean it's not really screwing over anybody (the extras are pretty minimal) and the mindshare right now is with the PS3.

to be perfectly honest, this is NO DIFFERENT than last gen, where the de facto standard was PS2, but at about halfway through the gen marketing and such started pushing heavily towards xbox. it never changed that in most cases the PS2 outsold the xbox handedly on almost all multi-plat titles, but it made the titles seem more impressive that they were "catering" to the mindshare leader, which I think it would be pretty easy to argue that the PS3 is at this second.

Rad- said:
People are seriously thinking this is just EA's sole decision? I'm pretty sure this is purely that Sony is fighting back against MS with the same weapons, meaning multiplatform moneyhats.
possible... I would probably say, again, it's the same as last gen. a combination of moneyhats and the publishers leaning towards the current mindshare leader for marketing.

Neuromancer said:
The cross stitched directly onto Dante's chest is going a bit far.

As if the ashes of Kratos' dead family permanently altering his skin tone is any better. Ashes do not = melanin. (Or do they...?)

I just am curious what the demo is going to be. The E3/Comic-con demo? As for the exclusives, bummer that 360 isn't getting it but oh well. Not a big deal.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
slasher_thrasher21 said:
I just am curious what the demo is going to be. The E3/Comic-con demo? As for the exclusives, bummer that 360 isn't getting it but oh well. Not a big deal.

The demo is supposed to be the opening level of the game, leading up to the gates of Hell. So, no actual Hell, I'm afraid (at least that's what I've gathered).

in an interview kaz hirai last year said the were going to work with publishers in order to put at use the blu-ray in the ps3 by putting additional stuff in the disc (even not totally game related). i think this is the best example:

- developer commentaries
- a Wayne Barlowe digital art book
- the soundtrack to the game
- a digital version of the complete Longfellow translation of Dante Alighieri’s Inferno

this is called "divine edition" but it's a marketing stunt as it's the normal one (same retail price), but with added stuff not present in the 360 version in order to make greater use of the blu-ray.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Sony has been getting close with EA as of late. I definitely can see it souring 360 owners. More so since it comes at no extra cost, but that's the way the penny rolls. Nice to see Sony getting aggressive with 3rd parties too...even though I can't say I like exclusive content either.

I do admit though, the copy of Dante's Inferno intrigues me. :lol

Y2Kev said:
Have we learned anything more about the morality system?
From the demo i saw. I think it was either kill the unborn crawling fetus that came out of the tits of the giant naked lady(For more XP) or Give them a Pray to save them(For something else)

Yeah.....................

I'll definitely be downloading the demo once it comes out. Like GOWIII, they both look like games I can get a solid play through.

°°ToMmY°° said:
in an interview kaz hirai last year said the were going to work with publishers in order to put at use the blu-ray in the ps3 by putting additional stuff in the disc (even not totally game related). i think this is the best example:

- developer commentaries
- a Wayne Barlowe digital art book
- the soundtrack to the game
- a digital version of the complete Longfellow translation of Dante Alighieri’s Inferno

this is called "divine edition" but it's a marketing stunt as it's the normal one (same retail price), but with added stuff not present in the 360 version in order to make greater use of the blu-ray.

Yeah, great use of the Bluray. It's not because God of War III is right around the corner.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
°°ToMmY°° said:

I would buy this shit just for that.

Though, pref. the whole "divine comedy" not just Inferno.

BeeDog

That edition sounds fucking badass, just for the translation alone! I pray to God (pun intended?) it will be released in Europe as well.

Jonsoncao

Banned
ok my PS3's power is on @home, now I am at work, is there some way like xbox.com to add something to my download queue from the internet?

If PS3 version's graphics is superior(framerate more stable, etc) I certainly would buy that divine edition lol

BeeDog said:
That edition sounds fucking badass, just for the translation alone! I pray to God (pun intended?) it will be released in Europe as well.
:lol It seems to be the standard edition for the PS3, so Europe will probably get it as well. I'll grab the demo tonight and see if it's worth it though.

They know overall the 360 is going to sell probably more than the PS3 version, all they are doing is trying to boost the PS3 version sales especially with all the GoWIII comparisons and shit.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm surprised this isn't getting completely shit on. Terrible art, a complete rip off, and just all around boring-looking.

Nizz

I'm liking these special editions that are the same price as the standard version with extra stuff. Anxious to try out the demo for Dante's Inferno today.

Visceral did a great job with Dead Space so I'm sure the polish will be there. I also really like the God of War series, and if DI compares nicely I'll gladly jump on that Divine Edition.

Why are people complainig about PS3 getting exclusive stuff?

If anything PS3 owners have been the ones getting screwed the last 3 years, and this is from someone who primarily buys more games for his 360 than PS3.

People should be applauding EA for offering something they would normally charge 80 bucks for as a collectors edition.

This gives me a reason to buy the PS3 version.

BeeDog

omg rite said:
I'm surprised this isn't getting completely shit on. Terrible art, a complete rip off, and just all around boring-looking.

Completely, completely... this game has definitely gotten some heavy flak for its ripping. But I bet most people simply like the fact that the Dead Space devs are making this game.

omg rite said:

It's not getting completely shit on because it's made by Visceral Games. They've proven themselves with Dead Space, so people are at least going to give this a shot before writing it off.

ZeoVGM

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It's not getting completely shit on because it's made by Visceral Games. They've proven themselves with Dead Space, so people are at least going to give this a shot before writing it off.

Yes, they've shown they are a good developer. So it's disheartening that they would make a game that is one of the most blatant rip offs this or last gen.

Even if it's good, what is it doing that GoW didn't do? Why not do something a little more original if the developer is obviously capable of it?

knitoe

Call me crazy, but I am actually looking forward to this game more than GOW 3, have both pre-ordered. Never like Kratos character model. Here's great chance to play both demo.

Top Bottom