• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno demo coming this month, hitting PSN first, XBL two weeks later

Atrus

Gold Member
I'm of mixed reactions.

I thought that the demo was fairly mediocre with respect to trying to show us why we should invest in this franchise. While it's not a bad game in and of itself, it is extremely reminiscent of God of War but with tiny text and what looks to be a more complex upgrade tree.

With GoW III hitting in the same window it's hard to justify buying this campy clone at full price, but I will definitely pick up Dante's Inferno when it hits the bargain bin for the sheer absurdity of the experience. Considering the bizarre clusterfuck of themes within a 10 minute demo I'm curious to see how over the top the rest of the game gets. It's obviously rough around the edges, but I already kinda like it just for its unabashed high school level awesomestness. It's a hilarious "adaptation" of the source material.

Arde5643

shattyboombatty said:
my expectations before playing the demo were at about zero, but after I tried it I thought it was pretty fun. It's a complete god of war ripoff, but it was still pretty good.
So pretty fun, but not really "OH! SHIZNIT!" ?

Course, this might just be the demo's fault - probably better to wait for reviews - it's not like I'm short on games to play anyway. :)

I liked the demo. It's a blatant GOW clone but I find nothing wrong with that. It's not like there's a ton of them out there and this was a damn good one (based on the demo anyway). I'll be buying it just to see how crazy the game gets once you're in hell and I'm hopefull each of the 9 rings offers more than just an aesthetic change to each level.

Nothing in the demo offended my more than having to mash a button to drink from the fountains. Visceral, let the player just hold a button like GOW chests.

a Master Ninja said:
Nothing in the demo offended my more than having to mash a button to drink from the fountains. Visceral, let the player just hold a button like GOW chests.
^^^ This. Seriously, what's the fucking point of button mashing for these things?

Aaron

Winterblink said:
^^^ This. Seriously, what's the fucking point of button mashing for these things?
The absolve and punish was also incredible lame and tedious. They know they're supposed to be making this fun, right?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Words cannot adequately describe how terrible this demo is.

Dead chick boobs! Killing Death with his scythe ... made of spines! Extreme sewing! Laser crosses! Blood! More dead chick boobs!

...even Todd McFarland and Alice McGee would look at this and say, "Tone it down guys."

WanderingWind said:
Words cannot adequately describe how terrible this demo is.

Dead chick boobs! Killing Death with his scythe ... made of spines! Extreme sewing! Laser crosses! Blood! More dead chick boobs!

...even Todd McFarland and Alice McGee would look at this and say, "Tone it down guys."

I wonder what Rob Liefeld would say

WrikaWrek

Banned
With Mass Effect 2 coming out, and then Splinter Cell Conviction, i don't think i'm gonna be needing this shit.

I'll just get GOW3 to hold me over in the month that gaps those two.

Kittonwy

Banned
Aaron said:
The absolve and punish was also incredible lame and tedious. They know they're supposed to be making this fun, right?

Fundamentally they lack the understanding of what made GOW worked as an action game, it's not the mashing of buttons for the sake of mashing buttons, every button mash does satisfying cool shit and it's fuck easy.
KlintIndifference.gif

Yoshi256

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
Visually it is disappointing. Devil May Cry 4 looks better, runs at 60fps and came out in 08. That said, I don't think this opening area will look anywhere near as good as when you descend into Hell.

Dito, the graphics looks horrible and the art design is quite disappointing in the demo.
Reminds me on EAs Lord of the Rings RPG for PS2, that was also a total rip-off of a great game (Final Fantasy X).

roxya

Kittonwy said:
Fundamentally they lack the understanding of what made GOW worked as an action game, it's not the mashing of buttons for the sake of mashing buttons, every button mash does satisfying cool shit and it's fuck easy.
KlintIndifference.gif

Opening doors by mashing circle does not do anything satisfying or cool.

Haunted

Yoshi256 said:
Dito, the graphics looks horrible and the art design is quite disappointing in the demo.
Reminds me on EAs Lord of the Rings RPG for PS2, that was also a total rip-off of a great game (Final Fantasy X).
At least The Third Age was a damn competent clone. Final Fantasy X mechanics + a Lord of the Rings story running parallel to the movies made for a good (if unimaginative) experience.

Not so with Dante's Inferno - at least what I've played of it in the demo. It simply wasn't particularly fun to me. God of War mechanics (not quite nailed, to boot) + stupid don't amount to anything worthwhile.

DryvBy

My friend was saying how he is getting this day one. He's never played GOW. I can't finish the demo because it's such a clone, and not really bad, but I just don't feel like playing a clone for a new IP that much, unless it's going to just be completely new.

I'm thinking of telling my friend to just get GOW 3 instead and wait for Dante's...

Hah, wow. It was pretty cool. And I'm sure I'm cloning about 300 posts when I say this, but... are you even ALLOWED to clone another game to this extent? The controls are, what, 95% identical to God of War? How about riding that big beast thing, a-la cyclops? How about launching people in the air using Triangle?

This experience was magnified, because I played this demo literally right after playing the GoW III E3 demo.

:lol

Still, I think this might be a buy, as it was pretty good, and Visceral tend to know what they're doing.

comedian

Found it fun. Will buy, but not a full price (in general i try not to pay full price for any game apart from those I can't resist).

DryvBy

lethial said:
I liked it a lot. Sure better than Bayonetta.

Oh brother. I turned that Bayonetta game off after the 2nd wave of ugly angel beasts came along. That game was teh suckage.

DryvBy

lethial said:

Oh brother. I turned that Bayonetta game off after the 2nd wave of ugly angel beasts came along. That game was teh suckage.

slade

I liked that you could cancel out of an attack animation right into the block or roll. Can't do that in God of War. I'll definately get this if I don't OD on Bayonetta and Darksiders.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Haunted said:
At least The Third Age was a damn competent clone. Final Fantasy X mechanics + a Lord of the Rings story running parallel to the movies made for a good (if unimaginative) experience.

Not so with Dante's Inferno - at least what I've played of it in the demo. It simply wasn't particularly fun to me. God of War mechanics (not quite nailed, to boot) + stupid don't amount to anything worthwhile.
I really think the mashing at fountains is really just demonstrative of the whole not-getting-it.

Kittonwy

Banned
roxya said:
Opening doors by mashing circle does not do anything satisfying or cool.

Door is opened, you should be satisfied.

Doors aren't going to open by themselves, unless they're automatic doors.
Indifferent2.gif

Zertez

DryvBy2 said:
Can we say why we disagree with my claim to Bayonetta being a suckfest game? Other than the typical ..., which means "I have no reason but ..."
That is fine, but claiming a game is a suckfest, by playing less than 3 minutes of a demo is ... worthy. Especially considering when almost every person who has played the full game, ranks it near the top, if not the top for best game of all time in the genre.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Zertez said:
That is fine, but claiming a game is a suckfest, by playing less than 3 minutes of a demo is ... worthy. Especially considering when almost every person who has played the full game, ranks it near the top, if not the top for best game of all time in the genre.

Yes, but does Bayonetta have extreme sewing?

eznark

Banned
Played the demo last night. Game play is a lot of fun but my God, everything else is trash. My wife watched me play while reading a magazine and she could not stop laughing. Straight up embarrassment in terms of aesthetics and story. Soooo bad.

Game play was fun though.

I want to know how right analogue stick rolling became commonplace in these games. I know God of War did it, but surely the copycats had enough sense to realise that it sucked. You use the left analogue stick to move your character, so where's the logic behind using another stick to dodge? It isn't easier, it isn't quicker; it's stupid and I hate it. I thought 3D action game developers had got over it when I played Wolverine, but now here it is again.

It's like they think that they can balance out all the suck with enough boobies. Do you ever actually see Beatrice with her clothes on?

roxya

Kittonwy said:
Door is opened, you should be satisfied.

Doors aren't going to open by themselves, unless they're automatic doors.
Indifferent2.gif

Stupid argument and you know it :) I would say getting my health replenished is far more satisfying than seeing a door open!

helmehytte

Neo Member
after recently playing through GoW1 (PS3 Collectors) and seeing some videos on the demo for DI, I'm not sure they will be able to match the GoW feeling and nice controllers. I think DI will be a competent game, but nothing near the God of War series.

I don't like his weapon, I don't like the animation of his combo string, and the jumping heavy attack is useless and lacks power

I don't know; I just came off a marathon of playing Chains Of Olympus then playing both God of War games from the Collection + the God of War III demo

the QTE segments forced you to squint to make out the button; I hated that allot too

Binabik15

Nothing wrong with the demo, IMO. I liked the comic style cutscenes and the CGI scenes were quite impressive for a "clone" game. The story will probably have lots of laughs and gnarling heros, awesome :lol

Will buy this once it´s <20 pounds, but I do that with almost all games I buy.

ACE 1991

I don't know, I found it kind of fun to be honest. But after coming off of the God of War Collection, Dante just can't complete with Kratos.

lethial said:

Oh, without question. That steaming pile of overrated shite lost me after the first 20 minute(?!) cutscene and the endless J-Pop.

Inferno is looking sweet, Visceral. Fuck the hate and the haters. Kratos in the form of Dante gives the X360 some love.

I enjoyed the PS3 demo and will certainly pick it up...not sure for which box until I play the X360 demo.

This will definitely serve as a nice change of pace during my Mass Effect 2 breaks. :D

The demo was alot of fun! Key word is FUN! You know, what games are "supposed" to be about. Not all this random bullshit banter of " he copied GOW" blah,blah,blah. Guys sound like your in pre-school and your telling the teacher on another student!

Though the one thing. Too much boobs. I'm 26 not, 16. Then again, I'm guessing the 11 -16 crowd will eat this up. :lol

Top Bottom