• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno demo coming this month, hitting PSN first, XBL two weeks later

lethial

Reeeeeeee
pixel monkey said:
Oh, without question. That steaming pile of overrated shite lost me after the first 20 minute(?!) cutscene and the endless J-Pop.

Inferno is looking sweet, Visceral. Fuck the hate and the haters. Kratos in the form of Dante gives the X360 some love.

I enjoyed the PS3 demo and will certainly pick it up...not sure for which box until I play the X360 demo.

This will definitely serve as a nice change of pace during my Mass Effect 2 breaks. :D

Agree 100%.

I can see the moderately heavy Dante's Inferno marketing being a good way to pique the interest of people who haven't previously played much in the genre, which not coincidentally is probably the group who will like it the most. I'm hoping it'll be a good 'gateway drug' - the methadone to GoW's morphine, as it were, and to NG's amphetamines, DMC's crack, and Bayonetta's MDMA.

Zertez said:
Especially considering when almost every person who has played the full game, ranks it near the top, if not the top for best game of all time in the genre.

If the "genre" you're referring to is "Nonsensically Ridiculous and Repetitive Games With Overly Abundant Stereotypical Characters and a Giant Female Lead With a Tiny Head" then yes...Bayonetta is certainly at or near the top.

Congratulations, Sega?

inner-G

Banned
Pretty nice demo, but I only see myself buying more than one of the "God of War/Bayonetta/Dante's Inferno" games, and I don't think it will be this one.

bathala

Banned
I just played the GoW 3 demo from District 9, and just downloaded this demo too.

OMG the difference. GoW3 is a like a blockbuster movie while this is a direct to DVD

the CG is amazing though.

Neuromancer said:
Can we at least complain about the dialogue and character design then? Because, it's all pretty horrendous.

An opinion you're absolutely entitled to...that is, unless you're also going to espouse on the "brilliance" of the dialogue and character design of Bayonetta.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Neuromancer said:
Can we at least complain about the dialogue and character design then? Because, it's all pretty horrendous.

...he removed armor to show off his special Hell Merit Badge cross that he sewed into his own skin.

He shoots lasers out of a cross. He killed Death. With a giant bone.

pixel monkey said:
An opinion you're absolutely entitled to...that is, unless you're also going to espouse on the "brilliance" of the dialogue and character design of Bayonetta.
No... Although I do find Bayonetta hilarious, whether it was intentional or not.

I think among other issues Dante's Inferno falls into the trap of taking itself way too seriously.

RedRedSuit said:
Hah, wow. It was pretty cool. And I'm sure I'm cloning about 300 posts when I say this, but... are you even ALLOWED to clone another game to this extent? The controls are, what, 95% identical to God of War? How about riding that big beast thing, a-la cyclops? How about launching people in the air using Triangle?

Plagiarism is the industry standard. To full or lesser degree.

If you find it hard to think of an example: Guitar Hero.

kikanny

So I finally tried the demo. What a waste of my time. Since they copied everything from God of War, i cannot resist comparing it to GoW. The game looks bad and lacks the visual epicness of GoW. The script is just downright terrible and the characters' voices make me cringe. The character design just sucks ass. And what is with the whole CG, gameplay and 2D cut-scenes? Its just dis-orienting and dis-jointed. The story seems stupid. Some random guy stabs you in the back and next minute Death comes and wants you to take away. And all of a sudden, you're fighting Death. WTF?! it was just so bad that I couldn't stop laughing.

With regards to the game play and controls, its a carbon copy of GoW. But it lacks the punch and flair of the combos you get from Kratos. That whole Holy or Unholy thing is just unnecessary. The only good thing that's probably good in this game is that Cross attack. I liked that. Apart from that, this game is a disgrace. Not even going to buy it for 10 bucks.

aries_71

Enjoyed the demo. I never played GOW, so I had no idea it resembles it closely. I thought it was fun, and being a multiplatform game, it may end up selling more than the title is was based on. I will buy it, no doubt.

Zachack

Neuromancer said:
No... Although I do find Bayonetta hilarious, whether it was intentional or not.

I think among other issues Dante's Inferno falls into the trap of taking itself way too seriously.
You think it's taking itself seriously? You fight and kill Death. It's like the designers knew that they could never actually recreate Inferno without getting a lot of crap from literary critics (either actual or self-professed aka console warriors) so they made it as ridiculous and gratuitous as possible.

Zachack said:
You think it's taking itself seriously? You fight and kill Death. It's like the designers knew that they could never actually recreate Inferno without getting a lot of crap from literary critics (either actual or self-professed aka console warriors) so they made it as ridiculous and gratuitous as possible.

Don't forget the vaginas spewing killer lobster arms!

slade

roxya said:
Yeah, you can.

No you can't. Not in God of War or God of War 2 and going by the demo, not in God of War 3. You might be able to cancel into magic in the midst of an animation but you can't cancel directly into a block or roll like you can in Dante's Inferno.

Arhal_Katarn

I know i will get flamed for saying so but i prefered this demo to Bayonetta. Its a blatent rip of God of War but the demo was fun and left me wanting more. The Bayonetta demo just didn't impress me at all, i hated the main character the music was terrible and the enemies look like rejects from Devil May Cry.

sullytao

Finally played the demo yesterday and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Yes I know it is a more or less direct clone of gow but that doesn't matter to me. Aslong as it plays well then all is well. I really like the artstyle and the voice acting. I know they probably decimated the source material for the game but I'm digging the story aswell. Only complaint at the moment is the camera. When I was fighting the Grim Reaper I had trouble hitting him because it looked like I was closer to him than I actually was.

slade said:
No you can't. Not in God of War or God of War 2 and going by the demo, not in God of War 3. You might be able to cancel into magic in the midst of an animation but you can't cancel directly into a block or roll like you can in Dante's Inferno.

Only true of L1 specials in God of War 2. Play more games.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
And I have to say... wow. It feel so... mundane. There are some parts I liked (the beast you can ride reminded me of the best parts of Golden Axe Beast Rider, so... err...) but otherwise, yeah.

One thing that impressed me about Bayonetta, was that I felt that she was such a complete character, as soon as I started playing. And the more I played, the more I saw how insanely developed her fighting and skills where. Dante once again feels like one of those "nerfed for the sake of a solid character at late game" deals.

Watching death beg for his... life(?) was so silly. I think that moment really had me wishing that I was playing a Castelvania... it was just so... forced.

Man, is your character small, too. So underwhelming! He looked just as small and bleh as the enemies you fight at the games onset.

Beatrice's presentation through the whole thing was so... it feels like they where just facinated that women have breast! "Look, we ripped her top! Just because. She's not bloody, or messed over, but we DID expose a boob!" Eesh. I felt more juvenile playing this demo than most things I've played recently, lol.

So... yeah. Feels very by-the-numbers, I liked some part, but I don't think it's in the same league as Darksiders or Bayonetta. Just personal opinion, not trying to offend anyone! I was just expecting to be so much more impressed, after reading some of the opinions in this very thread...

Pachinko

I was wondering where this thread got off to.

Man some of you actually enjoyed this crap ? EA was nice enough to throw out a fairly lengthy sampler of the main game and good on them for that- it convinced me that it's this years CONAN(released awhile back on the xbox). Graphically it looks like an xbox1 game running in hires, the only model that's even slightly impressive looking is dante himself.

Gameplay wise it feels like a gimped god of war with an unnecessarily large movelist to add false depth.

It's just a total throw away game- something you rent and finish in a weekend then forget about. The type of product that critics give 5-7 out of 10 to that in a year no one will give a rats ass about.

Also the story, oh man, so ridiculous. I'm probably supposed to think dante is some sort of bad ass for sewing a cross into his own skin and instead I'm practically laughing my ass off. And then hurr hurr tittees everywhere. ugh.

as boring and pedestrian and wannabe edgy as I found the god of war games. I can't see how anyone would think that one of these is lame and one is cool. They're both tripe.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Finally played the demo on the weekend. I wish they told you about the nudity (or if they did tell you, make the warning more prominent) because the 'rents were in the room while I was playing and it was incredibly awkward, I had to come up with a bullshit conversation to make sure they don't pay attention to the TV and the 2 min titty show we got.

Other than that, it was fun, but a carbon copy of GOW. I mean there was nothing unique about the gameplay mechanics, it was a complete ripoff to the dot.

Massa said:
What do you mean? The game is called Dante's Inferno and the demo is called Gates of Hell, because that's the name of the level.
he means the demo is out now, not in two weeks...what do you mean?

Not bad, I mean fo a GoW copy inspired game, is decent enough, of course I can't think any reason to get this over Bayo, if you like the genre.

And people calling bayo offensive should look this, tits for the sake of tits.Hey look a dead woman!=tits, hey that soul is being depraved by Lucifer!= tits fondling, oh that soul nude body is being played by evil spirits!!= tits and moaning, hey look a cutscene showing the love of the protagonist!=tits. What a mature game....

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I am not sure but I think I enjoyed the Dante's Inferno demo alot more than the God of War 3 demo. I will still be buying both even though neither hold a candle to the greatness which is Bayonetta!! :D

Zachack said:
I know it's taking itself seriously. I think the developers thought what they were making was really cool and badass. Unfortunately it all comes off, to me anyway, as extremely forced and lame.

Kishgal

Banned
Just played it and thought it was pretty fun. It seems weird to see people say that it's an exact clone of God of War, and then proceed praise one and call the other crap. As a God of War fan, I'm happy to see another game with similar gameplay. Perhaps I'm more easy to please than most, though. I'll personally be happy to play Bayonetta, God of War 3, and this next year.

Relaxed Muscle said:
And people calling bayo offensive should look this, tits for the sake of tits.Hey look a dead woman!=tits, hey that soul is being depraved by Lucifer!= tits fondling, oh that soul nude body is being played by evil spirits!!= tits and moaning, hey look a cutscene showing the love of the protagonist!=tits. What a mature game....
Well, it is a God of War clone.

Finally played the demo, felt just as good as God of War to me. It's certainly a clone, but a quality clone nonetheless.

Neuromancer said:
I know it's taking itself seriously. I think the developers thought what they were making was really cool and badass. Unfortunately it all comes off, to me anyway, as extremely forced and lame.

"Extremely" forced and lame? Eh, I'm not seeing it. I don't think it's trying any harder to be edgy and cool than most other games in this genre. Different strokes I suppose.

Arhal_Katarn

Still not sure if i will buy it or not, i think i am fed up with the genre i didn't enjoy DMC4 and i didn't like the Bayo demo. Some parts where fun but i was expecting more from the team behind Dead Space. I like the fact that some random muslim stabs you and death comes for you and you refuse to die and instead fight death. I was laughing so much at the stupidity. It should have done it all slighty tongue in cheek instead of trying to make a stupid plot seem serious.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Played the demo, and while it certainly wasn't bad, it was a bit.. overtly cheesy, like playing a game based on a generic 80s heavy metal album cover with tits, demons and hellfire. Like, you fight Death. And kill him with his own scythe. Which is made of bones. It felt like a blatant GoW ripoff, sans the insane polish of the GoW games. I might get this just to play it as a warm-up to GoW III
which will most likely be superior in every way

Yeah... I'm not sure what to think about this game. It plays 'fine' as far as God of War clones go, but the difference between this and other God of War clones is that this plays and looks EXACTLY like God of War games (except this one is trying to be even more 'shocking' with all the nudity and whatever else).

Wolverine at least did some things different with the gameplay... shit, even Conan did.

But this? Right stick to dodge, O to grab, get a block just before an attack leaves the enemy open, etc. etc.

It's pathetic, really... I'll rent it but there's no way in hell I'm paying $60 for such a derivative game.

JdFoX187

Banned
Eh, seems too many people here are bitching about the game simply because it takes mechanics from a popular game in the same genre. Everyone that loves God of War should feel glad the game has reached a level of appreciation that other games look to it for inspiration.

I fairly enjoyed the demo, having played it on both the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. I'll pick it up on whichever system it runs better on. I don't give a shit what game it's a clone of, it's pretty damn fun. Besides, one of my favorite action games of this generation, Conan, was a "clone" as well.

i was surprised at how unimpressive the graphics were. Especially coming from the studio behind Dead Space. It just seems to be missing that extra layer of polish. Was looking forward to this when I only had a 360, and it would have made a great GoW-clone to fill that void, but now that I have a PS3 I can just go for the real thing.

People are picky or indifferent by playing this demo.

Not knowing ANYTHING of this game (though I have heard of it, never shown interest), I loved it. I was having fun. It feels like a GOW game but with it's own flavor. Mind you, I played the first GOW game and loved it back then. After the 360 came out in 2005, I turned my back on the old generation and never played the second GOW nor did I miss it.

And every developer steals from another developer, and sometimes they do it the right way. The day Dante's Inferno rolls into the store, I'll be there to grab me a copy.

G-Fex

I thought I'd really enjoy this. But after a cutscene so long that Kojima would say chill out. And god awful crappy animation. Then what..some minutes of gameplay interrupted by more animation tripe and story. Forget it.

...been playing the demo some more and what can I say man, I really am digging this. I guess it's a combination of love for Dead Space devs, visceral sound design, smooth combat/framerate (yeah visuals are bland, so what), and the completely absurd premise/world.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
after playing through the God of War Collection, it's really hard to go back to this, unfortunately.

I will probably check it out when it gets a price drop, but I can't justify spending full price on it when I just got a double-dose of God of War styled goodness executed in a better, more interesting way from a port of some PS2 games.

Flavius

Looks nice. Plays well.

I had a fun time with it on the 360 last night. Enough that I'm now planning on picking it up at or around launch.

X26

Banned
Wow, this is probably the most shameless ripoff I've ever played

Regardless, I enjoyed the demo. Cutscenes and dialouge made me cringe, but the gameplay was good fun.

Rad-

I downloaded this over a week ago but finally got to play it. Never been a fan of GoWish hack & slash and this didn't change a thing. Combat feels so lifeless after being spoiled by the Bayonetta demo.

There was one thing I enjoyed about the demo and that was the ridiculous story. I dig stuff like that. But that's about it.

JimiNutz

Banned
badcrumble said:
I can see the moderately heavy Dante's Inferno marketing being a good way to pique the interest of people who haven't previously played much in the genre, which not coincidentally is probably the group who will like it the most. I'm hoping it'll be a good 'gateway drug' - the methadone to GoW's morphine, as it were, and to NG's amphetamines, DMC's crack, and Bayonetta's MDMA.

This is probably applicable to me.
I briefly played God of War on a PS2 a couple years ago and thought it was kind of fun, but never really bothered to complete it.
I tried Ninja Gaiden and also enjoyed it but it started to get too hard for me.

Since I'm new to this genre I think Dantes Inferno will be a nice jumping on point for me as I enjoyed the demo (I only own a 360 or I'd probably play GOW3 instead).

Just played the demo. I guess we now know what God of War would be like if it wasn't polished or tested, and if the combat was more boring, and if it took itself completely seriously, and if the worst Deviantart troglodytes in the free world were told to animate the cutscenes.

Just basic things are not there; palette testing so the button prompts are not clashing with foreground action; unintuitive pole movements when the game they're ripping off did it better; inconsistent prompt timing.

Very very dissapointing considering the same group made some good strides in design with Dead Space.

Wolves Evolve said:
Just played the demo. I guess we now know what God of War would be like if it wasn't polished or tested, and if the combat was more boring, and if it took itself completely seriously, and if the worst Deviantart troglodytes in the free world were told to animate the cutscenes.

Just basic things are not there; palette testing so the button prompts are not clashing with foreground action; unintuitive pole movements when the game they're ripping off did it better; inconsistent prompt timing.

Very very dissapointing considering the same group made some good strides in design with Dead Space.
I find this pretty funny, as the combat is pretty much a mirror of GOW, GOW takes itself ridiculously seriously, and is just as over the top and cheesy as this game. People like you seem to have some kind of god of war blinders on that make you think one is high art and one is crap when they're both drivel.

Top Bottom