• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno demo coming this month, hitting PSN first, XBL two weeks later

elrechazao said:
I find this pretty funny, as the combat is pretty much a mirror of GOW, GOW takes itself ridiculously seriously, and is just as over the top and cheesy as this game. People like you seem to have some kind of god of war blinders on that make you think one is high art and one is crap when they're both drivel.

I wouldn't say they're both drivel (which to me says they aren't good or entertaining), but yeah, they both serve their purpose adequetly.

AgentOtaku said:
I wouldn't say they're both drivel (which to me says they aren't good or entertaining), but yeah, they both serve their purpose adequetly.
When I say drivel, I mean basically everything I've seen people saying about dante's inferno (and I carry no brief for this game) is exactly the same as gow. Over the top appealing to 13 year old violence? check. Gratuitous tits and sex minigames and all the rest of the juvenile stuff? check. I could go on and on.

My point is that anyone complaining about aesthetic and game design who says they like one of these games but not the other for that reason is an unflinching hypocrite :)

Well maybe I spoke poorly; I think God of War took itself way too seriously, and yes, I agree that they are both drivel. While I don't like God of War at all, not one iota, I thought they were very well designed games for what they were and exhuded game development polish. Dante's Inferno is what I didn't like of God of War, without the begruding respect I gave that series. Think of it as a vomit, but with me punching the toilet as well.

elrechazao said:
When I say drivel, I mean basically everything I've seen people saying about dante's inferno (and I carry no brief for this game) is exactly the same as gow. Over the top appealing to 13 year old violence? check. Gratuitous tits and sex minigames and all the rest of the juvenile stuff? check. I could go on and on.

My point is that anyone complaining about aesthetic and game design who says they like one of these games but not the other for that reason is an unflinching hypocrite :)
It's so shockingly similar that Sony Santa Monica should sue. I'm not kidding. It's straight up plagarism, so much so that it's a pretty good game! Only twice as naked and twice as tacky, if that's humanly possible.

Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
It's so shockingly similar that Sony Santa Monica should sue. I'm not kidding. It's straight up plagarism, so much so that it's a pretty good game! Only twice as naked and twice as tacky, if that's humanly possible.

I just don't get it really. Okay take some things and throw you spin on it, fine. But some of the shit I don't even like in GoW, so it makes it that much more aggravating to see it in here IE: Life/Mana chests, etc.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
At least GoW is schlocky pulp myth and doesn't pretend it's related to classic literature.

Dante's Inferno managed to insult both my literary and gaming sensibilities in one 40 min demo. Visceral should be fucking ashamed.

thetrin said:
At least GoW is schlocky pulp myth and doesn't pretend it's related to classic literature.

Dante's Inferno managed to insult both my literary and gaming sensibilities in one 40 min demo. Visceral should be fucking ashamed.
God of war shat all over classic greek mythology...amazing stories reduced to shitty sex minigames and laughable mythological interpretation. They're both cheesy action games, and it's hilarious that you think dante's inferno the game takes itself seriously as literature.

thetrin said:

Your ...insulted

c'mon man

elrechazao said:
God of war shat all over classic greek mythology...amazing stories reduced to shitty sex minigames and laughable mythological interpretation. They're both cheesy action games, and it's hilarious that you think dante's inferno the game takes itself seriously as literature.

exactly

EktorPR

How did this turn into a God of War hate thread? :lol

The God of War games are littered with great level design, solid gameplay and amazing moments. I dunno' what the hell you guys are talking about.

EktorPR said:
How did this turn into a God of War hate thread? :lol

The God of War games are littered with great level design, solid gameplay and amazing moments. I dunno' what the hell you guys are talking about.
It's not god of war hate. Imagine if you were in a discussion where someone was making fun of Armageddon the movie and calling it cheesy mindless shitty action, then they said in the same sentence that their favorite movie is Deep Impact?

Pots, kettles, and glass homeowners throwing stones.

Sydle

Blatant God of War rip-off, but fun none the less. The presentation leaves a lot to be desired, and somehow the story is worse than God of War. I'll rent it and hopefully finish it in a weekend.

thetrin said:

loooooool

MY LITERARY SENSIBILITIES

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
elrechazao said:
Visceral left copies of the divine comedy on every seat at a press event to show that they indeed were trying to follow the divine comedy closely.

Santa Monica made the equivalent of a Garth Ennis written adaptation.

There's a difference.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
elrechazao said:
It's not god of war hate. Imagine if you were in a discussion where someone was making fun of Armageddon the movie and calling it cheesy mindless shitty action, then they said in the same sentence that their favorite movie is Deep Impact?

Cheese is a fantastic food. Reheated and served in a 4 year old dish...not so much.

thetrin said:
Visceral left copies of the divine comedy on every seat at a press event to show that they indeed were trying to follow the divine comedy closely.

Santa Monica made the equivalent of a Garth Ennis written adaptation.

There's a difference.
What part of inspired by didn't you understand? It takes 30 seconds with the game to realize that they are in no way taking the material seriously. But you appear to be the only one who thinks they are. Keep digging, it's amusing at least :D

Manp

played the demo on PS3 and i liked it.

they took a lot of inspiration from GoW (ok, i can't keep a straight face while saying so :lol ) and the setting seems at least interesting, and from the videos they released, quite well done, so what's wrong about that? i like GoW and, even if probably no as much, i think i'm going to like Dante's Inferno.

people on gaf seems to buy and enjoy crappy games and ugly shovelware. yet this game that seems to be an at least solid experience get the shaft for trying to copy GoW but not being as good? i don't think Dante's Inferno needs to be better than GoW to be worth checking out.

just my 2c...

:)

Manp said:
played the demo on PS3 and i liked it.

they took a lot of inspiration from GoW (ok, i can't keep a straight face while saying so :lol ) and the setting seems at least interesting, and from the videos they released, quite well done, so what's wrong about that? i like GoW and, even if probably no as much, i think i'm going to like Dante's Inferno.

people on gaf seems to buy and enjoy crappy games and ugly shovelware. yet this game that seems to be an at least solid experience get the shaft for trying to copy GoW but not being as good? i don't think Dante's Inferno needs to be better than GoW to be worth checking out.

just my 2c...

:)

Yep Yep ...hell this might even catch gents off guard but it's solid quality ala Dead Space (which I'm currently replaying) even though people shat on it a bit for being an RE clone.

HYDE

Banned
People also seem to have forgotten that Sony Santa Monica personally wished the Dante's Inferno team luck, as a part of the DI team is from the original God of War team.
Both games are great, let them co-exist.
I loved the Castlevania similarities as well(such as the fight with Death).
Bayonetta/Castlevania/Dante'sInferno/Darksiders/GodofWarIII/etc...those of us action/adventure gamers have a lot to look forward to.

EDIT: the interview is Stig Asmussen with CVG about competition from Dante's Inferno.
He mentions everything that I have said.

HYDE said:
People also seem to have forgotten that Sony Santa Monica personally wished the Dante's Inferno team luck, as a part of the DI team is from the original God of War team.
Both games are great, let them co-exist.
I loved the Castlevania similarities as well(such as the fight with Death).
Bayonetta/Castlevania/Dante'sInferno/Darksiders/GodofWarIII/etc...those of us action/adventure gamers have a lot to look forward to.

EDIT: the interview is Stig Asmussen with CVG about competition from Dante's Inferno.
He mentions everything that I have said.

Cool, got a link?

Ardorx

Banned
Paco said:
Blatant God of War rip-off, but fun none the less. The presentation leaves a lot to be desired, and somehow the story is worse than God of War. I'll rent it and hopefully finish it in a weekend.

How do I see the full story in the DI demo? Cheat code?

elrechazao said:

Except that Deep Impact is less stupid than Armageddon, just as God of War is less stupid than this game. Maybe not by much, but enough that I wouldn't mind playing the one and I'd rather eat glass than play the other.

Anyway, there's no rule that says, if 'A' and 'B' are somewhat similar, then we can't have differing opinions about them.

HYDE

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Cool, got a link?

I don't know how yet, but I just typed playstation lifestyle stig asmussen in google search and bam! It is cool to see developers uplift one another instead of tear down.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
elrechazao said:
That's pretty funny. It's like saying one piece of shit smells better than another.

I have noticed that occasionally my shit smells better than usual. The smell of a freshly laid cable is one of the finer pleasures in life, don't you think?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
elrechazao said:
My point is that anyone complaining about aesthetic and game design who says they like one of these games but not the other for that reason is an unflinching hypocrite.
this is easily the dumbest thing in this thread, by a wide margin

go play God of War 2 (or 1 for that matter), and then play the Dante's Inferno demo, and come back here and try and post that sentence with a straight face. boring, blocky art style, rudimentary, simple combat areas, and combat that gives even less feedback to the player, that's Dante's Inferno.

God of War isn't Bayonetta when it comes to core combat mechanics, but Dante's Inferno, if nothing else, shines a spot-light on just how talented the team in Santa Monica are.

you either haven't played God of War 1 or 2, or you haven't played them in a long time.

Nemesis_

Rez said:

go play God of War 2 (or 1 for that matter), and then play the Dante's Inferno demo, and come back here and try and post that sentence with a straight face after playing through a game with boring, blocky art style, rudimentary, simple combat areas, and combat that gives even less feedback to the player.

God of War isn't Bayonetta, but Dante's Inferno, if nothing else, shines a spot-light on just how talented the team in Santa Monica are.

you either haven't played God of War 1 or 2, or you haven't played them in a long time.
No. Although I do run risks at being a hypocrite as I am a huge Bayonetta fan (which has a much more peculiar artistic direction than God of War).

Rez said:

go play God of War 2 (or 1 for that matter), and then play the Dante's Inferno demo, and come back here and try and post that sentence with a straight face after playing through a game with boring, blocky art style, rudimentary, simple combat areas, and combat that gives even less feedback to the player.

God of War isn't Bayonetta, but Dante's Inferno, if nothing else, shines a spot-light on just how talented the team in Santa Monica are.

Yep, pretty much. The most apt comparison isn't Armageddon to Deep Impact (both were developed simultaneously and of roughly equal shit quality), but Indiana Jones (also totally unoriginal, but excellent use of pulp aesthetics and tropes and polished as hell with excellent art design) to The Mummy (obviously trying very hard to be Indiana Jones, but with horrid art and generally a much more embarrassingly retarded experience).

Rez said:

That's a nice opinion, but mine is more valid than yours, because it was originated in my brain and is therefore superior. I actually just played through gow 2 a few weeks ago on my ps3 (ps2 version) after buying it for 5 bucks to get ready for enjoyable action games that are coming up.

Anyone saying that game is a work of art while dante's inferno is tripe must have had a total frontal lobotomy.

elrechazao said:
Anyone saying that game is a work of art while dante's inferno is tripe must have had a total frontal lobotomy.
Dude just give it a rest.

AgentOtaku said:
For shits n' giggles I preordered it via Gamestop as it came with a Neca figure, which I'm a sucker for =P
I must say I'm pretty interested in the Isaac Clarke one, not sure if it ever got released or not though.

ghostmind

Played both the 360 and PS3 demos. Seemed about the same, though my hand was cramping up a bit with the 360 controller - I must not be used to that type of game with the 360 pad.

Neuromancer said:
I must say I'm pretty interested in the Isaac Clarke one, not sure if it ever got released or not though.

It did, I'm actually gonna order both the "Bloodied" and "Standard" ones on eBay.

51ros1D6kAL._SS500_.jpg

Yeah, NECA puts out some good shit for decent prices. Certainly usurped McFarlane Toys awhile ago in my eyes.

Hmm, when I finished the demo all I did was laugh about how much it ripped off of GOW. But it's solid game in it's own right, however compared to GOW, Santa Monica's game just looks and plays more refined and is more exciting to me. I'm also completely uninterested in the main character, the world, and what the point of it all seems to be. But this will be an alright action game for anyone in need of a fix that has exhausted all of the other obvious options.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
elrechazao said:
That's a nice opinion, but mine is more valid than yours, because it was originated in my brain and is therefore superior. I actually just played through gow 2 a few weeks ago on my ps3 (ps2 version) after buying it for 5 bucks to get ready for enjoyable action games that are coming up.

riiiiight. well, I'll be over here with my credibility, and you can stay over there in the condescending prick corner with your inexplicably shitty opinions

elrechazao said:
The God of War defense forces won't leave the thread alone, what can I say.
Honestly I'm not that crazy about God of War either. But your reasoning is terrible, let me see if I can sum it up:

I don't like God of War.
I don't like Dante's Inferno.
Therefore, they are both terrible and anyone who likes one over the other is an idiot.

Correct me if I'm wrong. And yes they both have boobs, violence and and uberdudebro protagonists, but I happen to think GOW pulls it off a lot better.

Kittonwy

Banned
elrechazao said:
I find this pretty funny, as the combat is pretty much a mirror of GOW, GOW takes itself ridiculously seriously, and is just as over the top and cheesy as this game. People like you seem to have some kind of god of war blinders on that make you think one is high art and one is crap when they're both drivel.

You can clearly tell they were modelling Dante's Inferno after God of War. It's just how they did everything in the demo, there just wasn't that visceral impact when it comes to the moves and the environments were all sorts of bland.

Umm... Can we stop discussing GoW in this thread? Please? :p

Yes, it's a GoW ripoff. But hey, it's GoW for multi-consoles! We know it's a ripoff and I'm sure we can end the discussion there... but then again, won't that kill this thread? :p

MacBosse said:
I'm going to do what pro GAFers doesn't seem to be able to ... enjoy both Gow 3 and Dante's Inferno!

Seriously. 4 very high quality action/action adventure games coming out in the first 4 month of the year make me a happy gamer.

Top Bottom