• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno demo coming this month, hitting PSN first, XBL two weeks later

shrug, the familiar gow defense forces can't stay out of the thread, that's not my problem. An action game? STIMULUS RESPONSE IT'S NOT GOW - GO ATTACK.

Keep it up dudebros

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
elrechazao said:
shrug, the familiar gow defense forces can't stay out of the thread, that's not my problem. An action game? STIMULUS RESPONSE IT'S NOT GOW - GO ATTACK.

Keep it up dudebros

Now now, the game isn't going to suck ass simply because it's not GoW :lol

Seriously, the game should provide for a decent enough experience, but there's no denying that Dante's is

a) a shameless GoW ripoff

b) lacking the insane polish of the GoW games, especially the graphics are kinda meh

c) even cheesier and more over the top dudebroish than the GoW games in terms of tits and 80s heavy metal imagery. It doesn't seem to have as much extreme graphic violence as the GoW games though. I think the Dante's demo spent more time showing me tits than GoW I and II in their entirety combined did.

If you have only a 360, the game should be a fine replacement for GoW III, but if you happen to have a PS3, I really can't see any reason to get Dante's over GoW III.

Just played the Xbox 360 demo today, and I have to say it's a solid and technically competent take on the other franchise.

I actually prefer what I've seen in this demo to that other game, but how dare I suggest such a thing.

Only gripe would be the environmental lighting, looks off.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Opus Angelorum said:
Just played the Xbox 360 demo today, and I have to say it's a solid and technically competent take on the other franchise.

I actually prefer what I've seen in this demo to that other game, but how dare I suggest such a thing.

Only gripe would be the environmental lighting, looks off.
there's nothing wrong with that. no one [sane] is going to attack you for having a well-articulated opinion. just don't be an incoherent douche and you'll be fine. =p

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Played the *TITS* demo and despite *TITS* it looking *TITS* nice and having great *TITS* art direction it is an incredibly *TITS* stupid and adolescent *TITS* game. The fighting mechanics are ok but the constant "press X to see TITS" really destroyed the pacing.

Bayonetta is off my list and now this. That leaves GOWIII and Darksiders. Hopefully they won't be so crassly offensive.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
spoiler: God of War 3 will have *TITS* and they'll offend your sensibilities and make you question your beliefs. avoid at all costs.

Can't say I was hugely impressed by the demo, it felt really by-the-numbers.
Some of the visuals effects looked quite poor too, the flames that keep you in the graveyard is a damning one that leaps to mind (I realise the demo is probably not the "final" build).

Zeouterlimits said:
Can't say I was hugely impressed by the demo, it felt really by-the-numbers.
Some of the visuals effects looked quite poor too, the flames that keep you in the graveyard is a damning one that leaps to mind (I realise the demo is probably not the "final" build).

Seems 60 frames per second comes at a price. And while this is true, I'm still mildly interested in the game. Now, whether it will be a day one pick up or not remains to be decided.

elrechazao said:

Keep it up dudebros

I don't get it either. I'll start by saying I'm not a huge fan of this genre, I did enjoy the GOW games, but I never got into any of the DMCs or Ninja Gaiden. Having played this and the Bayonetta demo, I enjoyed Inferno more, but I can't really seeing myself purchasing either till the price point hits 20$ or so.

I cannot fathom how someone who likes GOW wouldn't like this game. Is platform or license love truly this blind?

TheUglyDrunk said:
I don't get it either.

I cannot fathom how someone who likes GOW wouldn't like this game. Is platform or license love truly this blind?
Because some people have different tastes than you? Hard to believe, I know!

Neuromancer said:
Because some people have different tastes than you? Hard to believe, I know!

Not really what I was getting at.... Do people hate it cause it isn't Kratos? If they swapped in his character model would the game suddenly become awesome?

Sorry, pretty new to GAF, and INTERNET RAGE is still a fairly mystical concept to me.

That's interesting, I haven't seen any rage here. Just people talking about a game, some of whom think it's pretty stupid or derivative, and some of whom think it's OK. Feel free to blow it up and make it into some kind of console fanboy war though.

Shiggy

Seems the game is already finished...the German USK rated the game in early December, they test final or nearly final builds.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
TheUglyDrunk said:
I don't get it either. I'll start by saying I'm not a huge fan of this genre, I did enjoy the GOW games, but I never got into any of the DMCs or Ninja Gaiden. Having played this and the Bayonetta demo, I enjoyed Inferno more, but I can't really seeing myself purchasing either till the price point hits 20$ or so.

Because it's a cheap dime a dozen clone, that does nothing as good as GOW?

I played the demo for this and the GOW3 demo last night. Let me first say that I played and finished both GOW games but the whole genre isn't my favorite. They are good games but waited until each hit $20 before biting.

I have to say that while both look like good games I enjoyed the demo for Inferno more. The reason for this is that the GOW3 demo just felt like more of the same, so familiar, whereas the Inferno demo, while surely a GOW "clone", was at least a little different than what I had played before with a different look and mechanics. Both look confident enough in the graphics department but neither really bowled me over either.

Since I'm not a huge fan of the genre I'll probably wait until both hit bargain pricing but I was pleasantly surprised by Inferno's quality since I had heard a lot of ugly things about the demo. I now attribute that to people hating it because it's such a "rip-off" or other reasons that have little to do with the actual game.

MacBosse

FTWer said:

You know, Gow could use a healthy amount of competition. And lets not judge the whole game just yet ...

I thought the demo was great (minus the awkward stabbing of Dante). My money is on Visceral, I don't think they will let me down.

MacBosse said:
You know, Gow could use a healthy amount of competition. And lets not judge the whole game just yet ...

I thought the demo was great (minus the awkward stabbing of Dante). My money is on Visceral, I don't think they will let me down.

I'm telling you, there is going to be alot of crow eaters in here who are judging this strictly off a demo that shows none of hell... REPEAT NONE OF HELL. And those moments were awesome in the demo I played at Comic Con!

EXGN

Shiggy said:
Seems the game is already finished...the German USK rated the game in early December, they test final or nearly final builds.

Makes sense, usually the last month or two the final build is sent out to be pressed and packaged for the release. Most retailers get games in well before the street date.

JBuccCP

Got around to playing this after I downloaded it when it came out. I thought it was pretty good. Chains of Olympus is the only God of War game I've played so I can't say I'm a huge fan of the series, but Inferno seems like a good clone to me. It looks pretty bad in spots (The in-engine shots of the girl looked like complete ass) but the combat flowed well enough, once you got the scythe anyway.

Macmanus

Neuromancer said:
That's interesting, I haven't seen any rage here. Just people talking about a game, some of whom think it's pretty stupid or derivative, and some of whom think it's OK. Feel free to blow it up and make it into some kind of console fanboy war though.

Are you parodying yourself?

FTWer said:

All this from a fifteen minute demo? Go google myopia.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I don't see how anyone can say it's not a God of War ripoff but it does look like a good game. I enjoyed the demo, it plays well with the scythe/cross combo. I am definitely going to pick it up. The graphics, IMO, aren't as nice as the GOW 3 demo (lighting, modeling, facial animation, Kratos looks friggin fantastic) but still looks good and we'll hopefully see better looking stages in both games once they come out.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm surprised people liked the demo. Came in expecting more negativity.

I'll probably play it when it hits 10.

<------- hasn't played any GoW game for more than an hour

ZeoVGM

Banned
Witchfinder General said:
Played the *TITS* demo and despite *TITS* it looking *TITS* nice and having great *TITS* art direction it is an incredibly *TITS* stupid and adolescent *TITS* game. The fighting mechanics are ok but the constant "press X to see TITS" really destroyed the pacing.

Bayonetta is off my list and now this. That leaves GOWIII and Darksiders. Hopefully they won't be so crassly offensive.

Well I can't imagine why Bayonetta is off your list, so maybe this game is in fact good.

But I just played the demo and it defines mediocrity. It's a God of War clone that does nothing as well as God of War. The fighting isn't as rewarding, the art is generic and boring, and the whole "lol hay look tits" thing gets old fast. Nudity is fine, but it feels like they just felt like they were supposed to put lots of nudity into the game. It's pointless and distracting.

Of course that would be fine if the gameplay didn't feel so bland. Especially after playing the Bayonetta demo which was just fantastic.

Just played the 360 demo and I'm really in the middle on this one. Graphically, it's all over the place, with some really nice stuff like Death's clothing animations, and then some really bland, generic stuff like the outdoor grassy scene. The combat is good. The material it's drawing from is definitely interesting...But I can't shake the feeling that I'm playing a God of War rip off. I mean even the quick-time events are straight from God of War. Depending on the kind of reviews this gets, and what else is coming out around the time it releases I may or may not check it out.

What a mixed bag. The combat starts dry as hell, but once you unlock the magic/scythe/cross dynamic it's rather fun. Except the excorcism shit seems to break the counter ability, what the fuck. And the constant MASH THE BUTTON shit is so annoying. Game has ugly ass environments, but the cutscenes and primary characters look great. Except the ugly ass titties.

The upgrades looked cool though, I dug the cheesy stupid plotline, and some of those areas in the finale video seemed legitemately cool. At the very worst it can't be as bad as DMC4...

Gattsu25

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Especially when you get the charge beam, even the goat dudes became cake when you used it.
The first large fight after you get the cross, just stand still and constantly mash the O/(B on 360?) button. Don't touch the analog stick or any other button.

I almost reached a combo chain of 200 just by doing that.

NG28

Witchfinder General said:
Yes, but are they veiny, undead tits?

"Virgil, my eyes are up here"

Have you ever played GoWII long enough to fight
Clotho
. That is 10x worse than anything in this demo. I don't understand how people rip on this game for it but don't mind it in GoW.

Why are so many people saying "Well 360 owners have nothing better to play, get this!"

I played the demo, the combat is a shallow joke compared to even the limited Bayonetta demo (you can beat the first boss by standing in the middle of the arena and just alternating between LT and X/Y), and the art direction isn't anywhere near as nice as Darksiders, which deals with similar subject matter.

I didn't find the nudity to be gratuitous, there's only really two scenes with breasts and it makes sense in context (she's a naked ghost, OMG those edgy bastards).

Thus far it's a C-tier game, even on MS' box, and if I bought it would only be to see where the story goes, as I find the source material fascinating and seeing it realized in 3D might be fun.

KevinCow

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
the art direction isn't anywhere near as nice as Darksiders, which deals with similar subject matter.

To be fair, this is the very beginning of the game. You haven't even gotten into Hell yet. If you want to see the game's art direction truly shine, watch some of the developer diaries, particularly the ones detailing the different circles of Hell.

I also find the art in Darksiders much more appealing, but that's mainly because Dante's Inferno is setting out to be as horrible and fucked up as possible, and it, uh, succeeds.

I didn't find the nudity to be gratuitous, there's only really two scenes with breasts and it makes sense in context (she's a naked ghost, OMG those edgy bastards).

The nudity in the demo isn't bad. Just a few tits.

One of the more bothersome uses of tits comes later in the game,
in Lust, where you fight a giant naked undead chick who shoots smaller enemies from her nipples.

KevinCow

Banned
Having finally played the demo, a few thoughts:

- It does a better job at being a God of War clone than any other game I've played. And I mean that in both a positive and negative way. The combat's just as fun as God of War's, but at the same time it feels like it lacks its own unique identity. The only thing it does differently from God of War is the cross, which honestly wasn't very useful. I tried unsuccessfully to integrate it into my combo several times.

- Combo time is much more lenient than in God of War - and that's a good thing. One of my biggest gripes about God of War is how strict it is about that, so getting a good combo is pretty hard. In Dante, I think they balanced it pretty well. You're encouraged to move about to keep your combo up, but you have a couple seconds of leniency if you need to, say, get to a guy on the other side of the room.

- Small text. Developers still haven't learned that some people still play in SD, apparently, so I couldn't read shit.

Overall it was fun and made me interested in the full game, but the small text alone means I won't be playing it until either they patch it or I get an HDTV. And I'm not planning on going HD any time soon. Or I guess if they fixed it between now and release, but I doubt that's going to happen.

KevinCow said:
One of the more bothersome uses of tits comes later in the game,
in Lust, where you fight a giant naked undead chick who shoots smaller enemies from her nipples.
I wasn't aware that bothersome was a synonym of awesome

i just got round to playing this on the PS3 and had a blast. The combat, the cross-eyed bit, the
bewbs
.The cutscenes are insanely good and unlike others I like the combination of the cartoon and CGI bits. One thing that particularly perturbed me though was the sloppy method in which the title character was
killed
. He effortlessly mauls all those guys just prior and then got a sly
stab in the back
just seconds later? I'm hoping its just rough editing for the sake of a short demo but considering the original material they can do better than that.

Otherwise i have high hopes for this and considering the praise GOW gets on here in comparison i might try that too.

BluWacky

Apologies if this has been answered already, but are the Holy/Unholy powers supposed to have a moral consequence a la WRPGs or is it just an over-complicated levelling system? I'm a goody-two-shoes so in the demo I just powered up Beatrice's Cross as much as possible...

Anyway, have just played the 360 demo. It's got some nice touches - I particularly like the "crumbling" effect as the church gives way to hell, and I really like the Cross as a weapon (the scythe isn't all that interesting IMO) - but it's unfortunate that the game is so similar to GOW in the way it plays.

I suppose it has the dubious benefit of a totally incoherent plot at this stage, I guess reading the book probably doesn't help much...

The main thing I thought was why on earth would someone stitch a Crusader cross into their chest? Dante's design is so strange; I guess having him bare-chested is meant to make him more badass, but to sew stitches into your nipples like that seems a bit extreme, especially if you're going to wear all the rest of your armour except the bit that's the most protective.

roxya

NG28 said:
Clotho
. That is 10x worse than anything in this demo. I don't understand how people rip on this game for it but don't mind it in GoW.

12-clotho.jpg

:lol

yuck :(

KevinCow

Banned
BluWacky said:
Apologies if this has been answered already, but are the Holy/Unholy powers supposed to have a moral consequence a la WRPGs or is it just an over-complicated levelling system? I'm a goody-two-shoes so in the demo I just powered up Beatrice's Cross as much as possible...

I think it'll have different endings, but other than that I don't think it'll change much. Outside of having different abilities, of course.

I suppose it has the dubious benefit of a totally incoherent plot at this stage, I guess reading the book probably doesn't help much...

The main thing I thought was why on earth would someone stitch a Crusader cross into their chest? Dante's design is so strange; I guess having him bare-chested is meant to make him more badass, but to sew stitches into your nipples like that seems a bit extreme, especially if you're going to wear all the rest of your armour except the bit that's the most protective.

I thought the story so far made sense. Dante was in the Crusades, and did some pretty horrible shit under the impression that he was basically immune since it was in the name of god or whatever. Some guy sneaks up and kills him, and Death appears and says, "Hey Dante, you were an asshole so you're pretty much fucked." Then Dante says, "Fuck that," and kills Death, which pisses off the devil/Lucifer/Satan/whatever, who goes and steals Beatrice's soul. Hence Dante's journey into Hell to get her back.

As for sewing the cross into his chest, I think they said in one of the developer diaries that it was sort of his personal atonement for his sins, or whatever.

Chrange

Banned
NG28 said:
Clotho

Literary sensibilities.

KevinCow said:
I think it'll have different endings, but other than that I don't think it'll change much. Outside of having different abilities, of course.

I thought the story so far made sense. Dante was in the Crusades, and did some pretty horrible shit under the impression that he was basically immune since it was in the name of god or whatever. Some guy sneaks up and kills him, and Death appears and says, "Hey Dante, you were an asshole so you're pretty much fucked." Then Dante says, "Fuck that," and kills Death, which pisses off the devil/Lucifer/Satan/whatever, who goes and steals Beatrice's soul. Hence Dante's journey into Hell to get her back.

As for sewing the cross into his chest, I think they said in one of the developer diaries that it was sort of his personal atonement for his sins, or whatever.

No, this is dumb.

Lucifer is kind of a pussy in the Divine Comedy. They better not make him the final boss of this game or I swear....

BluWacky

KevinCow said:

I get that Dante did some bad stuff - it seems clear that he screwed around at least, breaking his promise to Beatrice. I'm still a bit confused as to how, aside from badassery, one can "kill" Death (and not have it royally fuck up everyone else dying worldwide), but I don't know whether that's overthinking it or whether this will be addressed.

Also, doesn't Beatrice say "I have to go. I promised him." to the shade that takes her soul? Presumably she's not exactly pure as the driven snow either...

My main reason for thinking the story is a bit incoherent is the way it's told, at least in the demo. Dante's assassination feels like it comes out of nowhere, Death (as mentioned) can apparently <i>die</i>...

I think I'd have liked the storytelling better if the opening text crawl had established the theology on which the game is based more clearly. Without wishing to flog a dead horse, I think the original God Of War does a very good job of setting up who Dante is, why he is the way he is etc. quite quickly, as well as giving us the basics of how the gods work, the setting etc. Now of course most people know what Dante's Inferno is in its original form, but I just felt like I wanted a bit more background about souls being dragged to Hell or whatever; I like proper context with my naked floating soul women and zombie hacking, clearly.

Chrange

Banned
BluWacky said:
I get that Dante did some bad stuff - it seems clear that he screwed around at least, breaking his promise to Beatrice. I'm still a bit confused as to how, aside from badassery, one can "kill" Death (and not have it royally fuck up everyone else dying worldwide), but I don't know whether that's overthinking it or whether this will be addressed.

Mort takes over.

Top Bottom