• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno demo coming this month, hitting PSN first, XBL two weeks later

BluWacky said:
God Of War does a very good job of setting up who Dante is, why he is the way he is etc. quite quickly, as well as giving us the basics of how the gods work, the setting etc.

:lol

KevinCow

Banned
Ah, okay, I see what you mean now. And yeah, I agree, a lot of stuff is pretty vague. Maybe it becomes more clear in the full game.

Though I think the, "I have to go, I promised him," thing was intentionally vague, probably to set up for some reveal later on.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Playing the DI demo again I have to agree the gameplay has no identity, not that it blatantly copies god of war but does not provide that visceral impact that the God of War game has. X-men origins: Wolverine had that visceral impact in its gameplay. The moment you lunged into someone claws first or in God of War rip someone in half with you bare-hands, Dante's Inferno doesn't really have this. I'm assuming Visceral Games will try and go for the shock factor and see how many gory, weird, insane looking monster they can throw at Dante but in the end the gameplay probably would not be as satisfying, but I could be wrong since this is just a demo. I'll admit the cross weapon is a pretty cool projectile weapon, however overall I am disappointed in the character design and characterization of Dante the protagonist and the gameplay of the demo. I think I will still buy this game but I will wait for a price drop or if the game gets some good reviews.

neojubei said:
Playing the DI demo again I have to agree the gameplay has no identity, not that it blatantly copies god of war but does not provide that visceral impact that the God of War game has. X-men origins: Wolverine had that visceral impact in its gameplay. The moment you lunged into someone claws first or in God of War rip someone in half with you bare-hands, Dante's Inferno doesn't really have this. I'm assuming Visceral Games will try and go for the shock factor and see how many gory, weird, insane looking monster they can throw at Dante but in the end the gameplay probably would not be as satisfying, but I could be wrong since this is just a demo. I'll admit the cross weapon is a pretty cool projectile weapon, however overall I am disappointed in the character design and characterization of Dante the protagonist and the gameplay of the demo. I think I will still buy this game but I will wait for a price drop or if the game gets some good reviews.
You said visceral impact in a non ironic way. Commence laughter.

elrechazao said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6dNIimDDus&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siuWZxDMGnk

watch

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
elrechazao said:

Not sure what you are trying to pull here, dude. I'm hoping the full game is better than the demo. I've had my eye on this game for a while. I've downloaded most if not all of the developer's diaries on Euro PSN. The DI demo didn't really capture me as much as the God of War 3 demo and Wolverine game.

neojubei said:
Not sure what you are trying to pull here, dude. I'm hoping the full game is better than the demo. I've had my eye on this game for a while. I've downloaded most if not all of the developer's diaries on Euro PSN. The DI demo didn't really capture me as much as the God of War 3 demo and Wolverine game.
youmissedthejoke.gif

KevinCow

Banned
neojubei said:

The joke.

Nemesis_

Fimbulvetr said:
No, this is dumb.

Lucifer is kind of a pussy in the Divine Comedy. They better not make him the final boss of this game or I swear....

Pretty sure that's already been confirmed.

Piper Az

Just played the demo. I liked the action and what not, but the game is too grim for my taste (GoW also). I am finding that many of the action platforms this gen are too stylized for me (Bayonetta - sex, gore; Dante/GoW - gore, bloody, hellish). If somebody makes a similar genre game but tone down the setting, I'll be interested for sure.

KevinCow

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Link, I need to see it then proceed to facepalm.

Well I think it's pretty much a given that you're gonna fight Lucifer at some point. Final boss or not, I really doubt they're going to make him a huge pussy for that fight.

KevinCow

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:

Of all the stuff they've ignored and changed, that's what's going to bug you?

Just see the game as what it is: An action game very loosely based on the Divine Comedy for the sole reason that Visceral thought Dante's nine circles of Hell would be a cool setting. The rest is just an excuse to make that the setting.

I don't know where people are getting this idea that Satan was some kind of pantywaist in the original story, but then I guess it doesn't surprise me so few people here have read it.

Dude's a fucking colossus, half stuck in the ice, with huge bat wings and he's eating three people at the same time.

So yeah. Give a hoot, read a fucking book.

Dante said:
The emperor of the woeful realm from his midbreast issued forth from the ice; and I match better with a giant, than the giants do with his arms. See now how great must be that whole which corresponds to such parts. If he was as fair as he now is foul, and against his Maker lifted up his brow, surely may all tribulation proceed from him. Oh how great a marvel it seemed to me, when I saw three faces on his head! one in front, and that was red; the others were two that were joined to this above the very middle of each shoulder, and they were joined together at the place of the crest; and the right seemed between white and yellow, the left was such to sight as those who come from where the Nile flows valleyward. Beneath each came forth two great wings, of size befitting so huge a bird. Sails of the sea never saw I such. They had no feathers, but their fashion was of a bat; and he was flapping them so that three winds went forth from him, whereby Cocytus was all congealed. With six eyes he was weeping, and over three chins trickled the tears and bloody drivel. With each mouth he was crushing a sinner with his teeth, in manner of a brake, so that he thus was making three of them woeful. To the one in front the biting was nothing to the clawing, so that sometimes his spine remained all stripped of skin.

"That soul up there which has the greatest punishment," said the Master, "is Judas Iscariot, who has his head within, and plies his legs outside. Of the other two who have their heads down, he who hangs from the black muzzle is Brutus; see how he writhes and says no word; and the other is Cassius, who seems so large-limbed. But the night is rising again, and now we must depart, for we have seen the whole."

Neuromancer said:
I don't know where people are getting this idea that Satan was some kind of pantywaist in the original story, but then I guess it doesn't surprise me so few people here have read it.

Dude's a fucking colossus, half stuck in the ice, with huge bat wings and he's eating three people at the same time.

So yeah. Give a hoot, read a fucking book.

When Dante and Virgil attempted to climb down Satan's body to get to purgatory, Satan could do nothing.

Despite his size and grotesque form he was still a pathetic sack of shit stuck in a lake of ice.

"Satan himself is represented as a giant, terrifying beast, weeping tears from his six eyes, which mix with the traitors' blood sickeningly. He is waist deep in ice, and beats his six wings as if trying to escape, but the icy wind that emanates only further ensures his imprisonment (as well as that of the others in the ring)."

Pussy was the wrong thing to say, impotent and useless. There.

Fimbulvetr said:
When Dante and Virgil attempted to climb down Satan's body to get to purgatory, Satan could do nothing.

Despite his size and grotesque form he was still a pathetic sack of shit stuck in a lake of ice.

"Satan himself is represented as a giant, terrifying beast, weeping tears from his six eyes, which mix with the traitors' blood sickeningly. He is waist deep in ice, and beats his six wings as if trying to escape, but the icy wind that emanates only further ensures his imprisonment (as well as that of the others in the ring)."

Well he's being punished, not sure what the point of calling him useless is. Useless to who?

Anyway that bit you looked up on Wikipedia was probably more research than anyone at Visceral did so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. It's not as though in the original story, Dante fought Death and won his big bone scythe, and then stitched a red cross all over his chest.

KevinCow

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Well he's being punished, not sure what the point of calling him useless is. Useless to who?

Anyway that bit you looked up on Wikipedia was probably more research than anyone at Visceral did so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. It's not as though in the original story, Dante fought Death and won his big bone scythe, and then stitched a red cross all over his chest.

Oh, shut up. Of course they did their research and read the fucking book. They're entirely aware that didn't happen. They just don't give a shit.

charsace

MacBosse said:
You know, Gow could use a healthy amount of competition. And lets not judge the whole game just yet ...

I thought the demo was great (minus the awkward stabbing of Dante). My money is on Visceral, I don't think they will let me down.
The stabbing was purposely cheesy and so were the other cut scenes. These guys can do serious, well done cut scenes.

MacBosse

charsace said:
The stabbing was purposely cheesy and so were the other cut scenes. These guys can do serious, well done cut scenes.

I know Visceral did awesome cutscenes in Dead Space (and there were other cool cutscenes in the demo of Dante's Inferno) but I fail to see why they would make such a crucial moment in the game so "cheesy" (plain bad in my opinion). Anyone care to enlighten me?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure a lot of the Leads on Dead Space had little to do with Dante's.

charsace

MacBosse said:
I know Visceral did awesome cutscenes in Dead Space (and there were other cool cutscenes in the demo of Dante's Inferno) but I fail to see why they would make such a crucial moment in the game so "cheesy" (plain bad in my opinion). Anyone care to enlighten me?
The whole game is a joke. They purposely made it with the intent of being a lame, cheesy mash up nonsense. Once the scene of Dante getting stabbed in the back happened I realized that they purposely made the game cheesy and lame. Pay attention to the voice acting. The VO for Dante is serious, but the rest of them are purposely cheesy and lame, especially death. The voice work for death reminds me of CSOTN version of death. Look at the design of Dante so lame and purposely cheesy. Watch some of the dev interviews and gameplay vids. There is nothing serious about this game. Everything in regards to this game is intentionally off.

They aren't pushing this as an epic or badass game. This game was made for the lols. This game is more god hand in the way the story feels than it is God of War.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
BluWacky said:
I should have turned the subtitles on to see if Death's lines were ALL IN CAPSLOCK...

Sadly it wasn't, but it would've been a nice little joke if they made Death's subtitles all caps lock :lol

Denzar

Pkayed the demo for the first time today. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Silky smooth (60fps do make a difference), great design, great soundtrack, ...

On my radar!

The cartoony cutscenes were silly though, and it did not fit the game at all.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Interestingly enough I am seeing more and more people playing the little facebook game and getting hyped for the game.

The guys running the marketing for this game SERIOUSLY deserve a lot more work, EA should have them work for every single team they have because they really raise awareness AND interest in it (lets face it, FB is HUGE and a great thing to tap into since everyone I know plays free FB games)

Denzar

lsslave said:
Interestingly enough I am seeing more and more people playing the little facebook game and getting hyped for the game.

The guys running the marketing for this game SERIOUSLY deserve a lot more work, EA should have them work for every single team they have because they really raise awareness AND interest in it (lets face it, FB is HUGE and a great thing to tap into since everyone I know plays free FB games)

They fucked up twice though.

Once with the fake protesters at E3.

EA_dante_protests.jpg

Kinda funny though :D

And once with the Sin To Win contest at Comic Con.

ea.comic.swag.2.072409-580px.jpg

This probably turned into a groping contest and treated women as objects. (It's not that being a boothbabe is a less misogynistic way of handling women though).

soqquatto

Fimbulvetr said:

dude, Dante in this game is a crusader that kills death and steals its scythe then proceeds to destroy everything he meets. in the original he was a poet that simply looked at things and described them. beatrice is kidnapped to hell and always naked, while in the original she is fully dressed and having a good time in heaven. I don't think that this game needs to reflect the original material anymore and I don't think anyone is still expecting that. besides Lucifer is the master of hell so who you're going to battle at the end of the game if he can't do nothing? his evil cousin? his hair stylist?

anyway if anyone's still looking for a word to describe dante's inferno I suggest "childlish".

Dyno

charsace said:
The whole game is a joke. They purposely made it with the intent of being a lame, cheesy mash up nonsense. Once the scene of Dante getting stabbed in the back happened I realized that they purposely made the game cheesy and lame. Pay attention to the voice acting. The VO for Dante is serious, but the rest of them are purposely cheesy and lame, especially death. The voice work for death reminds me of CSOTN version of death. Look at the design of Dante so lame and purposely cheesy. Watch some of the dev interviews and gameplay vids. There is nothing serious about this game. Everything in regards to this game is intentionally off.

They aren't pushing this as an epic or badass game. This game was made for the lols. This game is more god hand in the way the story feels than it is God of War.

The Dev. Diaries have lengthy interviews with the key people on this project and that is not the vibe they are giving off at all. They were really earnest in their desire to portray the Circles of Hell in ways that are shocking and arresting.

EzLink

Banned
I played through the demo and had a good time with it, but there's no way in hell (lol) that I'll be able to play this shit because of the fucking text. Once again SD TV owners are second rate customers. Absolute bullshit, I couldn't read a goddam thing. Whatever, not like this is a AAA title anyway

charsace

Dyno said:
The Dev. Diaries have lengthy interviews with the key people on this project and that is not the vibe they are giving off at all. They were really earnest in their desire to portray the Circles of Hell in ways that are shocking and arresting.
I saw an interview where the guys asked one of the devs what this game has. One of the bullet points was, "Tittays everywhere!," and then a video of a monster with tits shooting out monsters was played.

EzLink said:
I played through the demo and had a good time with it, but there's no way in hell (lol) that I'll be able to play this shit because of the fucking text. Once again SD TV owners are second rate customers. Absolute bullshit, I couldn't read a goddam thing. Whatever, not like this is a AAA title anyway

2evap8m.jpg

sorry, I feel your pain

EzLink said:

You're right, let's hold back the technology until the UN can affirm that everyone is represented in their God given rights to play a videogame in HD.

It's 2010, get an HDTV if you want to play HD games.

K' Dash

TheUglyDrunk said:
I don't get it either. I'll start by saying I'm not a huge fan of this genre, I did enjoy the GOW games, but I never got into any of the DMCs or Ninja Gaiden. Having played this and the Bayonetta demo, I enjoyed Inferno more, but I can't really seeing myself purchasing either till the price point hits 20$ or so.

I cannot fathom how someone who likes GOW wouldn't like this game. Is platform or license love truly this blind?

There's your problem, right there.

charsace said:
I saw an interview where the guys asked one of the devs what this game has. One of the bullet points was, "Tittays everywhere!," and then a video of a monster with tits shooting out monsters was played.

You best find this exact interview so that a. We can confirm and b. So I can laugh my ass off.:lol :lol

Blue Heeler said:
You're right, let's hold back the technology until the UN can affirm that everyone is represented in their God given rights to play a videogame in HD.

To be fair, testing should be done on both HDTVs and SDTVs.

EzLink

Banned
Blue Heeler said:

What the hell are you talking about? Plenty of other "HD games" have readable font on SDTVs. Restricting the text to be readable only on HDTV's removes a sizable base of potential customers. I'm a college student with a minimum wage job, I can't afford a new television

Why For?

Banned
Holy crap, I can't believe how much this game takes from God of War.

like...EVERYTHING!

The first thing I thought when I finished the demo was "Fuck me, this is God of War with a Medieval skin".

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, since God of War is one of my favourite games of all time, but shit, they weren't subtle about it. :lol

Cool game though. Will definitely pick it up in Feb.

I finally got around to playing the demo and it seems like Visceral knows what they're doing. A+ developer.

Smooth controls, cool art, great level design, all the hooks.

Anyway, back to Darksiders...

Singho

FrostuTheNinja said:
I finally got around to playing the demo and it seems like Visceral knows what they're doing. A+ developer.

Smooth controls, cool art, great level design, all the hooks.

Anyway, back to Darksiders...

What, this is horrid!

What a joke, I can't remember a game in recent memory which has been so blatant in it's rip off-ary.

It's as if they were given a tick box of all the things that God of War has and tried to match it.
  • Gore
  • Tits
  • Orchestral score
  • Demons
  • Hell's Minions
  • Tits
  • Quick Time Events
  • Big things.
    *]TITS.
All sewn into a story of revenge...in the fucking Crusades!! Christ! (lol)

All except they forgot to actually take the gameplay element that God of War, perhaps one of the best examples of an easy to get into hack and slash I've played. They got so much right in that game which was further improved by it's sequal.

The main thing is, it had an element of bloody variation in it's attacks. This is only a demo, I am pretty sure that there will be further moves unlocked but even God of War, with it's chain spam on a non powered up Kratos you could do more shit. All I saw on this was whooshing, whizzing and some bodies flying off the screen. Felt like there was no impact with your attacks. Fucking rubbish.

Taking even the powered up fool, it's just a mess of animation so fast, that even with 60fps it's all missed. It doesn't matter what you press, shit dies you keep pressing buttons. Boss battle against Death or whoever was bogus as well. Block, Block, attack, attack, attack, get hit, block and repeat. Then do the same, while he is aireborne but add a jump in the guide typed up above.

They've tried to be clever and add their own twist or re-imagining of the Crusades like SCEA did with Greek mythology. Only it doesn't work as well as the Crusades actually fucking happened and this is just some twat writer who had to came up with a pitch for a game during his lunch break. I don't know whether this is actually offensive or is just fucking stupid. Christian vs Muslims: Battle for Jerusalem 1096!!

It's just crass. The whole sewing the cross into his own chest! He has gone through the crusades facing much adversity, yet can't go find a fucking shirt to sew it on? Went so far with this it's laughable and not even remotely "cool". Then just insert tits into every other cutscene so it's not overdone...

If this is coming out at the same time as Bayonetta, and this gets more sales and praises. I'll quit playing games. It's not gonna happen though, so I'm safe. o_O;;;

Fuck this game.

Edit

These guys made Dead Space!?!?! Shame they couldn't add or tinker with this genre enough to make it good instead of sending it back 10 years and then some.

roxya

You accept the shit being pulled by Platinum Games in Bayonetta, but can't handle some tits from Visceral?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Finally got to playing the demo. Pretty much produced the same meh feeling I get with God of War, except Combat didn't feel as smooth.

Played the demo, cracked up when I killed Death I was like" REALLLLY? I just killed Death and Stole his Sycthe? :lol "

Definitely grabbed me more than Bayonetta demo did though and I was planing to either buy that cheap or rent it so maybe a possible purchase for me.

Top Bottom