• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno demo coming this month, hitting PSN first, XBL two weeks later

Raide

Just played the demo...not bad. Some nice ideas and the theme is very different, I think I will keep an eye on the reviews and nab it when it gets a little cheaper.

ultim8p00

Banned
Singho said:
What, this is horrid!

What a joke, I can't remember a game in recent memory which has been so blatant in it's rip off-ary.

It's as if they were given a tick box of all the things that God of War has and tried to match it.
  • Gore
  • Tits
  • Orchestral score
  • Demons
  • Hell's Minions
  • Tits
  • Quick Time Events
  • Big things.
    *]TITS.
All sewn into a story of revenge...in the fucking Crusades!! Christ! (lol)

All except they forgot to actually take the gameplay element that God of War, perhaps one of the best examples of an easy to get into hack and slash I've played. They got so much right in that game which was further improved by it's sequal.

The main thing is, it had an element of bloody variation in it's attacks. This is only a demo, I am pretty sure that there will be further moves unlocked but even God of War, with it's chain spam on a non powered up Kratos you could do more shit. All I saw on this was whooshing, whizzing and some bodies flying off the screen. Felt like there was no impact with your attacks. Fucking rubbish.

Taking even the powered up fool, it's just a mess of animation so fast, that even with 60fps it's all missed. It doesn't matter what you press, shit dies you keep pressing buttons. Boss battle against Death or whoever was bogus as well. Block, Block, attack, attack, attack, get hit, block and repeat. Then do the same, while he is aireborne but add a jump in the guide typed up above.

They've tried to be clever and add their own twist or re-imagining of the Crusades like SCEA did with Greek mythology. Only it doesn't work as well as the Crusades actually fucking happened and this is just some twat writer who had to came up with a pitch for a game during his lunch break. I don't know whether this is actually offensive or is just fucking stupid. Christian vs Muslims: Battle for Jerusalem 1096!!

It's just crass. The whole sewing the cross into his own chest! He has gone through the crusades facing much adversity, yet can't go find a fucking shirt to sew it on? Went so far with this it's laughable and not even remotely "cool". Then just insert tits into every other cutscene so it's not overdone...

If this is coming out at the same time as Bayonetta, and this gets more sales and praises. I'll quit playing games. It's not gonna happen though, so I'm safe. o_O;;;

Fuck this game.

Edit

These guys made Dead Space!?!?! Shame they couldn't add or tinker with this genre enough to make it good instead of sending it back 10 years and then some.

:lol :lol :lol :lol Did Visceral rape your mother? You're in for a delicious plate of crow man.

Zeenbor

I enjoyed the theme of the game, but I was not impressed by the graphics, controls, or the gameplay.

Rental at best, it looks like. :(

This is a rotten demo alright. And buggy; I got stuck in some kind of loop with death and had to restart the demo, not cool. Other than that, it seems like a shameful rip-off. Now, I'm usually alright with developers borrowing liberally, even when it comes very close to the source material, but the result has to actually be something special. This is just bleh.

Raide said:
Some nice ideas

Such as?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
after the GoW Collection, I played the demo again, and this went from day one to price drop.
after Bayonetta, I played the demo again, and it went from price drop to probably never.

The combat is just too stiff.

I might rent it in the Winter (Summer for you Northern Hemisphere folk).

Rez said:
after Bayonetta, I played the demo again, and it went from price drop to probably never.

Hmmm, I should probably do this as well. I played the Dante's Inferno demo once and came away impressed with Visceral's work. It being derivative is almost a non issue for me. As long as the game is well made and has good mechanics in place, I'll be there. Maybe not on release, but I'll check it out regardless.

Bayonetta really suprised the hell out of me. I mean, I knew it would be good... But shit, it's such a great game. Now though, going back to Dante's Inferno might be a problem. Curse you Team Little Angels... CURSE YOU!

Welcome back to reality, where God of War is just as derivative as any other "GoW rip off" mentioned in here. Rygar, Onimusha, and Devil May Cry all say hello from 2001/2002.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Rez said:
after the GoW Collection, I played the demo again, and this went from day one to price drop.

The combat is just too stiff.

I might rent it in the Winter (Summer for you Northern Hemisphere folk).

Yeah, I initially planned to get Dante day 1. Then I played the demo, and it went to price drop. Then I played the GoW collection, realized that GoW II HD looks better than Dante, and decided that I'll probably just youtube the boss battles and read the Wikipedia article for the plot.

kuYuri

Old?

I was reading the Amazon description for PS3 DI and noticed this:

* Dark Forest PDLC pack FREE (available March)
* Wayne Barlowe Digital Art Book
* Developer Documentary
* Digital copy of the Longfellow translation of Dante¿s Inferno
* 20 song soundtrack from the game

Particularly the bolded one. DLC already confirmed?

I wonder if this is saying that by buying the PS3 Divine Edition, you get this piece of paid DLC for free. I don't see this in the description for the 360 version.

Triz

Strider2K99 said:
Old?

I was reading the Amazon description for PS3 DI and noticed this:

Particularly the bolded one. DLC already confirmed?

I wonder if this is saying that by buying the PS3 Divine Edition, you get this piece of paid DLC for free. I don't see this in the description for the 360 version.

I think the PS3 is getting more love due to God of War 3 right around the corner.

Spike

Rez said:

Same.

Spike

Strider2K99 said:

This is exactly what it is saying.

DrPirate

Banned
764979695_mxWkk-X1.jpg

Saw this, and actually, for one of the first times, laughed at a web comic.

Yes, I laughed, in front of my computer screen. I thought this was hilarious and wanted to share it with you all.

Sorry if it's old.

KGKK

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Dante's Inferno Circle Cycle Commercial

161338-Clipboard01.jpg

Just when you thought EA's advertising campaign for this game had hit its lowest, most stupid point, they roll this thing out. No pun intended.

:lol :lol
Looks so cheaply made, I also like how they just added in the "666" at the end for no reason.
Anyhow played the demo, I didn't like the beginning as the locales were boring and not epic as GoW(I played the demo right after beating GoWII), I also :lol at him getting stabbed in the back by some random muslim guy, what a lame way to go. THought he was suppose to be badass hence why he is sewing a cross on his body for no particular reason.
The end of the demo when Beatrice gets taken away, that part was pretty good though. Combat is missing the oooomph though, there is no feed back when I hit an enemy like in GoW

Monocle

I am not a fan of this game. Help me understand the appeal, GAF.

In the demo, Dante's attacks are repetitive and the controls feel unresponsive. The gameplay seems worse than that of any other mainstream action game from this gen, and many from the previous. Why do people like the combat when there are so many better alternatives? How is the art design appealing? I've watched every dev diary on XBL and I have yet to say to myself, "That's a cool interpretation of that [creature/character/place]." Everything looks plain, or ugly in a bad way.

I want to like Dante's Inferno because it belongs to a genre I love and it's based on the Divine Comedy. What does this game have to offer besides a title borrowed from a literary classic?

KGKK

Banned
Monocle said:
I am not a fan of this game. Help me understand the appeal, GAF.

In the demo, Dante's attacks are repetitive and the controls feel unresponsive. The gameplay seems worse than that of any other mainstream action game from this gen, and many from the previous. Why do people like the combat when there are so many better alternatives? How is the art design appealing? I've watched every dev diary on XBL and I have yet to say to myself, "That's a cool interpretation of that [creature/character/place]." Everything looks plain, or ugly in a bad way.

I want to like Dante's Inferno because it belongs to a genre I love and it's based on the Divine Comedy. What does this game have to offer besides a title borrowed from a literary classic?

I would not place your interest in it due to it being inspired by The Divine Comedy.
However, I would give the team the benefit of the doubt as they made Dead Space. Dead Space is one of my favourite games this gen that came out of nowhere. Before the release though, it got a lot of hate(including from myself) for looking generic and boring or simply like a RE4 clone in space.
Also from the videos where they preview the seven circles of hell levels, the game seems to have some amazing set-pieces.

KGKK said:
:lol :lol
THought he was suppose to be badass hence why he is sewing a cross on his body for no particular reason.
He's sewing a cross on his chest because he wants to repent for all the terrible things he did in the Crusades. He wants that punishment as a permanent reminder for him. Also, agreed that getting stabbed by a noob in the back is the lamest way to go. Better way to go is in a hail of spears and arrows surrounded by saracens. Whats even lamer is how he beats up Death and takes his scythe. We know its a game, but C'mon. Atleast put some thought into it!

Monocle

KGKK said:
I would not place your interest in it due to it being inspired by The Divine Comedy.
However, I would give the team the benefit of the doubt as they made Dead Space. Dead Space is one of my favourite games this gen that came out of nowhere. Before the release though, it got a lot of hate(including from myself) for looking generic and boring or simply like a RE4 clone in space.
Also from the videos where they preview the seven circles of hell levels, the game seems to have some amazing set-pieces.
It seems to me that Dante's Inferno's inspiration must be considered in any balanced evaluation of the game. It's an adaptation, after all. EA's marketing belabors the connection at every opportunity. I like the idea, at least. One of the Devil May Cry series' minor pleasures is its references to The Divine Comedy. Shouldn't it hold that a whole game based on one of the poem's books would be something to look forward to?

I've been aware of the game's pedigree for a while. It doesn't inspire much confidence because everything I've seen of the actual product has repelled me.

Crunched said:
Oh, that reminds me. The corpse tits are a really crass bit of business. What's the deal there?

I wonder if the game got another title like "Infernum", "Dante's Wrath" or "Unbaptized Baby Killer AD" , if there would be any less backlash. I mean look at Darksiders, I understand it's not a very good comparison with Inferno but that game rapes Revelations and tries to make it cool and hip for the youngsters, yet people seem to love it. Maybe it's because of the art-style and gameplay, I'm not sure.

Anyway I got this preordered (also GOW3 and I plan to play Bayonetta in the summer drought) and can't wait to play it.

I'm also very interested in the animated features.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Wait... Dante defeats Death...

I mean, ignoring everything ELSE wrong with this game, "Death" isn't an evil force. Why would it be fighting against Dante???

Darklord

Banned
DavidDayton said:

I mean, ignoring everything ELSE wrong with this game, "Death" isn't an evil force. Why would it be fighting against Dante???

Because he gets stabbed and Death wants to take him. Dante's tells him to get fucked. Battle ensures.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Darklord said:
Because he gets stabbed and Death wants to take him. Dante's tells him to get fucked. Battle ensures.

That's even more patently absurd than the stupidity already seen in the game.

Darklord

Banned
DavidDayton said:

That's even more patently absurd than the stupidity already seen in the game.

It's a game. An action game. If your looking for logic and sense don't play the game with the guy fighting his way through hell.

Darklord said:
It's a game. An action game. If your looking for logic and sense don't play the game with the guy fighting his way through hell.

Exactly, if you want logic in your action game you could simply play Bayonetta. :D

StevePharma said:
Exactly, if you want logic in your action game you could simply play Bayonetta. :D

Ironically the tongue in cheek game about a 9ft tall bullet witch with demonic hair clothes still makes more sense than this.

The complaints span from the fact that his death and murder of death were completely inconsistent.

He's killing a bunch of people, okay. Seems to be a very skilled warrior.

Some random guy kills him by stabbing him in the shoulder after all that....okay he is still human.

So the guy who died by a knife to the shoulder kills death....wat? 100% human, no super powers, kills death; One of these things does not fit.

At least Bayonetta shows logical(or rather illogical) consistency with its absurd elements. Not that it matters in the end since nobody is playing either game for the story.

I liked the cross weapon, it was awesome to use.

The demo was straight but, I couldn't help but not like the story as presented...a lotta cheese and no entertainment value. The graphics are okay and the combat feels close to you know who.

Overall, I wouldn't buy it.

Seanspeed

Banned
I feel this could be a pretty big hit. Presentation is top-notch and the gameplay feels precise and entertaining.

Being a GoW rip-off is gonna hurt it, but judge it on its own merits, and it seems a pretty solid title at this point.

We'll see how the whole game turns out, but I think its gonna be something worth buying.

RavenFox

Banned
RustyNails said:
He's sewing a cross on his chest because he wants to repent for all the terrible things he did in the Crusades. He wants that punishment as a permanent reminder for him. Also, agreed that getting stabbed by a noob in the back is the lamest way to go. Better way to go is in a hail of spears and arrows surrounded by saracens. Whats even lamer is how he beats up Death and takes his scythe. We know its a game, but C'mon. Atleast put some thought into it!
Agree with this.

Ponn

Banned
DavidDayton said:

Tell that to the Castlevania series. I mean really, come on, you find it out of place to fight Death in a video game??

Seriously, people are really going out of their way to hate this game. I wouldn't say its going to be as good as GOW III but its really not as bad as people are nitpicking the hell out of it. If you don't have a PS3 this is looking like a good game to fill that GOW void on the Xbox 360.

outsidah

I feel the same way many do.

It tries very hard to be GoW, in just about every sense. It's just that everything about it feels clunky and not how silky smooth GoW feels.

Worst part of the whole thing for me was the random guy stabbing him in the back... I thought I was missing something when that happened.

I would still play the game though unless it gets terrible reviews, I just would never buy it for retail.

Being a GoW rip-off is gonna hurt it

I don't understand this logic. Why is being similar to one of the best action series out there a bad thing. Call of duty is an fps and so is Halo. That doesn't stop people from buying either. And it's not like the GoW template is over done. There's God of war, Conan, and that's pretty much it.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I don't understand this logic. Why is being similar to one of the best action series out there a bad thing. Call of duty is an fps and so is Halo. That doesn't stop people from buying either. And it's not like the GoW template is over done. There's God of war, Conan, and that's pretty much it.

Well, let's not pretend that this is just a similar format, like COD and Halo. This is as close to plagiarism as I've ever seen in a game. That probably won't matter to consumers, so I don't think it will hurt it at all. If anything, it will have the opposite effect.

Can't re-invent the wheel in every game, if they up the ante and make it better than GoW I don't see how that can be a negative. Not saying it will do that at all but that is my perspective.

Ponn01 said:
Tell that to the Castlevania series. I mean really, come on, you find it out of place to fight Death in a video game??

Seriously, people are really going out of their way to hate this game. I wouldn't say its going to be as good as GOW III but its really not as bad as people are nitpicking the hell out of it. If you don't have a PS3 this is looking like a good game to fill that GOW void on the Xbox 360.

Belmonts and the other protagonist of the castlevania series are or either powerful humans/vampires that controls magic, have sacred powers, equiped with armors infused with powers and armed with holy/demoniac powerful weapons,that somewhat made sense they can kill a demon being like death, some unknown crusader that was just stabbed in the back by some stupid ass, beating death with just a common lance, make no sense whatsoever.

Yes, is an over the top action game, but at least be consistent.

For the record I don't think the game is bad, is terrible deriative, uninspired, stupid and destroys a classic book.But the core gameplay it isn't that bad, and actually I think it could be a good game.The problem is I can't see anyone getting this over Bayonetta or GOW3....

Seanspeed

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
It hurts it because its not original. That definitely counts for something, dont ya think?

I said plainly in the same post that if judged on its own merits, it could very well be a great game, but there's going to be the inevitable backlack of the 'been there, done that' syndrome.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
It's all about whether people like it or not.
PA.jpg

Ponn

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
Belmonts and the other protagonist of the castlevania series are or either powerful humans/vampires that controls magic, have sacred powers, equiped with armors infused with powers and armed with holy/demoniac powerful weapons,that somewhat made sense they can kill a demon being like death, some unknown crusader that was just stabbed in the back by some stupid ass, beating death with just a common lance, make no sense whatsoever.

Yes, is an over the top action game, but at least be consistent.

For the record I don't think the game is bad, is terrible deriative, uninspired, stupid and destroys a classic book.But the core gameplay it isn't that bad, and actually I think it could be a good game.The problem is I can't see anyone getting this over Bayonetta or GOW3....

It's a story about going through the circles of Hell. What kind of "consistency" and "making sense" are you people really looking for?

I think your last statement is what is really going on with the irrational hatred for this game. I don't see anyone saying this game will be better than those listed or necessarily going out of their way to get this over either of those if one is interested in either of those. On the other hand you have to accept that some people just didn't like Bayonetta and this game is not like Bayonetta. And as for GOW III like has been stated already alot of people don't have PS3's so this makes a good fill in for those not able to play GOW III.

The demo played pretty solid and was fun. You know, fun, in a video game. Not over analyzing or having to constantly compare games to other games they aren't.

Top Bottom