• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daredevil Review Thread: The Thread Without Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Thus far, the only two outright negative impressions I've seen from people who've actually seen the five episodes made available to critics - Faraci hasn't, AFAIK - are from Noel Murray (AV Club) and Tim Goodman of THR.

Murray is actually a comics fan, whereas Goodman is evidently less than enamored with the genre, so I'm more curious as to why Murray didn't like it.

hmm, AV carries some weight in my book, so this is a bit perplexing

Wiktor

Maybe some negative opinions might do with the pacing? It seems the show is designed for a binge watch. So episode-to-episode it might not deliver the heighs typical weekly show has, but this doesn't mean it all won't come together in the end.

This year's Bosch was like that. Since all episodes came out at once the show could afford to take it's time laying all the toys in right places before it made them all move.

Cheebo

Banned
I've found out Murray's favourite filmmaker is Brian De Palma. I'm not worried anymore
Brian De Palma is one of the all time great directors of the New Hollywood era. Blow Out, Dressed to Kill, Obsession, Phantom of the Paradise...all all time classics. There are two Brian De Palmas. The amazing director who is on par with Martin Scorsese and the one who did the occasional studio film mostly just to just ensure funding for his personal projects. I hope you are not judging him on Mission Impossible or Scarface but on his work such as Blow Out or Phantom of the Paradise.

Blow Out is the work of an amazing director. De Palma is am an incrediblely skilled director who had a significant impact on the face of cinema that still resonates to this day.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Nothing is going to have universal appeal, a few negative reviews is to be expected. By most accounts this should be right up our collective alley.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Brian De Palma is one of the all time great directors of the New Hollywood era. Blow Out, Dressed to Kill, Obsession, Phantom of the Paradise...all all time classics. There are two Brian De Palmas. The amazing director who is on par with Martin Scorsese and the one who did the occasional studio film mostly just to just ensure funding for his personal projects. I hope you are not judging him on Mission Impossible or Scarface but on his work such as Blow Out or Phantom of the Paradise.

Blow Out is the work of an amazing director. De Palma is am an incrediblely skilled director who had a significant impact on the face of cinema that still resonates to this day.

I've seen all De Palma movies and I couldn't disagree more. I might only save Blow Out and Redacted, which is indeed fantastic, but not much else

Blow out is his goat but how is his work on scarface subpar? A lot of depalma-isms in it and the film itself is a pop masterpiece imo

Cheebo

Banned
Blow out is his goat but how is his work on scarface subpar? A lot of depalma-isms in it and the film itself is a pop masterpiece imo

Don't get me wrong, I like Scarface. But a lot of people have only ever seen that (and Mission Impossible/Untouchables) and tend to judge him by that rather than his deeper catalog of movies. Dude was hitting it out of the park movie after movie in the 70's.

anigif_enhanced-3551-1405947243-12.gif

Thus far, the only two outright negative impressions I've seen from people who've actually seen the five episodes made available to critics - Faraci hasn't, AFAIK - are from Noel Murray (AV Club) and Tim Goodman of THR.

Murray is actually a comics fan, whereas Goodman is evidently less than enamored with the genre, so I'm more curious as to why Murray didn't like it.

Bit worrying as AVClub is my go-to site for pop culture.

How is bitching about how Daredevil should be killed because he's blind a valid complaint?

Like, isn't the whole fucking point of character is that being blind has actually given him an advantage?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/daredevil-tv-review-787305

After watching three of these Daredevil episodes it struck me that NBC’s Blacklist is more entertaining and that Cinemax’s Banshee is a much better investment of time (and a far better show).

[...]

Marvel fanboys and fangirls will probably love it, but if you’ve never seen Banshee, try that first.

Love all this Banshee love he's throwing into the review. Everyone here should definitely check it out.

How is bitching about how Daredevil should be killed because he's blind a valid complaint?

Like, isn't the whole fucking point of character is that being blind has actually given him an advantage?

An advantage over people who are fighting with fisticuffs, sure, but an advantage over people who are shooting at him with guns?

banshee sounding like the undisputed GOAT comic book-pulp tv show then huh.

have to call bullshit on that blacklist quote though. that show is awful. anyways, 2 more days.

Love all this Banshee love he's throwing into the review. Everyone here should definitely check it out.

An advantage over people who are fighting with fisticuffs, sure, but an advantage over people who are shooting at him with guns?

An advantage over any real person, absolutely. He can sense the use of a gun before that person even has a chance to fire the gun. I'm not at all claiming that this is realistic, but that sort of complaint is bullshit because it's absolutely within Daredevil's abilities to be aware of people using guns and win that fight.

I'll admit it's another thing entirely if the show writes it to where thugs are just fighting him with fists instead of attempting to shoot him. But that wouldn't be the first time that sort of thing has happened. Looking at you, TDKR.

NYT and THR reviews are up. I already knew the latter would be negative, but the former is more mixed than I would have hoped. C'est la vie.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/09/a...hero-is-sightless-but-not-blind-to-crime.html

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/daredevil-tv-review-787305

Hollywood Reporter is basically ranting about how Daredevil should be easily killed by guns. This purely based on suspension of belief and from the other reviews it sounds like the fight scenes are extremely well choreographed.

The New York Times reviewer seems to feel that character doesn't quite live up to the Miller interpretation, noting Cox's performance doesn't deliver the savagery Daredevil has had before and that the pacing between important story beats and fights is a bit off.

Sblargh

Banned
It's like when someone say "well, if batman was real, he would be killed on the first night".

Wow! No! You just cracked the comic book code! All is revealed! How could we all have been so blind?! I'm ditching this hobby!

Blader

De Palma was leagues away from being one of the greats just in that era, let alone now. And Mission Impossible is actually one of his better works; it'd be pretty generous if someone were to judge him on just that film.

With AV Club, I thought the grade in the article over the thumbnail of the show was the official grade. The article has a B- but on metacritic it shows up as a 67.

I hate Daredevil since my only experience is the shitty Afflack movie. But this is changing my opinion pretty fast. Time to go back to watching the third episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom