• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Cloud II - A sleeper?

kevm3

I haven't been hearing much about Dark Cloud 2... I've recently picked it up thanks to the circuit city sale. Really, it's one of the more refreshing rpgs I've played in a while. The georama system is excellent. Even the voices are decent. Anyone else playing this? If you don't have it, I'd suggest trying it out, especially at $5.

Meier

You havent been hearing much cause it's an old game. Aside from Disgaea though, it's the best game on the system IMO and PS2's GOTY for 2003. Bought it at launch and it was worth every penny. $5 is an utter steal.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I still wonder why this game isn't a greatest hits. Surely this game sold enough copies to make it to GH status

kevm3

I had no idea it came out that long ago... I'm really out of the loop lol. I'm having too much fun with this though.

It's the best RPG of 2003. Selling it for $5 is a fucking insult. If you weren't willing to pay $40 for it (already a steal), you don't deserve it.

epmode

the game is far too repetitive, the voice acting = teh suck, but dark cloud 2 is strangely addictive. much better than i expected, considering that i hated the first one.

AeroGod

It gets alot of hate because its repetative(I dont agree) and just very convoluted(but i like that about it)

Its a great game though, and definatly a contender for the best game on PS2, IMO

Meier

Yeah I thought the VA was fine in it personally. A Japanese track would have been nice but it wasnt expected.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
VA's fine to me too. There are worse VA's out there

I should probably play this game again. I stopped at chapter 4 and haven't played since last summer. I put down 30 hours into the game too...not sure if I can magically resume where I left off

Rhage

I wouldn't say it's a sleeper, there was a lot of talk about it when it came out.

Great game, and $5 for it is an absolute steal.

I didn't mind the VA either, but didn't care for the story.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I picked it up at the sale. It was my whole reason for going. Sure is packed for 5 bucks! Got great reviews as well, I think it was Gamespot's pick for PS2 GOTY in 2003. I was expecting a lot of hate in here for it I've read many bad things around GA.

Mashing

The combat was reptitive, but the equipment upgrade system was fun to play with and made combat worthwhile for me... no my biggest gripe with the game was the crappy random dungeon generator that used the same textures over and over... other than that, it is one of my favorite PS2 games.

kevm3

What makes the game so good is that it not only has a great atmosphere, but it has a level of customization not typically seen in Japanese rpgs. I love how you can make your robot the way you want to, customize your towns and you have to follow a certain branch with weapons. I think I'm gonna be spending a long time playing around with the town building.

I agree though that the dungeons are a bit of a drag.

The game's a lot of fun. I'm violently allergic to anything involving the story in that game, though. It's hackneyed and juvenile, with no effort made to help the player suspend disbelief - it's a horrible mess, voice acting included. "I'm from 100 years in the future! We have to save the world!" - "OK!"

I felt like I had to turn the volume way down when that sick girl was moaning in her bed.

maybe you dudes can help me out with dark cloud 2, cause i dont know what the fuck to do.

so i'm supposed to catch this small fish for this giant fish so he can "clean" the giant fish. ok, fine. i catch the small fish. so then i go back over to the big fish and initiate the dialog, and the last set of dialog he says "Did you find the fish? (Press Square to access inventory)" and i press square and it does nothing. i have the fish in my inventory, but i cannot access my inventory in the course of the conversation as i am supposed to. wtf is going on? am i doing something wrong?

Belfast

I believe you walk up to the fish and hit square first (don't initiate conversation, just give him the fish).

Its a great dungeon crawler. The story is really only a means to and end, unfortunately, but it IS better and generally more engaging than the story from Dark Cloud 1. There's a lot of complexity and a lot of things to do, so it can be a bit intimidating for some people. Sure its repetitive, but most dungeon crawlers ARE. Their appeal generally comes from character building/customization and finding neat treasure, which are things that DC2 excels at.

Kudie

I know that Dark Cloud 2 is an action-rpg and has been called by some as the PS2's ver. of Zelda. However, I'd like to know if the game has turn-based or real-time battles? I prefer real-time battles a little more than the turn-based ones.

the battles are real-time.

it is similar to zelda, but dark cloud 2 is more on the RPG side of the action genre, whereas zelda is more on the "adventure" side of the action genre. so, dark cloud action-rpg, zelda action-adventure!

Gattsu25

Banned
though the battle systems are similar, the focus of Dark Cloud is no where near Zelda's

Dark Cloud 2 is a great game...put over 100 hours into the game and still love it...also is proof (in my eyes) that cel-shading doesn't have to suck

Kudie

FrenchMovieTheme said:
the battles are real-time.

it is similar to zelda, but dark cloud 2 is more on the RPG side of the action genre, whereas zelda is more on the "adventure" side of the action genre. so, dark cloud action-rpg, zelda action-adventure!

Yeah, I still don't understand why some people insist on classifying Zelda as an action-rpg. It is far more and adventure than it is an rpg.

beerbelly

Banned
One of the big surprises of 2003. I loved the atmosphere in the main town - you can do whatever you want freely with plenty of things to do, LOTS of townspeople to speak to (and help) and the colours are just perfect. I loved fishing and raising fish when I got bored of the dungeons, the georama, the pictures you can take with your camera to discover inventions and trying to recruit members. It's a shame the game became really stale near the end. I had to ask myself why I spent over 90 hours on the game after beating it.

kevm3

Is there any other way to get elements other than crawling dungeons for them? I need a couple of earth elements, but I don't feel like trudging through generic maps to get them...

I burned out on DC2 and yet I spent 170 hours on it last summer (w/o ever beating it oddly enough). It's many aspects are very fun for periods of time but can get stale if you focus on individual ones for too long.

I burned out on Spheda, even though I managed to clear out all of the stages in the 7 chapters, so I moved on to fishing and fish racing. Before that I was gung ho in trying to level up to get various ultimate weapons, etc.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
I really didn't like it when I first tried it as the game made me feel like a ADD patient, with something new to learn every couple of minutes. I got it with the Circuit City deal and figure I'll give it another go.

Top Bottom