• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Matter (Steam, $15) ABRUPTLY ends 4 hours in b/c the devs ran out of time/money.

Haunted

Extraordinarily easy to avoid all this with a bit more ingenuity on the part of the devs.

Done like this, it's pretty stupid.

Xenogears got away with this.
Even considering how shitty and unfinished and disjointed Xenogear's second disc is, it's still better than an abrupt fade to black and a text ending without any sort of buildup or resolution. C'mon.

tolkir

eva26.jpg

Even considering how shitty and unfinished and disjointed Xenogear's second disc is, it's still better than an abrupt fade to black and a text ending without any sort of buildup or resolution. C'mon.

It was only a joke, I actually really like Xenogears' second disk.

Chronoja

It needs to get pulled from the store and they should refund the people who bought it. As an Early Access game that kind of ending would be acceptable, as a full game it's inexcusable.

The situation isn't great for anyone involved be it developer or end user but this knee jerk reaction is a tad extreme. Them running out of money and being unable to finish the game is a completely understandable situation, their kickstarter failed, they had to do what they could to recoup their losses. A bad ending aside the 4 - 5 hours of gameplay still exist so let's not forget that it exists since if a bad ending is all that it takes to demand removal of games from steam then we're going to find ourselves with a severely cut library of games. It's shady no doubt, their reputation will take a hit even if they do survive, but worse games exist, shadier things have been done, just look at the whole "The War Z" debacle. I'm not defending them, I just figure they deserve a little slack, they didn't disclose that the ending sucked, dick move sure, but they're not charging $60 for it either.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Why not just release it as an "Episode 1!" or something?

No ultimate battle. No final Puzzle. Nothing to say "here's a reward for what you've done!"? Not even a piece of art?

That seems like he's trying to make a statement, rather than make a product that his buyers will enjoy. Even if one is running out of money, why not personally fund something (Music, Art, an arena mode to beat up infinite mooks, a super gun for Playthrough II... ANYTHING) to make the gamer feel like they reached some form of end?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Couldn't they have got this on Early Access and used the funds received there to finish it rather than ripping people the fuck off with an incomplete game?

Never back a game on Kickstarter.

I was going to reply to this but I'm much too busy playing Chivalry, Volgarr, etc.

JaxJag

Banned
Mega Man is not an incomplete game, though. And plain text endings were considered downers even then. With no climax, end boss, unresolved story, tutorial mechanics that are never introduced, and no warning that the next door ends the game, this doesn't seem comparable.

One could say the last puzzle he solved was like a final boss.

Meh, this is how games usually ended during the 8bit/16 bit era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kduzi0ZyKjY

How is the ending to Mega Man even comparable? Final castle with four levels, a final boss fight with the main enemy of the game, and then the ending (which has more graphics to it than this). You don't just click on Dr. Wily's castle and suddenly the screen goes black and white text tells you Mega Man blew the old crazy docs head off.

Portugeezer

IMO for releasing it like that they shouldn't ever update the game, otherwise it's misselling early access.

If they never update it, then get over it. Simple. That is the game.

Kinyou

Wow. That ending. Super shady thing to do.

To think what other great (and complete) games you could get for $15

Famassu

Didn't read huh?
Of course he didn't. He saw "failed" and "Kickstarter" -> skipped a few dozen words and jumped straight to his already existing anti-Kickstarter stance "KICKSTARTER IS SHIT, SEE?!?!!", as if this supported it.

EDIT. Not to even mention this could've actually been a case to prove how useful Kickstarter is. These guys did, what 4-5 hours worth of content without any KS money, quality content, but ran out of money and failed to get any through KS, so they couldn't finish it. With the help of KS, this could perhaps have been a really great game.

Im sorry but thats kind of a problem with kickstarter. If the campaign fails then you know...the game failed.

How is this a problem with Kickstarter? o_O

So they just need to give it a proper end, right? People are saying what there is is good.

Hopefully they can use what money they get here to finish up the game and release it as a patch for existing owners. Or they could be scummy and just cut and run. :/

Ashodin

Sigh. As an indie dev myself, I would at least go back and revise what near the end of the game would be to better fit it. Instead of releasing it with a text screen. That's just lazy.

Chronoja

So they just need to give it a proper end, right? People are saying what there is is good.

I think what makes this seem worse than it is is just the abruptness itself. There's no indication that that door should end the game. I don't know anything about the story but let's say the door was red, had a big light on it and said "EXIT". It's still a shitty ending but there you have a door that looks more like game ending door if nothing else and the "shock" of the situation is reduced. If that was the situation people wouldn't be so "up in arms" to the point that they are completely negating the content that actually does exist, I'd imagine. Or not, it's all just speculation. If the devs were smart they'd at least at trying to patch in a better ending depending on whether or not their sales have been strong enough or not.

Aaron

The devs had to know players would get upset. Why didn't they go early access? Would have been no problem then.

If there has been obvious fraud then Steam will provide a refund with little hassle involved (as far as I know).
There's no fraud here though, it's just a terrible way to end the game.

To be honest, this kind of TMZ style tabloidization of a relatively non-issue is slightly embarrassing to me.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey OP, I posted this on Reddit to help get the information out.

I don't find any issue with them selling it or anything, but they should clearly label or make it known somewhere on the page before purchase that it is unfinished and will remain so.

Reallink

I seem to recall Limbo being like 2 hours for $10 and no one complained, so I'm not seeing the big deal with 4 hours for $15. Gone Home was $20 for like 4 hours as well.

Top Bottom