• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 Beta Footage

First
Second
Third
Fourth
Fifth

also:
Dark Souls II Texture assets leaked from the Beta

So... apparently someone discovered the descriptions of all armor, items,miracles and sorceries in the beta as well some dialogue, click at your own risk

BEWARE OF SPOILERS

Armor, Items, Miracles and Sorceries Names
http://pastie.org/pastes/8364220/text?key=bpqvjofdnqwvakrtodiyka

Armor, Items, Miracles and Sorceries Descriptions
http://pastie.org/pastes/8364221/text?key=y650snjyxh9prjna310xfq

NPC Dialogue
http://pastie.org/pastes/8364217/text?key=rjfvpxfaxra8ncnc6ztwmq

Via: /r/DarkSouls2

Very Well Written Beta Review
Regarding PVE -
PVE - I will try and stay away from what was already said, you can take my word for it that everything said about the game so far is on point. Interaction with the enemies is good but the new heavier (Slightly delayed) feeling to the attacks and rolls takes time to get used to in comparison to both souls games before it unless your a duel swordsman in which the speed feels right at home. Targeting is odd with some spells but it might be intentional as some blasted an aoe off target but still hit. Same with weapons, heavy weapons are the same (Mostly, I will explain later) slow but strong and fast weapons are fast with less dmg. Spamming attacks with a slower weapon (Halberd) doesn't seem great since the weapon targets the last area you were facing even when an enemy moves around you, might be changed at the end or kept this way.

Regarding items -
Items – some consumables have new animations like humanity. Flasks are slower to heal while enemies are more aggressive. Confirmed magic item grass that recharges the spell casts count completely.

Regarding STR -
I did not get to test the STR stat heavily or see any rapid changes at the moment although while invading a host did hit me with a LARGE sword attack that knocked me into the air but luckily he was stunned by an enemy before it fully connected causing little dmg but it was relatively quick for such a large weapon. There was an invader who was wielding a new Zwei aand even some of his attacks were much faster so I think its fare to say they sped up STR weapons considerably with some attacks.

Regarding PVP –
Helpers and Invaders can both use Flasks :shock: I did not get to try my healing items but most likely those as well.

RSS - You can see the rss even when your undead (Cant remember if this is possible in dks1 since I spend so much time human)

Invaders have less HP maybe 75% or a bit more when invading. Not sure about whites, no one summoned me. :(

As an invader you cannot manipulate the environment levers anymore or attack enemies as usual but you can use bonfires to light your own torch in there world which may offer other possibilities for the bonfire but that is my speculation.

Invasion and summons as of now do not make a sound when entering your world but do give a screen warning as usual.

Invading from one spot in my world allowed me to invade in 3 different locations in the hosts world possibly putting invaders closer to the host now but 2 out of the 5 invasions I had did place me in the same locations, no random spawn spots.

Invaders and helpers have a timer confirmed as a small hour glass icon that’s barely visible. Most hosts died before I could test the timer.

Helper white signs are smaller for shorter timed helpers and normal for basic time helping.

PvP felt the same just slower and heavier, I did get a "Lag stab on a guy without even trying. It is WAY more difficult or at least different to backstab now and no where near what it used to be BUT it seems that faster characters may have an easier time doing so or at least characters with speed, (Agility?) Dying as an invader (at least killing yourself) does not remove humanity, when you return to your world you will be at full hp and human.
...More at link

Stats
LFVHK9t.jpg

Collection of known Dark Souls II features from recent beta videos and articles
General
Movement speed is increased.
Sprinting speed is now close to charging speed.
Estus restoration is now slower than Dark Souls I.
Action speed is dependent on Agility (More explained in the stats section).
Getting hit with plated armor makes a "clank" sound rather than a fleshy sound.
Humanity is now replaced with "Human Effigies".
Bonfire is no longer needed to turn human, just Human Effigies to turn human instantly.
Human Effigies don't restore health.
Healing stones are a new healing item.
Healing stones can be used when moving, but restoration speed (and/or amount) is dependent on stone type.
Three items in each hand.
Hollowed players can now get invaded.
Dedicated servers for better connections.
Enemies are more tenacious.
Enemies ambush around items.
Enemies switch from ranged to melee frequently.
More types of soapstones (Or different styles of soapstones).
Ranged weapons can be used while moving.
The more times died while hollow, the more your base health is reduced, similar to curse (Restored once humanity is restored).
Many previous sets from Dark Souls I will make an appearance in Dark Souls II.
Rings and arrows will give burden instead of being weightless, different from Dark Souls I.

Phantoms
Phantoms can be around when you light a Bonfire.
Phantoms can now drink estus, but restoration is incredibly slow.
Summoned Phantoms are now on a time limit depending on White Soapstone size.
Summoned Phantoms have a health reduction.
Hourglasses can be seen on Summoned Phantoms to probably show their time limit.
Phantoms reduce their time by killing enemies, player must throw their weight this time around.
When playing as a White Phantom, a message saying "Task Completed" will show when you're time limit is done. You'll be returned back home.

Covenants
Darkwraiths are now called the "Brotherhood of Blood".
New covenant "Way of the Blue" (Not official name) has players assist other invaded players.
Gravelording is still a possibility.

Animations
Many new realistic and fast animations with the help from MOCAP.
New emotes.
Players show fatigue when low on stamina.
Tumbling when the player falls from certain distances.
Different backstabs for different weapons.

UI
Summoned Phantom's health can now be monitored at the side of the screen.
Humanity counter now replaced with an icon (Rumored to be covenant icon?).
A heading appears at the top of the screen at times (Game news?).
More minimalist hud, item circle in lower left minimizes when not in use, entire hud disappears when not in use. Status effect icons are still visible.
Using gestures doesn't take you out of the gesture screen.
Gesture screen enlarged.
Bonfire screen zooms in on character.

Inventory
New inventory screen.
More in depth weapon categories (Straight swords, sabers, rapiers, polearms, etc).
Total of 40 items shown on each page with a description at the bottom.
Inventory screen zooms in on your character on the right.
Items can be used on the inventory screen without exiting.

Graphics
New lighting system that gives an even more realistic look.
More detailed faces and bodies.
Beards are included.
Cloth physics that react to the world.
Lighting Bonfires create an aura that lights up the room.

Ghazi

I like that the title screen is similar to Dark Souls 1, love that look.

Graphically it looks like a major improvement as well, really excited for this game!!!!!

It does look really good. Animations look improved s well. Still think the UI is a bit too big but it's nice that it looks cleaner.

I thought this was running on PC at first, but then I saw the PS button prompts. Wow the graphics have come a long way since Demon's

i-Lo

That upgrade in graphical fidelity makes me amazed at how far they have come in that regard since the days of Demon's Souls.

thejpfin

In my veins.
Looks really smooth, in dark souls online play always caused fps drop, but I don't really see any major fps drops when I look this gameplay. Good, really good.

i-Lo

One weird question:

Can this game's design (or TW2/3's) be implemented in a more sci-fi world, like say, star wars (light sabers instead of swords at the end)?

Coiote

Looks so nice. Even then, I want a next gen version so bad.

I would gladly pick this game on PC, but Dark Souls is plagued with cheaters last time I played.

I would gladly pick this game on PS3, providing the framerate is stable this time, but hacked PS3s have access to the PSN. While cheating didn't seem prevalent while playing TLOU, it was annoying when it happened. I can even imagine how worse would be if a cheater invades me in Dark Souls.

For a next version, I would only want 1080p60fps and no cheaters.

SGRemy

camera looked like it was resetting when the dude was walking up the hill (vid 1). kinda like it was working against him....

hrm....

Clott

second video ends in typical DS fashion, that fiend had a freaking sliver of life to go. I would have done the same thing, it could have gone either way.

Looks so nice. Even then, I want a next gen version so bad.

I would gladly pick this game on PC, but Dark Souls is plagued with cheaters last time I played.

I would gladly pick this game on PS3, providing the framerate is stable this time, but hacked PS3s have access to the PSN. While cheating didn't seem prevalent while playing TLOU, it was annoying when it happened. I can even imagine how worse would be if a cheater invades me in Dark Souls.

For a next version, I would only want 1080p60fps and no cheaters.
The absence of GFWL and having dedicated servers should really help with this issue.\ on the PC front this time around.

Have the animations been downgraded? Look at the way the guy runs. Looks absurd.

Other than that I like what I see. Seems like a return to Demon's Souls dark environments.

Top Bottom