• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 Beta Footage

Orayn

So... apparently someone discovered the descriptions of all armor, items,miracles and sorceries in the beta as well some dialogue, click at your own risk

BEWARE OF SPOILERS

Armor, Items, Miracles and Sorceries Names
http://pastie.org/pastes/8364220/text?key=bpqvjofdnqwvakrtodiyka

Armor, Items, Miracles and Sorceries Descriptions
http://pastie.org/pastes/8364221/text?key=y650snjyxh9prjna310xfq

NPC Dialogue
http://pastie.org/pastes/8364217/text?key=rjfvpxfaxra8ncnc6ztwmq

That dialogue has a lot of juicy story hints.

If you want blood, you got it.

Physalis

Neo Member
Maybe it's just me, but this has a very Demon's Souls feel to it. Also, I'm loving the UI, but I wonder how easy it'll be to do quick switches.

I'm hoping it's even better optimized for PC than DaS. I'm able to run DaS rather easily on my cruddy Acer laptop at 1280x720, with the exception of Blighttown. Fingers crossed!

Watched the first video, didn't watch the second as I want to see the boss for the first time when I actually play the game myself.

For the most part everything looks to be what I expected ( which is a good thing ). The enemies seem really agressive and actually pursue you instead of slowly shambling towards you ( I guess DkS already did this with Black Knights though ). Also the magic spells look pretty badass, and while I doubt it'll come close to the greatness that was Dragon's Dogma's spell system, it seems a lot better than DkS's six different flavors of the same spell bullshit.

One thing I was a bit confused about were the arrows that were constantly zooming across the level. Were those being fired by the assassin characters, traps, or just part of the level theme? There seemed to be too many to just be coming from enemies.

Orayn

Maybe it's just me, but this has a very Demon's Souls feel to it. Also, I'm loving the UI, but I wonder how easy it'll be to do quick switches.

I'm hoping it's even better optimized for PC than DaS. I'm able to run DaS rather easily on my cruddy Acer laptop at 1280x720, with the exception of Blighttown. Fingers crossed!

I'd say the UI design goes back even further. Look up some videos of Eternal Ring, King's Field IV/The Ancient City, and Shadow Tower Abyss. They're more heavily "themed" than the first two Souls games and have neat sound effects just like this.

sixghost

Are you no longer able to move while you are accessing your inventory? The way the character is framed on the very right of the screen sort of suggests that.

Only allowed myself to peak at one video for a few minutes, want to go in fresh.

The only thing that bothers me is how even and consistent the light from the torch is on the environment. Shouldn't it flicker more and be less even? That's just a nitpick though, this looks amazing.

Orayn

Are you no longer able to move while you are accessing your inventory? The way the character is framed on the very right of the screen sort of suggests that.

Might be, but I'm alright with that since you do have more equipment slots to compensate.

Tilian

Banned
From, if you wanted Estus recovery to take longer to perform, why didn't you just prolong the drinking part of the animation? It looks soooo silly seeing the character casually reach into his back pocket during the heat of battle.
It does indeed, though I suspect the new Agility stat might modify such actions now.

Sullichin

It's been said before but I wonder how this agility stat and elemental damage being to stats will affect base level SL runs. Being limited to mid roll at SL1 would be pretty tough. Maybe there's a ring or something.

Orayn

It's been said before but I wonder how this agility stat and elemental damage being to stats will affect base level SL runs. Being limited to mid roll at SL1 would be pretty tough. Maybe there's a ring or something.

Maybe agility just allows better rolls at a given level of equip weight, like a gradual version of the Dark Wood Grain Ring.

Or maybe it just linearly increase the speed and/or i-frames. The stat description kind of points toward this.

Orayn

The strength stat says it increases weapon attack power. Does that mean weapons won't scale with other stats anymore?

No, the detailed stat listing still has scaling values listed for STR, DEX, INT, and FAI. Maybe STR increases base damage? Or they're just saying that damage scaling is really its only function apart from meeting stat requirements.

I had hoped for more detailed and gruesome death animations for enemies and the player, but it's pretty cool how the player explodes into green mist matching the bloodstain.

Sullichin

No, the detailed stat listing still has scaling values listed for STR, DEX, INT, and FAI. Maybe STR increases base damage? Or they're just saying that damage scaling is really its only function apart from meeting stat requirements.

Would love to see STR get a boost from what it is in Dark Souls. With DEX increasing poison and bleed (but no longer increasing casting time, thankfully), hopefully there's reasons to go pure STR.

Rambler

Would love to see STR get a boost from what it is in Dark Souls. With DEX increasing poison and bleed (but no longer increasing casting time, thankfully), hopefully there's reasons to go pure STR.
I hope heavy weapons get improved movesets and hyper armor, like in Demon's Souls.

Miss Riot

Neo Member
this looks like so much fun, but I don't know if I'm cut out for the pressure! I beat all the other games but it makes me feel like I aged a couple years just due to the abuse.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
This stuff is from a chinese video that appears to show areas yet to be shown on other videos:

- Monster black phantoms (alhtough the area had no regular enemies, so might be placeholders.

- Demon Souls style NPC Black Phantoms. Specifically I'm talking a big hulking knight with a tower shield and a sword the size of California.

- Flowing capes are a thing. And they look awesome.

edit:

The NPC black phantom was rocking hard the player... seems we're back to demon souls style npc black phantoms, no longer wimpy kirk or maneater freesouls mildred it appears.

Boss spoilers ahead:

After the NPC black phantom, there's a fog gate that leads to the chariot boss (first encounter if i understood what the devs said at e3). Remember the other boss encounter with skeleton wheels? Looks like boss adds are a thing now. The chariot boss has regenerating skeletons, Nito style.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The one thing I'm pretty excited for (from earlier footage I watched -- I refuse to watch beta footage) is what seems like viable off-hand weapons.

Yeah, you could always use offhand stuff but you couldn't really mix the two weapons into neat combos, and often the offhand set had just a single swipe attack, nothing very interesting.

So being able to really -- viably -- dual wield is pretty exciting. Most of my builds don't use shields, so this is quite important to me.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Also, I'm really concerned about spoilers now that the datamined stuff is around. There's like 6 months ahead to have the whole shebang spoilered.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I didn't know the beta offered an entire area to explore, seems like there's a lot to play around with... I thought it was a pvp only affair with arenas and nothing else. Pleasantly surprised, now I really want to get in.

Mentok

Banned
Just hook it up to my veins!!

jizz-in-my-pants-o.gif

First time in a LONG time I'm pre-ordering and probably getting the black armour edition. I just heard that originally the collector's edition was going to have a chess set....man that would've been amazing if true!

RK9039

{[32172000, A miracle that launches a giant spear of lightning.

This miracle came into the possession of the Melfian clergy through ancient lore. Little is understood about the source of its power. Perhaps this miracle belonged to some long-forgotten hero.]}

G7X8

I love FromSoftware.

Orayn

The walking animation is bad.

It's definitely different, but I wouldn't characterize call it bad. It's a little stiffer, but characters' feet seem more firmly rooted to the ground, giving it less of a "skating" look than Dark/Demon's souls. Maybe they're using parametric animation now, similar to Source engine games? Dark Souls used a lot of motion capture that just swapped out weapons and armor. It was consistent and usually looked pretty natural, but it also had weird side effects like solid metal chest plates flexing when characters sprinted.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages, and I'm sure From Software is listening to feedback since animations are a big part of the Souls experience. Let's take a wait and see approach.

RK9039

{[40410000, An unusual ring of unknown origin. Limits the wearer's HP reduction when hollow.

Though the desire to regain one's lost power is only human, this ring will not truly return its wearer to the living.]} Basically Cling Ring confirmed.

I had a feeling this would come back.

Akainu

It's definitely different, but I wouldn't characterize call it bad. It's a little stiffer, but characters' feet seem a little more firmly rooted to the ground, giving it less of a "skating" look than Dark/Demon's souls. Maybe they're using parametric animation now, similar to Source engine games. Dark Souls used a lot of motion capture that just swapped out weapons and armor. It was consistent and usually looked pretty natural, but it also had weird side effects like solid metal chest plates flexing when characters sprinted.
um hmm uh huh. It's pretty bad.
They both have their advantages and disadvantages, and I'm sure From Software is listening to feedback since animations are a big part of the Souls experience. Let's take a wait and see approach.
Sure ok, but it's still bad.

Great shitty wheel skeletons in a boss fight? That's what the last game was missing! That being said I hope they don't reuse too many enemies.

vilmer_

So... apparently someone discovered the descriptions of all armor, items,miracles and sorceries in the beta as well some dialogue, click at your own risk

BEWARE OF SPOILERS

Armor, Items, Miracles and Sorceries Names
http://pastie.org/pastes/8364220/text?key=bpqvjofdnqwvakrtodiyka

Armor, Items, Miracles and Sorceries Descriptions
http://pastie.org/pastes/8364221/text?key=y650snjyxh9prjna310xfq

NPC Dialogue
http://pastie.org/pastes/8364217/text?key=rjfvpxfaxra8ncnc6ztwmq

Holy hell I need to stop myself right here. Just a peak..

daniels

After looking at more gameplay i am not sure if i like everything i see :/
Is it me or is your character unusual fast? i mean the "standard" knight can only midroll but it looks like he runs much faster than the even the lightest character in dark souls.. not to mention that the running animation looks bad and the footseps dont match the running speed which makes the running animation almost look like ice skating...

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
What they're doing with the resistance stat seems interesting, but I wonder if it will still ultimately be useless. Maybe tank builds will want to use it?
Edit:
Looks like the resistance stat helps resist equipment damaging attacks

qream

Do we know anyhting about the story of Dark Souls 2 ?
Does it take place in Lordran as well or is it related to it in some way ?

I see the skeleton wheel enemies in the gif you posted, they were in Dark Souls and I hated them.
also the area looks like it could be Nito's graveyard (even if it's not)

I will be very upset WHEN I die to those bone skeletons.

Very Well Written Beta Review
Regarding PVE -
PVE - I will try and stay away from what was already said, you can take my word for it that everything said about the game so far is on point. Interaction with the enemies is good but the new heavier (Slightly delayed) feeling to the attacks and rolls takes time to get used to in comparison to both souls games before it unless your a duel swordsman in which the speed feels right at home. Targeting is odd with some spells but it might be intentional as some blasted an aoe off target but still hit. Same with weapons, heavy weapons are the same (Mostly, I will explain later) slow but strong and fast weapons are fast with less dmg. Spamming attacks with a slower weapon (Halberd) doesn't seem great since the weapon targets the last area you were facing even when an enemy moves around you, might be changed at the end or kept this way.

Regarding items -
Items – some consumables have new animations like humanity. Flasks are slower to heal while enemies are more aggressive. Confirmed magic item grass that recharges the spell casts count completely.

Regarding STR -
I did not get to test the STR stat heavily or see any rapid changes at the moment although while invading a host did hit me with a LARGE sword attack that knocked me into the air but luckily he was stunned by an enemy before it fully connected causing little dmg but it was relatively quick for such a large weapon. There was an invader who was wielding a new Zwei aand even some of his attacks were much faster so I think its fare to say they sped up STR weapons considerably with some attacks.

Regarding PVP –
Helpers and Invaders can both use Flasks :shock: I did not get to try my healing items but most likely those as well.

RSS - You can see the rss even when your undead (Cant remember if this is possible in dks1 since I spend so much time human)

Invaders have less HP maybe 75% or a bit more when invading. Not sure about whites, no one summoned me. :(

As an invader you cannot manipulate the environment levers anymore or attack enemies as usual but you can use bonfires to light your own torch in there world which may offer other possibilities for the bonfire but that is my speculation.

Invasion and summons as of now do not make a sound when entering your world but do give a screen warning as usual.

Invading from one spot in my world allowed me to invade in 3 different locations in the hosts world possibly putting invaders closer to the host now but 2 out of the 5 invasions I had did place me in the same locations, no random spawn spots.

Invaders and helpers have a timer confirmed as a small hour glass icon that’s barely visible. Most hosts died before I could test the timer.

Helper white signs are smaller for shorter timed helpers and normal for basic time helping.

PvP felt the same just slower and heavier, I did get a "Lag stab on a guy without even trying. It is WAY more difficult or at least different to backstab now and no where near what it used to be BUT it seems that faster characters may have an easier time doing so or at least characters with speed, (Agility?) Dying as an invader (at least killing yourself) does not remove humanity, when you return to your world you will be at full hp and human.
...More at link

Top Bottom