• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 Beta Footage

gaugebozo

I regret playing some of Dark Souls with a little internet help, so I only watched 15 seconds of the first video, but it looks great!

Combat still looks terrible.

WTF? "Mooooommm! You have to take this back to Walmart! I'm mashing buttons as hard as I can and it's not working!"

RK9039

The Meat Cleaver better be in this game, I need my main weapon back. I cried when I found out it wasn't there in Dark Souls 1.

popyea

From, if you wanted Estus recovery to take longer to perform, why didn't you just prolong the drinking part of the animation? It looks soooo silly seeing the character casually reach into his back pocket during the heat of battle.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I really want to watch this... but not watching pre-release media of games/movies has dramatically increased my enjoyment of them since I began abstaining.

sigh... will have to hold strong.

Orayn

From, if you wanted Estus recovery to take longer to perform, why didn't you just prolong the drinking part of the animation? It looks soooo silly seeing the character casually reach into his back pocket during the heat of battle.

Because then people would complain about it being a different kind of silly like Monster Hunter. :p

LogicStep

I really want to watch this... but not watching pre-release media of games/movies has dramatically increased my enjoyment of them since I began abstaining.

sigh... will have to hold strong.

You are not alone. I haven't watched much and I can't wait to go in blind.

Grief.exe

Looks great. I know in the first game you can sort of move things around so you have your common gear at the top, but still scrolling through a million things to get what you wanted was a huge hassle. The new menus look much more functional.

Looks like an inventory system designed for PC.

Reminds me of Morrowind in a lot of ways.

Serra

I might just have to go with a strength build for the first playthrough, that huge sword (which I think ENB said was a zweihander) looks SICK.

popyea

Because then people would complain about it being a different kind of silly like Monster Hunter. :p

Instead of the flex they can extend their arms and PRAISE THE SUN!!

But they could honestly just have the character wipe their mouth or something. Any kind of cool down animation would sit better with me than a warm-up one. There's nothing about drinking that requires the character to be so damn careful about it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I wish they'd put in the original Japanese controls (Run on X(A), consumables on Sqaure(X). I'd like to try them as they seem more intuitive.

I'm assuming they got switched around because of the whole X/O confirm/deny difference between JP and NA/EU consoles.

Varth

Any clue when and how invites for those who got in the Beta are being sent? Or the ticket from PS Store will grant access to all who downloaded it?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Nice stats explanation:
LFVHK9t.jpg

Combat still looks terrible.

I heard Ryse plays as well as it looks.

Maybe you should pick up and xbox one and get that game at launch.

Anyway I really want to buy this game on PS4, but I doubt I'll last the wait, probably have to double dip :(

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Can't believe that they're bringing back resistance.

Such a useless stat.

Unless they decide to make it more important?

RK9039

Hmm, it appears Strength doesn't scale any elements like the others do. Well... looks like I might to a Faith/Dex build.

Such a useless stat.

Resistance increases physical defense as well as bleed/poison resistance, seems quite useful.

Antiwhippy

Hmm, dark attack?

Is it a branch of the dark magic stuff from the DLC?

Whats this about equipment breaking?

There's durability in the souls games.

In fact I'm pretty sure that there have been some attacks that are focused on breaking durability.

Orayn

Such a useless stat.

Break damage might indeed indicate that, yeah. Builds based around wrecking equipment could be downright nasty, and RES would be important if it was the only way to counter Scraping Spear 2.0.

Poison and bleed could also factor into this now that they have DEX scaling.

Skab

Hmm, dark attack?

Is it a branch of the dark magic stuff from the DLC?

There's durability in the souls games.

In fact I'm pretty sure that there have been some attacks are focused on breaking that durability.

I know that, the wording just sounded different than durability.

Antiwhippy

Hmm, it appears Strength doesn't scale any elements like the others do. Well... looks like I might to a Faith/Dex build.

Resistance increases physical defense as well as bleed/poison resistance, seems quite useful.

Ah alright, I missed that.

What was the stat that governed defense in dark souls?

RK9039

If I remember correctly it was resistance as well. But your Soul Level also determined the amount of defense you have.

I don't know, maybe it still won't be as useful in Dks2. I'd rather get a lot of Magic defense instead.

Serra

If I remember correctly it was resistance as well. But your Soul Level also determined the amount of defense you have.

I don't know, maybe it still won't be as useful in Dks2. I'd rather get a lot of Magic defense instead.

Im gonna go ahead and assume that resistance will be totally useless once again, just like last time.

Antiwhippy

Huh, alright, dunno what to think of resistance in DkS 2 then.

Thinking that a dex/agi build is going to be really fun, but magic look super fun too...

Orayn

Guys, check out that link at the bottom of the stat image. It reveals some neat new things, like level of sin, poise damage, counter attack damage, evade effectiveness, block/switch speed, and percent damage reduction distinct from armor. Very cool!

Armor, Resistance, Soul Level. Ring of Steel Protection also increased it.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

Zeth

Great stuff. I love how we have so many people digging through files and translating now. Not that the fan base was small for Dark Souls - or even Demons' Souls, it's just healthier now. That's a good thing.

Anyone else remember the lead up to Dark Souls - EpicNameBro became a pseudo-celebrity for being one of the first English-speakers to get the game in Japan and make YT videos.

Hohoho that new boss, named
King of Skeletons
seems so fun :D His area is really good looking and moody, plus there are multiple
Bonewheel Skeletons
with him :D

Well yeah, the PS4 logo on the copyright notice at the front suggests that a PS4 version is a certainty.

Looks good, but I wish the art direction was a bit more inspiring. What's been shown so far I hate to admit seems kinda dull for a Souls game.

That was a PSN logo.

RK9039

So... apparently someone discovered the descriptions of all armor, items,miracles and sorceries in the beta as well some dialogue, click at your own risk

BEWARE OF SPOILERS

Armor, Items, Miracles and Sorceries Names
http://pastie.org/pastes/8364220/text?key=bpqvjofdnqwvakrtodiyka

Armor, Items, Miracles and Sorceries Descriptions
http://pastie.org/pastes/8364221/text?key=y650snjyxh9prjna310xfq

NPC Dialogue
http://pastie.org/pastes/8364217/text?key=rjfvpxfaxra8ncnc6ztwmq

I know I shouldn't click on those.

...But I must.

ed: OHHHHH SHEEEEEEEET.

Top Bottom