• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 changes discussed, focus on removing tedium & backtracking [Fact Sheet]

UrbanRats

I was just going to ask the same thing. I might sound old and bitter when I say this, but why are so many players these days seemingly allergic to going back through places they've been before, due to that being logical in world creation? I think back to games such as Metroid and Super Metroid, and there was a lot of backtracking in games such as those. Worlds were developed as places that could actually exist, not linear paths as if you're on an amusement park ride.

Dark Souls was never big enough that it was a hassle to retread old ground, and doing so made me feel more like I was in a world that actually existed somewhere. When some people complain strongly about backtracking, it makes me wonder about their attention span.

Backtracking is cool if it has strategic meaning.

For example playing REbirth the other day, backtracking is significant in that game due to the scarcity of ammo, you're constantly looking at the map trying to remember which room or corridor has zombies still left in it, which has Hunters, which can get you where you want faster, which has one way doors etc etc.
Backtracking in a Resident Evil (or Silent Hill) game make sense.

In Dark Souls it makes sense just at the very beginning, Undead Burg poses ZERO risk, or really little, after you finish Lower Undead Burg, for example, so going back through it is not challenging or engaging if you already know the place, in the same way that it is in a Resident Evil 1.

pixlexic

Banned
alright then how can you make backtracking "fun" or "ease it in" without getting rid of it completely then

pretty sure you can keep it optional, like have a item oneway ticket back to your base,very limited, so you let the player decide when he really wants to go back quicker or save for later.

They already have that. Homeward bone I think it was called?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Backtracking is cool if it has strategic meaning.

For example playing REbirth the other day, backtracking is significant in that game due to the scarcity of ammo, you're constantly looking at the map trying to remember which room or corridor has zombies still left in it, which has Hunters, which can get you where you want faster, which has one way doors etc etc.
Backtracking in a Resident Evil (or Silent Hill) game make sense.

In Dark Souls it makes sense just at the very beginning, Undead Burg poses ZERO risk, really little after you finish Lower Undead Burg, for example, so going back through it is not challenging or engaging if you already know the place, in the same way that it is in a Resident Evil 1.
Undead Burg poses zero risk even the first time

What major area doesn't have a bonfire? After the expansion/patch they even have a teleport location in every major area.

I guess he means New Londo Ruins, but really there are two incredibly close by (next to elevator at Dark Root Basin and Firelink).

My major annoyance regarding bonfires was the lack of teleport options at certain ones, but they did at least address that with the patch.

I also did not have an issue with backtracking, but it can't hurt for the people that do.

Glad they also will streamline the game more, I disliked that the game almost required you for some things to get it from the community or just searched it on the wiki. I get the design decision of wanting to discuss strategies with other people and stuff, but it just does not work in this day and age. It just requires an extra Google search.

Those people wanna use the internet to wallow in their ignorance instead of lighting a candle? Good. It's what that was done that way for: actual social interaction. Mystery. Wonderment.

It's probably the twelth time I've pointed this out.

They might as well just bring back the superior Nexus hub from Demon's. The backtracking is a consequence of this interconnected "open" world they've created, and they've practically admitted as much by saying this.

"You died in another game, yet the Nexus still binds your soul!"

LegatoB

They already have that. Homeward bone I think it was called?
The Homeward Bone takes you back to the last bonfire you used, so while it certainly can be used as a warp back to a "base" in the early game, you have to really know what you're doing, and do any/all areas you're passing through in one shot. Not a big deal for experts speedrunning/replaying (Firelink -> Queelag is easy and fun now), but doesn't really help new players/first time players.

Servbot24

Banned
I like backtracking, but then again DeS didn't really have it and it was basically just as good as DaS. I'm sure this game will turn out great.

The main thing I want is the atmospheric locations and great enemy designs.

UrbanRats

Lol, depends on who you are.
The first time you have a weak character and still have to understand how the game works, so it does keep your attention and focus high.
Plus things like the Black Knight guarding the ring or the Metal Boar provide a healthy stream of stimuli in the first run.

bj00rn_

Banned
More good news:

Dark Souls 2 is server based, but will include offline option

CVG Link

Yeah; I actually didn't like the online mode in DS......Options are good anyhow..So win-win

Karkador

Banned
The likely solution for them will be to give you warping between bonfires from much earlier on, and only to fires you've already lit.

So you could just stand around in human form and insta-kill invaders by your sheer presence? Give the black knight a mean look and have him jump off a ledge in fear? How's that no weapons/no armor run treating you? I can't imagine you need either if there is literally zero risk of death in the Burg.

linko9

All sounds great! The only thing I'm slightly worried about is that they'll just have fast travel/warping without all of the neat shortcuts that made the original game's world so interconnected. Ideally, you wouldn't need fast travel at all, or would just need a few warp points. But they've already stated the the nature of the game world will be very similar to the last game, so I'm not really worried.

Aeana

Learning the way that the world in Dark Souls was interconnected was one of the more satisfying aspects. I probably wouldn't have understood it nearly as well if I could warp earlier on. I think it's cool how I can still remember exactly where everything is and how to get everywhere, which I realized when I was trying to explain how to get somewhere to someone a week or two ago. I guess we'll see.

I also enjoy the backtracking to earlier levels and finding out that I now have a key to unlock a whole new area. Thought it made the world more complex than just a straight shot to different levels.

More good news:

Dark Souls 2 is server based, but will include offline option

CVG Link

Yeah; I actually didn't like the online mode in DS......Options are good anyhow..So win-win

Awesome that servers are back. Definitely gonna play more co-op in this one.

And I didn't really mind the backtracking in Dark Souls. It only got annoying whenever I went to a blacksmith but I ended up having to go run to another one to get the weapon I wanted. So if it means less of stuff like that, I'm cool with it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
So you could just stand around in human form and insta-kill invaders by your sheer presence? Give the black knight a mean look and have him jump off a ledge in fear? How's that no weapons/no armor run treating you? I can't imagine you need either if there is literally zero risk of death in the Burg.
I read the messages on the floor so I didn't go to the Black Knight

tengiants

This worries me. There was nothing tedious about backtracking in Dark Souls. In fact, with all the shortcuts you unlock and the way the world was tied together made backtracking one of the cooler parts of the game.

hype--;

Riddy

I agree that the backtracking in DS1 was part of the overall experience. Even though warping was introduced later in the game, it was after the player had learned the layout of the world by heart. From what I read, it seems they want to implement warping from the get-go? If that's true, I think it's a bad decision :(

DS1 was the ultimate adventure because you were forced to tread through this beautiful world. Warping around for convenience and less "tediousness" is really misguided I think. This is the ultimate example of "It's about the journey, not the destination".

That said, my primary fear was the the game would be Call of Duty'd (aka made casual friendly), and after reading the interview, I'm (mostly) at ease. I can't fucking wait!

Acerac

Banned
Backtracking was an issue for Dark Souls? Never noticed because the level design let me skip around with relative ease.

Oh well I guess this might not suck. Less backtracking worked in Demon's Souls. =/

UrbanRats

Tanimura also said some content will carry over from Dark Souls to Dark Souls 2: "In terms of equipment and covenants, we can't give you very much information at this point. But there will be things that carry over from Dark Souls to Dark Souls 2. There will be adjustment and newly added features as well."

:O

Learning the way that the world in Dark Souls was interconnected was one of the more satisfying aspects. I probably wouldn't have understood it nearly as well if I could warp earlier on. I think it's cool how I can still remember exactly where everything is and how to get everywhere, which I realized when I was trying to explain how to get somewhere to someone a week or two ago. I guess we'll see.
I think you can cut back on the backtracking while still keeping the metroidvania world.
Infact, they said the world is even more open than Dark Souls, but about the same general idea.

It sounds like they really are analyzing the original and focusing on what a Souls game means to people. I wish more studios would do this when making a sequel. I was super impressed at how the footage from yesterday looked very similar to what we've already played, but at the same time it seems like they've built on the idea quite a bit. So far it looks like this is exactly how you make a sequel.

Zeliard

Warping was only available in the latter half of the game, which seemed a little bit useless."

The fact that warping wasn't available for so long is what made the open world design actually meaningful. One of the best parts about Dark Souls is when it dawns on you just how interconnected the world is. If you start adding more possibilities for quick travel, you threaten to ruin a part of that.

By the time you do get warping, you're already very familiar with the world from having traveled through its environments and seeing what leads where. It was perfect.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
It's great to hear that Namco isn't inserting themselves into the development process of this game. When publishers start dictating to developers of an established franchise about how the next one needs to be made, the result is usually a poorer game.

It sounds like they are just going to be offering the choice to warp between bonfires earlier on than in Dark Souls, which is a good thing. There's a difference between having the choice to warp back or to traverse back manually and being forced to backtrack everywhere as was the case for most of Dark Souls.

Again, they don't say that you can't backtrack if you want to or that there won't be the kinds of rewards of revisiting old areas that there were in Dark Souls. It just sounds like the option to warp between bonfires will be available earlier, which is great for certain situations or for impatient players and should be totally ignorable for those who don't want to use that option.

Also the repeated confirmation of a dedicated server setup makes me extremely excited. It's undeniable that the summoning system and everything relating to PvP in Dark Souls was broken due to not having that dedicated server to equalize the experience for everyone.

I'm not sure how removing forced backtracking automatically means the experience will be more linear. Fast travel affecting the sense of interconnectedness of the world might be a more valid issue, but as long as people retain the ability to walk from point A to point B, I'm not sure how that's major either. Not having to backtrack does not automatically mean the game is structured like a corridor, it would only really mean that you don't have to run through areas with nothing in them if you don't care to.

Besides, open worlds are an illusion, every game with an end goal is linear. What people are really concerned about is whether their choices have a real effect over how they progress and that they can have unique experiences depending on how they play.

Nobody wants Dark Souls to be one long corridor, but I think we've already seen enough to know this won't be the case. As long as the environments are still put together in an interesting way with expansive and varied areas, being able to hop around to already visited spots shouldn't detract from the world.

Zukuu

Banned
I want a shield design like Adjudicator's Shield, loved that kind of artwork style. Combine that with PRAISE THE SUN-BRO.

Dresden

PUT A BONFIRE IN EVERY MAJOR AREA.

If you want to combat tedium, that's number 1 on your list.

This is like, not a problem at all. Bonfires are forgiving enough as it is, we don't need more of them. The only real price the Souls games exact for death is the penalty of redoing a level if you die. The more bonfires/checkpoint-equivalents there are, the less of a penalty it becomes. As it is, we've already lost the tension and joy of busting through, say, 3-2 in one go.

There's quite a few things I hope the team doesn't listen to the fans on.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I think there were potential backtracking problems in dark souls that you could dig yourself into but were probably outliers. For example, if you got all the way to the end of ash lake before you had the lord vessel, that would suck a lot.

Similarly, I got as far as it allows you to go in the tomb of the giants without the lord vessel and it was really frustrating to be blocked by a golden fog door and realizing I would have to get all the way back out and then all the way back in later.

S0N0S

I continue to set myself up for disappointment before I read anything regarding Dark Souls II, and yet my excitement has only grown. Sad to say such a thing, but the industry of this generation has done everything it could to ruin consumer confidence, all in a quest to extract the maximum amount of profits.

Keep it up, FromSoft!

The lack of real back tracking sounds terrible, and nothing was ever really tedious to begin with. Only thing that could be really questioned was killing NPCs, but even that had it's place. It helped round out the world as an actual place where your actions mattered.

Removing backtracking might not be such a good thing. I loved the Castlevania/Metroid style of exploration of returning to old areas, hitting new shortcuts and finding new paths. Even the bonfires were very remniscent of the save rooms in Castlevania/Metroid.

Those people wanna use the internet to wallow in their ignorance instead of lighting a candle? Good. It's what that was done that way for: actual social interaction. Mystery. Wonderment.

It's probably the twelth time I've pointed this out.

"You died in another game, yet the Nexus still binds your soul!"

I do not get what you are saying. Do you want people to discuss with others? Because I do not see why people who want to do that when searching the solution is so much easier.

Top Bottom