• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin announced for PS4/XBO/PC - April 2015

ACESmkII

I've put in over 300 hours between Demon's and Dark Souls but I skipped out on Dark Souls 2 because of the lack of Myazaki and Lighting/Graphic downgrade issue. But I must say the fact that I can play it as a remaster with all DLC no less is very tempting...

...however after Bloodborne will I want to?

Parsnip

For me it all depends on the upgrade price on PC.

And the graphical enhancements of course. But mainly on the price.

all the new graphics and performance upgrades, and the new online stuff, you have to pay for

Oh dear lord that's precious. Especially after they shit the bed with the performance and visual fidelity of the original Dark Souls on PC. Makes me appreciate CDProjekt more with the way they handled giving out the enhanced edition upgrade in it's entirety free to pre-existing owners of The Witcher 2.

Seems like the type of game that would benefit greatly by having it on the newer hardware. The console version I mean. Never played it myself. I'm under the impression that the PC version was more enjoyable then the console version because of the better performance. This is great news for the console owners without gaming PCs at least.

epmode

I fully expected an eventual PS4/XBone version with the lighting and stuff that was cut from the last gen version. I didn't expect Namco to resell the improved game to PC owners, however.

This is better than PC players not getting the improvements at all, but really, fuck Namco.

Virdix

Alright guys, I never finished DaS2, I was busy with work and family stuff and lost interest. I was planning on playing through it and all of the DLC later this week as I'll be out of town with no internet. I was in the middle of downloading when this got announced. Should I hold off and wait for the re-release? Or should I just go for it.

MUnited83

For you.
For me it all depends on the upgrade price on PC.

And the graphical enhancements of course. But mainly on the price.

I wouldn't my breath for a good price, as the upgrade will include all the DLC. Unless they give a further discount for previous DLC/Season pass owners.

red731

I still haven't finished DSouls1, was in alpha for DSouls2 and Bloodborne....
There is something that is pulling me towards these games...

Ratrat

I was just about to start paying Dark Souls 2 for the first time on 360....

Pretty cool though, I can see myself playing this later on with all the dlc+enhancements.

Serviam

Will double dip this one. Have 1000gs on 360 but never got the DLCs. Will have to wait until I am done with Bloodborne tho...

params7

Banned
1wn2c38jme.gif

it more namco than from I wager.

I'm not really a fan of how existing PC users are getting shafted with this release. Unless of course there is a relatively cheap upgrade option. I'm not quite sure that I'm a big enough Dark Souls fan to double dip otherwise.

I don't think it's a big deal. People already got their money's worth with the original game, they can wait for a sale if they believe the new version isn't worth full price.

I've put in over 300 hours between Demon's and Dark Souls but I skipped out on Dark Souls 2 because of the lack of Myazaki and Lighting/Graphic downgrade issue. But I must say the fact that I can play it as a remaster with all DLC no less is very tempting...

...however after Bloodborne will I want to?

Are you me?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
just sayin, most PC games let you choose between DX9 and DX11 effects/visuals by checking a box in a menu, or using a launch shortcut

not for these guys, though

better open up that Steam wallet

Vitten

More Souls is always good news though the timing is awfull...

This really needs to come out BEFORE Bloodborne to have any chance at commercial success.

With a release date of April 2015, I fully expect the PC and next-gen versions to have the pre-downgraded lighting.
ds2-downgrade-git.png

We can only hope...

duckroll

Here's the Japanese press release: http://www.4gamer.net/games/196/G019662/20141125021/

Relevant footnotes:
※従来機版と新世代機版はそれぞれゲームサーバーが異なります。
※従来機版と新世代機版とのオンラインマッチングはできません。(PS3とPS4のマッチングはできません)
※従来機版から新世代機版へのセーブデータの引き継ぎはできません。
※Windows(DirectX.9対応)版からWindows(DirectX.11対応)版へのアップグレードはできません。

- Last-gen and new-gen versions use different game servers.
- Last-gen and new-gen versions are not compatible for online matchmaking. (PS3 to PS4 matchmaking is not supported)
- You cannot transfer save data from last-gen to new-gen.
- You cannot upgrade the Windows (DirectX9) version to the Windows (DirectX11) version.

In the press release they also specify very clearly that "last-gen" refers specifically to the PS3, 360, and DX9 versions, while "new-gen" refers to the PS4, XBO, and DX11 versions. No confusion.

DkS2 is still a great game. i've only got platinum's in 2 games and it is one of those 2.

If the graphics are updated for PS4 to look like it originally did i am in.

March and April have the potential to be GREAT.

fantastic. Loved it on PS3 but now will be able to play it on a proper system that can handle it and with all the DLC. Really looking forward to this!

Here's the Japanese press release: http://www.4gamer.net/games/196/G019662/20141125021/

Relevant footnotes:

- Last-gen and new-gen versions are not compatible for online matchmaking. (PS3 to PS4 matchmaking is not supported)
- You cannot upgrade the Windows (DirectX9) version to the Windows (DirectX11) version.

In the press release they also specify very clearly that "last-gen" refers specifically to the PS3, 360, and DX9 versions, while "new-gen" refers to the PS4, XBO, and DX11 versions. No confusion.

Yikes, at the statements above! Might buy the updated version when it gets cheaper

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Do we know the framerate? Surely it must be 60, considering it runs 60 on a shitty PC?

MormaPope

Banned
Saw this in the Kotaku article:

Whew. Consider this Dark Souls II: Remastered... with a clunkier title. There's also a new patch—v1.10—that you'll get no matter which version of Dark Souls II you own. The patch "will add new features including an additional NPC to seek out along the treacherous quest through Drangleic as well as expanded story, in-game events, improved balance, and online matchmaking functionality.

So for PC owners, the only thing that you would be paying for is DX11 support and the DLC if you didn't own it beforehand.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Amazing.

Parsnip

Relevant footnotes:

Still leaves the window wide open for a loyalty discount at least. It better be a deep one.

Relevant footnotes:

Fuck-you-half-baked.gif

Fucking bamco.

Top Bottom