• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin announced for PS4/XBO/PC - April 2015

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You know. The only thing that would make me less sour on this whole ordeal is if PS4, Xbone and DX11 players could play together. And at the very least dedis for arena fights.

Wait, wait, wait.

So not only is the new content free of charge for last gen owners, the three previous DLCs are going to be free too?

Someone please confirm.

Yeah "free". Because the Remastered will not be 70$...

Last Gen owner just get the new NPCs and stuff. DLC will still cost a thing.

StuBurns

Banned
I actually regret buying a PS4 more than I did before because now I don't want to spend a dime on Bloodborne.

What they're doing with the PC release is ridiculous, I hope people bitch loudly about it.
From don't make these decisions. Miyazaki was pissed Bamco held the DS DLC back from console players last time.

When the whole changed lighting debacle went down, I decided to wait for the in my view eventual remaster for the new consoles. I'm counting on the levels of the initial reveals levels of dynamic lighting.

Wasn't the remnants of the original graphical code found within the PC-release?

smuf

I'm about halfway through the PC version, so I find it ridiculous there's no upgrade path. There's no reason there shouldn't be one.

I actually regret buying a PS4 more than I did before because now I don't want to spend a dime on Bloodborne.

What they're doing with the PC release is ridiculous, I hope people bitch loudly about it.

40 replies on the community forum in an hour... seems fairly vocal. Hoping this blows up somehow.

Screw From Software. And DkSII is a mechanical turd; fix the gameplay first before remaking graphics that were supposed to be released for PC ten months ago.

Now we know who is the Japanese Ubisoft--Capcom is on a tier of its own obviously.

Corpekata

Banned
Bunch of other companies shaking their heads thinking why they didn't decide to call their PC remasters DX11 versions and making it sound like a big deal. Bet we'll see some do it in the future.

Better be a generous loyalty discount.

Alastor

I bought the game on PC day one and I won't be paying Namco any money for a graphical upgrade.

That shit should be free.
Maybe modders wil somehow make the improvements compatible with the old version.

UnrealEck

So they reduced the graphics for the old consoles and PC suffered, now they're re-hash...ahem I mean 'remastering' the game because they have more capable console hardware.

Funny that's what I recall many people predicting back before the PC release. Nice one.
I'll not be supporting it.

fedexpeon

Banned
Please don't announce a CE, please don't announce a CE...I already have two copies of DS2(normal and CE), so triple dipping...

Geezus, my wallet's soul is hallowing with this news.

Steez

So, umm, I'm seeing here some conflicting reports. Polygon says that the last gen versions are getting the gameplay and content upgrades as well, but IGN seems to disagree.

On next-gen consoles and DX11 PCs, the compilation includes Dark Souls II, its three DLC chapters, and new game content including more enemies, different enemy placement, and an increased number of players allowed in multiplayer.

Scholar of the First Sin on PS3, Xbox 360, and DX9 PCs includes Dark Souls II and the three DLC chapters as well, but none of the previously listed additions.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/25/dark-souls-ii-coming-to-xbox-one-ps4-next-year?watch

Which is it now?

Valnen

Your loss and only your loss.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Microsoft will never agree to that. See FFXIV: ARR.
How boneheaded of them. It makes things better for users on their platform as well. And in the case of 14, they don't even maintain the servers. This fucking industry, sometimes I don't know what to say: lol.

Edit: Dudes, don't let this shit dissuade you from buying Bloodbourne. This decision rests solely with Scamco, don't punish Sony/FROM for it.

Alastor

Wonder what i get for free if i only have DS2 for pc without dlc and season pass.

A patch with this:

Additional NPCs added for an enhanced story experience.
Parameter adjustments for improved game balance.
Augmented item descriptions.
Improved online matchmaking functionality.

So existing owners get this new edition for free?

Guess i'll buy the game on the upcoming steam sale and wait for april to get the update.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So existing owners get this new edition for free?

Guess i'll buy the game on the upcoming steam sale and wait for april to get the update.
Not the graphical enhancements. If you want those you better wait. No upgrades either because Scamco's gonna scam.

Mooreberg

SCE and Namco have nothing to do with each other as far as product decision making goes. The fact that the releases are likely to be four weeks apart shows that. The lack of PS3 > PS4, 360 > One, and uh... PC > PC is crazy though. The last time I remember something basically the same being split six ways was all the crazy ranked/player duplication of game modes in GTA IV + episodes. I wonder if this was planned all along, or simply a response to the fairly obvious shift of software sales to the new platforms. On one hand it is incredibly obvious, on the other hand, their implementation seems like a hasty mess. Either way, I'm glad I passed on it earlier this year.

Ferr986

Man, I loved DS2 but whats the point on releasing it just a couple of weeks after Bloodborne? i'll be busy with that game.
This should be released earlier that BB, February at most.

There are a lot of things I wasn't a fan of in Dark Souls 2, but it was still quite a lot of fun... even though I never finished it.
After I maxed out my Great Scythe, only to realize it was garbage compared to my Great Scythe in Dark Souls 1.

I'll probably end up double dipping though. I heard the DLC is pretty great too, so that'll be nice. Coming out so soon after Bloodborne seems risky though. A couple months later would probably be better for sales.

duckroll

Okay we have an official super clear comparison between all the versions of this re-release, including a comparison with what will be in the 1.10 Patch for last-gen owners.

http://darksouls.jp/pc/scholar_of_the_first_sin_specmatrix.html

The chart is in Japanese, so I'll translate the column on the left indicating the features. The rest should be self-explanatory.

New Features:
- New characters and events (Included in all versions of SoFS, will be added in the 1.10 Patch for existing users)
- Story and world additions (Included in all versions of SoFS, will be added in the 1.10 Patch for existing users)
- Graphics and performance upgrades (Only included in next-gen versions of SoFS)
- Improved online multiplayer (Only included in next-gen versions of SoFS)
- Enemy and game design adjustments (Only included in next-gen versions of SoFS)
- Various balancing tweaks (Included in all versions of SoFS, will be added in the 1.10 Patch for existing users)

Included DLC:
- DLC1 (Included in all versions of SoFS, not included in the 1.10 Patch)
- DLC2 (Included in all versions of SoFS, not included in the 1.10 Patch)
- DLC3 (Included in all versions of SoFS, not included in the 1.10 Patch)

- Supports existing save data (Supported for all last-gen versions of SoFS and the 1.10 Patch, not supported for next-gen versions of SoFS)

- Game Server Region (PS3 = A, 360 = B, PC(DX9) = C, PS4 = D, XBO = E, PC(DX11) = F)

Distribution:
- Retail
- Digital

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
While I appreciate the thought bamco unless this fixes all the hitboxes, enemy tracking, adds more weapon animations etc I doubt I'll buy this. Certainly not at launch as I'll be busy with bloodborne. A proper remaster of the whole trilogy would interest me but I know that'll never happen. Never did play the dlc though so maybe when it's $20 but otherwise no thx. Let from make something new plz

Beepos

Glad I didn't get the DLC for the PC. May as well just get this copy...

edit - wait, is it cheaper for me to get the season pass as the 1.10 adds most features for PC (since I assume the visuals will still be the same)? Or do I get even better graphical options from DX11?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Enemy and game design adjustments (Only included in next-gen versions of SoFS)

Uh. Fuck.

Edit: Would enhanced lighting and torches being important to the gameplay count as a game design adjustment?

Mooreberg

Okay we have an official super clear comparison between all the versions of this re-release, including a comparison with what will be in the 1.10 Patch for last-gen owners.

http://darksouls.jp/pc/scholar_of_the_first_sin_specmatrix.html

The chart is in Japanese, so I'll translate the column on the left indicating the features. The rest should be self-explanatory.

New Features:
- New characters and events (Included in all versions of SoFS, will be added in the 1.10 Patch for existing users)
- Story and world additions (Included in all versions of SoFS, will be added in the 1.10 Patch for existing users)
- Graphics and performance upgrades (Only included in next-gen versions of SoFS)
- Improved online multiplayer (Only included in next-gen versions of SoFS)
- Enemy and game design adjustments (Only included in next-gen versions of SoFS)
- Various balancing tweaks (Included in all versions of SoFS, will be added in the 1.10 Patch for existing users)

Included DLC:
- DLC1 (Included in all versions of SoFS, not included in the 1.10 Patch)
- DLC2 (Included in all versions of SoFS, not included in the 1.10 Patch)
- DLC3 (Included in all versions of SoFS, not included in the 1.10 Patch)

- Supports existing save data (Supported for all last-gen versions of SoFS and the 1.10 Patch, not supported for next-gen versions of SoFS)

- Game Server Region (PS3 = A, 360 = B, PC(DX9) = C, PS4 = D, XBO = E, PC(DX11) = F)

Distribution:
- Retail
- Digital
So it is treated as two different products on PC as far as player interaction goes? Somebody did not think this through at all.

undu

After all the flak they got with the lightning I still don't understand why would they make people pay for improved graphics on PC, seems like a recipe for big backlash.

Card Boy

Banned
Glad i waited along with GTA5 and Last of Us. Fucken knew this was going to happen. Beyond is gonna happen so no use buying the last gen version of that. Also anyone with half a brain would wait for next gen version of Borderlands: The Prequel (if your a console player)

Shinjica

Check out clever clogs over here.

If it's "okay" and you feel so great about yourself, why don't you go back to fighting the good fight by just enjoying the games you enjoy. You think anyone's gonna be swayed by such "part of the problem" nonsense?

Go ahead and call the publishers liars every time this happens. It's never going to change the way they operate. Just make your own informed decisions and buy/play what you want to play.

It change something when Xbox One was intended to be released with mandatory internet connection and other shit that people, complaining, got removed. So no, dont buy it can do something.

But they are your money, do what do you think is good for you.

I will double dip, but not until I am through with Bloodborne. I expect that game to keep me occupied for a good while. Once I'm ready for Dark Souls 2, it should be a bit cheaper.

Top Bottom